Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Treasure Chests / Faction Drops / Guards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treasure Chests / Faction Drops / Guards
    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 17:09
Last month a newer player suggested an implementation of Treasure Chests: http://https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/suggestion-for-developers_topic10816_page2.html which many have found to be a great idea from what we can see further in the post. It has also gained some traction in the Alliance Chats and Global Chat since then.

Quotes below are from when the Treasure Chest idea started and then got some attention from GM Stormcrow.

--
Originally posted by Relyges2 Relyges2 wrote:

Hellooo.......

like to see treasure  spots if you scout them like ....1000 rare minral or rare herb and  buildings with a couple thousend books or magic shards and essences.and a building full off armours bows swords spears.

Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

Treasure chests could work in one way or the other. I quite like that idea. We should discuss that one in a separate thread for treasure chests alone. My thoughts are this though: 
 How big should the guard be. How many treasure chests should be able to be on the map at the same time. What should the prizes be? Medals? Prestige scraps? T3 or T4 advanced crafted items? Shards? Essences? Etc.. imo it should be hard to defeat the guard and maybe then also find a key for the chest in surrounding terrain like Caves/Mines using thieves or one of the other diplo units sent to these locations to trigger the opening of the chest or gain access to fight the guard in the first place. Quite intriguing idea all in all :) 

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

I think this is a very interesting idea, and would love to get some further thoughts.

Best wishes,

SC

Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

My thoughts are that if a treasure chest system were to be implemented, incorporating it into the existing faction patrols make sense- it gives them something to patrol for. 

Each faction should then drop things related to their race/faction; shards and essences of attributes that correspond to the faction such as fortitude and protection for dwarf factions, crafted equipment in small quantities, wine from trading factions, crafted horses from factions like the apaxu which are know for horse riding. 

Under this, treasure chest may be the wrong term, but instead something like faction shipment.

If/when faction AI fully is released, attacking these shipments could be worked into faction standings.

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

My thoughts are that if a treasure chest system were to be implemented, incorporating it into the existing faction patrols make sense- it gives them something to patrol for. 

Each faction should then drop things related to their race/faction; shards and essences of attributes that correspond to the faction such as fortitude and protection for dwarf factions, crafted equipment in small quantities, wine from trading factions, crafted horses from factions like the apaxu which are know for horse riding. 

Under this, treasure chest may be the wrong term, but instead something like faction shipment.

If/when faction AI fully is released, attacking these shipments could be worked into faction standings.

^^ This.

I'm spending much of this month on things Faction, and I think this is "totes amazeballs awesomesauce", as I believe the youth of today might have it.  

SC

Originally posted by Asvenger Asvenger wrote:

Support random chest drops. Might work best if done rarely, advance notice to build up excitement, and in connection with a game event such as an anniversary, special tourney, seasonal change, or lunar event. Has there ever been an eclipse (except when the system went down for upgrades?)

Also, would be great to get something interesting from factions - especially rare gear, minerals, and herbs where they are mentioned in connection with a faction in game lore

--
To sum this up, there are some different ideas out there already. We need some more ideas and some more support for this.

The part including the Faction drops and the differing variables from each faction is imo the most functional one thus far, as it makes sense to the existing game. I see some areas of the map being more lucrative than others, which could lead to some imbalance, but maybe factions could travel greater distances than what they already do and this would change that imbalance.

Happy posting and thinking Beer

Anyone and everyone are welcome to join the discussion Clap

PublicRelations
HumanResources
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 17:11
Surely some regional imbalance is not a bad thing? There's already regional imbalance with factions based on where hostile factions are.
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 17:38
I see it as a bad thing as the games playerbase has somewhat already bunkered up in certain areas and wouldn't want to move away from where they are, which could lead to a few angry players.

Maybe a brand new faction could be introduced, that travels around the map to all the regions- The more regions it has visited, the more rewards (Items/Anatomies/Shards/Essences/T3,T4/) it gets. But it also gets harder to defeat. It doesn't hang around for long on its destination squares and moves on quickly. Maybe it makes 2 stops within a region to trade with the different factions associated with that regions area, maybe more. But then it hangs around for an hour, maybe 2 hours, maybe more. 
In the end it gets ph4t l3wt and chills close to a hub for a little while before it disappears and then the window of opportunity for killing it and getting all the ph4t l3wt is gone forever.
There could be a total hard cap of this faction roaming the map simultaneously. Something like 4 in Elgea and 4 in Broken Lands, or so and they switch around, travelling the sea up/down to increase their treasure capacity.
Hm?

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 19:55
People were bunkered down before the tournaments, and they've adapted to those becoming a regular thing. 
I like the idea of there being significant regional differences, it adds another later of strategy. All regions should get some treasure from their factions, but some regions will give better drops for certain playstyles. 
And, with different regions shifting in importance, there's more potential for "friction" as people vie for the best spots.

I do like the idea of a roving faction though, that does sound cool. Potentially something to replicate the travels described in the various BL faction pages as they are discovered, with a quest or event or something happening if the group is allowed to complete its journey. Maybe a mix of both.
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Bep Cow View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bep Cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 20:12
there could me a "shield" for non-participants in the area?

(tresure hunters!)
(most loot collected in certain time peroid gets choose of random fre chest?)
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 23:23
Treasure chests would be way cool, especially if they were regionally allocated and contained things that had to be traded across regions (such as rare materials with one part of a crafting recipe in Broken Lands and the other part in Elgea).

Consider including things in treasure chests that could alter faction standing and/or change aesthetics -- like being able to fly a faction banner over your city, or have a different city skin and/or a different avatar.

The idea of taking faction troops hostage to shield from faction attacks (in the long term) sounds sort of fun.
Beleg View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 17:18
I like the travelling faction, winnable faction banner, hostages and new avatar ideas
BrianN View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 04:47
The problem with regional allocation is that different regions of Illy are not even close to equal.  The fact that the Calumnex tourney square counts as much as the Middle Kingdom tourney square is bull.  The PvP situation in Elgea is miles away from the PvP situation in the BL.  The fact that just as many skyfallen stones land on the Stormstone Island as do in Tallimare is silly.  These things make some land more valuable than others just like NPC distribution, but while NPC distribution has been around forever, the tourney bonus and skyfall stone unevenness of distribution has arbitrarily given certain people an unearned advantage. 
The more you segment off a feature, the more uneven it becomes.  If you give out X by region, it causes a ton more inequality than if you do by the entire map.  Giving one treasure chest by region would once more inflate the power of those in the smaller and less populated regions.
Ill say again what I said on the other thread:
The main problem with trade in Illy is scarcity...mainly that after 10 years there isnt really any.  I proved this in the anatomies market with all of the formerly rare parts (Black Panther Fur, Saurian Entrails, Mammoth parts) which I can harvest in quantities that would crash the market.  There's no anatomy market i cant crash due to the scarcity of that part.  The only markets i cant crash are those with not a scarcity, but a very high demand (Charger parts, Wolf Furs) that one person alone cant fulfill.  We need stuff that is very rare...the last weapon update helped with this, but really, shards arent that difficult either and if I wanted to go that way I could crash those markets as well as there are always a ton of them out there on the map. 

Part of the reason why the game is losing people and interest is because that after building up to 10 cities, really what else is there to do?  I mean, it took me years, but ive basically cornered nearly every rare anatomy market with just one account.  Other than the long slog to get more cities, what can you do? 
Due to the overwhelming advantage of defense over offense in PvP, and the overwhelming outcry over any PvP action, you cant hope to do anything in a PvP sense unless you have several massive alliances working together.  Due to that you also cant really do anything in the rare mineral and herbs markets either as most of the rare supply is claimed by flatliners.
Virtually all online games now are way too dynamic, you cant really build anything of note, thats a great thing about illy is that you can build something and not just have some bored jerk come around and kick it down for yucks.  But illy has become too stagnant, after you get to 9 towns, the only thing to do is to continue to do days long builds for the long slog to get another town.  Its why so many people here flat out abandon accounts only to make new ones. 
We are so starved of amusement that people just destroy years of work in order to try a different race or identity.  The implementation of very rare, only 1 or 2 at a time on the entire map, new equipment/abilities/etc that can be captured will breathe new life into the game.
The skyfall stones were a good idea, the tournaments were a good idea, but each only sort of addressed the issue.  They were made so plentiful (im sure) because the devs were afraid of the cries of "only the very strong can take advantage".  But there has to be SOMETHING that the very strong can take advantage of...because really there isnt that much to do after you've established a 9 city empire.

Edited by BrianN - 02 Sep 2021 at 04:49
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 06:29
TL;DR:
Briann, you should adapt to stuff rather than bitching about changes. Get out of your cluster, and start hunting things people want. Or, if you truly find the game boring, quit.

Originally posted by BrianN BrianN wrote:

The problem with regional allocation is that different regions of Illy are not even close to equal
The more you segment off a feature, the more uneven it becomes. 

Then move. This is a strategy game, if your strategy of forming a tight hub in Mal Moshta isn't working anymore, then change it up. Some regions being better than others gives people a reason to fight over them. Sure, its unearned at the moment, but if you want it then try to take it from those who hold it. Then it will be earned either by their resistance or your victory.

The more reason there is for players to settle outside of alliance hubs the better it will be for pvp. Part of the problem with pvp is that all plains clustering is such a dominant strategy that to win against it requires significant imbalances in sizes. In addition to this, the more reasons there are for people to fight, the better it will be for pvp, and regional differences should help increase friction.

The main problem with trade in Illy is scarcity..

The reason why you could crash those markets is because the demand for those anatomies is rock bottom. No one wants them because they're not used in large quantities for anything good. 
Illy is a strategy game and your hunting strategy is bad; you should hunt things people actually want.

Part of the reason why the game is losing people and interest is because that after building up to 10 cities, really what else is there to do
Some people like city building, you may think it's a slog but not everyone is you. Beyond that, there's hunting, crafting, tourneys, pvp, chatting, and meta projects. There are things for people to do, if you're bored then perhaps you should move on as you've clearly done all you want here.

Due to the overwhelming advantage of defense over offense in PvP, and the overwhelming outcry over any PvP action, you cant hope to do anything in a PvP sense unless you have several massive alliances working together.  Due to that you also cant really do anything in the rare mineral and herbs markets either as most of the rare supply is claimed by flatliners.
Virtually all online games now are way too dynamic, you cant really build anything of note, thats a great thing about illy is that you can build something and not just have some bored jerk come around and kick it down for yucks.  But illy has become too stagnant, after you get to 9 towns, the only thing to do is to continue to do days long builds for the long slog to get another town.  Its why so many people here flat out abandon accounts only to make new ones. 
We are so starved of amusement that people just destroy years of work in order to try a different race or identity.  The implementation of very rare, only 1 or 2 at a time on the entire map, new equipment/abilities/etc that can be captured will breathe new life into the game.
The skyfall stones were a good idea, the tournaments were a good idea, but each only sort of addressed the issue.  They were made so plentiful (im sure) because the devs were afraid of the cries of "only the very strong can take advantage".  But there has to be SOMETHING that the very strong can take advantage of...because really there isnt that much to do after you've established a 9 city empire.
What overwhelming outcry?  
Yes, you catch flak for attacking peaceful alliances, big deal. It's hardly overwhelming as otherwise you'd have stopped. Stop trying to have a victim complex when you're the aggressor.
The pvp scene has become stagnant, you're trying to force that view over the rest of the game but it doesn't fit. The reason why pvp is stagnant is that pvp alliances keep merging and allying so they never fight. Your alliance's strategy of growth by merge rather than growth by recruitment is what is killing pvp.
In addition to this, there is a massive defensive advantage, I acknowledge that, but in this very post you have argued against things that would give incentives for people to reduce their defences such as regional imbalances.
You clearly don't understand the push and pull of the frequent abandoner. Maybe you should abandon to gain more perspective.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 08:38
Some rings would be nice as treasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic