Forum Description: 7th Tournament - Details, progress, reports & awards
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4919
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 16:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tournament VII - Champions Return - Rules/Prizes
Posted By: GM Luna
Subject: Tournament VII - Champions Return - Rules/Prizes
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 21:14

Welcome, Illyrians, to our 7th tournament, The Champions Return. Ready your armies and plan your strategies, for the tournament starts today!
Many of the rules will be familiar to established players - but with new twists....
THE BASICS

A series of portals are appearing across Elgea. At any time there will be one portal per region (one in Mal Motsha, one in Kal Tirikan, and so on.)
Each portal lasts for one week - exactly seven days, to the minute.
The opening of a portal is triggered by an undead army landing on a square.
Once per day each portal "activates". At this point a special unit, an Ancient Champion, emerges, to join forces with whoever is Occupying the site.
Clearly the undead are hoping to enlist these Ancient Champions into their dark legions, but as players dislodge the undead and Occupy the squares, naturally these Champions will be claimed by players.
The timings are random - each portal might open at 00:00:00, or 23:59:59, or any time in between.
Each Ancient Champion will appear immediately in the city that the Occupying army came from. This unit can then be used as a normal military unit, attached to armies from that city as usual.
The Ancient Champion units cost no upkeep.
COMPLICATIONS
There is one key caveat. Each city may only ever win a single Ancient Champion unit. Even if the unit is killed during the tournament, no other Ancient Champion will join the city that he was in.
Simply, if an army Occupying a square comes from a settlement which has already won an Ancient Champion, it cannot gain another.
If forces from multiple settlements are occupying a square, then the award "trickles down". As a default, the army that was first to occupy a square claims the Ancient Champion. If that army's city has already won a unit then the next army to have arrived at the square gets the unit. If that army's city already has a unit then the third to arrive... then the forth to arrive.. and so on.
The devious-minded might suspect that the tournament has been set up this way to reward alliances who can cooperate and organize themselves well, rather than just those with a few huge players.
For example, if a huge player's army arrives at a square to claim the unit on day 2 of 7, then it is no use to her Alliance if she simply sits there, alone and unassailable for the next five days - her army cannot win any more Ancient Champions without help. She needs to send armies from her other cities, or Alliance-mates need to send armies to assist. In this way, Alliances need fast, local players as well as huge players if they are to collect as many units as possible.
ALLIANCE MEMBERSHIP, CONFEDERATIONS AND NAPs
Alliance NAPs and Confederations are suspended on these squares for the duration of the tournament, so the "Peace of the Camp" rule (outside of your own Alliance) has been suspended for combat on these squares.
The ability to either quit an alliance, join a new alliance or be kicked from an alliance has been suspended whilst the player trying to quit/be kicked has troops occupying one of the tournament squares. You must remove your troops from the tournament squares in order to change alliances during the tournament.
VICTORY CONDITIONS

The tournament is scored on an Alliance by Alliance basis.
Alliances win an overall victory by collecting more Ancient Champions than anyone else.
And there are regional victories to be won, for collecting more Ancient Champions than any other Alliance in each region.
Scores are based on Ancient Champions collected, not owned - it does not matter if a unit is lost during the tournament, and it doesn't matter if the player who won the Champion then leaves the Alliance. Points stay with the Alliance that won them - they are not transferable. 

PRIZES
Prizes will be awarded to both Alliances and individuals.
The overall winning Alliance gets a Tournament Statue in their honour, to be placed on the map in honour of their victory.
Alliances also win Alliance Prestige (which can subsequently be made available to Alliance members at the discretion of each Alliance's leadership.) 
For EACH REGION (most Champions collected in a region throughout the month):
1st Place: 100 Prestige to the Alliance Prestige pool
2nd Place: 50 Prestige to the Alliance Prestige pool.
3rd Place: 25 Prestige to the Alliance Prestige pool.

For the OVER ALL winners (most Champions collected in total during the month) also receive the following bonus:
1st Place: 3000 Prestige to the Alliance Prestige pool, and an Alliance Tournament Statue.
2nd Place: 1500 Prestige to the Alliance Prestige pool.
3rd Place: 750 Prestige to the Alliance Prestige pool.
Individuals win medals.
Anyone who collects an Ancient Champion receives a medal to mark this achievement. And anyone who wins a second Ancient Champion, that would deserve recognition, wouldn't it? You'll see how that works as the tournament progresses....
TIMING
The tournament has already begun. It started at 00:00:01 today, when the undead opened the portals. It will run for exactly 4 weeks, ending on the first second of May 1st.

Start: 03 APR 2013 00:00:01
End: 01 MAY 2013 00:00:00
We wish you luck!

Replies:
Posted By: DanSavin
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 01:49
I hope that's not an April Fool's joke XD

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 01:57
Its April 3...sooo, no.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 01:58
Nope. No joke. Real tournament. Enjoy! :D

Luna

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 02:18
Available for hire if any alliances are interested in recruits for the tournament, most cities located in Arran. Send IGM to discuss.

Posted By: Spheniscidae
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 11:07
Just to clarify - only one champion appears per day per square, right? 

Posted By: isabela
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 11:40
Well These Looks Like Fun, Wink

Posted By: Machete
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 13:40
It hasn't even been one day and some  people have TWO (2) Champions from a square.
How?

Posted By: lethargic0N3
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 13:44
There seems to be a few bugs right now.. confeds occupying the same sqs being one of them

Posted By: GirlFromHell
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 14:10
Yay, finally a TOURNEY! thank you so much! :D

-------------
~Hell_Girl_Rei / -Nyx-

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by Machete Machete wrote:

It hasn't even been one day and some  people have TWO (2) Champions from a square.
How?
A player may win more than one, but a player's TOWN may only win one.

-------------

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 15:38
If a sq produces only 1 Champion per day, why do Ursor and Windlost report 2 Champions each and the tournament is not yet 24 hours old?

This is fatal bug.Dead

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:01
Hi everyone,

A couple of tournament code bugs, now resolved.

1. NAPS and Confeds weren't being suspended and Peace of the Camp was being applied.
 - This bug is fixed for all newly arriving armies.  Existing armies piled on the same under the peace of the camp rules will remain.

2. Too many awards being given out per square.
- This bug has been resolved.  All medals and units awarded have been removed from all players, and new awards for today so far (on the correct schedule) have been granted to the current occupants of the square.

Many apologies for this snafu.

Please open petitions if there are further issues.

Regards,

SC

Posted By: manochandar
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:11
thanks gm for fixing up the bug,but the allaince which were awarded the medals and champion have lost them now,will they be awarded again for occupying today?

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:18
Armies that were on the squares from the *later arriving alliances* have been/are being repatriated.

The alliances still on the squares who would have won today's medals will be awarded them according to the correct schedule.

Regards,

SC

Posted By: manochandar
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:21
thanks for clearing the question gm Smile

Posted By: Vanerin
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:23
If a player from my alliance is occupying a square with another alliance, what will happen if I reinforce? Does this mean neither alliance can reinforce without clearing off the other one? Or will both alliances continue to hold the square with each other?

~Vanerin

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:29
Originally posted by Vanerin Vanerin wrote:

If a player from my alliance is occupying a square with another alliance, what will happen if I reinforce? Does this mean neither alliance can reinforce without clearing off the other one? Or will both alliances continue to hold the square with each other?

~Vanerin

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Armies that were on the squares from the *later arriving alliances* have been/are being repatriated.

All have been repatriated to their home towns to attempt to avoid just this situation where an alliance might end up fighting itself.  

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Vanerin
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:32
Ah, thank you!

Posted By: Gnorfum
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:40
Correct me, if I am wrong. But I would have taken the square (and got a medal with some luck) and instead helped The Crows to defend it and now have 8K soldiers dead and my army returned to my city :(

I understand that such things happen though...

-------------
Learn how to play Illy and live in freedome: http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Alliance/702" rel="nofollow - TOR-U

Posted By: Sliveen
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:41
Is there a list of locations?

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:43
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/TournamentSquares

-------------
Learn how to play Illy and live in freedome: http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Alliance/702" rel="nofollow - TOR-U

Posted By: Pellinell
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:44
thank you devs for screwing T-O out of a square.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 16:55
Originally posted by Pellinell Pellinell wrote:

thank you devs for screwing T-O out of a square.

Really not our intention, Pellinell...

We're very sorry for the snafu and are trying our damnedest to make sure there aren't any repeats.

We entirely understand that at least half of Day 1 of the tournie has been pretty much a debacle for many of the hotly contested squares, but we can't go back and try to work out what would have been different had the code worked as it was supposed to - not least because of the human factor (ie many tournament participants would say "I would have done X differently, had Y happened").  So it's really not something we can roll the clock back on as there are too many moving parts.

Again, our massive, massive apologies; and we sincerely hope that the next 27 days of the tournament will run smoothly. 

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 17:10
you cost us a champion and now allowed the other alliance to strengthen their position which will cost k's of troops. Sorry but I don't see how this is fair

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 17:46
Tough luck. It happens.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 17:54
does it ? 
Was there another alliance with vastly superior forces on a square and had the devs give it away then send all your troops home and allow the alliance they chose to strengthen their position ? 
In what world does 3k troops defeat 30k ?? This is not fair and does not matter how you spin it. 

Posted By: EvilKatia
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:03
can we Possibly rename this tournament the Unfair tournament ? or maybe the Botched Tournament ? Just so that it reflect reality ?

-------------
Kat

'They have to always turn a forum post into a badly written book that gives a headache and takes your iq points' - AO

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:03
Sh1t happens.

I held the Kumala square for 14 hrs. All my troops got killed. Then the bugs were fixed.
No champion captured.

It happens. Move forward.

Build and send more troops.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:07
We are moving forward Wink 

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:07
Guys, it's Day 1 of 28.

If you outnumbered your opponents 10:1, you still outnumber them 10:1 and you can just re-send the army. Bummer about the lost champion, but it's spilled milk. Sorry for your loss.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:12
Originally posted by EvilKatia EvilKatia wrote:

can we Possibly rename this tournament the Unfair tournament ? or maybe the Botched Tournament ? Just so that it reflect reality ?

Whilst we are indeed extremely sorry and apologetic about the snafu'd first 16 hours for some players on some of the squares, I'd like to remind you that this is a 28 day tournament and would hope that the 97% of it left to go would provide a more realistic basis for deciding whether it's "fair" or "unfair".

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:13
Sorry for the complaining all, just a bad way to start a day. 

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:15
Originally posted by Pellinell Pellinell wrote:

Sorry for the complaining all, just a bad way to start a day. 

Heh, no ****.  For all of us.

Apologetically yours,

SC

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:17
This is the Roulette Tournament.  Beware of magnets under the table, though.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:24
Sorry for the grief SC, I am not a morning person ;)

Posted By: EvilKatia
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:31
Sorry SC its just a hell of a greeting for our first tournament let me tell you ! I am also not a morning person.

-------------
Kat

'They have to always turn a forum post into a badly written book that gives a headache and takes your iq points' - AO

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 18:36
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

This is the Roulette Tournament.  Beware of magnets under the table, though.

No fair, TD... magnets imply intentional rigging.  If you're suggesting that we (the devs) are rigging the tournament then you're plain, flat out, 100% wrong.

This is simply a code snafu and random alliances have all been equally affected or not affected by their own actions which to all intents and purposes are random from where we sit.  11 squares out of the 37 were affected, and we reset things as fairly as we could, given the limitations placed upon us by the time/space continuum.

As said earlier, I hope the remaining 97% of the tournament time (and more like 99.3% if you only consider those squares that were affected) will actually provide a victor who is entirely clean of the "cheating" (dev or otherwise) smears that you are already smearing them.

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 20:03
More like random magnets!

The tourney was bugged so much that the first 15-16 hours were rendered moot - no chance of winning a Champion.  Some players lost units while others did not.

The only "fair" tournament fix is to restore units lost.  Reset.  And Restart the tournament anew.  Otherwise, the players that encountered Peace of Camp have an edge - albeit, unplanned by you - over players that encountered non-NAP/Confeds.

Taking back Champions and restarting Champion seeding meant that all action prior to that was for naught.

For the troops that died prior to reset of Champion seeding, there is no tournament remaining.  Those units were lost with no opportunity to capture a Champion.  You might as well have randomly erased troops in barracks before the tournament launched.

But Random Magnets are still Magnets.

Return dead units.  Restart the tournament.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 20:13

Otherwise, the players that encountered Peace of Camp have an edge - albeit, unplanned by you - over players that encountered non-NAP/Confeds.

A lot of the players that encountered the Peace of the Camp rules are complaining that this disrupted their plans - they didn't want to encounter that rule, and some have ended up subsequently fighting players of their own alliances.

The point is that everyone's intentions are different, and whilst from your perspective you might see things as being either beneficial or penalous, from another person's perspective the opposite is true.  This is why we can't, and shouldn't, try to "reset" anything.

A code snafu that has affected some players but not others, and that the effects of which will be perceived entirely subjectively as to their benefit or penalty isn't "fixable" or "reset-able".  The fact that it has (depending on your counting) caused either good or bad outcomes for between < 3% and <1% of the overall tournament outcome means that we're continuing, not resetting.

Again, and still apologetic,

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Salararius
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 21:31
Well, I sure hope someone starts a major war a few days into this tournament.  That would sure spice things up!

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 22:41
Originally posted by Salararius Salararius wrote:

Well, I sure hope someone starts a major war a few days into this tournament.  That would sure spice things up!

Well don't look at us, we're very happy to have peace and enjoy the tourney.   Clap

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 22:48
Which were the 11 sqs affected, I would like to know? If it was 11 sqs only then perhaps at the end, after the tourney, the players who missed out on the Champions could be awarded them as compensation. Dont let it contribute the the overall result but it would still be some sort of compensation, these units have quite good stats.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 23:01
Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

Which were the 11 sqs affected, I would like to know? If it was 11 sqs only then perhaps at the end, after the tourney, the players who missed out on the Champions could be awarded them as compensation. Dont let it contribute the the overall result but it would still be some sort of compensation, these units have quite good stats.

I do like this idea. To compensate players like this would appear fair to me. Or at least more fair then the actual solution.

-------------

Posted By: The Duke
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 00:39
So do I read this right that a new portal will open somewhere else in the region after 7 days??

-------------
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 00:49
Originally posted by Salararius Salararius wrote:

So long as we all stop harvesting trove for the next month, i think we will be ok. 

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45534" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 01:18
SC, we really need to you to look at the Kumala square, it's the end of the 24 hr period and no champion was awarded.    This was one of the squares that had a bug on it.   Someone should have received a Champion.   

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 02:04
Originally posted by The Duke The Duke wrote:

So do I read this right that a new portal will open somewhere else in the region after 7 days??

That's my interpretation, which is good for us since the first Ursor portal is just about as south as it can be.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 02:21
I filed a petition about the Kumala square not giving a Champion for the 1st day.

Thank you GM ThunderCat for your quick response.

(we give the devs enough grief about things going wrong. need to give em props for good stuff also)

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 02:23
There is an odd rumor circulating that alliance-mates cannot reinforce each other on tournament squares. That effectively it's all PvP every man for himself. Can somebody refute or confirm? This rumor seems awfully odd...

Posted By: DTrooper01
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 02:37
My token force reinforced a Crowfed player at the Tamarin square, but in the first battle they were not listed. They weren't repatriated, they were (gasp) Murdered! Shocked

Exactly as I expected them to be! The very low level comanders will have exp. and the token forces they commanded can be replaced, ( dramatic music ) Though the spouses and children of those poor souls would earnestly disagree. Cry

May no one else suffer from this bug. Disapprove

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 03:20
We have multiple plays on at least one square

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 03:24
Ok, that's what I thought, Machete. Thanks.

Posted By: mastere1
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 14:15
Big smile ---> It's probably be my medal on my birtday (sight....)

-------------
...then I'll come to light anyone in the dark.

Posted By: R88
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 19:31
hey guys,
i Would like to clarify something quick.
You win one commander per town (if you win) is that per region or not? 
and if it one per town then the max any alliance can receive is 1000?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 19:53
Originally posted by R88 R88 wrote:

hey guys,
i Would like to clarify something quick.
You win one commander per town (if you win) is that per region or not? 
and if it one per town then the max any alliance can receive is 1000?

Region should not matter. Just 1 per town.

So, yep, the theoretical max would be 1000.

Luna

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Posted By: Eviscerator
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 22:13
So being that they're units, does this mean these Ancient heros can be commanders?
And what is going to be coming out of all the new portals?

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 23:37
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

There is an odd rumor circulating that alliance-mates cannot reinforce each other on tournament squares. That effectively it's all PvP every man for himself. Can somebody refute or confirm? This rumor seems awfully odd...

You should be able to reinforce from the same alliance.  NAPs and Confeds are disabled at the portals.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 23:44
I and hundreds of others can confirm that the same alliances do reinforce.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 00:04
Originally posted by Eviscerator Eviscerator wrote:

So being that they're units, does this mean these Ancient heros can be commanders?
And what is going to be coming out of all the new portals?

Only Ancient Champions have been coming out of the portals... so far. Presumbly something ugly is coming out of the Rift, heading to the portals. 

I do not believe ancient champions can be used as commanders. Can someone validate?

-------------

Posted By: dittobite
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 00:09
I can validate, Ancient Champions cannot be added as commanders, unless ofcourse, in the future the devs want to change the rules.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 00:16
Originally posted by dittobite dittobite wrote:

I can validate, Ancient Champions cannot be added as commanders, unless ofcourse, in the future the devs want to change the rules.

I can definitely confirm that Ancient Champions cannot be used as commanders at this time.  They'd, well, they'd be ridunculously OP'd.

SC

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 00:21
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by dittobite dittobite wrote:

I can definitely confirm that Ancient Champions cannot be used as commanders at this time.  They'd, well, they'd be ridunculously OP'd.

SC

...I'm ok with that... Since once they die you don't get them back. All those in favor?

-------------

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 01:56
Well since commanders are worth 60 of the respective units.  Having 1 champion would be worth 20k attack or about the same as 400 cav.  Oh and it makes them immortal.  

No i say we let them be champions commanders.  After all that gives a pretty nice reward for tournament participation.   Also I would like a dragon :D

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 14:41
How about a listing of Ancient Champions NOT won?

When the square is unoccupied and a Champion appears, it is taken "elsewhere." There doesn't seem to be a way to show when this happens.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 08:39
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

How about a listing of Ancient Champions NOT won?

When the square is unoccupied and a Champion appears, it is taken "elsewhere." There doesn't seem to be a way to show when this happens.

I agree, there should be a notification and why not put the Undead's Champions won on the leaderboard per sq also, they might give H more of a challenge than the rest of us are.Lol

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 09:00
We are probably not going to win this tourney. H? is at 10% of it's total strength going into it...

For people to try say that we are anything but another competitor this time is bs...

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 09:06
How modest Kumo, 4mill mor pop than nearest alliance is significant alone. I dont think there are many alliances anywhere near full strength by way of the war or even the previous tournament. It was inferred that the next tournament was to be a long way off and I for one was surprised that it occurred now. Anyway its been enjoyable to start with and the random allocation of Champions is good, it brings in an extra element of luck, good move devs.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 09:11
oh... so the fact that we are coming out of a war is insignificant. ok. And, somehow, there was an inference that a tourney was further off... (we certainly didn't hear any of that an wish it were true). But... We are used to people colouring us in the worst possible light in the odd chance that through hard work, diligence and focus we might, perhaps come out on top.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 11:15
Someone told me one of the Devs said in GC that the next tourney was a long way off, the statement was made some weeks ago. Where you read me saying the war was insignificant I don't know but carry on with it.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 18:59
MD-- 80% of Illy wasn't in the war... The vast majority of alliances are untouched by it. And isn't it interesting how population was ignored back when folks were arguing about whether the war was fair or not (soup vastly outnumbered us) but now it is all important?

Posted By: Sloter
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 19:24
It is good tournament in terms that alliances with less troops have chanse to make good impact.It was intersting to see how many alliances completly ignored fact that portals will change location to some more defendable terrain.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Sloter Sloter wrote:

It is good tournament in terms that alliances with less troops have chanse to make good impact.It was intersting to see how many alliances completly ignored fact that portals will change location to some more defendable terrain.

I see this as a roulette or wheel of fortune game.  Since the champ spawns randomly during the day, it really depends on luck if you happen to be in possession at the spawn time.  True, some alliances might be able to hold a sq for the full 24 hours.  And then the prize for holding is 1 champ unit.  The tourney prizes are not interesting to me at all - alliance prestige and medals - and offer no incentive to lose troops to obtain.

The most attractive aspect of this tournament is that is something to do.  That said, I'm doing nothing until/if a portal spawns nearer to my cities.  1 day + travel times for this tournament do not make sense to me - given the randomness.

Posted By: Sloter
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 19:35
There is element of luck i agree.So many troops were lost while people tried to defend on plains or small hills/forests, they could have just waited for portals to apear in same region on some better location.Those who manage their casualties now and type of units that are used will do well later tourney.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 22:31
@TD: Because the spawn is random, the big alliances need to have a coherent plan to hold the square for many hours. It can certainly be done; several alliances have already locked up squares for days. I see that the variety as a positive. Certainly randomness is different than the prior mechanic of every hour, on the hour rewards. But predictability just led to people hitting the square with an avalanche of firepower a few minutes before the next hour.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 23:29
Brand - yeah, an alliance can mass occupy a sq starting just before midnight to give it the best chance of earning a champ for the ensuing day.  However, you can also hold a sq for 23 hours and 55 minutes and still not earn the champ.

Also, since a portal lasts only 7 days, if an alliance moves in mass on a portal, they have to return home when the portal moves.  Then relaunch to the relocated portal.  Figure 2 days + travel time for a mass occupy and for portal #2, the alliance will be out of the action for 4 of 7 days on that portal.  Then include time to communicate orders to an alliance - add another day.

This tourney does have the advantage of being different.  And it is something to do.  Smile

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 23:35
The movement mechanic gives smaller alliances a chance to mix it up every 7 days. The little guys might not be mighty, but they can be mighty fast.

Posted By: surferdude
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 23:41

Also, since a portal lasts only 7 days, if an alliance moves in mass on a portal, they have to return home when the portal moves.  Then relaunch to the relocated portal.  Figure 2 days + travel time for a mass occupy and for portal #2, the alliance will be out of the action for 4 of 7 days on that portal.  Then include time to communicate orders to an alliance - add another day.
Sounds more like there are strategies for different troop types of different races, rather than just piling on a square (e.g. fast, mass produced, terrain type etc)

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 00:12
Originally posted by Sloter Sloter wrote:

There is element of luck i agree.So many troops were lost while people tried to defend on plains or small hills/forests, they could have just waited for portals to apear in same region on some better location.

There are some regions which are predominantly plains - if you wait for a non-plains square you might be waiting a long time and not get any champions.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 00:20
Originally posted by surferdude surferdude wrote:

Sounds more like there are strategies for different troop types of different races, rather than just piling on a square (e.g. fast, mass produced, terrain type etc)
Oh yes.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 06:55
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

MD-- 80% of Illy wasn't in the war... The vast majority of alliances are untouched by it. And isn't it interesting how population was ignored back when folks were arguing about whether the war was fair or not (soup vastly outnumbered us) but now it is all important?

Kumo, I dont remember ignoring population during the war, in fact I was one that tried to get you to admit your claim of Soup outnumbering Coal was incorrect. All the alliances on Coal's side both officially and unofficially were at the time of the discussion, approximately 5 million above Soup's number from memory.

Anyway my original post here held a little sarcasm within it, I have openly congratulated H on their efforts in the past and yes I know I have disagreed and argued with you too but never have I disrespected the H brand intentionally. The rest of us should be trying for 1st place in the tourney instead of 2nd hence we would need to take you guys out instead of each other which is giving you guys some easy results on certain sqs. Mind you your general location is quite good also which helps. Time will tell but H is smashing it currently.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 15:11
Mr Damage - your Population calcs are unfortunately flawed but this probably isn't the thread to debate it though.

Let me put something by you which might get you to understand.  Let's say your alliance was currently in first place and a bunch of people started posting on the forum (rightly or wrongly) that it was because you were way too powerful and everyone should "take you guys out instead of each other" what exactly would you do?  Sit back and let it happen?

The facts are that we are the largest alliance, however we've just come out of a 6 month war having spent literally millions of troops and a ridiculous amount of resources.  When you then figure in that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th alliances did not participate in the war I'm pleasantly surprised about where we are right now.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 15:18
With regard to the tournament pages - can someone on the dev side please fix the graphs on the regions page which start at 1 and not 0 - it's annoying (and incorrect). 

-------------

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

With regard to the tournament pages - can someone on the dev side please fix the graphs on the regions page which start at 1 and not 0 - it's annoying (and incorrect). 
Example?

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 15:53
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/TournamentSquare/25

"Ancient Champions won" graph.

The start of the graph makes it look like a champion was won between day 1 and day 2. (since the graph shows zero on the y axis and 1 on the x axis at the origin. 

The graph should be [0,0] at the origin and the first data point for Soon should be at [1,1] - after 1 day of the tourney they had 1 champion.

At the moment it looks like we're in the middle of day 7 not day 6.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 16:27
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

The facts are that we are the largest alliance, however we've just come out of a 6 month war having spent literally millions of troops and a ridiculous amount of resources.  When you then figure in that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th alliances did not participate in the war I'm pleasantly surprised about where we are right now.

This is all very true... But it seems so strange that when H? was at 10 times the military capacity (100%) you performed so low at the beginning of the previous tournament. 

Luck is surely on your side this time. 

-------------

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 17:45
I will take a great deal of the blame for our "low" participation in the last tournament.  

I was very vocal about H? holding off till the later part of the month primarily for the following three reasons:

1) We had just came off a huge win in the prior tournament and knew that several of the larger alliances were gunning for our locations.  As such, I wanted to have the option of reacting to and utilizing our vast cavalry reserves rather then as in the prior tournament the cavalry reserves of competing alliances being used against us.  I seem to recall a 40K cavalry hit that forced the devs to relook at their combat system.  

2)  This was the biggest factor:  The squares would be become more valuable in the later state of the month.  So, I championed again to hold our reserves in order and to start off by "punishing" with cavalry certain squares/stacks so as to build up the value of certain real estate.  

3) The skyclad was an unknown unit and without any stats associated with them, I again did what I could to forestall H?'s total commitment to the tourney.  I refer you to thread announcing the rules and prizes for the last tournament and my fourth post requesting  stats for the units in question.  With the devs not being forth coming, I personally wasn't going to put my troops or  H?'s troops at risk till there was a clarification of this point.  Combine this with #2 and you can see that I was more then happy to sit back and watch things develop. 

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 18:45
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

I will take a great deal of the blame for our "low" participation in the last tournament.  

I was very vocal about H? holding off till the later part of the month primarily for the following three reasons:

1) We had just came off a huge win in the prior tournament and knew that several of the larger alliances were gunning for our locations.  As such, I wanted to have the option of reacting to and utilizing our vast cavalry reserves rather then as in the prior tournament the cavalry reserves of competing alliances being used against us.  I seem to recall a 40K cavalry hit that forced the devs to relook at their combat system.  

2)  This was the biggest factor:  The squares would be become more valuable in the later state of the month.  So, I championed again to hold our reserves in order and to start off by "punishing" with cavalry certain squares/stacks so as to build up the value of certain real estate.  

3) The skyclad was an unknown unit and without any stats associated with them, I again did what I could to forestall H?'s total commitment to the tourney.  I refer you to thread announcing the rules and prizes for the last tournament and my fourth post requesting  stats for the units in question.  With the devs not being forth coming, I personally wasn't going to put my troops or  H?'s troops at risk till there was a clarification of this point.  Combine this with #2 and you can see that I was more then happy to sit back and watch things develop. 

An excellent post/lesson on strategy and military tactics!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 19:41
KP dont forget those 2nd,3rd and 4th alliances were in a tournament around the beginning of the war and H weren't the only ones in the war either. All parties are weakened in truth and you guys are indeed performing well as expected. We will always disagree on the numbers per side in the war, doesn't matter now its over. Best of luck with the remainder of the Tournament.

Posted By: Sirius
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 20:05
Can assassins attack encamping commanders? I've sent many assassins against armies occupying a portal square; although I only received successful reports no effect was ever visible.

Someone knows if assassins have been disabled during the tourney, if they still don't work against occupying armies or if it can be a NAP/confed issue?

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 20:08
That aspect of diplomacy has yet to be implemented. 

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 20:26
Or, to put it another way, assassins only work against commanders when they are in a city.  The only diplomats that work on non-city squares are scouts, spies and messengers.  Thieves, assassins and saboteurs can only be used on player cities at this time.

Edit:  Other diplomat types may receive reports from non-city "mystery" locations such as the fortune teller, Rift, Fortress of Shadows, etc.

Posted By: Sirius
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 20:54
Thanks, I didn't remember if assassination had finally been implemented outside cities (with the possibility to bring diplo units with armies). Now I know that I can stop that diplo production and go for something else ;)

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 21:09
@Rill: what can spies accomplish against field encampments?

Posted By: Gon
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 01:18
Well while this isn't exactly what you mean. Spies have a farther diplo view distance so sending them to a square with an army gives further range to see nearby camp sizes.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 01:45
What Gon said.  You can attach either scouts or spies to an army and park it near a square to provide diplo visibility.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 06:22
So there is no direct use of spies against encampments.

All diplo units have a radius, even messengers. Most aren't worth mentioning, except scouts and spies.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 08:16
Thieves, sabs and assassins do not have diplo visibility.  Neither, to my knowledge, do messengers.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 18:15
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

So there is no direct use of spies against encampments.

You can spy an encampment.  Whether it works depends on whether the encampment has it's own defensive spies attached to the armies etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 19:29
Spies on encampments are a waste.

Spying a map feature might generate a useful report.

Use Scouts on encampments to learn about the troops present.

Attach spies to encamping armies for 4 sq diplo visibility.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net