illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Siegeable, Reinforceable NPC Cities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Siegeable, Reinforceable NPC Cities
    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 22:08
I have a suggestion that could greatly benefit the launch of Faction Play, as well as enhance the gaming experience of anyone else in the game who wants to experiment with active sieging. 

I propose the appearance of siegable, reinforceable NPC cities or structures around the map. These cities:
  • Would have varying populations.
  • Would be owned by various NPC factions and feature their race identifiers.
  • Could be sieged and blockaded by players and alliances.
  • Could be reinforced by opposing players and alliances (but no sally forth capability)
  • Could be razed (but not captured). And, once razed, they would respawn elsewhere on the map, like an exhausted mine, grape, or herb patch.
  • There would be no value obtained from razing the cities -- they were merely be set pieces for other games within the game.
The value here would be as follows:
  • Siege warfare could be conducted with 100% consenting players with no risk of losing their own cities.
  • Tournaments could be based on the number of cities razed versus the current "king of the hill" time of square method.
  • Faction Play could use these set pieces as part of sophisticated "siege quests" that would mix role playing, questing, military operations, and statecraft.
  • Random placement and re-placement of cities offer a myriad of opportunities for complex terrain considerations.
While I don't know much at all about the architecture of the game, I'm thinking that all of the technologies needed to roll something like this out might already exist in the game. I think it could be a fun enhancement that would support the notion that Illyriad is indeed a sandbox game where we, the players, develop games within the game.

Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 06:46
This sounds like a good idea Jejune.

The spawning of the cities/structures  could be controlled by something very similar to the mechanism for the re-spawn of rare herbs where there are a limited number of towns for each of the factions. This same mechanism also controls where the herbs can spawn (regions/biomes/terrain etc) so particular factions could be limited to where they place towns/structures.

Having the ability to siege/blockade/reinforce these locations could also be used as a feed-in to the development of the fully integrated updating of the Faction Standings for individual players and alliances.

Possibly tournaments could be scored where points are awarded for attacks on these locations and also for the re-inforcement of them e.g. Alliance A is attacking all the locations belonging to Faction B who they have a low standing with and get points for this while Player C has a good standing with this Faction and is re-inforcing their towns near them earning points for both himself and his alliance. The possibility of some truly complex scoring mechanisms is indeed on the horizon :)

I applaud you for this very well thought out idea Clap

Tens

Asvenger View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 00:51
Attackable NPC cities (and maybe hubs) + faction action = great idea
Alfred View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 23:04
Sounds like a good way to get some negative standings and cause chaos. I approve.
Warning: may contain traces of sanity
( Current username Lord DeFault Ni old; King Alfred wCrow)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic