Topic ClosedSomething That's Bugging Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Auraya View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something That's Bugging Me
    Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 11:00
A certain alliance which I won't name has now recruited 2 of my newbie elflings before they have completed their training. The first time, I let it slide because anyone is free to leave as they wish but the second time makes me suspect they have actively approached my newbies and encouraged them to leave. No other elfling has ever left before graduation time. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for my newbies to go there once they have graduated at 5k pop. I actively encourage them to fly the nest once they are ready, to whichever alliance they choose. I'm happy for them to pick that alliance now and will assist them to move closer to that alliance for when they graduate.. but I have a graduation requirement for a reason. 

The reason given for leaving, in both instances, is that they want to settle near their long term alliance and not have to move later. This makes no sense since they are free to settle wherever they want. I believe both have been under the impression that I am too far away to support them if they move to the opposite side of the map (which is rubbish.) They have both left before I've had the chance to explain to them.

So, should I approach this alliance and ask them to leave my players alone until they graduate? Or just ignore it as it's the choice of the newbie? I'd never try to keep someone who wanted to leave.. but I get the impression that's not the case here. 
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 11:17
I often wonder about the "potential" of new players. Inside every new player is a good vet (slowly) bursting to get out... or maybe not. So of all those casual newbies that wander in, which (if any) are going to be among your alliance's leaders in a few months' time?

You could answer your question two ways, depending on whether or not you knew those players to be strong candidates to grow to maturity. Perhaps the best answer is to accept that people come and go, and given enough turnover, you'll find the gems eventually. They'll stay if they had a rewarding experience and can find opportunities to grow in the future.

To answer your concern, perhaps just write to those players. It's possible to be objective, without crossing the boundaries that you perceive as territorial between alliances.
Meagh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 11:54
My impression is that as a training alliance, which provides a temporary service of training new players, I don't know that i'd take offense with players recruiting from your fold or deciding to leave before they've 'graduated'. Recruiting Training alliances aren't like regular alliances.. the players are supposed to move on aren't they? If they feel they're ready now then i'd say more power to them. - M.

Edited by Meagh - 29 Apr 2013 at 11:57
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 11:55
locations of cities is very important. as the last war showed u dont want to be isolated or u are deadmeat. location is also important to gather materials. by joining an alliance early your alliance can place u in areas of strategic value needed for the alliance. an alliance can also provide newbies with locations of former players and provide much needed experience in sitting a mature account. remember many alliances are competing against each other in some aspect of the game. our alliance generally provides newbies with 6 prestige a day to build with. we often gear them to the more military part of the game and are very protective of our locations in the west. we encourage people to join our alliance as soon as they start playing and similar to others use our training alliance to teach military aspects of the game. if any of peeps in your training alliance wants to join us we dont have a problem with their size but we do have problems if they are poorly located.
Grego View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 12:12
"Your newbie elflings"?
What kind of contract you make with members of your alliance?
Auraya View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 12:52
This is now being resolved via IGM. Thank you for your response - especially Albatross who was most helpful. 

I'd like to point out my concern is more for the newbies themselves and not my alliance. Larger alliances often don't have much time to nurture newbies which I feel is a shame and the player concerned was just over a week old, still learning and whilst I was asking him to hold off moving until he understood about the map, sov etc, his new alliance appears not to have an interest. 

Still, it is irrelevant now and has been taken care of. 

@Grego: Entering Q&S makes them my minions ;) Muahahahahaha! *runs off cackling*
Ossian View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 13:03
Originally posted by Auraya Auraya wrote:

This is now being resolved via IGM. Thank you for your response - especially Albatross who was most helpful. 

I'd like to point out my concern is more for the newbies themselves and not my alliance. Larger alliances often don't have much time to nurture newbies which I feel is a shame and the player concerned was just over a week old, still learning and whilst I was asking him to hold off moving until he understood about the map, sov etc, his new alliance appears not to have an interest. 

@Grego: Entering Q&S makes them my minions ;) Muahahahahaha! *runs off cackling*

A new player is no one's property. No one player nor alliance can claim ownership of a new player by claiming that they may ( or may not) know more about the game or that they sent them resources!
Halithore View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 13:08
Originally posted by twilights twilights wrote:

By joining an alliance early your alliance can place u in areas of strategic value needed for the alliance.

That's completely understandable however when you look at the city locations of 1 of the players in question for this thread and find that they've put him on a non 7 crop when a 7 crop with ideal resource layout for his race with a dolmen for crop sov is literally 5/6 tiles away you wonder if they've actually been advised on locations much at all and if so why would they not recommend the far superior tile right next to the proposed one?

Accepting people will leave is not the main issue here, elflings are encouraged to leave once we're happy they have been trained well and if they were to leave for another alliance before then who continued training them it wouldn't be so bad but these players were keen players and basing it off the locations (not the general locations but the tiles within the area they have moved to) it looks very much like they have either been left to their own business or are being poorly advised.

For a pessimist i'm pretty optimistic
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 13:46
Originally posted by Ossian Ossian wrote:

Originally posted by Auraya Auraya wrote:

A new player is no one's property. No one player nor alliance can claim ownership of a new player by claiming that they may ( or may not) know more about the game or that they sent them resources!

Forbid that an alliance becomes something beyond an easier way to obtain resources, forbid that it becomes an actual "alliance" of players that stick together even when times are a little tough on everything from military movements to resource supplies. Forbid that an alliance should not be a little disgruntled to be told by a player much after initially joining the game that the player will aid the alliance with the population it will increase with daily resource shipments, then the alliance finding that the player jumped ship.

I would be vastly irritated and even more so at those who continually yell "freedom for all" without taking in regards to my essentially stolen goods*.

*This was all purely hypothetical but I hope you see my point.
Eternal Fire
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 15:10
Originally posted by ES2 ES2 wrote:

Forbid that an alliance should not be a little disgruntled ...
This depends on how an alliance is run. If you think there are things worth protecting, then don't give them freely. If you think there are secrets worth keeping, then use rank, privilege, and alliance 
forums (or external resources) that protect information.

Just like sending in-game missions, you only expose what you're prepared to lose as advantage. Having training alliances grossly simplifies this, but it's possible to operate a tiered structure of need-to-know, or of limiting how much you support newer players, within a full-featured alliance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic