Print Page | Close Window

Announcement: Broken Lands Expansion!

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4724
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 13:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Announcement: Broken Lands Expansion!
Posted By: GM Luna
Subject: Announcement: Broken Lands Expansion!
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:10

Hello Illyrians, 

The dev team and I are extremely pleased to announce today the addition of the Broken Lands expansion, coming to Illyriad. There is a lot of great info about the expansion (including a super shiny cool preview trailer and fully interactive 3D world map) available at the Broken Lands website. 

Check it out here:  http://www.illyriad.co.uk/BrokenLands" rel="nofollow - http://www.illyriad.co.uk/BrokenLands

I'm sure you have tons of questions, but before you ask them, take a glance at the FAQ page on the website because you may find your answer there. 

http://www.illyriad.co.uk/BrokenLands/FrequentlyAskedQuestions" rel="nofollow - http://www.illyriad.co.uk/BrokenLands/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

If you have any other questions you are free to ask them here and we will attempt to answer as many as we are able. 

I hope you are as excited as we are (which is very excited)! Apologies for the long silence leading up to the announcement. We've been working quite hard and in secrecy for a while, which is much less fun than being able to share it with you now. :)

GM Luna

*kermitflail*

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Replies:
Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:48
Super Exciting!

But quick question... The FAQ says we can have 10 cities in Elgea and 10 in Broken lands...

"Q: If I already play Illyriad, can I settle a new city on the Broken Lands?

Yes. Existing players will be able to have towns in the Broken Lands areas. The account limit for towns has been raised to include 10 towns on Elgea and 10 in the Broken Lands."

Does that mean if we have 20 in Elgea we can't have any in Broken lands? or does that mean  we can have 10 more in Elgea and 10 more in Broken Lands?

(slightly confused)

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:51
It means what it says, 10 in Elgea 10 in BL. Not 20 in Elgea or 20 in BL.

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:51
Originally posted by GM Luna GM Luna wrote:

It means what it says, 10 in Elgea 10 in BL. Not 20 in Elgea or 20 in BL.

Luna

Never mind. I figured it out... per account not per player...

Posted By: Grainne
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:53
Will present Alliance diplomacy (NAPS, confeds, etc.) and player affiliation extend to The Broken Lands?

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45918" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 17:53
The account limit is raised, yes. 10 per continent. Sorry to confuse.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:05
Will we be allowed to choose the race on the new continent, if we already have cities in Elgea?
Like Anderrent is human, can he be an elf in Broken Lands? (assuming that it is a single log in to Illy)

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:13
Nice - which Hollywood superstar did you find for the video voiceover?

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:16
WebGL, I assume means no more iPad play? I guess my days here are numbered then...

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: bansisdead
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:19
/me wee's my loincloth...

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/124253" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:25
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Nice - which Hollywood superstar did you find for the video voiceover?

Well, King Sigurd of course. ;)

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:26
From what I read you can't send troops/diplos between continents, so its safe to say there are no benefits to being on both continents. You can play on just one continent and not worry about falling behind from not expanding, correct?

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:28
Thanks for the update. 

Seems Faction AI and new Quest system are being deployed the same time as the new continent. 

512 new technological researches is a lot. Can you give us a little bit more detail about what those pertain to... Quest related? Faction related? Magic related? 

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45534" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:29
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

From what I read you can't send troops/diplos between continents, so its safe to say there are no benefits to being on both continents. You can play on just one continent and not worry about falling behind from not expanding, correct?

I agree with your sentiment. It seems the only big benefit of being on both continents is you get to maximize the amount of cities you manage, and you get to experience both continents worth of quest lines. 

-------------

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:32
Alot of will start building on the new side to conquer the world :D

-------------

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:33
This is exciting news and thank you Dev Team!!   :)

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:36
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

WebGL, I assume means no more iPad play? I guess my days here are numbered then...
If WebGL is not supported (or desired) it will fallback to the current map interface.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:50
Maybe if we list enough solid questions the devs will dedicate some time to answering a few!

- With new 3d world map, will we be getting 3d cities aswell? 

- The website list 512 technologies to research, is this just the current # or is this new technologies for the expansion? 

- Will Elgea be forgotten as all new stuff is done to the Broken Lands? 

- How many silversteel mines will be in Broken Lands?... and if you can PM me the locations that'd be great.

- Why would a player want to manage a set of cities on each continent if they can not work together? 

- Factions and a new quest system seems to be rolling out whenever B.L. drops. Any other new systems that will be deployed with Broken Lands?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 18:50
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

If WebGL is not supported (or desired) it will fallback to the current map interface.

Thanks TC. all you 2d folks can rejoice. 

-------------

Posted By: Darmon
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:00
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic4745_post62552.html#62552" rel="nofollow - Edit: I moved the questions that were here before over to the Massively TV Q&A thread, and reworded them to make a little more sense.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:01
Merging threads with questions about the broken lands. Please keep them all here. Thanks! :)

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Ryklaw
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:18
Thank you! 
This is a much appreciated announcement demonstrating that Illyriad has an awesome dev team.

Posted By: EvilKatia
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:21
no wonder u were excited Luna now we are too Hope toget a date and more info on this update soon :)

-------------
Kat

'They have to always turn a forum post into a badly written book that gives a headache and takes your iq points' - AO

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:24
well it said 2013 so im sure it wont be more then 2-3 years :) 

sounds like this could be great

-------------

Posted By: Scorpiain
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:38
Great announcement - Should be great!

Query - Will we get another tenarils teleport spell on the new continent? So using exodius + tele we can have all cities on a 7 food tile?

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 20:07
Originally posted by Scorpiain Scorpiain wrote:

Query - Will we get another tenarils teleport spell on the new continent? So using exodius + tele we can have all cities on a 7 food tile?

FAQ says you wont be able to move cities across continents. 

We should all consider the Broken Lands like a brand new instance of Illyriad. Uses our existing account race and info so we don't have to create new accounts, but its in a whole new land that runs independent of Elgea. 

-------------

Posted By: Scorpiain
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 20:29
Originally posted by geofrey geofrey wrote:

Originally posted by Scorpiain Scorpiain wrote:

FAQ says you wont be able to move cities across continents. 

We should all consider the Broken Lands like a brand new instance of Illyriad. Uses our existing account race and info so we don't have to create new accounts, but its in a whole new land that runs independent of Elgea. 

Sorry maybe I didnt word it clearly - Your new city on the new continent.. will that be teleportable? Or only exodus (if you have cities on the old continent)

I expect we will be able to teleport the new city on the new continent.. as it is independent.. let us hope!

Posted By: Elmindra
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 20:36
Since it is all one server, will GC still be Global?  And will we get more chat options, like an Elgea and Broken Lands chat?

Will alliances and confeds and nap's be Global global then?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 20:38
Originally posted by Elmindra Elmindra wrote:

Since it is all one server, will GC still be Global?  And will we get more chat options, like an Elgea and Broken Lands chat?

Will alliances and confeds and nap's be Global global then?

It appears so. 

I do wish Alliances were continent independent. 

-------------

Posted By: Arakamis
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 20:45
Originally posted by Darmon Darmon wrote:

Will there be data dumps available for The Broken Lands?

I hope there won't be, at least for a year or so maybe. If the answer is yes that means i should turn back to my best location finder software development. :) I still have the excels for that but they need too much time to get them to work properly. :/

Providing data dumps at this stage will only create unfair advantage to some people (including me maybe Smile), which is against the core idea of this whole new continent i guess.

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 21:03
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

Excellent, and thanks.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: scaramouche
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 21:47
Without seeming ungrateful for the hard work and effort the DEVS has put into creating the BL, but as TD said in GC earlier, isnt there still a lot to finish off in Elgea? before embarking on Elgea 2?

Also I cant help but feel this is a ploy to just get hardened players to part with more money from prestige.

Will this also create a " THEM and US " attitude in the game?
Dont get me wrong, I find BL an exciting prospect but it does raise some questions.

-------------
NO..I dont do the Fandango!

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 21:50
I wonder if there will be muskrats in the broken lands....

-------------

Posted By: arnesson
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 21:50
We are currently permitted to have two accounts in Elgea.  If I read your reply above correctly, we would have to abandon one of them in order to establish an account in the Broken Lands.  If such is the case, can the Prestige balance of the abandoned Elgea account be transferred to the new account in the Broken Lands?

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 21:55
Originally posted by arnesson arnesson wrote:

We are currently permitted to have two accounts in Elgea.  If I read your reply above correctly, we would have to abandon one of them in order to establish an account in the Broken Lands.  If such is the case, can the Prestige balance of the abandoned Elgea account be transferred to the new account in the Broken Lands?

You are misunderstanding. Broken Lands is not a separate server, just a new continent. You don't need to make a new account or abandon your existing one to play on it. The FAQ explains in a little more detail as well.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: isabela
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 21:56
YES IN  THE NEW MAP DO  WE HAVE TO SEND SETTLERS FROM MAIN ACCOUNT TO THE NEW MAP? OR WE HAVE TO MAKE A NOTHER ACCOUNT? OR IS IT AUTO OR SOMETHING? Big smile

Posted By: arnesson
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 22:14
Thank you for your reply Luna, but I am still a tad confused.  The FAQ clearly states:

Yes. Existing players will be able to have towns in the Broken Lands areas. The account limit for towns has been raised to include 10 towns on Elgea and 10 in the Broken Lands.

Are you saying that I can have an account, AND an alt account, in BOTH Elgea AND in the Broken Lands?

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 22:21
You can have 2 game accounts. Each game account can have 10 cities on Elgea and 10 on Broken Lands if they want. 

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Loud Whispers
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 22:27
Originally posted by isabela isabela wrote:

YES IN  THE NEW MAP DO  WE HAVE TO SEND SETTLERS FROM MAIN ACCOUNT TO THE NEW MAP? OR WE HAVE TO MAKE A NOTHER ACCOUNT? OR IS IT AUTO OR SOMETHING? Big smile

In the FAQ it says a research is required to settle a city upon the other continent. It is implied then that settlers will be required, at least for the first city, to settle on Elgea from BL or BL from Elgea.

On that note, thanks for putting broken lands in the South. Makes for a great view on the Southern Islands :D

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 22:27
Will those accounts be allowed to join different alliances in the BL or does an account need to belong to the same alliance in both? (this will greatly impact the strategies that alliances take...)

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 22:31
Think of BL as a land expansion. The lands are separated, yes, but your account is still the same. The account is what belongs to the alliance, not the towns. 

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:10
Any new craftable items, magic spells, or trainable units?

Will faction quests be available in Elgea?

-------------

Posted By: lethargic0N3
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:13
So should most of your current alliance decide that up to 10 cities is enough.. that they are not interested in the new lands.. you will have to make a choice to stay with your alliance that has little presence on the new server, opps I mean new land or leave and find an alliance with a presence on both

Posted By: blazingwolfeyes
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:25

Think of BL as a land expansion. The lands are separated, yes, but your account is still the same. The account is what belongs to the alliance, not the towns. 

Luna

the option to use all four races is not available with the BL expansion?

the player has a maximum of two accounts not four
each account has a maximum of 10 cities on BL and 10 cities on Elgea
name, race, alliance, prestige of each account are the same on BL and Elgea
any town settled in the peaceful zone on BL can not be attacked
resources can not be transferred from Bl to Elgea or Elgea to BL

your reputation follows you, so if you harm a player on BL, expect retribution on both BL and Elgea or vice versa

Posted By: Grainne
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:33
Thank you, Luna for answering our questions.  

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45918" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Yeesha D'ni
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:35

You can have 2 game accounts. Each game account can have 10 cities on Elgea and 10 on Broken Lands if they want. 

Luna

Possible partnership breaks, nervous breakdown, Illy break .... I can foresee lots of breaks Tongue then with xxx cities on different continents in totally different contexts.
To be serious: I am not happy about those broken continent idea. Hope there will be a way to interact between. As you usually play one identity, have your friends and your Ally ingame, but dealing with too many construction areas doesn't help anybody, quite the reverse, it could lead to Illyriad tiredness, RL timestress (most of us work and have families), confusion in micromanagement and cities loosing meaningfulness.
Those two continents need a connection, as nobody can be in 2++ allies without going crazy. Illyrian virtual life will probably loose consistency.
And concerning those HTML 5 map. It's awesome. Hope we can find a way to get this feature without loosing all Ipad  users. Maybe HTML 5 as an optional feature (2D and 3D mode).
But all in all: can't wait this update.... sooner then soon!

Posted By: Loud Whispers
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:44
Originally posted by Yeesha D'ni Yeesha D'ni wrote:

I am not happy about those broken continent idea. Hope there will be a way to interact between.

The devs have acknowledged this, and hinted towards the long awaited BOAAATSSS (and other odd dirigibles) to possibly fill in this niche in a future date.

And magic wars can still be fought between people in the Southern Elgean islands and the Northern Broken Land islands!

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 23:57
Originally posted by Loud Whispers Loud Whispers wrote:

I am not happy about those broken continent idea. Hope there will be a way to interact between.

The devs have acknowledged this, and hinted towards the long awaited BOAAATSSS (and other odd dirigibles) to possibly fill in this niche in a future date.

oh, they hinted boats? Don't know when and where they did (maybe in their draft 2010), although I would be glad about that. But as the devs days only have 24 hours as well, I don't know, when they want to develop them and a possible difficult pathfinding scripting. But maybe harbours and fix (and expensive) boat transfers would be an idea (with a limitation on baggage as gold and ressources). So many possibilities to realize kind of (controlled)  interaction.
Oh, I would love to have trade relations between that countries, maybe with different goods, only available on one continent, or faction related (like the Parlanese or the Kingdom of Tal), who sail the seas.
We'll see....

Posted By: Janosch
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 00:58

Luna

Possible partnership breaks, nervous breakdown, Illy break .... I can foresee lots of breaks Tongue then with xxx cities on different continents in totally different contexts.
To be serious: I am not happy about those broken continent idea. Hope there will be a way to interact between. As you usually play one identity, have your friends and your Ally ingame, but dealing with too many construction areas doesn't help anybody, quite the reverse, it could lead to Illyriad tiredness, RL timestress (most of us work and have families), confusion in micromanagement and cities loosing meaningfulness.
Those two continents need a connection, as nobody can be in 2++ allies without going crazy. Illyrian virtual life will probably loose consistency.
And concerning those HTML 5 map. It's awesome. Hope we can find a way to get this feature without loosing all Ipad  users. Maybe HTML 5 as an optional feature (2D and 3D mode).

I largely agree to this statement including the great 3d features. Even running two accounts with ten cities each is too much (at least for me). Adding a new server/separate world or a new continent to the same world is a great step. But doing some mixture out of it sounds like a bad idea to me. I have settled all my cities relatively close together. not interested in starting a new totally separate hub/game.

If the set-up is as it sounds like, most players and alliances will (have to) choose between the old and the new continent. That opens the questions what active players in the new world do that entirely want to migrate to the new world. They need to abandon their accounts and create new ones? Or do they need to ask other players to take over all their cities?

I see particularly smaller players and new players join the new continent. This will particularly weaken small alliances and lead to a reduced inflow of new players (=less chances for small/new alliances to grow). Not sure, if that will really benefit the established part of Illyriad.

However, we will see how things develop.

-------------
You like Democracy? Join the http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic3448_post42792.html#42792" rel="nofollow - Old Republic !

Posted By: Nikon
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 01:58
i dont think im understanding this correctly....

will the same alliances be the same in both elgea and broken lands? we wont have to join a new alliance or create a new one in the expansion?

Posted By: Darmon
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 03:58

Luna

Originally posted by Nikon Nikon wrote:

i dont think im understanding this correctly....

will the same alliances be the same in both elgea and broken lands? we wont have to join a new alliance or create a new one in the expansion?

I'm pretty sure what she's trying to say is that if existing accounts make new towns on the new continent, those towns still belong to the account that is part of the alliance, therefore those towns will also be aligned with that alliance.

Posted By: Nikon
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 04:26
thanks for the clarification :D

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by Janosch Janosch wrote:

Luna

I largely agree to this statement including the great 3d features. Even running two accounts with ten cities each is too much (at least for me). Adding a new server/separate world or a new continent to the same world is a great step. But doing some mixture out of it sounds like a bad idea to me. I have settled all my cities relatively close together. not interested in starting a new totally separate hub/game.

If the set-up is as it sounds like, most players and alliances will (have to) choose between the old and the new continent. That opens the questions what active players in the new world do that entirely want to migrate to the new world. They need to abandon their accounts and create new ones? Or do they need to ask other players to take over all their cities?

I see particularly smaller players and new players join the new continent. This will particularly weaken small alliances and lead to a reduced inflow of new players (=less chances for small/new alliances to grow). Not sure, if that will really benefit the established part of Illyriad.

However, we will see how things develop.

Well, I never came near the 10 cities in any account, but yes, it would double the workload... IF you want so. I for my part will definitly send one or two towns down south, for checking out the new story line. Then, I'll have another round of planning Wink

And those 3D maps are optional. If any device can't cope with it, the 2D maps will appear.

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:18
Reading through the whole lot of concerns and questions asked, I can see many flaws in this as well as many awesome features and posibilities. 

You should really consider the "alliance" thing and maybe add a code that allows players to have an alliance on each continent. Lets say you wish to play on The Broken Lands and 90% of your alliance is not interested in having towns there, that leaves you with a sad choice of quitting your alliance. Yes it allows you to interact with more players, get more friends and so on but it is still a damn shame that you are not given a choice to stay with those you care about and want to be hanging out with in AC. 

It will of course give new alliances a posibility to become great and prosperous with vet players breaking up the current alliances and forming new ones, etc. but as I said, you should really consider making 2 alliances (1 on each continent) allowed per account.

Joshua

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:25
... just forgot to add that I realize you may be running into technical difficulties with the "1 alliance for 2 continents" issue, but I have to underline that you are programmers, pretty much anything is possible, given time. I'm pretty sure you could create a "wall" that seperated the server as you do with the trading option and the sea. 

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: Mandarins31
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 12:52
what directly -pleasantly- shocked my eyes on this new continent, is the organisation of the terrains. Apparently some excellent work has been done to create some "pure" areas, with really only forests or mountains, which differs from the current map where mountains ranges or forests are not so pure. And these pure areas are in numbers. Though, there is still a large proportion of heterogenous areas like on plains. 

Really, only by looking at the map, i can say a work have been done to permit every one to develop his own play-style.

Im really excited!

Posted By: twilights
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 13:10
what ways can we help illyriad promote broken lands? personally i would love an influx of new players to the game. right now college and high schools are in full swing, probably if advertising is directed to them the game can bring them in. mobile devises are key plus good facebook exposure. if the game can provide a good support for gaining their attention i would be happy to help in any way. can u provide with ways we can help?

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 13:28
Is the map that is presented in the 3D model the actual topographical map of the Broken Continent? 

I ask for two reasons:  

1) As Luna pointed out after I asked about it on GC - The old continent in the 3D map is as broken and destroyed as the Broken Continent.  Luna has stated that there will be no change to the topography of the old continent despite its appearance on the 3D viewer.

2) I went looking for the new faction and couldn't find any land layout that resembled the island with the sphere - nor the supposed bleak terrain that would be surrounding it for what I read as several squares at least 10 or so around in my assumption.    

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 13:54
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

... 1) ... Luna has stated that there will be no change to the topography of the old continent despite its appearance on the 3D viewer. ...  
I remember there was some elevation data in the original mapping of the continent, to help generate the biomes and terrain data, though the elevation data didn't itself become part of the game. Shame, as a few months ago I hunted around for a high-res elevation map, with a view to doing a WebGL view of Elgea (I settled for Canvas/2D instead).

-------------

Posted By: Spheniscidae
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 14:53
Has anyone noticed that if you scroll in close enough on the 3D map, you can even see your own towns in the correct places on the map? Very nice! Didn't realise it was so detailed...

*goes hunting for nice spots to settle in the Broken Lands*

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 15:21

Is the map that is presented in the 3D model the actual topographical map of the Broken Continent? 

I ask for two reasons:  

1) As Luna pointed out after I asked about it on GC - The old continent in the 3D map is as broken and destroyed as the Broken Continent.  Luna has stated that there will be no change to the topography of the old continent despite its appearance on the 3D viewer.

2) I went looking for the new faction and couldn't find any land layout that resembled the island with the sphere - nor the supposed bleak terrain that would be surrounding it for what I read as several squares at least 10 or so around in my assumption.    

3) There are places called "Pirate Isles" and "The Orken Coast" with no isles or coastline to speak of.  

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 15:25
Are you saying that the map you are looking at does not look like the map from the video?

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 15:32
Yes, both the Elgea continent and The broken lands continent show up vastly different as shown in the video from actual (in the case of Elgea) topographical layout in the 3D viewer that I am looking at on FireFox.  

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 16:20
Hmm, my 3d viewer looks the same when I zoom out to the level they were in the video.  I will say that when you zoom in to a close level, the sheer amount of z axis depth is a little extreme and makes seeing some tiles quite difficult.  Maybe the mountains and valleys need toned down a bit, as I can see playing in regular 2d to be much easier.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 16:46
I love that 3 D view, but would love it even more, if  we would be able to change the view angle. At the moment it is only to scroll in and to drag the map, but as some areas are mountains, you can't look behind. Nice would be to see all 360°. Maybe, its easier to play in 2D, but I support an 3D option as well, as it makes the map and gaming experience more plastic and vivid, the 16 bit colour 2D map tends to look quite "retro" and a bit out of time.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 19:20
After seeing some screenshots posted by others, It seems all my browsers are misbehaving from refusing to show WebGL content (Chrome/IE) and Firefox that appears to be making up its own topography.  

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 19:35
It could also be the video card.  My work computer will not run WebGL but when I get on my home computer I can view it perfectly fine in Chrome and Firefox.  At work Chrome says I don't have WebGL and Firefox says my video card isn't compatible with it (very cheap crappy Dell onboard video)

-------------

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 20:26
Yeah - there is some weirdness with webGL.  On the same PC FF (v18.01) says it cannot display due to my graphics card (high end nvidia) while Chrome (v24.0.131) works just fine.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 22:15
As I am quite keen on that 3D feature (and I assume lots of you as well), I started an webGl thread, just to keep this thread open for other themes. Maybe, it would make sense to post the hardware, browser and screen resolution as well, just to help the devs to work out.
The thread can be found here:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic4730_post62269.html#62269" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic4730_post62269.html#62269

Posted By: Trelling
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 01:27
Some thoughts on the Broken Lands expansion ...

finally ... Yaahh!! ... very excited but concerned ...

I started Illy 10 mths ago and the server response time was way way better than it currently is and it has been poor for about 3 to 4 months ... with BL and an entire new continent coming online then this has to be finally fixed or BL will break Illy and players will find something else ...

You stated in the faq and i quote:
"You will not be able to move cities between Elgea and the Broken Lands. Each continent's population requirements for growth are measured independently. Your empire on each continent will be built up separately."

for both Elgea and BL to work you should have totally separate servers ie Server 1 - Elgea and Server 2 - Broken Lands

and at the same time the Elgean server needs to be upgraded as it is barely coping as it is without just adding another continent.

but it is even worse as the Eastern side of BL is open PVP unlike Elgea and the Western side, this when you also consider the active factions will make for more server load esp given 6 or so months time for us to build up multiple cities with 1000's of troops each ...

the server seperation can also be [and should be] used to enable us the players to have both seperate Alliances Per Continent and also seperate continent/server chat rooms

I know u think that u might be helping us in letting us have and use the current elgean alliance that we are in, in BL but you are mistaken in this, totally ...

you even state it yourself in a way, when u said the the population and cities are treated seperately and that cities are not able to be moved from elgea to BL ... by my way of thinking and by the faq's you seem to indicated that there is not much communication between the continents anyway so why and how should an Elgean alliance be able to function and run from the Elgean to the BL continent ??

the answer to this is? That the Alliance should not cross mix continents at all !!

also going back to the current chat system, the new BL expansion should be used as an opportunity to finally modenise the chat system as it currently does not really meet the Illy community needs to begin with.

in my opinion it needs to have at a minimum:
1. a true Global Chat [both Elgea server and BL server]
2. a local server chat ie a Elgea LC and a seperate BL LC [LC = Local Chat]
3. alliance chat
4. private chat [that can be use for example as a 2 player chat, or as a Confed alliance chat]

as i said, this is not a criticism of you Devs as you have a potentilly great sandbox game developing, but you really need to listen to us, the player community, and help you to help us ...

I also have some thoughts on the current player military command [actually a total lack of a player high command military function], as it stand the military side is a hopeless mess ... command and control player empire wise ... that i will post later on ...

-------------
In a world where data is coin of the realm, and
transmissions are guarded by no better sentinels
than man-made codes and corruptible devices,
there is no such thing as a secret.
Dr Kio Masada

Posted By: The Electrocutioner
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 04:56

Originally posted by Trelling Trelling wrote:

by my way of thinking and by the faq's you seem to indicated that there is not much communication between the continents anyway so why and how should an Elgean alliance be able to function and run from the Elgean to the BL continent ??

the answer to this is? That the Alliance should not cross mix continents at all !!

If you feel that way, then start or join a continent-specific alliance. The devs aren't stopping anyone from doing that. I'm sure such alliances will spring up, just as there are alliances on Elgea where all of the members are in a limited geographical area by choice.

I'm only one player. I don't want to be in a different alliance just because my cities are on different continents. We'll all be equal in BL when it begins, but if anyone were to, say, attack me in BL, my alliance would make them pay for it in Elgea if they have cities there. And many (probably most) of us will have cities on both continents. 

But that's just me. The cool thing is (as with most things in Illy), you have a choice. If you think a continent-specific alliance is best for you, then do it!

Posted By: Kaison
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 06:32
Beautiful expansion, i can see this going beyond your own expectations GM's. Wink

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 07:33
Originally posted by The Electrocutioner The Electrocutioner wrote:

by my way of thinking and by the faq's you seem to indicated that there is not much communication between the continents anyway so why and how should an Elgean alliance be able to function and run from the Elgean to the BL continent ??

If you feel that way, then start or join a continent-specific alliance. The devs aren't stopping anyone from doing that. I'm sure such alliances will spring up, just as there are alliances on Elgea where all of the members are in a limited geographical area by choice.

I'm only one player. I don't want to be in a different alliance just because my cities are on different continents. We'll all be equal in BL when it begins, but if anyone were to, say, attack me in BL, my alliance would make them pay for it in Elgea if they have cities there. And many (probably most) of us will have cities on both continents. 

But that's just me. The cool thing is (as with most things in Illy), you have a choice. If you think a continent-specific alliance is best for you, then do it!

thats okay for you and i respect that, but i firmly believe that the players should have a choice with alliances, when an alliance is formed initially, they should be able to choose from 3 options: 1. Elgea/BL wide alliance, 2. Elgea only alliance and 3. BL only alliance.

this would obviously mean that a player with cities in both Elgea and BL would have the option to either be in 1 overall alliance or 2 different alliances 1 for his/her Elgean cities and 1 for his/her BL cities ...

this would be the preferred option for me and it also gives the various player and their personal playing styles the most options and to be honest ... from programming/coding side this would not be that hard to implement either 

regards

Septimius

-------------
Dr Kio Masada

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 07:39
One of the only things that makes this an 'expansion' and not 'server 2' is alliances are the same and accounts are the same.  If you want a BL only alliance then go make an account only in BL and make a BL alliance.  If you want an Elgean alliance then play on.  If you want both then settle the new cities.  You can still do exactly what you want, no sense  in taking away other playstyles  because you don't like it. 

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 09:37
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

One of the only things that makes this an 'expansion' and not 'server 2' is alliances are the same and accounts are the same.  If you want a BL only alliance then go make an account only in BL and make a BL alliance.  If you want an Elgean alliance then play on.  If you want both then settle the new cities.  You can still do exactly what you want, no sense  in taking away other playstyles  because you don't like it. 

considering i said that there should be 3 different dilplo options in that 1: elgea/BL, 2:elgea and 3:BL i totally see how i am taking away from the player experience but adding to it ...

perhaps you should go back to school and open your dictionary ...

-------------
Dr Kio Masada

Posted By: Ossian
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 09:38

Edit: Contents deleted

Oops sorry . Double post Embarrassed

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 09:45

Some thoughts on the Broken Lands expansion ...

finally ... Yaahh!! ... very excited but concerned ...

...in my opinion it needs to have at a minimum:
1. a true Global Chat [both Elgea server and BL server]
2. a local server chat ie a Elgea LC and a seperate BL LC [LC = Local Chat]
3. alliance chat
4. private chat [that can be use for example as a 2 player chat, or as a Confed alliance chat]

I support the above points taken from Trelling's post and urge that the Broken Lands Expansion be made seperate from Elgea making a fresh start for all.

That having been said The Broken Lands Expansion is indeed a very exciting prospect.

Posted By: Capricorne
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 11:22
I'm really happy and unhappy at the same time with it.

I'm happy cause it seems that the factions will be live and the new quest thing is something long awaited for me. It will be incredibly cool! The new map too must have been well thinked and adapted to the new factions and their history and all. Totally different than Elgea Map.

I'm unhappy cause it give me the opportunity of doing all with my current accounts. Upgrading the city limit to 20 (10/continents) do not seems to be a good thing to me. With the last harvestable/crafting release I saw a lot of players burnout from illy cause they tried to do all the aspects of the game at once... and when they realize the it was sooooooooooooo time consuming, they just quit. And all this with just a 10 city limit... I let you imagine what may happen in a 20 city limit.

The other bad things for me is the lack of too much interraction between the land. I would rather see the expention totally open or totally close cause with the current setting, I'll be happy to wage war in the PvP part of the broken land but won't really be allowed to do so cause even if we're on the same foot on broken lands I may (and certainly will) experience some retailiations in Elgea so I bet that my alliance won't be happy about it and so if I want to enjoy the PvP part of broken Land I'll be somehow forced to leave my alliance and certainly Elgea cause without the support of my alliance I do not see why the comunity will let a warmonger live in the old continent. 

Another reason to quit the alliance is that as the alliances will remain the same in Elgea and Broken Land (a good idea btw) all the diplomatic statut will follow. So if an alliance is friend with most of the alliance in Illy the players in this alliance that travel to broken land won't be able to fight so much since they're basically friend with everyone.

If that have to remain that way I hope that you're (the Devs) planning the storyline of the destruction of Elgea and that you've setting all this to make a soft transition. If not there will be a lot of headheach and indeed, a lot of great time too ;)

Great job anyway. can't wait to see what will happen.

Friendly,
Cap.

Posted By: Aristeas
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 11:23
That all looks really exciting and promising, especially the new faction questing system. Thumbs Up

But as we are getting more cities and so more to do, we will "loose" more time to the game, will we get options to automatize some stuff on the accounts as to reduce the time needed to manage our bigger accounts? Like, some gathering automatas, so we don´t have to send out our gatherers to our usual destinations all manually? Could get quite tedious, and to much time loss to the game could lead some people to quit this game alltogether...

Posted By: Chaos Armor
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 15:08
You don't have to move to the new continent. Nor do you have to harvest resources. The Devs are giving you options not requirements, which I find to be very considerate of them.

Posted By: Aristeas
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 17:27
Of course those are all our choices. But one can choose what suits one in the short run and harms one in the long run. You can want to discover the new continent with all it´s wonders and discoveries, while not really having the time for it, what inevitably will resurface given time and the sinking of excitement for the then no longer so new stuff there...

Generally it´s great that bad choices have bad results, but I wouldn´t like to see players leaving the game not because it´s to bad and boring but "just" because it is to time consuming. Some new features that save time would be a help there and would give more players the chance to enjoy more of the faboulos content here. 

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 00:12
Originally posted by Aristeas Aristeas wrote:

Of course those are all our choices. But one can choose what suits one in the short run and harms one in the long run. You can want to discover the new continent with all it´s wonders and discoveries, while not really having the time for it, what inevitably will resurface given time and the sinking of excitement for the then no longer so new stuff there...

Generally it´s great that bad choices have bad results, but I wouldn´t like to see players leaving the game not because it´s to bad and boring but "just" because it is to time consuming. Some new features that save time would be a help there and would give more players the chance to enjoy more of the faboulos content here. 

I strongly agree on that. I love the depth of Illyriad, but during the time I played it, it got significantly time consuming. For sure, nobody is threatened to use all the features as gathering, crafting and trading, but if you do, illyriad can get kind of a challenge due to the high time effort caused by micromanagement.
If eg. questing would make sense in the moment, what it doesn't, and you wanted to do all quests with every town every day, this would be a quite time consuming effort. If you tried to gather with all your gatherer units every single day, it would be a high effort as well, as you had to search for new spots every single day. Even if you have daily routines like sending them out to an occupied spot, it takes some time.
Trade sometimes takes me 1.5 hours just to adjust and amend all buy and sell offers. How shall the normal mid and endgame player of Illyriad, especially when having an Alt profit of all those new features? I think it could get hard (and a hard proof to your friends, partners and family members)
As I said in another post, it would be that time consuming, that you had to be out of work without any family duties to play Illyriad in the end.
Therefore I support some developments concerning useability (customer friendlyness and operability). I assume, that automized sending out gatherers is not the solution, as through this bot-ting ingame economy would break down.
But maybe impleting a page, from where you can send each towns diplo units or caravans to fulfil a quest. Or an overview, from where you can see each towns building, researching and crafting queues without clicking through every single town.
Or concerning trade: This amending of buy or sell offer page is not customer friendly and effective at all, as you can't compare and rely on current buy or sell offers. Why not an amending option on the buy/sell page (where you can see the latest offers). It would make daily amending much quicker.
Or this page, where you can dispatch caravans. Why not an impleted option, where you can send deliveries directly to trade hubs with resident traders (without opening the trade hub page).
Many processes can get bundled on one single page. Please follow the device: "Less grinding, more game fun."
So Devs, please think about it, as the most customers, which will settle down at the new continent will be players, who already have settled down in Elgea, most of them with already an Alt or an sitted account.

Another thing, I wanted to contribute:
I still miss Illyriad in all important german and english speaking gaming magazines ( http://www.gamestar.de/" rel="nofollow - Gamestar , http://www.pcgames.de/" rel="nofollow - PC games , http://www.buffed.de/" rel="nofollow - Buffed ), or in native sandbox gaming online pages specialized at MMORTS like Beau Hindmans great blog:  http://sandboxer.org/" rel="nofollow - http://sandboxer.org/ . Hope to see Illyriad as the MMORTS with the greatest depth (at least what I experienced) there soon!!

And last not least: my personal petititions:
  • Don't seperate Broken Lands from Elgea, as it is impossible to play 3 identities at once. I am more then glad with my ally, and liked to play it in the Broken Lands as well. I am focussed on trading, I'd really like to have trade relations and kind of that interactions between Elgea and Broken Lands as well. Please don't make Illyriad two different games.... Illyriad would loose constistence through that, at least for players used to play at Elgea. In another post I already suggested, how this could be achieved.
  • Please implete a trade channel next to AC and GC.
  • Last not least: I hope those faction quest will get more meaningful then our current quests (which are far way from being meaningful). I count on your statement, that players will have to make decisions. As it would not be fun, if every player reached 80% faction standing at every hub in just some months. Deciding for one hub should be deciding against another, with all consequences to deal with. Meaningfulness should be the motto, as it dignifies the player (and his/her intelligence) and makes him/ her having more fun. So I hope, our decisions in those quests will be crucial. And I hope, factions will behave significantly differently from each other, due to the fact that everything predictable has the potential to get boring and meaningless.   Wink

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 09:33

+1 Thumbs Up

Posted By: BellusRex
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 03:37
I'm just wondering if the current settlement rules will still apply in the west of BL?  Given whats been said, it wouldn't seem to matter if you settled close to a non-confed player, and if sov won't be an issue that would seem to suggest city placement may not be much of a major decision...

-------------
"War is the father of all things..."

Posted By: Dvalin
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 08:44

[..]Some new features that save time would be a help there and would give more players the chance to enjoy more of the faboulos content here. 

[...]Please follow the device: "Less grinding, more game fun.

ClapThumbs Up

I only quoted those lines, but I agree with the whole posts.
Well said!
But somehow I'm skeptical they will be heeded.

Posted By: Scamandrius
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 22:17
Originally posted by BellusRex BellusRex wrote:

I'm just wondering if the current settlement rules will still apply in the west of BL?  Given whats been said, it wouldn't seem to matter if you settled close to a non-confed player, and if sov won't be an issue that would seem to suggest city placement may not be much of a major decision...

If hunting animals and gathering crafting mats is still possible, which it will be, people will still want to exercise control over a local sphere of influence. Even without the need for sovereignty, would you want another player to settle four squares away and mine the valuable ore next to you, or kill every animal in sight that drops something useful and prevent you from harvesting?

Anyone capable of projecting power will want to control the valuables around them. Even if attacks on cities are impossible i am sure bumping matches and harvest massacres will become common.

Posted By: Gon
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 22:30
It did just occur to me that conflict might actually be more common in the PvP protected area. People will be able to attack each other's troops without fear of having their cities attacked. That will be fun for those who chose to live there.

Posted By: mohit9006
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 17:17
but that will also mean a conflict between those players in Elgea,,,most players in BL will also be in Elgea...and Elgea doesnt has Pvp...

what we do will not only impact the factions but also our game play in elgea

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/96873" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Arakamis
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 17:50
Originally posted by mohit9006 mohit9006 wrote:

but that will also mean a conflict between those players in Elgea,,,most players in BL will also be in Elgea...and Elgea doesnt has Pvp...

what we do will not only impact the factions but also our game play in elgea

Why Elgea doesn't have PvP? Elgea does not have PvP Protected Area, that means a whole continent of PvP area. just the opposite of what you are saying.

Posted By: Scamandrius
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 17:55
Originally posted by mohit9006 mohit9006 wrote:

I assume what you meant is Elgea doesn't have PvP protection.

Like I said, those who can project their power will try to do so.  If you have cities in Elgea and in the broken lands, and some newcomer places a town next to you to begin harvesting on your doorstep, you may be inclined to bump them or kill their harvesters.  If they belong to H?, Crows, Invictus... maybe you won't.  On the other hand they might not be so hesitant to bump you or kill your harvesters on what they consider their valuable property, but that is going to be up to individual players and what their leadership will tolerate.  There are very nice people in every alliance and then there are the total farquods.

Posted By: Llyr
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 18:00
Personally I think the "winners" in Broken Lands will be players who start there and do not have cities in Elgea. In that case they can play as they wish without having Elgea properties "held hostage".

In addition, since Broken Lands won't have a constant stream of welfare wagons going to new players, starting there will be much more difficult. I expect even more abandoned towns and accounts there.

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/187558" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 19:50
I anticipate there will be an early "race" by some Elgean alliances to establish themselves in TBL using prestige to their advantage.

Early on, newbie dropout rates likely will be higher in TBL than in Elgea due to lack of res supply.  In time, TBL likely will develop a base of established cities that will supply newbies there.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 23:03

Yes, both the Elgea continent and The broken lands continent show up vastly different as shown in the video from actual (in the case of Elgea) topographical layout in the 3D viewer that I am looking at on FireFox.  

I found a fix to get Chrome working for me finally:

In the shortcut: append --enable-webgl to the end.  You will also need to enable the short cut to run as administrator.  

-------------

Posted By: demdigs
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 21:05
Will the update with the factions going live and the new continent come out at the same time? or will they be broken up into multiple updates? 

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 22:09
We currently have it planned to be all at once, but that may change if it is necessary.

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 22:16
We have high hopes for Factions.  I've been looking forward to Factions since I first read about them 2 1/2 years ago.  :)

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 00:24
I have high hopes as well, I can't wait. 

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 00:35
Dem,

I'm wondering how many players that scurried to the outer regions of the map for more "personal space" will discover the mean Factions have a different idea regarding personal space.  Tongue

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 00:38
lol, we will see, however, in elgea the well established players will have less to fear then the newer players that settled in the west. you can always bribe them hopefully. 

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 00:49
as for tbl idk if the aggressive factions will be worth the prime locations, if u can brave the neighbors it might be worth the locations

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net