Print Page | Close Window

History of Crow Alliance Founding

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Histories
Forum Description: Official and Unofficial Histories of Alliances, Wars & Politics
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5711
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: History of Crow Alliance Founding
Posted By: Albatross
Subject: History of Crow Alliance Founding
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 15:11
This small project is gathering pace: a map of Crow alliance foundation events.

The Scribes are working hard to uncover the migrations and mergers that have occurred since Anno 0 when alliance records began. If you can help them, their network will learn of any forum communications elsewhere (but be sure to read the rules of this forum, as conjecture and counter-claiming is discouraged here).

Trademarks and assets from Illyriad Games Ltd have been used in this artwork. Fonts from original sources.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: auel
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 15:31
Congratulations on a stunning piece of work.  It has certainly answered some of those questions I wanted to ask but didn't dare!  
Get it printed as a poster and many will buy it, although I am sure some will just be throwing darts.
Ignore the slagging off which will no doubt start from here, its great Clap

Posted By: Gemley
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 15:58

I'm glad you made this, I have always been interested in the history of the Crows.

-------------
�I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend� - J.R.R. Tolkien

Posted By: Baesil
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 16:14
Great work Alba

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 16:16
Albatross:

There was a crow's branch led by KingEAM for a time that merged into mCrow:  I think it was Crowb but that might have been another branch that used the "b" as well several months after this merger.

Calaquendi Crow was originally Calaquendi (about a 1 1/2 years before becoming Calcr):  there is a note about this in Nokigon's history.

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Finwë Aldaríon
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 16:30
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

Albatross:
There was a crow's branch led by KingEAM for a time that merged into mCrow:  I think it was Crowb but that might have been another branch that used the "b" as well several months after this merger.

Calaquendi Crow was originally Calaquendi (about a 1 1/2 years before becoming Calcr):  there is a note about this in Nokigon's history.

I confirm it too .. Lady Tinuviel helped Jack Aubrey in its early beginning in the fight between Uuntaar's alliance and mine :)
By that time it was only Calaquendi.

.. sorry .. forgetting to say "Great Work" :)

-------------

Posted By: Mistery
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 16:31
nice work Alba :D

NB Calcr, was already Calcr when I joined the alliance in 5th Jul 11 - not sure if that helps or not

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 16:46
Thanks all; updated - should show up on the first post here.

-------------

Posted By: GM Rikoo
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 16:46
Very nice. I can see you making some of these for other alliances! :) Will share on social media.

GM Rikoo

-------------
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk

Posted By: lethargic0N3
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 17:04
Without trying to be too picky... I don't think there has really been any migration to or from other Crow alliances that would have involved Calcr in the forming of other wings.  They should really be on their own branch as far as I know from Calc to Calcr

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 17:16
Very cool.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 17:17
Originally posted by lethargic0N3 lethargic0N3 wrote:

Without trying to be too picky... I don't think there has really been any migration to or from other Crow alliances that would have involved Calcr in the forming of other wings.  They should really be on their own branch as far as I know from Calc to Calcr
I think you might be right there; the Tinuviel link doesn't check out http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Player/History/5904" rel="nofollow - in his player history , unless alternate accounts were involved. There was some confed alliance help in their becoming Calcr ("...Crow"), so I've included a small migration into Calcr.

(update to image coming soon)

-------------

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 20:14
This is a really small thing, but the line from mCrow to nCrow should probably read "Harry, Cookieman, Rill" since it was Harry's idea -- his name should be first, and Cookieman was very much senior at the time.  I was still a raw newb along for the ride!   I think I had just gotten my 4th city at the time.

Edited: And by the way, thank you Alba, this is a really cool graphic.  It's cool to see how all the Crows are related.

Posted By: Steven Quincy Urpel
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 21:08
Neat-o. Cheers to Alba.

Posted By: Grego
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 22:04
Great work Alba :)
For the record, Sloter is co- founder of The Crows.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 22:59
That's awesome Grego, I didn't know that, so Crows are related to VIC as well as Absa.  Send some Absa people down to High Hills in Broken Lands, will be like a family reunion down there.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 23:12

Both HUGcr and nCrow have benefited from the wisdom of alts and players from our wingbrothers in Cala as part of development of those alliances.

Perhaps HUGcr should not have a direct line from mCrow but start out independently -- although heavily influenced by mCrow, HUGcr like Calaquendi and Kaendran Crows started as an independent alliance with Crow affiliations and only became Crow later in its history.  That may seem trivial to outsiders, but the decision for HUGS to become Crow was significant for HUGS, as Crows -- mCrow, Crow and Cala - provided support and guidance and were at least partially responsible for the continued survival of the alliance through supplying experienced players when Fluffy had to step back from his leadership role due to school involvement.

Folks from HUGcr can correct any aspect of this that they feel is incorrect.  Ryelle was deeply involved in that aspect of HUGS' history, but I don't want to speak for them.

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 00:22
That is a historically significant and elegant looking piece. Well done!

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Sheza
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 01:25
The Art is just awesome .  good job . 

-------------
If Horses don't go to Heaven when they die. then I want to go where they go.

Posted By: Merlinus
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 13:38
definitely Wiki-Worthy, this. Congrats on a job very well done!

-------------
In Peace we reign. In War we RULE!

Long live the Royal House of Merlinus!

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 14:51
I might need to change where these images are hosted (my current host is data-capped), so if you link to them, please let me know so I can update you. Reliable CDN tips appreciated; I might just use googlepages.

-------------

Posted By: lethargic0N3
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 22:54
Great Job.. I've learned a couple things from before I started from the chart

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 23:12
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Both HUGcr and nCrow have benefited from the wisdom of alts and players from our wingbrothers in Cala as part of development of those alliances.

Perhaps HUGcr should not have a direct line from mCrow but start out independently -- although heavily influenced by mCrow, HUGcr like Calaquendi and Kaendran Crows started as an independent alliance with Crow affiliations and only became Crow later in its history.  That may seem trivial to outsiders, but the decision for HUGS to become Crow was significant for HUGS, as Crows -- mCrow, Crow and Cala - provided support and guidance and were at least partially responsible for the continued survival of the alliance through supplying experienced players when Fluffy had to step back from his leadership role due to school involvement.

Folks from HUGcr can correct any aspect of this that they feel is incorrect.  Ryelle was deeply involved in that aspect of HUGS' history, but I don't want to speak for them.

If you wanna be really picky - the founder of Hugs came from H? and then T?/T2?  :) 

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: fluffy
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 01:18
I'm glad you guys remember where I'm from, since I don't.

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 04:49
Originally posted by fluffy fluffy wrote:

Hi Fluffster - didn't think you were still alive ;)

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: Shadar Logoth
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 06:08
Crow History, and its legacy, did indeed start with Gregorokin and Sloter. 

Proud history. 

Many stories to be told unknownst to most. 

Glad I got to be a tiny part of that massive history.  

Makes me proud, but foremost makes me smile and happy Clap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

<takes hat off to Grego and Sloter> 

Shadey

-------------
More Orc, less talking!

All that is said is my own opinion. I am not a leader nor voice for Invictus. I will always abide by Invictus's rules.

Posted By: fluffy
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 07:33
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Originally posted by fluffy fluffy wrote:

Hi Fluffster - didn't think you were still alive ;)

Hi there!  I'm around ingame as of yesterday.  Don't plan on doing much besides saying hi here and then, but I'm still alive :)

-------------
<a href="http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Player/Profile/261803" rel="nofollow">FluffTheMagicDragon</a>

Posted By: Arctic55
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 06:09
I BEG THE CREATOR OF THE HISTORY IMAGE TO FIX THE FONTS!!!! I CAN'T READ IT!!!! AND I CANNOT TELL WHAT IS GOING ON IN THAT MAP THINGY, HELP!!!!

-------------
I'm pressed but not crushed.
Persecuted but not abandoned.
Struck down but not destroyed.

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 06:22
No need to shout.  What on earth is wrong with the font?

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 07:41
The font looks fine to me. A little wavy and fancy, but very appropriate.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 09:31
The Scribes are mildly puzzled by the idea that they can change their ancient script, which has been effective for generations.

They have occasionally heard of scripts written by mechanical instruments, and when writing the shorter alliance names, they innovated with their best efforts to reconstruct something from vague descriptions and rumour. I think they did quite a good job there.

Despite this seemingly unstoppable pride in their work, they say that they will consider any options of convincing merit.

-------------

Posted By: Wolfgangvondi
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 16:30
Just love it. well done human.

And looks really good.

Just one thing... lets see if i can explain... is rather simple but don't know how to put it by words.
for example the Vcrows look like the ended in the year 2. cuz they don't extend to year4.
is just an detail. but the ones not used to see such complicated human documents, can lead to the mistake that the alliances that are not extendent to year 4 have already ended.

did i already said that looks realy good?

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/21645" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 16:44
Originally posted by Wolfgangvondi Wolfgangvondi wrote:

... Vcrows look like the ended in the year 2. ...
Yes, that's an issue I grappled with: "no continuation" doesn't necessarily mean "terminated there".

(1) This 'graph' omits these continuities, unless a change occurs. If we were to have all current alliances continuing (on the graph) into Anno 4 and beyond, we'd need to reconcile some tricky paths, and inevitably, some would cross, which makes things unclear.

(2) Also, the branching (splitting) is not time-accurate; emphasis is on getting the merges correctly timed. e.g. if you see footsteps from an alliance, spanning 1 year, it doesn't mean those players have walked alone for a year. A graph of 'where people were' would look different, and probably less pretty.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 13:29
A few more changes have come through recently - update due soon™

-------------

Posted By: Wolfgangvondi
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 00:21
Hum.. Yes.. the Cross of paths can make things over complicated... : /

but, mybe theres some way to easy up the reading of that.. mybe making one of the paths do an half circle when it cross another path.. in that way would be easy to not mistake the flow of the to lines....

anyway. great job, as it is now. : )

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/21645" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Captain Kindly
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 03:44
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

If you wanna be really picky - the founder of Hugs came from H? and then T?/T2?  :) 

Does that make you my granddaddy, KP? Tongue

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/60249" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Shimrod
Date Posted: 26 May 2018 at 21:26
I thought this deserved a bump. At least for those who haven't seen it and might be interested

Posted By: Lord Stanley
Date Posted: 27 May 2018 at 17:17
Not sure if it's only me, but the photo in the original post does not show up so I am posting again here.

-------------
//elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/b/309517/av.jpg

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net