Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy is Illy Different?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is Illy Different?
    Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 03:02
Originally posted by Vanerin Vanerin wrote:

Quote 6)  I'm sure I've omitted important questions, so please make any other comments too.
Well, this is not an important question, but I would love to hear why people help new players here in illy.

I think this is a very interesting and important question, Vanerin. Thank you for asking it.

Illy has a very unique and newbie friendly community that is pretty different, imo... It would be interesting to learn whether folks think this is true, how folks think this came about, and what makes Illy keep it going (or what Illy needs to do to keep it going)...

Edited by Kumomoto - 12 Dec 2011 at 20:49
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 09:27
I think it is because of the mechanics of the game. 

Because growth is exponential and your resource income is too, there is always going to be a point where you get so much resource income, you don't know what to do with it anymore. Then if someone is new and you can help them, it won't really affect your own growth.

For them, a shipment of say 20k res, is an enormous amount they can build with for days, for you it is nothing. Other games don't usually have mechanics like this, or at least, carried to this extreme.

Then the fact that attacking people often gets you little reward makes it so that people aren't really interested in attacking. The few people that do attack weaker players, quickly get smacked down for being "nasty people" even though this would be considered normal in other games. In fact, if attacking would be more profitable, more would do it and the community reaction would be different. If everyone gobbles up their neighbour because it makes them stronger, noone will bother doing something about it. 

Of course the mechanics also draws a certain type of player so that this effect is magnified. People are nice because of the game mechanics and the game mechanics draw nice people to the game. 
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 14:26
about financial help, i think Innoble covered the subject. Exponential growth mechanics and unprofitable attacks seems to be the main reasons for me as well.

About help alliances give in terms of advices, it think everything turns arount the complexity of the game.
Experienced players spent time and work in learning about Illy and they want to share theire knowledge with new players not for them to make the horrible mistakes they made themselves. Also, as this is complexe, new players have to speak a lot and ask loads of questions to understand the game; that create links, a good communauty and Alliances want to regroup all of these newbies to give advises to everyone at the same time, not to repeat themselves endlessly :p.
Also, still because of the complexity, experienced players that know most of things you have to know about the game really are demanded by bigger alliances, who like to recruit knowledgeable players or train them by themselves to have mates they could count on and increase theire efficiency. Also these players could one day become advisors for nexbies and give older players some relief ;p

Edited by Mandarins31 - 11 Dec 2011 at 14:27
Moraki View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 16:24
As a new gamer i think that its also the way people that play the game see it!!
Ofc the mechanics help with that but being a tard is not driven by the mechanics

I want to live on your hug!
Cheers2012 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 13:35
Because growth is exponential and your resource income is too, there is always going to be a point where you get so much resource income, you don't know what to do with it anymore. Then if someone is new and you can help them, it won't really affect your own growth.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 15:21
Originally posted by Cheers2012 Cheers2012 wrote:

FYI-- Resource income caps out...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic