illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Targeting specific animal parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Targeting specific animal parts
    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 14:43
Following a tip from somebody in GC (deep apologies but I can't remember who you are) I decided to do an experiment to see if I could get my skinners to pick up selected parts after a hunt.

After killing some Wild Dogs I scouted the drop and got this result:
13 Hides, 2 Wild Dog Heart, 6 Wild Dog Bone, 3 Wild Dog Entrail, 27 Wild Dog Fur
I decided to try for the entrails first so sent 3 skinners. They picked up the 3 entrails and returned.

Next I decided to go for the furs so sent 27 skinners. This wasn't a total success. they returned with 25 of the furs and the 2 hearts.

So while not guaranteed to work this does seem to indicate that you can influence what gets picked up by sending only the number of skinners needed for a particular item.

Tens
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 06:30
Getting feedback from folks that this doesn't always work and also a suggestion that perhaps bumping your own skinners to get the next item in the list. A lot more testing is needed to see if we can work out some sort of pattern in what gets collected first. I'll also look at trying to set something up so folks can submit their own results.
yeast View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 13:00
a single success frankly is not persuasive, can be lucky
in your wild dog case i'd send 11. If the 1st six went to bones there's a 2nd chance, if the next 2 went to hearts there's still a 3rd chance
for example 10 arctic wolf entrails accompanying many other junk drops, i always send 10. The result varies. Sometimes bingo in 1-hit. Sometimes it can be days.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by yeast yeast wrote:

a single success frankly is not persuasive, can be lucky
in your wild dog case i'd send 11. If the 1st six went to bones there's a 2nd chance, if the next 2 went to hearts there's still a 3rd chance
for example 10 arctic wolf entrails accompanying many other junk drops, i always send 10. The result varies. Sometimes bingo in 1-hit. Sometimes it can be days.

I agree but this is just the start of an experiment to see if it is possible to do with anything more than a 50% chance of getting what you want.

Sending enough to target multiple parts is something I'll probably look at later but initially I want to get data on how targeting a single part works.

Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 00:11
I have also found that sometimes what your Skinners begin with salvaging changes at the end of the process. Case in point: I was skinning two jaguar kills and I sent two Skinners To each Square, since I scouted and knew that there were two vertebrae on each. Few hours ago, one of them was harvesting hearts and the other was harvesting vertebrae. Just now, I checked in and both teams of Skinners are inbound with two furs each.

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 02:32
It's been a long time since I've done this, but I observed that if there is more than one type of anatomy on a square the skinners will pick up a DIFFERENT item on their next round from the one they pick up on the previous round. So if you have furs and entrails and the skinners pick up furs, on the next round they will pick up entrails. You can see what they're picking up and then bump them if you don't like it but this is dangerous -- it used to be that if there were two items what it displayed them harvesting was the one they _weren't_ harvesting, so in that case you would bump the ones that appeared to be picking up the thing you wanted (because then you knew they weren't).

However, like I said, it's been a while, and they may have done some coding since then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic