Print Page | Close Window

nCrow/Crow Q&A

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Politics & Diplomacy
Forum Description: If you run an alliance on Elgea, here's where you should make your intentions public.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4205
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 05:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: nCrow/Crow Q&A
Posted By: (EOM) Harry
Subject: nCrow/Crow Q&A
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 17:38
Hello fellow illyrians!

In light of the latest thread of the Consone and witnessing the grace that they answered the questions given to them I wanted to get a few things straight and dispel myths that you guys out there may have of nCrow and the crows as a whole.

Background: After starting my time in the FDU  I moved into mCrow where I took part in quite a few diplomatic and strategy meetings which shaped and re-shaped aspects of what we see as Illyriad today. Whilst playing for two years I was involved in the Valar war as well as the permanent banning of Lionz Heartz (if any of you guys remember him) at which point i was given the go ahead to start a separate Crows wing with the intention to create a training alliance after CrowW initially broke down, from then on nCrow grew in both size and maturity at a rate that me or our other Rooks (Rill/Cookieman/Mona Lisa) could not believe at the time, so we took it upon ourselves to mould nCrow into a fully fledged and operating alliance which now fends for and operates by itself in the number 12(?) position on the Top Alliances page.

I speak for myself as Rook of nCrow and a member of the crow federation. I cannot speak for all the opinions of the crows and won't go into the nitty gritty of the more "touchy" subjects but any questions i do get i will answer to my fullest!

Thankyou 
Harry

-------------
Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.

Replies:
Posted By: Gossip Boy
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 18:23
Originally posted by (EOM) Harry (EOM) Harry wrote:

Hello fellow illyrians!

In light of the latest thread of the Consone and witnessing the grace that they answered the questions given to them I wanted to get a few things straight and dispel myths that you guys out there may have of nCrow and the crows as a whole.
Harry

So basically you are just jealous of all the limelight consone is getting. Wink

-------------
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove

Posted By: Sisren
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by Gossip Boy Gossip Boy wrote:

Hello fellow illyrians!

Harry

So basically you are just jealous of all the limelight consone is getting. Wink

Or Harry believe is transparency...
Let's apply Ockham's razor...

Harry - what is nCrow's position on harvesting?

-------------
Illy is different from Physics-
Reactions are rarely Equal, and rarely the opposite of what you'd expect...

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 18:30
When do you begin your secret surprise offensive against against Consone?  (Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.)

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 18:33
Gossip Boy- Not at all fella, nCrow usually like to stay out of the limelight but i believe that consone has set a good precedent in what Sisren has described as "transparency"

Sisren- 

Basic resource harvesting: Bumping happens, feel free to harvest resources near nCrow, if you bump just let the player know that it was unintentional, however we don't like armies of resource plots and we would expect the same courtesy.

The new resources: nCrow are in possession of numerous mines and herb plots and do place armies on those plots from time to time in order to keep those mines safe. However if you let us knowthat you're interested in mining or gathering these resources then more often than not its our pleasure to accomadate our fellow illyrians

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 18:34
Aurodan- next week (but shh) 

In seriousness, nCrow have no problem with any alliances in consone and very many members have swapped between the two confederations, it would be like warring with your brother and those only come from extreme hurt or extreme positions. All in all consone are our friends.

(sorry to dissapoint)

-------------

Posted By: Gossip Boy
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 18:40

Aurodan- next week (but shh) 

All in all consone are our friends.

(sorry to dissapoint)

I am sure that aurordan isn't the only one you have disappointed, Harry.

And i second harry crows and consone are friends.

-------------
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 19:43

The new resources: nCrow are in possession of numerous mines and herb plots and do place armies on those plots from time to time in order to keep those mines safe. However if you let us knowthat you're interested in mining or gathering these resources then more often than not its our pleasure to accomadate our fellow illyrians

A very nice gesture, when many folks are busy protecting resources with armies, even when they are not harvesting effectively. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 19:51
Why is getting definite answers on just about anything from most Crowilition leadership like pulling teeth? =P

Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 21:00
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Why is getting definite answers on just about anything from most Crowilition leadership like pulling teeth? =P

We'll get back to you on that....
Wink

but seriously, which leaders have you approached and what was the subject of your questions?  I am not a leader as such, but found I generally got pretty straight forward answers from them which is part of the reason I transfered my account here at the end of the Valar war.

Perhaps you are asking too many things in relation to the crowalition as a whole, as obviously it takes time to define answers to questions like that, you need to ensure everyone is on a single line and as the crowalition is fairly free thinking between its individual alliances, making such declarations require alot of deliberation.

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 21:48

Crows have teeth?

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 22:33
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Crows have teeth?

Well... Beaks count, don't they? ;)

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 22:37
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

We'll get back to you on that....
Wink

but seriously, which leaders have you approached and what was the subject of your questions?  I am not a leader as such, but found I generally got pretty straight forward answers from them which is part of the reason I transfered my account here at the end of the Valar war.

Perhaps you are asking too many things in relation to the crowalition as a whole, as obviously it takes time to define answers to questions like that, you need to ensure everyone is on a single line and as the crowalition is fairly free thinking between its individual alliances, making such declarations require alot of deliberation.

I will go with the assumption that Brids17's question was tongue in cheek since Brids17 is part of Crow leadership, no?  (Rook?!?)

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 00:17
Mostly tongue in cheek. But it is hard to get anyone to get an answer out of the other two Rook's in mCrow. Though I think that's mostly due to being busy in real life. 

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 00:57

I can only speak for myself and say that usually it's because the answer is "I don't know."  Sure, I could just SAY "I don't know," but then I'd feel stupid. Plus, people don't believe me anyway.

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 02:03
I think it's difficult to get an answer because policy is difficult. Every case should be treated on its own merits, but the game is complicated enough that there are always exceptions to the general case/policy.

I'm sure everyone wants to know the boundaries of someone they're competing with. Setting expectations can help avoid conflict, especially if they relate to the case in point. Many alliances set 'lazy expectations' - detailed conditions that will and will not be tolerated, and I say "lazy" because they do not consider all the possibilities of a specific case that a player will be curious about. Besides, these policies must be sought-out, and for that reason, they're effectively inaccessible.

If players want to operate with transparency, and avoid wars over silly misunderstandings, then those players should enter situations carefully, being aware of potential conflicts, and then open the diplomatic channel (I mean talking PvP, rather than sending in the Assassins!) to agree boundaries.

So, the short answer to nearly everything is, "Every case is different; let's talk about this one."

(edit, for spelling correction)

-------------

Posted By: Mona Lisa
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 03:06

Crows have teeth?

..That's why they keep me around ! ...  /gnash  /gnaw

-------------

Posted By: STAR
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 13:44
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Crows have teeth?

Well... Beaks count, don't they? ;)

LOL

Posted By: Darmon
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 19:50
Here are another couple for Harry (or Mona, or Rill, or Crowish leadership in general):

1. What does being a Rook actually mean?  I realize you have to call your leadership something, but it's something that's fairly consistent across all the Crow branches.  Which implies to me there is a more concrete idea involved besides just "whoever is in charge of <whatever> alliance."

2. How does the Crowalition actually work?  Or does it?  Maybe this is a follow-up to #1 and involves Rooks.  I guess I'm wondering how broader policy decisions are addressed, or if they are at all?  It seems to me that the Crows are a very loose-knit group held together by just names and a mutual defense pact.  The community at-large seems to hold some different opinions though, and I don't understand why that is...  (Something historical, maybe?)

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 00:12
I have a general Crowalition question--- What does a conference room look like after a long meeting of your leadership team? And who cleans that up? ;)

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 01:23

I have a general Crowalition question--- What does a conference room look like after a long meeting of your leadership team? And who cleans that up? ;)

I'd like to know this too. I tried showing up but the door is always dead bolted shut. =P

-------------

Posted By: Faenix
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 02:03
I don't have access to the conference room of course, but here's the car they all arrived in.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 02:05
Originally posted by Darmon Darmon wrote:

Here are another couple for Harry (or Mona, or Rill, or Crowish leadership in general):

1. What does being a Rook actually mean?  I realize you have to call your leadership something, but it's something that's fairly consistent across all the Crow branches.  Which implies to me there is a more concrete idea involved besides just "whoever is in charge of <whatever> alliance."

2. How does the Crowalition actually work?  Or does it?  Maybe this is a follow-up to #1 and involves Rooks.  I guess I'm wondering how broader policy decisions are addressed, or if they are at all?  It seems to me that the Crows are a very loose-knit group held together by just names and a mutual defense pact.  The community at-large seems to hold some different opinions though, and I don't understand why that is...  (Something historical, maybe?)

I am answering for myself only.  There are other people who will come along and give lots better answers.

1.  I would guess it probably means something different in every alliance, and possibly to every Rook.  In general at least in nCrow the ummm ... guano ... flows uphill, so the Rooks are the people who deal with the things that no one else wants to do, either at the behest of our members or of other alliances.  Most Crow branches are fairly egalitarian, so the members decide what we are going to do and then the leaders (and others) carry it out.

Or, to put it in ornithological terms ... you know how when a flock of Crows is startled and they all rise up into the air and fly away, sometimes there are one or two left on the ground that make good targets?  Those are the Rooks.

2.  Probably you have as many opinions within the Crowalition about how the Crowalition works as you do in the outside community.  I guess what I would say about how the Crowalition works is "pretty well, mostly, except when it doesn't."  

My experience is, when someone has an idea, we spend a lot of time talking about it among the Rooks, within alliances and between Crows of different alliances.  Usually half of us try very hard to prevent whatever it is from happening, because we don't like change.  Another quarter of us try to get people to do the opposite.  Another 15% don't care (this number is often higher).  Ten percent of the people really want to do whatever.  Sometimes they end up doing it, sometimes they don't, depending on how significant it is and how many people they persuade.  Things are much more likely to happen if whoever has the idea is also willing to do all associated work.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 02:06

See my previous comment about the uphill flow of the guano and the willingness of people to do the work.

In general, it's the job of whoever was foolish enough to call a meeting.

Posted By: Darmon
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 09:28
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I am answering for myself only.  There are other people who will come along and give lots better answers.

1.  I would guess it probably means something different in every alliance, and possibly to every Rook.  In general at least in nCrow the ummm ... guano ... flows uphill, so the Rooks are the people who deal with the things that no one else wants to do, either at the behest of our members or of other alliances.  Most Crow branches are fairly egalitarian, so the members decide what we are going to do and then the leaders (and others) carry it out.

Or, to put it in ornithological terms ... you know how when a flock of Crows is startled and they all rise up into the air and fly away, sometimes there are one or two left on the ground that make good targets?  Those are the Rooks.

2.  Probably you have as many opinions within the Crowalition about how the Crowalition works as you do in the outside community.  I guess what I would say about how the Crowalition works is "pretty well, mostly, except when it doesn't."  

My experience is, when someone has an idea, we spend a lot of time talking about it among the Rooks, within alliances and between Crows of different alliances.  Usually half of us try very hard to prevent whatever it is from happening, because we don't like change.  Another quarter of us try to get people to do the opposite.  Another 15% don't care (this number is often higher).  Ten percent of the people really want to do whatever.  Sometimes they end up doing it, sometimes they don't, depending on how significant it is and how many people they persuade.  Things are much more likely to happen if whoever has the idea is also willing to do all associated work.

Very interesting.  I'll hafta sleep on all that.  And maybe when I wake up, there will be a few aforementioned goodies from other Rooks.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net