FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sovereignty sticking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sovereignty sticking
    Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:18
Hi everyone,

We've had a couple of small clusters of sovereignty getting stuck during upgrade or downgrade of a building, which has some knock-on effects for other sovereignty functions from the town that it occurs in.  So far, over the last month, it's affected 14 players, and, after I was made aware via petitions, they've all been 'unstuck'.

I've put in an 'every minute' loop to check when this happens, and to automatically unstick it; however I'm looking for the underlying cause, which I suspect to be an unintentional table lock on the database for certain sov functions.

I know that in the past, players have complained that some of the sovereignty display functions have been very slow to load up, and I suspect that this might be where the locking might be happening - but I'd love some help from you before I dive in!

Can anyone who has experienced slow sovereignty page load give me:

a) Their player name
b) The town
c) The exact URL of the sov page that's running terribly (and if it required a click to get there, what they page they were on, and what they clicked on before it all went slow)

Obv, if you'd prefer not to use the forum for this information, please do open an ingame petition.  The more data I have to work with, the more likely it is I can find the common cause!

With many thanks in advance,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 09 Aug 2021 at 11:19
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 13:20
Do you think the slow sov load times could be caused by a similar thing to what causes the slow commander page load times? Afaik, sov and commander pages are the only two which share that style of dropdown, so there could be a problem with how those work? Not sure how much of the backend of the commander and sov pages are shared.

Edited by eowan the short - 10 Aug 2021 at 13:21
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 18:31
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Do you think the slow sov load times could be caused by a similar thing to what causes the slow commander page load times? Afaik, sov and commander pages are the only two which share that style of dropdown, so there could be a problem with how those work? Not sure how much of the backend of the commander and sov pages are shared.
Heyya Eowan,

They're not actually shared in terms of any functionality or data - however, I'm willing to bet that the same underlying cause might be to blame... either: 

a) a lack of locking hints on the Stored Procedure(s) that retrieve(s) the data, or
b) a lack of sensible non-clustered indexing on the table(s) for sovereignty_id and commander_id, or
c) a lack of pre-caching the drop-down data so a dynamic view is created each and every page view/db call

So, thanks for mentioning the commander slowness as well - I will look into that at the same time.

Best,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 10 Aug 2021 at 18:31
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic