FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terra, prestige referral, and YOU!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 22:27
It's true, the developers would have been completely justified in just bringing the hammer down on the rulebreakers.  Personally I think they're showing more mercy than people deserve.

Dang, so much for my resolution to be less judgmental.
palmz View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 22:32
My understanding has always been you can have no more then two active accounts, but I have been playing less then a year. 

Now for the referral issue my understanding is you may use it once for your second account. As I have not seen any confirmation from the dev's I have stayed away from doing it as I don't think it would be worth the risk to use the link just to lose my account. 

If you had to get rid of the ability to terraform or the referral link my choice would be the referral link to be cut but not the ability to terraform. (If you believe this has becomes such an issue that one or the other has to be removed) 
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 22:55
Terraforming is a vital strategy in Illy. It allows players to place a city on an otherwise less than favorable tile near necessary sov or in an area strategically needed for war. I believe it is a needed profession and is in accordance with existing Illy rules and game mechanics. The problem of player referral codes and multiaccounting has been discussed openly in global chat enough to say it is now common knowledge not to do these things. Another advantage is all of those capital cities left after the terras abandon. They provide easy targets for those who want to practice sieges. Training alliances should be using them as targets for timing exercises. If GM StormCrow would please allow us to continue terraforming, I believe a solution would be to monitor the times a player uses the referral code. A more code involved solution would be to require players to license themselves as Terraformers, which would prevent them from using the code. Harsh, yes, but how many friends do we actually bring into the game? That would be worth it to me, since I have no friends.

I look forward to reading posts from actual terraformers.

btw, WTF is recruiting. We allow our members full autonomy, but demand they follow these simple rules.
I am a Machine.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 23:08
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

If the rules were abundantly clear then I submit the above announcement would not have been necessary, surely?

The rules have been clear; you agree to them when you sign up. This was not a restatement but an announcement telling whose who might be doing it that we will be talking to them soon, and that we are considering getting rid of the affected systems.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 00:11
I agree with Rill. Since Ive played if there is one rule that has been made perfectly clear prob over all others it has been the 'two account rule'. Ive had numerous past accounts, some terras some not. Ive had to abandon, Ive made the sacrifices to assure I dont ever have more than two accounts at once. Its a tad disappointing knowing that players are monopolizing on a heavy gold-making business while having a main and an alt. cheating the game. 
IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE Angry
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 02:44
/me is trying to look like he is not worried because he is not sure if it is affected systems or effected systems. 

GM Rikoo
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 03:28
Hmmm, i think the game is affected once a player has effected it?

Hope that helps...
I am a Machine.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 04:00
A player affects the game, which is then affected.  Unless the player is a terraformer, in which case the player may effect a change that affects the game which will leave the game, in effect, affected.

The developers may soon effect systems that affect certain players in ways they do not like.

However, I personally see using effect as a verb as something of an affectation that is not effective as a tool of communication.

Edited by Rill - 29 Apr 2016 at 04:01
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 05:51
Originally posted by GM Rikoo GM Rikoo wrote:

/me is trying to look like he is not worried because he is not sure if it is affected systems or effected systems. 

GM Rikoo

Affected is just fine.

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Dang, so much for my resolution to be less judgmental.

Lol.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Oldelaf View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldelaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 23:07

The rules have been clear; you agree to them when you sign up.
Actual terraformer here (well, amateur terraformer, since I only terraform around my own cities and don't offer my services to other players).
The rule about not having more than two account have always been very clear, but not the one about the buddy program vs. terraforming. I can totally understand why GMs don't want it, but I assumed that it was allowed the same way terraforming was allowed.
When I read what is said in game about the buddy program:
Quote Share the link below and you will receive 100 free prestige for each person who signs up for Illyriad using your unique referral link and reaches 450 population. The link may be used an unlimited number of times, but remember that each player is only allowed 2 Illyriad accounts.
Reading that quote, I understand that it is implicitly allowed to use the buddy program for the second account (with or without using that second account for terraforming). Although I might have missed the rule that forbid it.
I don't really care about using the buddy program when I terraform: it was more an easy bonus than the reason why I was terraforming. Obviously now that I'm aware of the rule I will stop using the buddy program with my second account, and I can even give back the prestige that I won that way to show good faith, but please make that rule more clear.

It is getting to the point that we are considering either doing away with the ability to terra or the referral system, or both. While only a few people exploit it, they exploit it enough to be within the camp of unfair play.
An other solution could be forbidding the use of the buddy program for the second account. It shouldn't be much harder to detect than players having multiple account, and the rule is more precise that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic