Print Page | Close Window

01APR11 - Chat Block

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1716
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 08:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 01APR11 - Chat Block
Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Subject: 01APR11 - Chat Block
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 17:59
Hi All,

No, not an April Fool.

As promised for a mighty long time you now have the option to choose whose chat posts you see (or not), and UIv2 has enabled this to happen.

To block a player (ie disregard and do not display his chat posts)

• Click on the player's name, and choose Block in Chat
  • Please note that this will take you from your current page to the Chat Channels page to confirm the block by showing you your current block list, so if you're in the middle of writing a long ingame mail, don't block a player because (depending on your browser) you may lose the long email you were in the middle of writing.

To Unblock a player (or see who you have blocked)
  • Open the Chat Channels page (satellite button from Mail icon up top)
  • On the list of Blocked Players, find the player who you wish to unblock, and click "unblock"
  • You will now see new posts from that player. You can also see older posts that you missed by refreshing your browser.
Please be aware of the following things:
  • Blocking a player blocks them in both Global Chat as well as Alliance Chat.
  • Blocking a player does not stop them from sending you ingame mails.
  • Blocking a player does not block you from seeing their posts on the forums (ingame or this forum).
  • Players posts are only blocked in UIv2; UIv1 has no awareness of chat block.
  • Blocking a player does not notify the player or Global chat that they have been blocked.

Regards,

TC

Replies:
Posted By: Attila the Hun
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 18:11
Global is all mine!! 

-------------
It's just a game. :)

Posted By: scottfitz
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 18:13
It is safe to go back in the water!

Posted By: G0DsDestroyer
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 18:25
You should make it so we know when we get blocked, i wanna see how many i can getBig smile

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Posted By: surferdude
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 18:37
What will be the major cause for war now?

Posted By: Lionz Heartz
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 19:30
Great feature and I hope to see this on the forums also? What will be the ETA for a block feature on the forums?

-------------
HELLS COMING WITH ME YOU HEAR, HELLS COMING WITH ME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4&feature=related

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 19:36
YEAH! Block feature on the forums will solve ALL our problems!

Posted By: Selissa
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 19:56
Yay, finally! Would have been really useful back then LH was in Curse! ^^

-------------
Selissa
Proud member of Curse of the Wolves

I'm an angel, honest! The horns are just there to keep the halo straight!

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 20:02
Originally posted by Lionz Heartz Lionz Heartz wrote:

Great feature and I hope to see this on the forums also? What will be the ETA for a block feature on the forums?

Answered already elsewhere, but to repeat... It's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

The forums are third-party written and hosted, and - whilst we can customise the software if we wish - we're really not interested in doing that.  Not only does it mean that upgrades/changes are very cumbersome, it also takes dev time away from game improvements.

Our internal dev team is concentrating on making the game itself better rather than on customising external forum software. 

tbh I believe most of the forum troll issues can be dealt with in terms of policy and (thence) enforcement rather than "new software" or software rewrites. 

At the moment our forum receives an average of 30 posts a day from an average of 20 different posters.  If that pitifully small volume can't be dealt with sensibly without software rewrites then we're doing it wrong to begin with - and so...  I think we probably are doing it wrong, and we need to change it.

And by "it" I mean purely and simply writing policies for each forum regarding trolls, acceptable language and behaviour etc, and then enforcing these policies to ensure the signal to noise ratio doesn't deteriorate further than it has currently. 

What is suitable for the Bitter Sea forum is different to what is suitable for the Announcements forum.

MOD Strategos is currently coming up with a list of forum policies that deal with various issues from trolling to posting in various forums, and as soon as these are agreed internally then we'll make them public and begin enforcement of them.

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Lionz Heartz
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 20:13
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Answered already elsewhere, but to repeat... It's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.The forums are third-party written and hosted, and - whilst we can customise the software if we wish - we're really not interested in doing that.  Not only does it mean that upgrades/changes are very cumbersome, it also takes dev time away from game improvements.Our internal dev team is concentrating on making the game itself better rather than on customising external forum software.  tbh I believe most of the forum troll issues can be dealt with in terms of policy and (thence) enforcement rather than "new software" or software rewrites.  At the moment our forum receives an average of 30 posts a day from an average of 20 different posters.  If that pitifully small volume can't be dealt with sensibly without software rewrites then we're doing it wrong to begin with - and so...  I think we probably are doing it wrong, and we need to change it. And by "it" I mean purely and simply writing policies for each forum regarding trolls, acceptable language and behaviour etc, and then enforcing these policies to ensure the signal to noise ratio doesn't deteriorate further than it has currently.  What is suitable for the Bitter Sea forum is different to what is suitable for the Announcements forum.MOD Strategos is currently coming up with a list of forum policies that deal with various issues from trolling to posting in various forums, and as soon as these are agreed internally then we'll make them public and begin enforcement of them.Regards,SC

I hope the forums rules will not be like... If an H? player disagrees with any of your posts, that makes you a troll and you are given a warning.

-------------
HELLS COMING WITH ME YOU HEAR, HELLS COMING WITH ME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4&feature=related

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 20:44

I hope the forums rules will not be like... If an H? player disagrees with any of your posts, that makes you a troll and you are given a warning.
That would be silly...

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 23:54

/me applauds LH for ironically encapsulating everything I just said about trolling

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Mr Andersson
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 00:46

... If that pitifully small volume can't be dealt with sensibly without software rewrites then we're doing it wrong to begin with - and so...  I think we probably are doing it wrong, and we need to change it. 

Couldn't agree more!

... What is suitable for the Bitter Sea forum is different to what is suitable for the Announcements forum. .... 

Amen to that! But at the same time the gray areas are "wide" and the boundaries are not easy neither to define nor to uphold (a slippery slope in all directions). I for one don't envy the one having to draw the line. I prefer an as unrestricted "dialogue" as possible as we all can choose what to ignore, how to respond and at many time also how to react ... "If you don't like the troll, don't feed it" my grand mother used to say... well no she didn't but she might as well have.

-------------
MrA

Posted By: Smoking GNU
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 10:09
YAY for the blocking!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net