illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Code: Final Draft for Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Code: Final Draft for Feedback
    Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 05:47
This is - hopefully - the final draft of the code of conduct that I and others have been working on and are planning to embrace, most likely within the next week or so. Our hope is that it will make it more fun and less risky for those who wish to engage in military play to do so, but recognize that will only be possible if enough players are willing to give it a try.

THE CODE

Preamble
To encourage friendly and fair contests of strength among all willing Illyrians, we, the honour-bound Adherents to The Code, put forth the following code of conduct for the consideration of all.

Note that this code is entirely optional, applies only to interactions between those who have willingly adopted it, and in no way restricts the gameplay of those who have not.

Articles
1. Friendly War. I may, at times, seek out friendly conflict with other Adherents to The Code. It shall be understood by all parties that such a conflict carries with it no anger, hostility, or ill will, and therefore may be deemed a "friendly war".
2. Public War Declarations. I shall publicly declare a friendly war prior to any military action by creating a War Declaration thread on the forums proclaiming that this conflict is to be carried out under The Code, with a link to this post. This declaration will include a link to my profile, my current population, a link to the profile of my opponent, and my opponent's current population. Furthermore, I shall not declare a friendly war during the first three days after proclaiming or resuming my adherence to The Code.
3. Fair Targets Only. I shall only declare a friendly war against another Adherent who has a population no less than half my own population, whose growth charts show activity within the past week, and who is not currently engaged in a similar war, said war having been previously and publicly declared.
4. Joining Existing Conflicts. I shall only join an existing conflict if my population plus those on whose side I would join would not be more than twice the population of the opposing side, and only upon receiving a written request by the primary participant (being the active participant with the earliest join date) on whose side I would join. Furthermore, I shall post notice of joining the conflict within its War Declaration thread prior to any military action, and shall include in that post the written request to join it, the name of the requestor, and my current population. Further, I shall not join an existing conflict during the first three days after proclaiming or resuming my adherence to The Code.
5. Yielding & Tribute. I shall cease all hostilities against an opponent if I am shown proof that a payment in gold equal to 100 times that opponent's initial population (as captured in the War Declaration thread), hereafter known as tribute, has been sent towards the primary participant on my side. This will serve as an offer to yield, which I shall automatically accept. If I am the yielding player, I shall post notice of this action on the War Declaration thread, which will serve as proof I have yielded, and end my participation in that conflict for no less than three months.
6. Peace & Right of Vassalage. Upon having accepted an opponent's yield in a friendly war, I pledge not to attack them or join in a conflict against them for a period of no less than three months. Furthermore, I shall accept their Right of Vassalage, should they choose to claim it, in which case I shall pledge to protect them from any who would aggress against them for a period of no less than three months and shall add their name to a "Vassals" section within my profile. If it is I who am claiming Right of Vassalage, then I shall state that claim in my yield notice on the War Declaration thread, and during the time it is in effect I shall add "Liege: " followed by the name of the primary opponent near the top of my profile.
7. Lieges & Vassals. I recognize that any two players may agree to adopt a liege/vassal relationship at any time, provided that a vassal may have only one liege, and that the liege is to protect the vassal, the vassal to faithfully support the liege and post notice of this relationship in this thread with a link to their profile, and for both players' profiles to be updated to publicly proclaim that relationship. Furthermore, I understand that any change in this relationship must be proclaimed by a post in this thread by the initiator of that change, and reflected in the profiles of both players at the first opportunity. Further, that I may not include the population of a player's liege or any vassals when considering whether that player is a fair target, even though a liege may join a conflict on the side of their attacked vassal - as they are honour-bound to do - even if this results in the combined population of their side being greater than twice that of their opponent, which is otherwise restricted by Article 3.
8. Adoption by Alliances. I understand that The Code is not limited to individuals, but may be adopted by alliances. In the event an alliance adopts The Code, its profile page is to be used in place of a player's profile page, its leader is to be treated as the point of contact for purposes of tribute and yielding, and the current member list along with their populations (as taken from the Alliance Members page) is to be posted in the War Declaration thread and their combined populations are to be used for determining the fairness of a target as well as the amount of tribute the alliance must pay should it wish to yield. If individual players leave an alliance during war, they may be considered part of the conflict until they pay their individual tribute.
9. Ceasing Hostilities Without Tribute. I understand that I may release an agreeable opponent from conflict at any time, for any reason, without receiving tribute, and will post notice thereof on the War Declaration thread.
10. Titles of Honour: I shall recognize those who follow The Code and honour them by a title related to their number of vassals, including in this number any and all sub-vassals, which may be taken from any culture as long as it is roughly equivalent to the following:
Sir: no vassals
Lord/Lady: 1 vassal
Baron/Baroness: 3 vassals
Count/Countess: 7 vassals
Duke/Duchess: 15 vassals
Petty King/Petty Queen: 50 vassals
King/Queen: 100 vassals
High King/High Queen: 250 vassals
11. Proclaiming & Suspending Adherence. I shall publicly proclaim my adherence to The Code by posting notice thereof to this thread with a link to my profile, and at the top of my profile shall write "Adherent to The Code: " followed by a link back to this thread. Furthermore, should I ever choose to suspend adherence to The Code, I shall post notice thereof in this same thread and change the wording on my profile to "Adherent to The Code (Suspended)".
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 22:35
So far, so good. Lots of private, positive responses!

One issue - some of you don't have a forum account and don't intend to create one, which impacts your ability to use the forums to declare your adherence to The Code and your involvement in any friendly wars. That should be fine...I'll just tweak the final verbiage to make it clear that a post needs to be made to the forum, and that someone else can make that post on your behalf (I'm sure you can ask another adherent - including me! - to make that post for you).

Also, if anyone is a banner expert, there was a suggestion that an Adherent to The Code banner be made for us to place at the top of our profile. Here's my attempt, such as it is:

Graphics aren't really my thing, so if anyone else cares to take a pass at it, please do so and post it in this thread!

In the absence of further feedback, I'm planning on posting the final version of The Code in the next few days and declaring my own adherence to it! Smile

At that point, I'll be encouraging others to join me in this experiment, give it a try, and see if it ups the fun of this game of ours! Big smile

Yours,

Mafro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic