illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Mystery of the Zau Brulk Trolls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 08:30
If I'm understanding you correctly Jejune then you are saying that it will also be possible to encounter a given faction around hubs belonging to other factions depending on their relationship. Depending on whether they are hostile or friendly you may see military or trading visits. Again, this is opening up even more possibilities for influencing our standings with factions.

Attack hostile troops from another faction in the area of a hub and suddenly the hub owners are giving you a slight discount!

I'm also in slow time looking into ways of improving both the relationships and ranges tools. Not happy with how either of them work.

Tens

Edited by Tensmoor - 01 Dec 2023 at 08:32
GM Jejune View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 14:31
I think you're definitely on the right track, Tens. To be sure, Faction ranges will play a major role in the expanded behaviors of Faction units, and you're not likely to see units from Factions roaming everywhere on the map. That being said, we expanded the inter-factional relationships to give players additional opportunities to improve their standings with factions. It stands to reason that one dimension to relationships with factions will involve not only how you interact with them directly, but also how you interact with their factional friends and allies. Attacking a Faction's enemies may improve your standing with said Faction.

There are definitely inter-factional relationships that are not justified by geography; you'll find IFS relationships where the 2 factions' ranges do not intersect. However, this might be a unique opportunity: if you seek to make friends with Faction A by making enemies with Faction B, and Faction A is close to you but Faction B is farther away, that might be a good value proposition. Sure, you might have a -90 with Faction B, but they're not likely to trek far across the map to hurt you. And you might end up with +90 from Faction A, and they will join you in battle, give you cool things, etc.

Alas, I'm not being a good GM and am hijacking this thread to make it about Faction AI. However, to bring it back to Zau Brulk, their DRS and IFS numbers are all very interesting, and a good place for players to start traversing some of the inter-factional webs.

I highly recommend players bookmarking and messing with Tensmoor's very excellent Faction Relationships tool. Selecting Zau Brulk, Parvacones, Dyadans, Kingdom of Tal, and Turyns really pictorializes what we've been talking about.
Sif View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 19:59
can we interact with factions and gain/lose points by attacking their human "friends" or "enemies" ?
i whould like something like that
Freyja. View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Freyja. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 15:29
Typical morning for me, wake up, log on and see where the trolls are. Not typical was seeing Tipu Khan headed straight for the trolls. 

Switch to UIv4 and see that Tipu Khan is in fact attacking Zau Brulk in 6 minutes. 

Tipu Khan and Zau Brulk do not have any known relationship or standings, except that Tipu Khan is enemies with Pax Orcana, who are friends with Zau Brulk. Sticky situation. 

Zau Brulk wandered into Tipu Khan territory and so Tipu Khan attacked the intruding trolls. It was not the faction battle I expected, but it is a great example of faction activity and responsiveness. 
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 15:34
Awesome Freyja! First example of inter-faction fighting I've seen Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic