Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRopa's Tourney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ropadope View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ropa's Tourney
    Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 16:51
I would like to announce an open sign up.

As many might know I have been involved in two exercises with NS.  The first involved two of my towns vs NS...well they captured my town and won.  The second was anyone willing in roads vs anyone willing in NS.  The rule was anything goes like before...with exception that one town on each side would be under peril of siege.  Each town was only to be seiged and then armies recalled once the target population was reached...and again NS handed me my ass Ouch(good job guys).

This time I am looking to make it a multi-alliance exercise.

Proposed rules are as follows:

1.  Only two towns (volunteered) would be under peril of being seiged.  Not to be captured or razed.  Again the first to the target population wins...

2.  No one would know which towns they are...Stay with me here.  The volunteered towns would have a special designated commander name.  In order to figure out which town to target for a siege...you would need to present a scout report with the said commander name.

3.  After presenting a scout report with the designated commander name...that commander would have to be successfully assassinated.  

4.  The designated commander would be required to stay in an army and the town must have at least one other commander available to step into his place.

Any and all Alliances are welcomed to play.  We currently have two sides to this future conflict.  Roads and NS on one side, Fairies and possibly members from Ecrow on the other.  IGM ropa or post a reply here to sign up...It will be a while before this kicks off as to allow time for rebuilding.

special thanks to Bimoda for this fantastic idea :)
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 17:02
I don't understand the thing about the commanders. Is their purpose to secretly designate which city can be sieged? If yes, then why do they have to be assassinated?

It seems like you could designate the city more easily just by having an army (with or without troops and commanders) with a special name. An empty army cannot be destroyed.
ropadope View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 17:05
It's to force the utilization of diplomats...not just send massive siege armies to said city...you have to figure out which city is the target first. The assassination is just a special added fun in order to add extra diplomat usage.  
Just good clean fun man...that's all.  I do see your point tho...That Idea would simplify things.  The details and preferences are not set in stone...once we get the player base set...the rules are open to modification.  

Edited by ropadope - 28 Nov 2013 at 17:13
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 20:13
That sounds like a great idea. Good luck!
Bonfyr Verboo
jcx View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 02:06
Great work ROpadope.. this would be fun and exciting. Big smile
Nikon View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 02:23
wouldnt you need the uber mass utilization of diplomats anyway to see into sad city to see which commander it is, anyway?
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 04:08
Perhaps I'm being naive, but what's going to stop the participants from setting a Rune of Intentions vs. Assassins for 400 charges, building lots of assassins to defend, and then loading the city with additional diplomatic reinforcement assassins? If you aren't allowed to use scouts, then it seems pretty easy to defend against assassins.

We had the same thing during the eCrow vs Dark Blight siege exercise. Assassins, scouts and spies were the only allowed diplomats. Many people just set their runes against assassins.
Daufer View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 09:06
So... you would have to scout every city in the opposing alliances to figure out which two towns.  If every town sets a ward against scouts you lose at least 400 scouts per city times maybe a thousand cities.  Not to mention any losses their defending scouts may inflict.  Sounds expensive.

Once the correct cities are discovered and you have a target, then you can send assassins.  Meanwhile the target city resets its runes to kill 400 assassins and their whole alliance piles defensive diplos in as reinforcements, so you end up sacrificing many hundreds if not thousands of assassins trying to kill one commander, who may get lucky enough with defy death or whichever talent it is to survive a few waves of assassins who make it through the defense.  Also very expensive.

Is the target commander required to remain in that city with his army, or can he hide out in the countryside?  If he can hide then not only will you be dealing with the runes and defenders once, but possibly multiple times trying to catch him at home.  Very, very expensive.

Then assuming you eventually succeed, only then are you allowed to send a siege, which an entire alliance will be focused on breaking?

If I'm reading this right it sounds mainly like an operation which is guaranteed to cost many thousands of spies, many thousands of assassins, and probably hundreds of thousands of troops.  There had better be one heck of a price payout at the end.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 09:18
It would be unnecessary to pour thousands of scouts and assassins into the effort.  Once a rune is down, then the most expedient method would be to send multiple one-scout and one-assassin missions.  About one in twenty will randomly succeed.  (Some say this number is as low as one in one hundred, but I've had decent results from using 20 as a base number.)

During wartime, this has the additional advantage as being annoying to someone who has to read a lot of diplo spam (or to decide to delete it without reading it).

Until changes are made to mechanics of diplomatic units, single-unit spam is the most cost-effective method for scouting, spying and assassination.  It is essentially impossible to beat it.

Personally I think this is a bit unfortunate since a method that is completely predictable (over large enough numbers) ends up being far less interesting.  Then again perhaps this is the "reward" for people who are willing to either think of this or learn from someone else who has thought of it and also to spend the time clicking to send all the units.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 16:21
Rill, when I've tried it, the scout swarm has rarely worked with 20 scouts. It's more like a 50% chance at 50, and a 66% chance at 100. I've had 100 fail several times. I used it many times during the siege exercise. It seemed that when a city (probably) had a meaningful number of defending scouts, your chances on that technique went way down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic