URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=2964
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 13:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Undead Horde - Intro & Rules
Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Subject: The Undead Horde - Intro & Rules
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 17:14
CIRCLE OF FIVE RIFT THEORIES

Archmage Stendas of the Circle Of Five has issued a statement of the greatest importance to all the Lords and Ladies of Elgea; and we reproduce it faithfully here for all to read:

"We have spent many days and nights trying to divine what has happened regarding The Rift that has opened up in Ursor. All of our efforts have been bent to this task, and we have some findings that we would like all to know.

Early last week, one of our mages in Ursor attempted an entirely theoretical work of magic, with the unauthorised assistance of some Shamans from the Blood Reavers. We do not know what went wrong with the spell, except that its devastating effects have been felt throughout the land.

The Rift that has opened up at this location appears to have formed from pre-existing stresses in the rock formations of this area, and we are grateful to the Clan Moedagh for their assistance in coming to this conclusion. The structures that have appeared around The Rift are, however, constructed rather than natural. Constructed by whom we do not know, but they appear to be ancient in their design and we do not yet understand their purpose.

What we can tell is that The Rift has opened a long-closed gateway to a forbidden place that we had believed long lost in time and space. Vast energies are spewing out of this tear in the veil of the darkness and have been seeping into the land. Earthquakes and tremors have rippled through the kingdom, and the graves of the departed, both ancient and recent... friends, family and loved-ones... have been disturbed in every corner of this once-fair land.

Out of these graves, the dead themselves are rising... called and impelled by the energies of The Rift to gather together and travel to the forbidden world beyond. For what purpose, and who is calling them we cannot say, but have theories and suspicions that require further research. The Order of Allembine is assisting us in this endeavour, and we gratefully acknowledge their contribution.

We do know that certain loci of power - Standing Stones - are acting as beacons or conduits to this netherworld of darkness, and it is to these that these soulless horrors are drawn. We also know that the dead can only rise and travel at night, for the daylight entirely extinguishes their powers.

We are extremely concerned that for the forthcoming entire lunar cycle the dead will continue to rise in ever-increasing numbers and powers, gather in groups, and attempt to transit to this forbidden realm. We have also received reports that groups of the undead have been attacking some of the cities near the rift, as well as some of those cities that are amongst the most powerful Alliance capital cities. This last matter concerns us greatly as it strongly implies the existence of an unknown intelligence behind their actions.

We have asked King Sigurd and The Council of Illyria to issue an edict requiring all the Lords and Ladies of Elgea to slay these abominations before they travel beyond our reach, but the Council have refused to take such action as we recommend, and we have been perplexed by their reticence to act in the face of such appalling circumstance.

So, taking matters into our own hands, we hereby entreat all the Lords and Ladies of Elgea to gather at these beacons and to kill, without mercy, as many of these undead beings as they can - before they travel to the forbidden realm. The most successful commanders will be richly rewarded for their endeavours.

Go forth, occupy the standing stones before nightfall, and wreak destruction on these abominations! Our hopes for success go with you."

Replies:
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 18:25
TOURNAMENT IV - THE SMALL PRINT

Gist of the Christmas Grist
The Undead have risen across the continent of Elgea, and are being drawn to Active Standing Stones.  

When they reach these Active Standing Stones, they depart this realm and go to the Netherworld.

The Circle Of Five faction doesn't like this at all:  Who is gathering the souls of the dead and why? What's on the other side of the Rift?

The Circle Of Five believes that the best way to combat whatever is going on is to stop the undead from getting to their destination.

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
They also believe that - as time progresses - the strength and numbers of the undead will grow each night.

Anyone can participate in this tournament - all you need is an army with a Commander, although you would also be wise to have some troops as well :)

... and a horde led by rotting zombies
a) Send your armies to occupy Standing Stones (either Active or Inactive) anywhere on Elgea, or 
b) Occupy a square at The Rift in Ursor.

Your army should arrive before nightfall (1845 Server Time) in order to be guaranteed that the Standing Stone will become Active for that night.

I see dead people
The Undead will rise throughout the night (1900 to 0700 Server Time) and attempt to reach the Active Standing Stones.

You want to kill them as they arrive. 

Ranking the ranks
This is a Tournament for COMMANDERS to win.  Not towns, not armies, not alliances, not players.  This is important, as it will influence strategies quite substantially.

The Top 3 COMMANDERS who gain the most amount of experience points (XP) from slaying the undead during the Tournament will be the winners in each League.

7 Leagues-a-Slaying
We have assigned every player in the game to one of seven league, according to the total city population of each player as sampled a couple of days ago.

We have done this to help ensure that different players of different sizes all have a chance of winning a prize.

But I wanted a pony! It's not fair!
Changing your town's population will *not* change your League.  These Leagues are pre-assigned, and no amount of wishing, begging or cajoling will get these leagues re-distributed, so please don't ask.

You can see which League you have been assigned to on the Tournament Page (linked from the World Map button on the top navigation bar ingame).

To the victor goes the T-shirt-based-spoils
For each league:
  • 1st Place
    450 Prestige and a custom-made Illyriad T-Shirt with your playername displayed underneath your choice of existing T-Shirt design, colour and size.

• 2nd Place
    250 Prestige and a non-custom Illyriad T-shirt of your choice (Design, Colour and Size)

• 3rd Place
    150 Prestige and a black-on-White Illyriad T-shirt of your choice of Size.

All good things must come to an end
In this case, at 1200 (Server Time / UTC) on Wednesday the 18th of January, 2012.

Miscellotherousany
1. Should you win, in order to claim your prize you will need to provide us with your name and shipping address.
2. As this is not a Council of Illyria tournament, there are no changes to the normal rules regarding the Peace of the Camp.  The regular friend/neutral/hostile rules *are* in force.
3. Your commander does not need to be alive at the close of the tournament in order to "win".

We wish all commanders the very best of luck!

SC

EDIT: Miscellotherousany 3 added

Posted By: Learner
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 18:30
Beautiful!
Not sure if I missed it somewhere. Does this start immediately? (In less than 30 minutes from time of this posting?)

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 18:35
Originally posted by Learner Learner wrote:

Beautiful!
Not sure if I missed it somewhere. Does this start immediately? (In less than 30 minutes from time of this posting?)

Yes absolutely - in fact, those players who have already slain some undead have a small head start.

Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 18:46
I had commanders in occupation and the stones are not showing as active???

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 18:48
Will the commanders continue you attack high ranking players? Not that I'm complaining, being one of these lucky fellows, but it seems a bit unfair to the low ranking chaps

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 18:53
Not sure if we're meant to find this out on our own, but I was wondering:

1. What type of soldiers do they count as? Will there be more than one type (as with the animals)?
2. Is all we can do defend? Then diplo units won't be of any use in this tournament?
3. If the participating commander dies and is revived, does the count reset or continue?
4. Can the undead army be seen on the world map?

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 19:11
Originally posted by Learner Learner wrote:

Not sure if we're meant to find this out on our own, but I was wondering:

1. What type of soldiers do they count as? Will there be more than one type (as with the animals)?
2. Is all we can do defend? Then diplo units won't be of any use in this tournament?
3. If the participating commander dies and is revived, does the count reset or continue?

1.  You can click on the unit images in any reports.  so far they are infantry and spears

2.  Diplos are useless as per usual for tournies.

3.  I imagine the count of a revived commander would count, although do not know if a commander will receive xp for a battle he dies in.

Regarding my earlier post...... Derrrrr, its not 6:45 yet....  What an idiot.....  I am.

;)

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 19:12
So is this doubling as a way to get people to test the AI?

-------------

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 19:39
Are the Standing Stones normal squares? No Special tournament rules applying to them? 

So our current alliance diplomatic standings determine who we can and can't attack on the squares? 

Posted By: LordBliss
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 20:34
okay, i am confused. do i get a pony or not?  cause if not, that's totally not fair

Posted By: Tordenkaffen
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 20:48
Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!!!

Posted By: shadow
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 21:57
WOOHOO!!! So happy to have a new tourny! Thanks GM's, you have come through yet again! Clap

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 00:32
I'm baffled by the council's complacency.  Regardless, my commanders shall endeavor to destroy these aberrations at every turn.  

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 01:02
Originally posted by geofrey geofrey wrote:

Are the Standing Stones normal squares? No Special tournament rules applying to them? 

So our current alliance diplomatic standings determine who we can and can't attack on the squares? 

Originally posted by 
<span style=font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 21px; text-align: left; : rgb43, 43, 43; >GM Stormcrow</span>  GM Stormcrow  wrote:

2. As this is not a Council of Illyria tournament, there are no changes to the normal rules regarding the Peace of the Camp.  The regular friend/neutral/hostile rules *are* in force. 

Posted By: Finrod
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 02:58
Would it be possible to confirm that the undead spawn throughout the night, and not only at the normal spawn times?

Posted By: Juswin
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 03:21
Would the stones remain permanently activated once occupied at the appropriate time, or is there a time limit where they would remain activated?

Posted By: Manannan
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 03:28
Hang on!!! I didn't think it was till December 21st 2012 the undead were meant to rise?! The Mayans were wrong... they're a year early! LOLLOL

Good luck to one and all in the tournament and whoever takes the commentary role for it. I'm assuming TD will resume normal sane service for it after my surreal commentary last time.

Do we get a statue for this contest too? Actually I wouldn't want that... Let the contest for the t-shirt begin! Big smile

Look out undead masses here I come! Ouch

-------------
Doesn't look good... doesn't look bad either!

"Manananananananananan, so long Sir, and thanks for all the fish." ~ St.Jude

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 03:31
I would love to help write tournament commentary if TD and Mana have to bow out.  Would it be possible to get battle reports from the Rift locations, and anything notable that happened at standing stones?  Otherwise Ryelle could scout Rift locations regularly to report when they change hands.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 04:11
Originally posted by Juswin Juswin wrote:

Would the stones remain permanently activated once occupied at the appropriate time, or is there a time limit where they would remain activated?

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

... and a horde led by rotting zombies
a) Send your armies to occupy Standing Stones (either Active or Inactive) anywhere on Elgea, or 
b) Occupy a square at The Rift in Ursor.

Your army should arrive before nightfall (1845 Server Time) in order to be guaranteed that the Standing Stone will become Active for that night.

I see dead people
The Undead will rise throughout the night (1900 to 0700 Server Time) and attempt to reach the Active Standing Stones.

I read that as: they deactivate during day time, and randomly activate at night (unless it's occupied before 1845)

Posted By: Prometheuz
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 10:34
Congratulations to the Devs team for this tournamement and the way in which both "The Rift" and "The Undead Tournament" have been prepared and and introduced thus far Smile

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 14:55
Any chance we could get links, so that we can see the complete listing for any specific league?

Posted By: JimJams
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 17:46
It's just me or we have a lot more attack against camps in the Rift, compared to 1-2 attacks on Standing Stones ? If this is the case I have to say people with cities nearby the Rift have huge advantage...

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 18:38
Maybe so.  But are there more than 1-2 attacks on any single space, or are there just a bunch of moving undead because there are so many different squares?

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 19:48
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I would love to help write tournament commentary if TD and Mana have to bow out.  Would it be possible to get battle reports from the Rift locations, and anything notable that happened at standing stones?  Otherwise Ryelle could scout Rift locations regularly to report when they change hands.

Rill,

Honestly, I can't think of an entertaining or informative approach to commentary on this tourney.  In many respects, this tourney is similar to the critter-killing tourney (#2) and I was stumped as to how to comment in an entertaining and informative manner on that one, too.   We can all see the daily standings for the top 10 of each group.  And essentially, this is a very passive tourney - set out an army and wait for it to get hit.  Replenish the army with troops when it is nearly depleted.

There might be some exciting developments if players start smashing competitors' armies - but only the 2 players involved would know that so they would need to report that to us.  However, except for the top 10, no one knows who to smash in their own league - say if #20 wants to slow down #19 - #20 doesn't know who #19 is so there is nothing to be done except wait for the zombie slot machine to generate a hit for #20.

Best of luck, Rill.

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 20:04
I believe this tourney will be different in many aspects. Too early to predict something.

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 21:06
If undead numbers don't increase alot then I agree with TD - it will be an activity test like tourny #2.

I think I read that undead strength will increase... question will be to what extent.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 21:21
To continue that question, would the undead armies be limited in number/growth rate depending on the League the defending player is in? Or is it more of..by the end of the month, only the big players have enough troops to defend?

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 21:53
The fact that we can--indeed must--sit and wait for them to come to us is a huge difference from the click-fest of the previous tournament.  I can't think of a good strategy that requires being online more than twice a day.

-------------
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 21:56
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Rill,

Honestly, I can't think of an entertaining or informative approach to commentary on this tourney.  In many respects, this tourney is similar to the critter-killing tourney (#2) and I was stumped as to how to comment in an entertaining and informative manner on that one, too.   We can all see the daily standings for the top 10 of each group.  And essentially, this is a very passive tourney - set out an army and wait for it to get hit.  Replenish the army with troops when it is nearly depleted.

There might be some exciting developments if players start smashing competitors' armies - but only the 2 players involved would know that so they would need to report that to us.  However, except for the top 10, no one knows who to smash in their own league - say if #20 wants to slow down #19 - #20 doesn't know who #19 is so there is nothing to be done except wait for the zombie slot machine to generate a hit for #20.

Best of luck, Rill.

Ryelle could scout the rift daily to report goings-on there, but I don't know if that would be appreciated by people who are parked on the Rift.  (Including, for while she holds out, Ryelle.)  Anyone have thoughts?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 22:06
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

I can't think of a good strategy that requires being online more than twice a day.

Really?  I can think of several.  I doubt that this tournament will hold my interest long enough to do more than try them out, though.  I prefer playing as a team and would be far more interested if there were alliance scores as well as individual ones.  But that's already been done in previous tourneys, so maybe everyone is tired of that.

Posted By: bow locks
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 22:08
this isnt a clickfest - its a camp fest.

However.

If we started ganging up on the commanders high up on the leader board and attacking their camps to kill the commanders............................

Might get interesting.........

Also, if we had to fight for stones (as in if there were a lot less................)  but not so few that big alliances could monopolise them......

and if there was significant risk to balance - eg skellies getting fed up with camps and sending significant forces to home towns................ (this is hinted at already)

lets hope the devs have some tricks up their sleeves to keep us on our toes.

Happy Christmas all

Bow

NB, dont take the above as too critical, devs, I'm loving the new tourney!!!!  Cheers!

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 22:46
You could also just send one of your other commanders to go occupy a friendly (NAP or Confederation) member's stones. You would then be stealing half of opponents XP from him, without damaging his troops. This wouldn't help out the commander you sent, but would only hurt the commander who was already parked there. 

It is also likely that within a week or two the armies will be of such a size that it will be wise to park your troops at a stone near enough so that you can replenish the troops after every night. This makes stone choosing more important, and allows you to interfere with your competition. 

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 23:04
There seems a clear increase in Zombie army size already.

It may well be a case that commanders are not safe to be left out all night long.

Posted By: Borealis
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 00:54
It probably depends on the size of the army occupying a stone square.  It seems their army size isn't growing so fast that overnight they could destroy an army of decent size.    We'll see.  Good luck to all.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 00:55
It seems to me that increase in zombie size is related to army size. 

(Real) Example:
City 1: 1.6k T2 spears, 1k Cav, 102 undead soldiers
City 2: 1k T2 spears, 126 undead soldiers
City 3: 600 T2 spears defending, 42 undead soldiers

Hypothesis:
The undead army will grow at the "maximum growth rate", up to a point at which algorithm deems the defending army too small handle, at which point it will decrease undead army size and growth rate accordingly.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 00:56
I've been hearing reports of upwards of 120 troops.  That's 3 times the size they were yesterday.

People! Stop fighting these things! They're clearly making more undead from the bodies of our slain troops!

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 01:13
But that's impossible! We burn the corpses and bury the ashes at the battle site, whereas these skeletons rise elsewhere and make their way to the stones.

What we need...what we need is neverending light!

Posted By: Cerridwyn
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 03:04
One of my armies, Cerdwyn's, was hit with a force almost as big as she was but only once.
Cerridwyn's army has been hit 4 times, by zombies and skeletons

Both cities are about the same size, Cerridwyn's army was bigger.

We need a way to 'reinforce' as a command

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 03:06

I've been hearing reports of upwards of 120 troops.  That's 3 times the size they were yesterday.

People! Stop fighting these things! They're clearly making more undead from the bodies of our slain troops!

Troops:Skeletal Warriors Skeletal Warriors660
Troops:Ribbed Cadavers Ribbed Cadavers660
Troops:Reanimated Bonesmen Reanimated Bonesmen1051050

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Posted By: Nilock
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 07:57
Burn their rotting corpses! then use the bones for Charcoal! what you dont burn, you grind into powder or give them to your dogs! That should keep'em down.

Posted By: Southern Dwarf
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 08:38
Nah, I use the bones to dabble in necromancy myself. What we don't know we do not understand. I wish to invade the Underworld with skeletons myself one day.

-------------
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.

Posted By: Prometheuz
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 11:29
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

If undead numbers don't increase alot then I agree with TD - it will be an activity test like tourny #2.

I think I read that undead strength will increase... question will be to what extent.

Mwahaahaa !

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 13:32
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

The fact that we can--indeed must--sit and wait for them to come to us is a huge difference from the click-fest of the previous tournament.  I can't think of a good strategy that requires being online more than twice a day.

I too think this is awesome. There is a luck factor, and there is strategy too. And there is something that even a small player can hope to achieve. 

Also the numbers are likely to increase - maybe along with the lunar cycle. (I suspect GM Luna could be behind this!)

"We are extremely concerned that for the forthcoming entire lunar cycle the dead will continue to rise in ever-increasing numbers and powers, gather in groups, and attempt to transit to this forbidden realm."

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 13:36
The numbers are small now maybe because the moon is small - or maybe they are just warming up for the fun. These cadavers are crazy! Confused

Attackers:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Troops:Skeletal Warriors Skeletal Warriors330
Troops:Ribbed Cadavers Ribbed Cadavers330
Troops:Reanimated Bonesmen Reanimated Bonesmen1021020

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 17:36
There seems to be a relationship between the xp of my commanders and how many skeletons they attract?????

I expect this is just a coincidence, but my least experienced commanders seem to get hit more often and by larger groups.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 18:22
I actually didn't make that connection until now. I had a level 2 commander that used to have the most exp out of all of them (until he was killed). 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 20:25
Blast it. I've been using my lvl 30 commander, when I have a Lvl 19 sitting idle... still, at least I read this BEFORE I started using my Lvl 57 :D

Posted By: Faldrin
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 20:29
My commander that has been getting most exp as for now is a level 75. I really doubt the level of the commander has anything to do with how many skeletons are sent towards some activated stones.

-------------

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 21:10
small attacks so far tonight

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 22:23
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

small attacks so far tonight

So small for me that they have been none so far.  LOL

I've decided to play just 1 Cmdr in the tourney in order to concentrate my resources on my best shot.

I was gonna play 2 Cmdrs from 2 cities.  But I forgot about NPC respawn at 18:00 and wasted the 2nd army on a Legion of Giant Snakes.  Embarrassed

So it's just the 1 Cmdr now.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 23:45
Haven't had over 30 undead in an army yet tonight, looks like they are in short supply or something.

Obviously we haven't done a good enough job killing npc's and pc's for enough corpses to be reanimated.

Or are they just lulling us into a false sense of security.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 23:47
They are however organised differently, none of those basic infantry type skellies

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 01:00
The underworld should be ashamed of tonight's turnout.

-------------
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 01:17
Their creator must be turning in his grave.

Posted By: tallica
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 03:37
At least I'm not the only one disappointed with the numbers, I was afraid I would fall way behind. Yesterday I picked up about 400 points, today I'm only at 50 or so (I think less). Good news is: one of my 2 spots are still glowing, so the night's not over (I hope!).

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 04:21
Originally posted by Faldrin Faldrin wrote:

My commander that has been getting most exp as for now is a level 75. I really doubt the level of the commander has anything to do with how many skeletons are sent towards some activated stones.

Not sure...of all my commanders, i put my top one, level 6, out there and he seems to be doing ok...

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 06:26
Its like waiting for the fish to bite.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 06:51
I think the numbers will keep decreasing till saturday (newmoon). After that they will start increasing till next fullmoon. 

that is based on some passing reference in the description, could be totally wrong.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 06:58
I was expecting less numbers (few and several) yesterday (and lulling in a false sense of security as darkwords said) when a dude accidentally sent his cavalry brigade and made pastry out of my pikemen. Now I am thinking of recalling my army everyday after their night duty.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 07:01
We had a member who had the exact same thing happen to him...All I've taken out so far is a bunch of newbies caravans. It's costing me a fortune in horses too because I'm worried they're play the "Big bad Brids killed my caravans! Halp!" card in GC so I've been shipping out 100 to each of them...

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 07:56
Awww, Brids, that's so sweet.  I think 5 horses and 50 gold should be enough Wink  Otherwise the newbs will be scouting for your armies just to send their caravans to get slaughtered.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 13:18
And I can't see anyone listening to them in the middle of this tourney...

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 19:22
I've had a few vans killed at standing stones and I'm not upset.  Also, some of RES have inadvertently killed others' vans at standing stones.

In the tourney, the standing stones are a dangerous place for vans.  It's nice to replace the lost vans to newbies, but I think no one is going to yell "big bad brids!" over accidental van killing while playing the tourney.  I don't see a need for extra payments over the replacement cost of destroyed vans.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 21:09
Looks like they are all infantry tonight.

Posted By: Sovereign
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 21:59
Gotta say, so far this tourney really blows.  On my main commander, had one whole tiny attack yesterday and and none so far today.  Would have preferred something that involved team work or strategy or had more variables of some kind to it.  Heck, if you do win, it can be a hollow victory since everyone can say it was just luck due to the obscene randomness of it.  I think it should have scaled based on league or something, since that too is based on size.  So, fingers crossed that this gets better.  Might even be the last straw for more vets that were waiting on over due content, if it fails in such an epic manner.  Just saying.  I am glad something is happening but expected more after waiting so long.

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

"Dreams are the inspiration for the creation of man-made miracles"

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 22:06
I wouldn't say it blows, armies were a bit small last night, but it is a good try at something different.

Something that does not simply involve piling troops into a square and holding it.

It also lets the devs test the combat for AI.  And I am VERY HAPPY to see that happening.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 22:34
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

I wouldn't say it blows, armies were a bit small last night, but it is a good try at something different.

Something that does not simply involve piling troops into a square and holding it.

It also lets the devs test the combat for AI.  And I am VERY HAPPY to see that happening.

Anything is better than nothing but in regards to your comment of piling troops into a square and holding it....Ummm, almost exactly what we are doing but with less action.

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

Posted By: Capricorne
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 22:38
The armies were small but it's supposed to grow so what's the problem? Really, if it just stay at +-100 units like 2 days ago most of league G, F and maybe E could be wipped out right now. Instead of that they still have fun and they'll try to last as long as they can... As us all :D 

Will we see Legions coming in the last days of the tournament? We'll see...

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 22:45
Originally posted by Capricorne Capricorne wrote:

The armies were small but it's supposed to grow so what's the problem? Really, if it just stay at +-100 units like 2 days ago most of league G, F and maybe E could be wipped out right now. Instead of that they still have fun and they'll try to last as long as they can... As us all :D 

Will we see Legions coming in the last days of the tournament? We'll see...

Yes, I agree with that part but as I suggested and so I thought might have been one of the purposes of the leagues besides fairness, that it might scale based on the size of the player.  I will wait like everyone else but you cannot tell me you have just been thrilled or over joyed so far.  Merely my opinion on it.  How impressed and how much fun do you think it is when you have thousands of troops siting day after day on one square to have on assault of 3 skellies during a 24 hour period?  Seriously....

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 23:00
A set of standing stones I activated has gone innactive after a couple of attacks hit.

Is this normal???

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 23:32
It is normal.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 00:55
I have to admit, this isn't my style of tourney either, I like things that involve a bit more strategy.  But it is encouraging to see movement toward faction AI, and if this tournament is at least partly a way of ironing out all the possible glitches, then I guess that's not such a bad thing.

Maybe it would be cool if we could get a rundown of the total number of skelly kills per night?  Or something like that?  It would help people feel engaged and realize that they are not falling behind (or perhaps they are).

Maybe they are gonna unleash the hordes on Christmas Eve or something.  Not sure if I WANT to see legions of skellies ...  some people say I worry too much.

Ermm

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 02:11
Let's make note of the whiners here. Odds are they will be the same ones who complain later on that they're armies are being wiped out. As to the supposed long line of "veterans" who are on the verge of leaving if they don't get they're instant gratification fast enough-- some folks have said this since the beginning of the game. As someone who is passionate about this game, do me a favor and keep your quitting thoughts to yourself. Either you want to stay, in which case, be constructive, or you don't, in which case, leave without pitching an ego fit and wishing for everyone to ask you to not leave. I know most of the long term vets and they are absolutely NOT leaving. Quite the opposite. They are excited about all the changes that are happening in Illy. And this tourney is a new style. Maybe you don't like it. Fine. I didn't like the grind fest of the animal parts one, but didn't whine about it. And if you think one doesn't have any possible tactics involved in it, then you just have a lack of imagination.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 02:36
Kumo, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think saying that this particular tournament style is not one's favorite is whining or out of line.  Perhaps people will change their minds as the tournament goes on.  Perhaps they won't.  Either way, it is useful feedback to the developers, keeping in mind that those who are not enjoying something might be more likely to say something about it than those who are really digging it.

Digging the skeletons ... see what I did there?

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 03:21
I'm not really a fan of this tourney either. I still stand by the first tournament in terms of being the most fun. While it was very alliance focused and left out individuals and smaller alliances (mCrow had...20? members at the time) it was still a blast even when we didn't win. I think the ones that focus on teamwork and strategy are probably going to be the most fun, even if it does alienate some people. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 03:31
For a lot of us who were not around for previous tournaments and who are not raiders and fighters by nature, it is a great learning experience.

Many moons ago, I played a game on a very old fashioned BBS that had arenas where you could go to gain exp in fighting and it scaled by level and it was a great way to learn.

I could very much see something that could be considered a different type of quest, i.e., graveyards in an area that you go to and it knows where you came from, and what level your commander is and how many troops you have and gives you a test of mettle that in addition to experience gives you other rewards if you can hold it for a specific period of time.

But who knows what evil lurks in any dev's mind.

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 03:33
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

I'm not really a fan of this tourney either. I still stand by the first tournament in terms of being the most fun. While it was very alliance focused and left out individuals and smaller alliances (mCrow had...20? members at the time) it was still a blast even when we didn't win. I think the ones that focus on teamwork and strategy are probably going to be the most fun, even if it does alienate some people. 

I personally love those the best too, Brids...

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 08:24
I have been playing this game for longer than most people here, despite my size, and literally days after I started playing in July the Devs told us that there was going to be Factions, ships, Trade v2.... You all know what I'm talking about. But d'you know what? They said it was going to be out in a couple of months. It's now a year later, more, and I still haven't had these factions. I don't care.
Since then, I have been waiting for the factions. I've gone briefly MIA, some times getting on once a day, sometimes even more. Lots of things kept me playing- the features at the present. People I met in-game. But possibly more than anything else, was the promise of the factions. I love the idea of the Factions, they're the sort of things I love in games. A rogue element, which you can control and use to your own ends. I love that! Pathfinding, toll charging, ships- I love that! I want it now! And I'm prepared to wait for such things.

This tournament is the closest thing I've experienced so far in my time in Illy that comes closest to being the factions. So what if this tournament maybe isn't the best so far- we're only three days in! And if I finally decided that I was going to stop playing, stop waiting for the factions, not because I was in an alliance which got destroyed by inactivity and a war, not because I decided I didn't like the game (which I haven't), not because I decided I couldn't be bothered to wait much longer, but because I didn't like the tourney quite as much as the others. Quite frankly there would be only one word which described me. PATHETIC.
Get a grip!

Anyway, rant over. That's a little bit off topic, and Luna will probably remove it. But at least I've spoken my mind.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 10:48
At least tourny V2 was a test of 'something'... even if it was just grinding.

So far the league tables seem to be almost completely random - just depending on how many skellies deign to show at a square on a particular night.

Although as I said previously - the real test of this tourny is going to happen IF the undead armies get big enough... seems we were back up to numbers in the +100s last night.

Noticed a great number of people jumping up 500 exp points or more infact.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 17:37
1King Sigurd of Illyria [DEVS]Council Of Illyrianew comm 12429

No fair! =P

Edit: Am I the only one who wants to find his army and attack him? XD

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 17:51
Embarrassed  Oopsie.  Was testing something, and have now bowed out from the tournie XD

Sorry.

SC

Posted By: GnuTri
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 18:05
Just testing the feeling of being number one Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 18:17
Twas an honor just to be on the same list as King Sigurd, if only for a moment ... in spite of the fact he was beating the pants off of me.

Posted By: shadow
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 20:36
Was wondering if you were trying to get a shirt SC Tongue

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 20:59
Undead are using magic now:

Cavalry comes into its own when able to strike hostile forces at will, and from unexpected directions - and nowhere is this more feasible than on open plains. Lightly armoured spear units, however, prefer terrain where there's some cover available.

Fighting defensively on open plains, cavalry draws strength from the ability to form and reform their lines of engagement depending on the direction of battle, and it is here where cavalry excels.

An attempt by the attackers to cast magic was thwarted by your quick-thinking troops, who successfully interrupted the hostile spell. Your troops' innate resistance to magic caused the spell to fizzle!

Attackers:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Troops:Shalangs Shalangs1231230
Troops:Khraglangs Khraglangs72720

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 21:04
Seriously, people aren't enjoying this Tourny? Cerridwyn's post above is enough to keep the tongues wagging for a while, Undead with magic, love it! Come and get me Undead.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 21:16
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Let's make note of the whiners here. Odds are they will be the same ones who complain later on that they're armies are being wiped out. As to the supposed long line of "veterans" who are on the verge of leaving if they don't get they're instant gratification fast enough-- some folks have said this since the beginning of the game. As someone who is passionate about this game, do me a favor and keep your quitting thoughts to yourself. Either you want to stay, in which case, be constructive, or you don't, in which case, leave without pitching an ego fit and wishing for everyone to ask you to not leave. I know most of the long term vets and they are absolutely NOT leaving. Quite the opposite. They are excited about all the changes that are happening in Illy. And this tourney is a new style. Maybe you don't like it. Fine. I didn't like the grind fest of the animal parts one, but didn't whine about it. And if you think one doesn't have any possible tactics involved in it, then you just have a lack of imagination.

Hostility much?  Perhaps you have not had many of your friends leave, and not over lack of instant gratification good sir, but these were players who had played since Illy began and simply were tired of building, and not having the promised content.  Not instant gratification at all but after waiting for a very long time.  I miss them, and so yes, I will vocalize my opinion.  But I think you misjudge the intent a bit.  Perhaps I am hoping to bring an issue, one in which you must be oblivious too, but I do not know how that is possible, to light.  Have you not seen how many people have left?  People who have played for a very long time.  Much longer than myself to be sure.  How is this a good thing?  Or perhaps you are merely one of many who feel the need to make show for the devs despite anything else going on.  I do not know you well enough to say, but I see it a lot.  And my biggest issue both in game and in life is too many people will not stand up ask for better or say what is wrong.  Too many people just go with the flow because they just get too used to things not going as they should, and simply stop trying.  But I certainly would not tell you to shut up and stay quiet or leave.  But I am a bit offended to be lumped in as a whiner.  Especially considering how long I have bit my tongue.  Hopefully if you even have an ounce of maturity and itelligence, you will actually see my point for what it is.

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 21:18
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

I personally love those the best too, Brids...

Funny since that was also one of my points...

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 21:22
Originally posted by Nokigon Nokigon wrote:

I have been playing this game for longer than most people here, despite my size, and literally days after I started playing in July the Devs told us that there was going to be Factions, ships, Trade v2.... You all know what I'm talking about. But d'you know what? They said it was going to be out in a couple of months. It's now a year later, more, and I still haven't had these factions. I don't care.
Since then, I have been waiting for the factions. I've gone briefly MIA, some times getting on once a day, sometimes even more. Lots of things kept me playing- the features at the present. People I met in-game. But possibly more than anything else, was the promise of the factions. I love the idea of the Factions, they're the sort of things I love in games. A rogue element, which you can control and use to your own ends. I love that! Pathfinding, toll charging, ships- I love that! I want it now! And I'm prepared to wait for such things.

This tournament is the closest thing I've experienced so far in my time in Illy that comes closest to being the factions. So what if this tournament maybe isn't the best so far- we're only three days in! And if I finally decided that I was going to stop playing, stop waiting for the factions, not because I was in an alliance which got destroyed by inactivity and a war, not because I decided I didn't like the game (which I haven't), not because I decided I couldn't be bothered to wait much longer, but because I didn't like the tourney quite as much as the others. Quite frankly there would be only one word which described me. PATHETIC.
Get a grip!

Anyway, rant over. That's a little bit off topic, and Luna will probably remove it. But at least I've spoken my mind.

I like your rant Nok.  Of course my point wasn't merely about the tourney but I can agree with most of what you say.  But as I put in another post, I do not want to see any more of my friends leave the game.  Call me sentimental if you like but I also understand their reasoning. 

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 21:36
And for those who either cannot read or apparently have selective reading ability, I did also say that I was glad something was happening and that I did hope that it got better as it went along.  Among other things as well.  Shame how some people can be so hateful and only see maybe one line of text in a whole paragraph.  I guess that too is to be expected.  So, just bring on the animosity and the antagonism then.  LOL   Heaven forbid someone have a differing opinion and not be slammed after, much less an attempt to turn it personal.

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 00:17
My armies have been destroyed more than once and I'm not whining, just rebuilding as fast as I can and sending them out again the next day.

Will I win, oh, no way. Will I learn from it, absolutely.

Browser games are notoriously slow paced. Even those with combat, it's not like playing an FPS. If you want to do that, go BUY one and play it.

Games such as Illy are as much what YOU put in it as what the Devs put in it. I salute Illy's Devs for:
   Making continuous updates to improve the game.
   Being around and talking to people on a regular basis
   And listening.

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 00:54
Regards the quality of the tournament design.

Though generally agreed this 'format' is not optimal, if we all understand that the tournament serves the secondary (primary?) additional purpose of AI development and hence future gameplay quality then perhaps this perspective will satisfy those disappointed.

To the Devs though: In gameplay development be aware: PvP will always be the superior gameplay style, AI will always be the poorer substitute.

-------------
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 09:28

Cavalry comes into its own when able to strike hostile forces at will, and from unexpected directions - and nowhere is this more feasible than on open plains. Lightly armoured spear units, however, prefer terrain where there's some cover available.

Fighting defensively on open plains, cavalry draws strength from the ability to form and reform their lines of engagement depending on the direction of battle, and it is here where cavalry excels.

Khraglang attempts to cast Infectious Bloodspray. This twisted magic has claimed the souls of 8 of the once-living troops at this location, and they have risen again as Khraglangs, attacking immediately!

So the Khraglang 'converts' a few of our soldiers and have them fight against us?

There were 301 khraglangs who converted 8 of my units (out of a few thousands) even before they could attack. What if I had only 8 units there? :O would the khraglangs have converted them and gone back with more numbers than they set out with? :O

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:04
Well, in a small army that got a bit battered Ander the Khraglangs converted just 3, but in my biggest army they converted 7, I think.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:15
Originally posted by Sovereign Sovereign wrote:

Originally posted by Nokigon Nokigon wrote:

Get a grip!

I like your rant Nok.  Of course my point wasn't merely about the tourney but I can agree with most of what you say.  But as I put in another post, I do not want to see any more of my friends leave the game.  Call me sentimental if you like but I also understand their reasoning. 

There, that makes more sense. I can understand why people can get frustrated, since I am aware that you've been playing even longer than I have. But I do firmly believe that this is the closest that we've gotten  to Factions since August 2010, and as I said above I think that not many people would leave the game over a tournament, which is already getting more interesting- 300+ troops yesterday.

Posted By: Raritor
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by Ander Ander wrote:

Khraglang attempts to cast Infectious Bloodspray. This twisted magic has claimed the souls of 8 of the once-living troops at this location, and they have risen again as Khraglangs, attacking immediately!

So the Khraglang 'converts' a few of our soldiers and have them fight against us?

Seems the "Force of Will" will be finally useful then.

Posted By: John Louis
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 11:33
Hello everyone, and first and foremost Merry Christmas.

I start this post, I do not usually bother writing here, by advising all Illy players that other Illy players play the game too. I also take this opportunity to point out that mature humans, elves, dwarves and even Orcs MUST respect democratic principles - everyone is entitled to their opinions, and everyone MUST have their opinions respected. This does not mean you have to agree with others, but you MUST respect the fact that people are individuals and therefore everyone has their own thoughts...what kind of world would this be if we all thought exactly the same...pointless and boring (plus, we would all be occupying the same standing stones and the undead would be winning).
Secondly...I am in the same alliance as Sovereign I admit, but the criticisms he is getting I can only accept if they are coming from little children who do not know any better. Please, lets focus on the game and not personal insults.
WE ALL LOVE THIS GAME and all want to see it get better (yes, it is already good, but it can and must improve).
The only way for the game to improve is with player feedback, which is what this forum is for (more or less).
The Tourney is evolving and perhaps the criticisms labelled against it in the early days will be shown to be unjustified...or maybe not, we just have to wait and see.
Finally, we all want the factions etc to go live, if the Tourney is a way to prepare for this, that's good - but we are assuming this and I don't think we should assume anything. In any event, a Tourney is not supposed to be about testing bugs...it is to play the game. However, if testing bugs is going to be part of the Tourney then the Dev's should make this clearer (then perhaps they will be criticised less...or players will be more sympathetic).
What is not fair is that many Vets have left because they have been waiting for over a year for the promised features to go live, but all in vain. Many of my friends have left due to this and therefore I also resent the Dev's delays. This is a criticism, yes, but it is NOT unfair.
I'm still here, like Sovereign, cause I enjoy the game. But, there is a lot of stuff we have been waiting for...even developed strategies: i.e. build cities near rivers etc for ship building etc...all this has actually done is restricted the sovereignty squares I can claim (as no sov squares exist on water, at least thus far) and still nothing on shipbuilding. I could say a lot more, but I also wait patiently just in case what has been promised will soon be implemented - 1 year later and I am still waiting. Other players are not as patient as me.
I REITERATE, I really enjoy this game too, but I have my opinions which I will air for all to hear when I feel like it.
Last time I checked Illy was not Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany and so I am perfectly entitled to say whatever I want (as is anyone else) so long as it is done respectfully.
That is all that I wish to say for now...

Posted By: Southern Dwarf
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 11:40
Godwin's Law :(

Anyway, my armies proved to be too small for my league which is only natural since there was never any reason for a large army. I acknowledge that this is my fault alone and wish all the other competitors better luck because I will never be able to compete reasonable further. One rebuild means that you are out of the competition :)

-------------
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 13:39
Originally posted by Southern Dwarf Southern Dwarf wrote:

Anyway, my armies proved to be too small for my league which is only natural since there was never any reason for a large army.

There is now mate Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net