Topic ClosedWhy are we fighting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 00:19
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

And this is the sad state of matters we're faced with. Players blindly go to war because 'They declared against our confeds' instead of asking 'Why are we fighting in the first place?'

Kind of like some war I am thinking of that may or may not have occurred in real life, I can not rightly remember. 
Eternal Fire
Meagh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 00:55

And this is the sad state of matters we're faced with. Players blindly go to war because 'They declared against our confeds' instead of asking 'Why are we fighting in the first place?'

If you obligate yourself to do this by confeding in that manner... the question should not be asked - only the obligation fulfilled. - M.

Edited by Meagh - 07 Nov 2013 at 00:57
WeeAshley View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 01:47
Hello Epidemic!  Hope things are well.  Haven't talked to you in forever!

I think you are confusing the term "blindly going to war" for "going to war for different reasons than I would."  Although "blindly going to war" does have a nicer punch to it ;)

"Why we are fighting" is because "they declared on our friends."  Long before they declared on our friends we had a big "Confederation" note in both of our diplomacy profiles. When declaring it was known that we were apt to come to their aid and we had an iron-clad history of doing so.

So we get back to my initial point... The argument that, "your confederates shouldn't be aided because they did x y and z - and those are irrefutable and unforgivable sins."  ... and all the spin around that fluff.  To which I state, we are not the aggressors.

I truly hope your fishing trip is going well.  And maybe if some of these diplomats get off their asses and we are all friends again I will join you.  I'll bring the beer.

Respectfully,

Edited by WeeAshley - 07 Nov 2013 at 01:48
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 04:08
Originally posted by WeeAshley WeeAshley wrote:

"Why we are fighting" is because "they declared on our friends."

And maybe if some of these diplomats get off their asses and we are all friends again I will join you.
i do hope this isn't a common position, because ceasing to be friends with someone because they are on a different side of a war for which you don't understand the reasons seems quite fickle to me.

Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 06:52
Angrim is equally questioning...

I've tried to stay quiet while folks have questioned Angrim's neutrality, but it sort of pisses me off when folks who are scrupulously neutral get accused of being on my side when they have been incredibly clear they aren't.

For all of you out there... Being neutral is NOT the same as being on the side of H?.... Angrim has never ever been an H? apologist. Quite the contrary... if you all actually have read the forums, Angrim and I have fenced quite a lot...

Anyway... I'm probably doing him horrible damage by posting here, but the reality is too unfair for me to remain silent... This is the guy who is, arguably, the most impartial of anyone...

I guess the fact that I suggested him as a mediator instantly makes him evil...

I can't help myself... Doesn't that suggest something about the folks doing this? The folks who started this war against H??

Srry, Angrim. I know you hate being dragged into it, but you have been...

Edited by Kumomoto - 07 Nov 2013 at 06:53
Aristeas View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 12:00
Hey Wee Handshake

Just a short comment:

"Some people declared war on a member of our confederation.  It would be dishonourable not to fight."

Possibly, but not necessarily. You can deem it befitting for your friends/allies to join you in every thing you do, even in your errors and follies or you can deem it much more appropriate for them to hinder you from your greatest mistakes. At least I would rather have my allies telling me that I am on this years nominee-list for the Darwin Award, then have them actually getting the Darwin award with me posthumously Wink 
WeeAshley View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 12:59
Originally posted by Aristeas Aristeas wrote:

Hey Wee Handshake

Just a short comment:

"Some people declared war on a member of our confederation.  It would be dishonourable not to fight."

Possibly, but not necessarily. You can deem it befitting for your friends/allies to join you in every thing you do, even in your errors and follies or you can deem it much more appropriate for them to hinder you from your greatest mistakes. At least I would rather have my allies telling me that I am on this years nominee-list for the Darwin Award, then have them actually getting the Darwin award with me posthumously Wink 
Ahhh Ari.  My German friend.  You forget the cardinal rule: "Don't make stupid friends."

As long as you live by that you don't need to worry. :D
WeeAshley View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 13:13
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

"Why we are fighting" is because "they declared on our friends."

And maybe if some of these diplomats get off their asses and we are all friends again I will join you.
i do hope this isn't a common position, because ceasing to be friends with someone because they are on a different side of a war for which you don't understand the reasons seems quite fickle to me.

Ahh - I understand your confusion!  For the OCD textual critics out there let me clarify:

"They declared on our friends" - I am using 'friends' in it's more familial sense.  These are people I have a connection to, and you attacking them gets in the way of our weekly poker games.

"We are all friends again" - I am referring more in the militaristic "don't shoot friendlies" sense. Now that there are a lot of red dots across the map I can't risk venturing out to our weekly poker game else I am shot by an unfriendly. I have a lot of poker chips and getting shot may cause me to drop some. Once we are "all friendly" again I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I wish English had more than one word for "friend" because it has multiple, clearly distinct meanings. Big smile

Respectfully,
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 13:34
it needs to be stated over and over again, this is a silly game..real life issues should not be used..it has military features that allow us to compete against each other...we should be enjoying the game and just remember real life is totally different...we are warring cause we are competing in the game...good luck to everyone and don't take it so serious...give us ur A game u worthless scum
Aristeas View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 16:01
Well Wee, even non-stupid people are prone to err, and intelligence can sometimes escalate a problem instead of stopping it from arising. I mean, "even" my university is so full of such nasty political intrigues that you sometimes have to wonder how the staff got their positions and academic degrees... 

Of course it´s somehow nice to make once a decision and later just react according to this old consideration and decision, but while it makes things easier and better managable, it also increases the propability of acting inappropriatly to a situation. Doing the think-tank for a month of course has the problem of increasing the propability to not act at all or to act too late^^

Probably it´s a paradoxy we can´t escape, but that also means that the other view on this issue (at least in my view^^) is also quite reasonable in itself. And I would guess, that some sort of combination of both would be most adviseably.

It´s too late to stop this all now, but not too late to think about some forms of behaviours, that seem to have given rise to the current situation. It´s very probably not by chance, that NC was used as an occasion and not DLords, as former are forseeably prone to war. If you really dislike war, as H? stated, then having an ally, that through it´s behaviour is either directly causing mistrust and enmity towards them and you or through it´s predictability is giving an easy and seemingly valid occasion for a war, may be a stupid thing...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic