Print Page | Close Window

V is for Venita, not Vendetta

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Politics & Diplomacy
Forum Description: If you run an alliance on Elgea, here's where you should make your intentions public.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5369
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 19:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: V is for Venita, not Vendetta
Posted By: Zenorra
Subject: V is for Venita, not Vendetta
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 19:12
I am writing this to explain to anyone who cares, the story of my dealings with Venita. I am not trying to bash her or start drama. It's just that many people think there is bad blood between TCol and Venita, which simply is not true. I hope this sets the record straight.

On September 21, 2011, my husband and I joined the game and thereafter the Academy of Champions, which is now known as the Dark Star Academy. The "Academy", as we all called it was a training alliance for new people, ran by Bicho, aka Lady Fu'Miga, who was in Eternal Champions. It was meant to help people and teach them the game mechanics with the goal of eventually graduating into Eternal Champions. (Yes, for those of you who remember, it was when Amroth was still playing.)

The Academy always had a very active alliance chat. Many people role played which made for an interesting read given any time of the day. This is where my character, Zenorra, met Osha. Osha was a very vivacious and fun dwarf. She was always friendly to everyone and fun to be in chat with. As time went on, internet friends began to form. 

This is also where I met Driad. At first, she was friendly enough, but then suddenly decided to become the more rougher edges of our group. She started butting heads with many of us in chat, over things not related to Illy. Driad attacked me personally in our alliance chat, and therefore was expelled from our group. 

Several of us did graduate to Eternal Champions, but it was after Amroth made his exit. The alliance was dying, and our fun filled chat could not keep it alive. Eternal Champions was, for the most part, considered by its members, to be a peaceful alliance. So, when the notice came across the Global Chat that Kale Weathers of TCol was sieging her, I was absolutely thrilled. I thought to myself, "Now there's an alliance who won't be pushed around. I like that."

Friendships were forged with Kale Weathers from that moment on, and eventually, a few of us decided to leave Eternal Champions, and join The Colonist Empire. I, personally, invited all of the other members from EC to join us there, including Osha.

I must add, that through all of this, I felt a kinship to Osha. Never meeting her in person, I still took a chance that she could be a wonderful friend. We chatted about our personal lives, trials and tribulations, and many things that I would not have shared if I knew her secret. 

I will give Venita a huge credit for coming forth when she did. One day, after verbally chatting on Skype with both Kale and Osha, I signed off to later find out that Osha admitted to Kale that she had created Osha to be a spy, and that her main account was Venita. I was horrified. I never had dealings with Venita in the past, but I had never heard good things about her either. I was so very hurt that the person whom I considered a friend had actually been deceiving me all along.

Was it stupid of me to feel a bond over the internet? Some may say so, and looking back, maybe it was. I admit that I do miss her virtual personality and fun times we had, but I am afraid to trust her now, and that is the truth. This story was written from my heart, and I care not who knows it. I truly think that Venita will agree to everything I have said so far. So, 'bad blood' with Venita and TCol? No. Kale Weathers is no longer in Illyriad. Bad blood with Venita and myself, maybe so. But I still would not wish harm to come to her in real life. 

One last thing, TCol has not targeted Venita's cities so far in this war, although we have participated in joint ops against her. It is war, not bad blood.

I hope this helps.

Replies:
Posted By: The Duke
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 20:48
I like the header on this topic, very nice. 
As for Venita and her "secret"- Ppl choose to play this game as they wish, after all it is a sandbox. Some ppl may feel it necessary to create an alt for the sole purpose of being a spy- I know of a few players who have done so, of which the most famous in illy probably being Lion heartz. 
Im not sure what the point in posting this story is unless its to condemn Venita for Spying. Right now you are on opposite sides of a war, when its over maybe this would be best handled through an igm and you guys can make amends to any bad blood that you find resonating with you. If the post is about condemning someone for playing the role of a mole- theres plenty of accounts with the same intent throughout Elgea and permasitting only increases this style of play. 

-------------
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."

Posted By: Sloter
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 21:46
Is Laura Weathers also inactiv acc?I seem to recall that name of towns were named differently then now.

Posted By: HATHALDIR
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 05:25
If you bonded with a person over the internet, sounds like you have alot incommon in RL as well as playing Illy. Playing styles aside, i think one should never pass up an opportunity at friendship, they come so rarely as we get get older they should be cherished and nurtured.
Please remember this is a game, no-one can see your facial expression as you type, much nuance gets missed or misintepreted. I would go with your gut feeling.

-------------
There's worse blokes than me!!

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 06:40
+1 to what Hathaldir said.

People may not reveal their alt account when you meet them the first time. When you have developed a friendship with them, they may tell you about their alt if they think it is relevant to discuss. It doesn't mean that they were deceiving you so far, it just means that they trust you now. 

Since Osha was your friend and she told you about her alt, you helped Venita in the NC BANE war? Thats what friends do right? 

Posted By: Deranzin
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by HATHALDIR HATHALDIR wrote:

If you bonded with a person over the internet, sounds like you have alot incommon in RL as well as playing Illy.

So the possibility of someone deceiving you on more levels than just wanting to spy in a game and that the other things "in common" might have been lies too, never crossed your mind .?. Tongue

Playing styles aside, i think one should never pass up an opportunity at friendship, they come so rarely as we get get older they should be cherished and nurtured.

What kind of friendship starts with such a blatant lie and what kind of person tries to sell friendship in order to infiltrate in an alliance in a GAME .?. Confused

As if you need all that and as if alliances do a background checks on who you are ... usually all you need to do is just apply and if you are civil about, they will let you in ... as you said, it IS a game, so those under-cover mumbo jumbo are unnecessary and only serve to hurt others when the ruse will be eventually discovered.

Please remember this is a game, no-one can see your facial expression as you type, much nuance gets missed or misintepreted. I would go with your gut feeling.

Gut feelings do change you know ...

Originally posted by Ander Ander wrote:

People may not reveal their alt account when you meet them the first time. When you have developed a friendship with them, they may tell you about their alt if they think it is relevant to discuss. It doesn't mean that they were deceiving you so far, it just means that they trust you now.

Yeah and if they started the whole thing with lies while you were there sharing truthfully what went on in your life, now you do not trust them ... OBVIOUSLY Tongue

Whoever said that admitting to a deception is making everything "ok" .?. This is like some people in my country who were caught stealing and think that putting the money back will make them spotless and honest ! LOL

Bottom line :
This is a strategic game and yes noone should be surprised at attempts of inter-alliance espionage, but there are so many "clean" ways to accomplish that feat which make the pretense of friendship in order to fit in and spy others so totally unnecessary and redundant, that it is imho a really bad form of human behavior.

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 14:57
I usually cringe when people talk about morality in video games like Illyriad. I think it's perfectly acceptable to be a thief or a warlord in a video game, and that it doesn't really reflect on you as a person (any more than playing Call of Duty makes you a killer). But I've always felt that "spying" is sleazy behavior. It requires lying to people, often consistently over a long period of time. Regardless of whether it happens in the context of a video game, lying is lying. Doing it within a game just makes it even more petty.

I think anyone willing to abuse the personal trust extended by other players in a game is taking it way, way too seriously.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 16:29
Originally posted by Deranzin Deranzin wrote:

What kind of friendship starts with such a blatant lie and what kind of person tries to sell friendship in order to infiltrate in an alliance in a GAME .?. Confused

that it is imho a really bad form of human behavior. 
This coming from you Deranzin[H?]? Big smile

There was an H spy in the last war who infiltrated another alliance and grew up using the prestige purchased by her alliance mateShe did not admit to espionage, she fled to H when found out. 

Then we too had another spy from you guys. I believe vicx (who is now fighting you) also had some spy problems from your alliance. One of the dlord leaders even made a statement in GC (quite a while back) that H was invincible, because H had spies in all alliances. 

(I have the names of people I mentioned, if you really are unaware of these incidents you can send me a message for details)

Spying is a really bad form of human behavior? Really? You are killing me! Big smile

Posted By: Qaal
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 16:51
Life most often isn't an either/or situation. It's entirely possible for a person to both share genuinely and to spy, and a whole range of other possibilities besides.We humans are a delightfully irrational lot. Make your choices, take your chances.

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 17:42

Spying is a really bad form of human behavior? Really? You are killing me! Big smile

At any point did those examples you raise make RL, out of game connections under false pretenses in order to further their spying aims? 

Without making a judgement call either way - your examples are different in a large degree to the case in the OP.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 18:38

This coming from you Deranzin[H?]? Big smile

Yes, why .?. Was I ever a spy or was I ever lying to achieve a goal and I cannot express my personal opinion on the matter .?. You were once in the leadership of your alliance (no idea where you are now in game, sorry) and you might have different views on what most players do in the game, but in case you didn't notice I am not my whole alliance, I am just a simple member in it and so I am not accountable for all its actions before me joining it, or after, unless they included me specifically in their undertaking or design.

So, if you are going to quote people, at least do keep their whole sentence ok .?. Clap

You are writting :

Whereas I specifically wrote :

"Bottom line :
This is a strategic game and yes noone should be surprised at attempts of inter-alliance espionage, but there are so many "clean" ways to accomplish that feat which make the pretense of friendship in order to fit in and spy others so totally unnecessary and redundant, that it is imho a really bad form of human behavior. "

* The change of font size and embolding was made only for your apparent inability to read the whole passage. LOL

So, in simpler terms I said that spying is ok in a strategy game and totally to be expected, but stomping on human feelings in the process of achieving such a simple task is a bad behavior.

Unless you disagree with that, I do not see your problem. Wink

Posted By: st aug
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 22:25
#1 This is game and always will be . #2 And since this is a game all is fare . There's nothing that is out of bounds. people will and do anything in here to serve there purpose . #3 Friends ya sure your lucky in life to count true friends on one hand . You find a friend in here your lucky but don't count on it your playing a game remember that. We have no idea who on the other side of the screen . #4 The fact people hide there true self and play with alt and man playing as women and women playing as men should tell everything you need to know . There a reason they hide in shadows and there purpose is not to make friends you can count on it . Take it and play it for what it is -don't sweat the small stuff -let the games begin--lol . .--P.s. to all the good people out there . thank you for being you .

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 04:11
KP, I get your point. But there is nothing in the thread to suggest any deception other than in-game spying or any particularly bad incident. Someone was a bit sincere, that's why they revealed their true identity. That's my view anyway.

Posted By: HATHALDIR
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 05:44
Okay, lets take a step back and look at this again. If  you feel you have a connection with a person, you probably do. Can Zennora forgive Venita for the deception? That is entirely up to her!

Have i ever told a lie in my life? Hell yeah!
Will i ever lie again? Hell Yeah!

Lets all get down off the soap box and get with the program. I think Zennora's post is about her trying that friendship thing again. So let us keep the topic on this and cut the sanctimonious whooey.

Zenn, drop Venita an IGM, you may be glad you did! At least you will know the answer!

-------------
There's worse blokes than me!!

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 08:42

KP, I get your point. But there is nothing in the thread to suggest any deception other than in-game spying or any particularly bad incident. Someone was a bit sincere, that's why they revealed their true identity. That's my view anyway.

So, after showing clearly that you cannot (or do not) read smaller posts correctly, you "ignore" that blunder and now you want to sum up an even bigger and more complex post .?. LOL

Skyping about real life and pretending to be a friend is "no deception" in your book .?. Wow. What part of "We chatted about our personal lives, trials and tribulations, and many things that I would not have shared if I knew her secret. " and " but I am afraid to trust her now" do you find wrong, illogical or mystifying .?.

And if someone is ONLY "a bit sincere", as you claim, then one can say then that he was "a lot insincere" Wink

Posted By: Diva
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 01:01
Does everything need to be OVER analyzed. This is and always has been between Zenn and Venita. What everyone else construes to be right or wrong out of what she wrote turns one against the other. Quit it. Yours, my own opinions don't matter cuz we didn't do it (to Zenn) in skype ...Only Venita can tell her the truth.

-------------
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 01:33
To bring this topic back into relevance....

Venitas actions had serious consequences. Tcol never had brilliant relations with her; there is a history but it's a long one and frankly it's way too late foe that. Suffice it to say that kale had not received many reasons to trust her.

And then we find out that, after a long conversation in which osha claimed that she learnt more from kale than she ever had with champ, that this person was in fact an alt. A spy.

If venita had truly wanted to be friendly with the dominion and tcol in particular, she could have spoken and been friendly to kale. Perhaps, had that happened, tcol might never have intervened in the bane war. But this incident set a permanent tone of mistrust between tcol and ii which had fairly disastrous consequences.

A lesson, I think, in how spies are a seriously bad idea.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 02:16
Originally posted by Nokigon Nokigon wrote:

To bring this topic back into relevance....

A lesson, I think, in how spies are a seriously bad idea.

But what the point seems to be is what was real .. and what was ingame spying.

Sharing personal info and ingame spying are 2 different things.  I believe tho spying may have changed the GAME play for the moment and distrust of Venita in an alliance,  I don't think it meant harm in real life by swapping recipes, photos, etc. ... I doubt she faked a real life too? and the only way .. is to for Zenn to ask Venita.. Gameplay is out of the question to fix for her, and the whole of you in it. 

2ndly, this is one of MANY millions of people who have faked a death- send money scam, - buy presents for my children's (birthday, Christmas),-  I'm asking you to send me $40 bucks to pay my light bill -  internet scam you'll never get your money back HA HA ... we've all been hurt/seen worse.

And then again, maybe the RL friendship was real, and the spying was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Hard to come back from being deceived. Live and learn and don't get all wrapped up.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by Diva Diva wrote:

Does everything need to be OVER analyzed. This is and always has been between Zenn and Venita. What everyone else construes to be right or wrong out of what she wrote turns one against the other. Quit it. Yours, my own opinions don't matter cuz we didn't do it (to Zenn) in skype ...Only Venita can tell her the truth.

1. This is funny from a person that later on goes to analyze things as well and offer an opinion, which here you insist that it does not matter.
  2. Since the topic is PUBLIC, then we are allowed to have opinions over it.
  3. Last but not least, if you want to moderate the forum apply for the place of GM Luna. Till then, I have no idea from where you took the idea that you should tell people whether their opinions matter or how they should express them

2ndly, this is one of MANY millions of people who have faked a death- send money scam, - buy presents for my children's (birthday, Christmas),-  I'm asking you to send me $40 bucks to pay my light bill -  internet scam you'll never get your money back HA HA ... we've all been hurt/seen worse.

So you are putting what Venita did on par with internet scams .?.  Shocked

Way to go with the "over-analysis" dude ! LOL

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 03:23

1. This is funny from a person that later on goes to analyze things as well and offer an opinion, which here you insist that it does not matter.
  2. Since the topic is PUBLIC, then we are allowed to have opinions over it.
  3. Last but not least, if you want to moderate the forum apply for the place of GM Luna. Till then, I have no idea from where you took the idea that you should tell people whether their opinions matter or how they should express them

[QUOTE=Diva]

So you are putting what Venita did on par with internet scams .?.  Shocked

Way to go with the "over-analysis" dude ! LOL
[/QUOTE
Of all I said, again.. if you think about it...its' between Zenn and Venita... you like to smack your lips about it and pick fights and demean people..  and seem all important about what you say Den.. please get over yourself and hopefully Luna closes every thread you are in. You are an instigator and think you've put people in their place ... You are ONLINE ONLY, I can see thru you -- every thing you post, but because I'm NOT wrapped up only pissed off for 2 secs... do you get it? If you think I want answer from you.. wait till I ask you for one.. NEVER EVER, not never, think I need a reply from you in the future ...talk about misconstruing the point, my gawd.. hush.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 07:30

Of all I said, again.. if you think about it...its' between Zenn and Venita... you like to smack your lips about it and pick fights and demean people..  and seem all important about what you say Den.. please get over yourself and hopefully Luna closes every thread you are in. You are an instigator and think you've put people in their place ... You are ONLINE ONLY, I can see thru you -- every thing you post, but because I'm NOT wrapped up only pissed off for 2 secs... do you get it? If you think I want answer from you.. wait till I ask you for one.. NEVER EVER, not never, think I need a reply from you in the future ...talk about misconstruing the point, my gawd.. hush.

Merry Christmas to you too LOL

As for who likes to pick fights and demean people, I just bolded a bit your own "contribution to the dialogue" and I will leave it like that ... I think it speaks for itself. Wink LOL

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 07:55
Why don't you guys just change the H? from Harmless to Hateful.

And Merry Christmas, but I mean it.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 08:18

Why don't you guys just change the H? from Harmless to Hateful.

And Merry Christmas, but I mean it.

As it is evident above the only hate in the topic is explicitly expressed by you, sorry.  Plus, in this holy day, your effort to smear a whole alliance because you are just disliking one of it members (for reasons unknown), is just the epitome of pettiness and I will not stoop to your level.

So after that raving post you did before AND the one liner insult now, it is kinda hard to believe in the sincerity of your wishes ... LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net