Print Page | Close Window

Christmas Truce

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Politics & Diplomacy
Forum Description: If you run an alliance on Elgea, here's where you should make your intentions public.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5363
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 00:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Christmas Truce
Posted By: WeeAshley
Subject: Christmas Truce
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 00:22
Greetings friends and enemies :)

In the spirit of the season I propose that no new attacks land on December 25th (server time).  Let us all take a breather and support those of us with families and commitments in real life.  We can also take the time to be thankful for this great game by remembering to keep it "just a game."

With the cease in hostilities maybe send a beer to an enemy to represent the good will we have towards each other out-of-game.

Inspired by the countless examples in history of soldiers laying down their weapons and walking across the field for one day of peace...

And then on December 26th... GAME ON!

I would be interested in knowing who would commit to this?

edit: Incorporated Darkwords suggestion.  No attacks land on December 25th (rather than no attacks are initiated on December 25th)

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/226073" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 00:47
If we were to do something like this, which I would support,it should not be no attacks launched on the 25th, but no attacks to land through the 25th.

-------------
<Deranzin> I'd agree with darkone on that

[21:59]<ropadope> you know I am perverted

<Bartleby> dark is upsetting some peeps

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 03:56
Many of us do not celebrate the commercial holiday of Christmas, just saying.

Posted By: jcx
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 04:03
Our fisherman don't want it, so keep your engines rolling. LOL

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 05:34
Wow, people not fighting seem very quick to shoot this down.  And yeah, if some truce did go through, it should be for no attacks on the 25, that someone might have to defend against.  Though I'm kind of pessimistic.  I'm afraid certain parties might be seeing this as an opportunity to go on the offensive.  

Posted By: Deranzin
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 07:01
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

You are not fighting ... just saying ... LOLTongue

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 08:00
I will voice my view whether i'm fighting or not, and for the record you don't have any idea if my alt is fighting.

I made a basic statement that some people, most of the people on the planet in fact, don't celebrate Christmas. Interpret it any way you want.

Posted By: Deranzin
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 08:26

I will voice my view whether i'm fighting or not, and for the record you don't have any idea if my alt is fighting.

Oh, do not go all Pongo on us, dude with the secretive alt accounts ... Either post with your alt then or do not act like it is a common knowledge ... We are not clairvoyant you know. Tongue

I made a basic statement that some people, most of the people on the planet in fact, don't celebrate Christmas. Interpret it any way you want.

The "commercial" part of the celebration/holiday, as you so aptly called it, is even celebrated in China, India, Indonesia and Japan where the Christian religion is a very small minority. Oh, and those three first countries contain almost 3 Billion of the 7 billion population of the world ...

http://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/china.shtml

So, I am "just saying" that your "basic statement" is false by any "interpretation" ...

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 09:56
It's a pretty impossible task to get everyone to follow a truce. I am personally not sending any attacks that will land from 22nd --> 26th.

I encourage others to do the same. 

Of course some people will take advantage of others absence and that is just what it is. 

Part from that, sending your armies out on some long occupy marches or feints will be the solution to not losing anything, so you can return after holidays/family time with your armies intact. If you find out you have been sieged - tough stuff. 

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: jcx
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 11:22
Merry Christmas - /me smells the roasted meat and the bitterness of beer.. Cheers!!!

-------------
Disclaimer: The above is jcx|orcboy's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of Harmless? [H?] or of the little green men that have been following him all day.

jcx in H? | orcboy in H?

Posted By: Tyrande Whisperwinds
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 11:42
Aye, let ppl rest at least on this holiday. I also agree not to send any missions to land on the 25th ^^

Merry Christmas all

(also, like this, i can play Warcraft without having to alt+tab all the time to check on illy.. My RL will kill me one of these days)...

Posted By: st aug
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 14:50
Call a truce anyway. Then you'll find out who's who. Sound like a good idea to me . Nothing wrong with a day of rest. The game is not going no were and neither are we . You don't celebrate the holiday day that's fine . Happy holidays to you and yours to what ever ya'll celebrate when the day comes . One day truce good idea my vote is yes take a break you know we could all use that . Merry Christmas everybody may the holidays give you and yours joy and happiness. Enjoy

Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 15:11
Originally posted by jcx jcx wrote:

Merry Christmas - /me smells the roasted meat and the bitterness of beer.. Cheers!!!

Beer? Big smile Beer

+1

-------------
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 19:08
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

If we were to do something like this, which I would support,it should not be no attacks launched on the 25th, but no attacks to land through the 25th.

It's already too late - I have attacks from EE landing from 3am through 3pm on Dec 25th.   They were sent 2 days ago.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: scaramouche
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 20:06
obviously this idea has and will come too late for some players as KP has just stated...although a good idea it should of been mutually agreed weeks ago.
but war is war I suppose...and although this idea sounds good to some/most there will be others that will take advantage...
a good idea but has come to late!

-------------
NO..I dont do the Fandango!

Posted By: WeeAshley
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 01:54

I would be just as happy to put this forward for any big annual family-type Holidays celebrated by a significant portion of the server population.  Being from the west Christmas is the one I am most familiar with but my respect for those trying to balance family with this game transcends my western world view.
Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

It's a pretty impossible task to get everyone to follow a truce. I am personally not sending any attacks that will land from 22nd --> 26th.
I' not suggesting anything as formal as a sworn-by-the-leadership truce.  More a gentle[wo]man's understanding - in the spirit of all those informal truces that have happened throughout our own war history irl.  Not only is it realistic to see it in a war, it also helps those of us with active family lives to better balance everything!
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

It's already too late - I have attacks from EE landing from 3am through 3pm on Dec 25th.   They were sent 2 days ago.
Well... my fault for not thinking of it sooner - assuming they were amicable to the idea anyways.  Next Christmas as this war continues we might consider it earlier. :)

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/226073" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: BellusRex
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 05:08
New Year's Day?

-------------
"War is the father of all things..."

Posted By: tansiraine
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 15:55
I suggested the beginning of the month to take off for Christmas so people could spend it with their families an not tied to a computer.  Granted it was in GC but I was told that would not happen.. So seeing attacks land on the holiday does not surprise me. 

Posted By: Auraya
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 17:52
I would have thought it pretty poor form to land attacks on Christmas Day regardless of whether there was a truce in place or not. Some people take this game way too seriously and prioritise "winning" over being a decent person. 

For the record, I do not celebrate Diwali, Eid, Yom Kippur and many other religious holidays but I would certainly respect other players taking those days off and agree a truce whilst they spent time with their families. 

I know emotions are high for some people but try to remember that by taking actions of dubious morality, you are simply degrading yourself. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net