Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should we just play the game as it exists today?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should we just play the game as it exists today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Should we just play the game as it exists today?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [35.71%]
12 [42.86%]
1 [3.57%]
5 [17.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should we just play the game as it exists today?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 22:05
#blameEowan

People like brainstorming new features. Particularly free features that give them something for nothing, or features that put their enemies at a disadvantage. Generally these discussions are harmless, but will they ever come to fruition? My experience says, probably not.

My personal belief is that we need to play Illyriad the way that it exists today. The devs still fix bugs (which is commendable), but they develop their own new features like the monster tournament. Asking for battle magic, or new alliance functions, or harvester recall, or significant code base changes is an exercise in futility. Probably the most promising requests are the ones that involve tweaking a few parameters--e.g. the 5x equipment update, the infantry terrain update, raising city cap, increasing storehouse capacity.

Further, I believe that players with creative inclinations should focus on devising new sub-games within the sandbox, rather than prevailing upon the devs to address their various feature ideas.

What do you think: play Illyriad as it stands, keep brainstorming ideas, invent your own sandbox games, or something else entirely?
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 22:45
lol

Personally, I view all games such as this as a work in progress with small tweaks that can be made to push things towards a more balanced game/ fix bugs and large updates that add new content. 

I agree that minor things are more likely, hence my original polls focus on things which to me seem relatively minor- a change in the cost of alliances and a limit to the political ties an alliance can have. 

As for the reason for the polls, seeing as how the forums are fairly inactive, I figure I might as well use them to see what people think and perhaps indicate small things the devs could do to improve the game in small ways

Also, Mr Special Snowflake, didn't you pick other on my alliance cost poll? :P
Blankit View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 23:37
Proposing farfetched changes and discussing them seems to be the least distracted way of irrelevant talk. Most people will sigh in the end and won't expect the changes.
---E ---E Now selling pitchforks at The Pitchfork -Emporium. ---E ---E
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 00:15
Well, you know my opinion on this.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 00:36
Actually I will elaborate.
1. The current game mechanics works poorly for new players. It takes anywhere from several months to a year of mind numbing grind for a beginner to get to any kind of interesting game play and making impact. This is why there is so much new player attrition.
2. There are no interesting objectives in illyriad, no resources to compete for. People who stick around fall largely into 2 camps: those who use the game as mostly a backdrop for an anonymous fantasy Facebook chat, or those who play an elaborate metagame of politics and server dominance (which, I'd like to stress, is not always military).
3. There are a few things in the game mechanics that lead to deep imbalances and block new creative ways of playing the game IMO. One such factor is imbalance between attackers and defenders on different terrains, which makes plains the only valid choice for terrain surrounding a city and boxes in both offensive and defensive strategy. Another is the ongoing recycling of big old accounts - that, to some degree, can be countered by active alliances. Yet it makes problem #1 worse making the gap between new and old players very intimidating.

These problems result in stagnation of the server and need to be addressed.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 01:23
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Also, Mr Special Snowflake, didn't you pick other on my alliance cost poll?

Just as there is only One Ring, I am the only true special snowflake.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 04:00
I think the discussion should always be centered around    ($ Devs make extra)/(Difficulty to code) 

For example most of the boosts have to be refreshed, a simple auto-refresh prestige option would be relatively simple to code and likely increase profits.  

Wars destroy cities which get rebuilt using prestige.  But the devs have allowed for very few reasons for player base to go to war.  Thus adding things like territory control would lead to more war and thus more rebuiding and more money.  

Wonders (alliance buildings) would likely lead to money being spent on speeding vans but probably requires a lot of code and only a temporary funding boost.  
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 04:13
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

I think the discussion should always be centered around    ($ Devs make extra)/(Difficulty to code) 

I think the tweaks in the game math would not be difficult to code. They may be more difficult to reason through, and sometimes have unintended consequences (like crafted gear update + defy death bug).

Adding reasons to go to war might may be a harder one to implement, but would it motivate more player spending? Yes!

Making it for new players radically cheaper to build up a basic account (make it so it wouldn't be crazy to have 5 first cities fully built in a month, but then up the curve from there) could be one such numeric tweak. I think it would expand the paying player base for sure.

Edited by Tink XX - 06 Apr 2018 at 04:14
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 04:42
That would probably be easier to sell if you could package it as build time modifications, or else a reduction in population required for the first 5 cities.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 06:42
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

#blameEowan

People like brainstorming new features. Particularly free features that give them something for nothing, or features that put their enemies at a disadvantage. Generally these discussions are harmless, but will they ever come to fruition? My experience says, probably not.?

I have two somewhat generic responses besides 'brainstorming is fun' although i admit I do like proposing farfetched changes even if they will never happen.

1. Since the game's release, tons of things have been added to the game, continuing into recent years (although much more slowly than they used to, they haven't stopped). Think crafting, fishing, new buildings and research, the current trade system, npc behaviors, faction stuff, etc. etc. Some of these things we knew would eventually come but others were part of 'brainstorming is fun' exercises. Sometimes the developers had already been planning them anyways and we got a pleasant surprise, but there have also been plenty of tweaks over the years which the developers have done from player feedback (such as recent additions and changing behavior to tournament squares).

2. Personally I also enjoy new features which put me at a disadvantage. Like the fact that evil faction npcs attack me EVERY SINGLE DAY to destroy the army I have attempting to protect a mine    It is frustrating and it only happens in places like where I live next to extremely belligerent npcs. But.. its also fun! Added complexity and just interesting things to do and think about. Also, back to 1., this is something I had been 'brainstorming for fun' in the game for years, so I was excited when it finally came to the game not all that long ago.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic