FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomething

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 18:12
And so the something is finished. Getting a clear picture of it proved fairly difficult though. This was the clearest picture I could get, out of around 30 that I took.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/Brids17/Stevens062.jpg

A close up at the cost of quality.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/Brids17/Stevens060.jpg

This picture didn't turn out however I liked it because it shows the scratches fairly well.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/Brids17/Stevens059.jpg

This was taken before I got the idea to place something dark and non-reflective behind it. Its a bit blurry but I like that it's stretched out and sort of upside down V shaped.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/Brids17/Stevens050-1.jpg

Lastly, I took a video of it to show what the pictures couldn't. You can see it from all different angles and even the camera doesn't do it justice. They're clearer to view by eye, though I imagine the fact that my camera sucks doesn't help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7JaBZMAnK4

I used this mostly as a test since I wanted to try to make something other then a small shape or one letter but I didn't know what to make. I should have pressed a little harder and made the scratches a bit deeper, I think that would have improved the quality a bit. I was using a new scribe compass though and I'm still not sure how hard I can press down on it without creating white (non-reflective) scratches. I also decided I would try making the scratches closer together (the more stratches, the clearer it is) so I was worried about the scratches overlapping and causing problems but there wasn't an issue with it as far as I can see.

So to explain it a bit...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/Brids17/Stevens047-1.jpg

I use a scribe compass with two metal points, one of which I dull down with sand paper. I recently bought one that lets me lock the distance between the two points which helps a lot since you generally want to keep that distance the same for the entire thing. I place the sharp point down on a spot on one of the letters in the picture, then very lightly drag the dull point along the plexiglas in a semi-circle. Once the scratch is done, I move to another point in the letter and do it again and repeat.

Each scratch acts as a small dot, so if you only make 12 scratches for a letter, you're going to get a very unclear pile of dots on the plexiglas. So the more scratches you do, the clearer the letter will get. I was going to count to see how many scratches I did but I gave up when the top of the letter I took 15 scratches. The complete I probably too around 45-50 scratches. For the most part, direct sunlight works best to see them. Another option is to have a single bright light in a dark room. I've heard street lights at night also work.

Edited by Brids17 - 13 Apr 2011 at 18:12
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 18:56
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Lastly, I took a video of it to show what the pictures couldn't. You can see it from all different angles and even the camera doesn't do it justice. They're clearer to view by eye, though I imagine the fact that my camera sucks doesn't help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7JaBZMAnK4

I'm sorry, but if this isn't the *profanity filter bypass ohnowai* coolest thing to date, I don't know what is...

Brids, sir...  Clap

SC
Strategos View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Operations

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 19:21
This is 100% sheer awesome.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 20:39
This could be marketed.
I am a Machine.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 23:23
that video is awesome, kudos.

That is just soooo much better than a boomerang.

Edited by Createure - 13 Apr 2011 at 23:25
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 01:39
Wow, I didn't realize people would find them this interesting. This was mostly just a potential hobby that I was mildly interested in trying out. The thought of possibly using them as gifts or selling them crossed my mind but the people I spoke to either didn't get it or didn't seem as interested in them as I was. Perhaps a video demonstration is needed next time I tell someone about them. 
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 18:35
That is very very cool, but I understand why it wouldn't be a good sell.

It is generally not recommended to try making money off of a hobby.  As soon as you do it stops being interesting and starts being work since a) now you have to do it and with deadlines/productivity requirements and b) someone else gets to imagine the designs and you just provide (often tedious) implementation.

The other thing about making money off a hobby is that you can't really do it.  These things are cool, but when you compare what people are willing to pay with the amount of work you have to do, you'll find you'd be making 1-4 dollars per hour.  If it weren't the case, your work wouldn't be so unique...the market would be saturated with business ventures providing the same sort of thing.  So if you're really good and live in a major metropolitan area, you can do a little local business with a tiny handful of people paying the premiums required for your high-quality and ultra-exclusive pieces.  Otherwise, it's only good for bragging rights and dazzling show-and-tell sessions with friends and family who are actually, genuinely interested...well, at first anyway.

Anyway, I promised I share too, and you can see that in this thread.
Painterman View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 19:09
This is really cool. I didntundestand squat in the start, but seeing the video blew me away:) And ta for the explenation also. Maybe I can implement this  technique into my own fine art:)
Keep it up, and soon we'll see a fully made piece of art like this from you:)
"To go against human nature is the most human thing a human can do." Larry Niven
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 18:09
So begins my attempts at replicating the actual Illyriad logo. Most of what I'll be posting for a while is just tests and attempts at the first "I". I tried replicating the flowers but they just ended up looking like unclear thick shiny circles. Not sure if those will be doable.

I had more success with the actual "I", or at least, the bottom half of it. The video quality is poor because I had to be quick (I'm out of batteries and my camera isn't exactly the easiest on them with recording) and also because I quickly scratched it in about 5 minutes. Even so, it was a lot clearer to see by eye. I noticed that my camera picks up on the sun more than my eyes, so the angle where I could see it beautifully, the camera view was obstructed by a ray of sunlight. Not the easier thing record or take pictures of. =\

For the most part, it looks good. I had to remove much of the detail within the I but the squiggly line actually didn't look half bad. The bottom didn't work out as planned. Much like the flowers it just turned into an unclear pile of light. I'll probably have to make the bottom of the "I" completely flat but I still have one more idea on how to make it work, so we'll see how that goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUuPbj_8uE
Shadar Logoth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 15:52
LOL... to be honest, when you start reading you wonder... where the hell is this leading???

Then you suddenly see where it is, indeed, leading, and you think... ok... i wouldn't have thought of that!!!

Well... that is my way of saying it's very cool anyway Thumbs Up 

Reminds me that there are so many hidden talents/skills in this world that one would never have thought off possible.

So thanks for sharing. You might have wondered what reactions you would get (just being very honest, that is how i would have felt, but then again i am not in your shoes), so that makes it even braver/cooler!)

Shad

More Orc, less talking!

All that is said is my own opinion. I am not a leader nor voice for Invictus. I will always abide by Invictus's rules.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic