illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Mystery of the Fey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Freyja. View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mystery of the Fey
    Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 20:22

From the Unseelie Court:

Grumak shrugged. “The first moonlight, after dark. First moonlight opens the door.” ...

And they attacked that very night. As the moon rose and its light touched the granite slab, the stone swung back and a dark passageway stood open, undefended. A thousand Orcs roared and rushed forward, armour clanking, heavy boots thundering into the passage, war-cries echoing down the tunnel.

Per GM Jejune on this thread:

I wonder what would happen if the right person caught the right Fey at the right time?

Background info:

The full story of the Lost Legend of Murkack (includes The Herald article, all 3 faction stories in order of occurrence)

The right time is 1900. That is when night begins in the Illy world.

But what do we do? where? who is the "right person"?

Let's brainstorm. All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Even bad ideas can lead to other, better ideas, so let's hear it all.

I've been pondering about this time thing for years and the only thing I've come up with is that we should not use armies. Murkach used armies and things ended badly for him.

From the Sylvans:

To take fifty warriors against the Sylvans, the low Fey, had been foolish. He was too angry to realize that to take twenty times that number against the high Fey was twenty times more foolish.

So, armies are foolish. We have to do something else. Diplos? Traders?

Any ideas? All are welcome. Email me in game if you prefer. 

bzn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 21:38
i think players made this lore as part of that player council, i am doubting any of the npc movement stuff has anything related to the mysteries. i think a dev should give you a simple hint or nudge in the right direction for all the hard work you are doing, considering how much time this must take and how you are one of the only people doing it
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 22:16
I can confirm that we weren't involved in the writing of the Legend of Murkack. 
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
Freyja. View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 23:00
The article in The Herald about the lost legend of Murkach pre-dates the player's council formation. Player's did not create the lore, not in The Herald nor the faction stories. 

We did get a nudge from Jejune on the other thread that I linked to. He confirmed that the time thing is something. We don't ever get that, but now, we have a hint and nudge. That's exactly what this post is about. Nudge, nudge. Hint, hint. 

Also, I am not the only one. There are other players who email me about stuff. I post to the forum and slack so everyone can see it and I don't have send out lots of individual emails. I talked about this topic years ago too, with other players who were interested in the mystery. It's not a new idea and we're still talking about it, just not in gc or the forum. We're a behind the scenes kind of group. 

As for faction movements, I am creating territory maps for each faction and it doesn't have anything to do with mysteries. It's about having information for making decisions regarding trade and city placement. It might also be useful for mysteries, but that is not the main goal of the faction territory mapping project. The exception is the Zau Brulk trolls who are up to something, and Jejune's reply confirms that too. 

There is a mystery to solve with the Fey. Jejune's post was a slap in the face confirmation for a clue we have always known about, but still don't know what to do. 
Asvenger View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 17:49
Has anyone tried sending individual scouts or spies arriving at 19:00?
Freyja. View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 05:48
Asvenger, that is exactly what I'm thinking too. Maybe traders. 
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 15:53
Originally posted by Freyja. Freyja. wrote:

The article in The Herald about the lost legend of Murkach pre-dates the player's council formation. Player's did not create the lore, not in The Herald nor the faction stories. 

We did get a nudge from Jejune on the other thread that I linked to. He confirmed that the time thing is something. We don't ever get that, but now, we have a hint and nudge. That's exactly what this post is about. Nudge, nudge. Hint, hint. 

Also, I am not the only one. There are other players who email me about stuff. I post to the forum and slack so everyone can see it and I don't have send out lots of individual emails. I talked about this topic years ago too, with other players who were interested in the mystery. It's not a new idea and we're still talking about it, just not in gc or the forum. We're a behind the scenes kind of group. 

As for faction movements, I am creating territory maps for each faction and it doesn't have anything to do with mysteries. It's about having information for making decisions regarding trade and city placement. It might also be useful for mysteries, but that is not the main goal of the faction territory mapping project. The exception is the Zau Brulk trolls who are up to something, and Jejune's reply confirms that too. 

There is a mystery to solve with the Fey. Jejune's post was a slap in the face confirmation for a clue we have always known about, but still don't know what to do. 

When I get a chance in between everything else I'm trying to come up with an improved method of scanning the whole map (currently it takes me about 2 days of doing nothing else) to capture sightings of Factions. encampments are fairly easy but moving armies not so much. Obviously all the data I get will be made available to anyone that wants it.

Edited by Tensmoor - 01 Dec 2023 at 15:54
Freyja. View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 18:00
This is a screenshot of the Faction Relationship Tool and I choose the 3 Fey factions to show. 

The red lines show hate, and green is like. Using the tool, you can hover over the other faction sigils and see their names. 

Starting with Unseelie Court, and moving around the circle clockwise, the factions are 
Brotherhood of Kerala
Apaxu
Kildarran
Kingdom of Larn
Keepers of Golden Fields
Order of Allembine
(Sylvans)
Zau Brulk
Udaiman

Some things to note:
Sylvans and Unseelie Court do not have a known relationship.
Sylvans do not have a known relationship with Illyriad Trade Council (are 20 squares from each other).
All 3 Fey factions have a hate relationship with Zau Brulk, and all 3 also have a friendly relationship with Keepers of Golden Fields. 
Seelie Court is friendly with Apaxu, but Unseelie Court hates Apaxu. 

The Default Racial Standings are also interesting. 
Seelie Court

human:  -25

elf:  10

dwarf:  -25

orc:  -30

Unseelie Court

human:  -50

elf:  -60

dwarf:  -45

orc:  -40

Sylvans

human:  0

elf:  10

dwarf:  0

orc:  -10

The standings for Unseelie Court mean that Blackbriar is not a usable hub, and that they will attack camps of humans and elves. 

The "first moonlight opens the door" clue might just be about gaining access to the hub. But I will always hope for a mystery LOL. 

But why do Unseelie Court hate elves so much, when the other 2 like elves? hmm ... 

Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 07:49
Has anyone tried camping a small army with diplos attached on tiles they are known to camp on?
Freyja. View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freyja. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 16:44
Yes, I did it with the Sylvans and they flipped out because they couldn't occupy their favorite 3 squares, and there was also an herbalist harvesting the rare herb. So, they had nowhere to go. 

This video was made before I put a town there and I put scouts and spies in my armies so I could see their army sizes. 

They spawned and de-spawned right through my armies. I didn't even get patrol reports. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic