Print Page | Close Window

01MAR11 - Construction Time Changes

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1588
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 06:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 01MAR11 - Construction Time Changes
Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Subject: 01MAR11 - Construction Time Changes
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 11:51
Hi All,

We've made some changes to a variety of things especially designed to make the new player experience more entertaining than it has been.

To explain what we mean, for example:

It's very possible to follow the tutorial and almost immediately hit the point where King Sigurd sends you caravans bearing goods.  Due to the expanding distance in the game the caravans are going to take an hour and a half to get to you; during which time you cannot progress in the tutorial.  The tutorial suggests that - if you don't want to wait for the caravans to arrive, "why don't you build a horse of your own in the paddock?"  

At this point the new player discovers that upgrading his paddock to Level 1 will take 40 minutes on its own, and then he has to produce a horse as well.  And, frankly, he might as well just wait for the caravan to arrive.

So we've made changes.

These changes are global changes and affect everyone; and those of you settling new cities will also benefit from them.

The main change is that Construction Times (NB that's TIME, not COST) has been lowered for the lower level buildings of all types.

So, completing low level buildings is now faster than it was before.  Higher level building times remain largely the same (although we have taken this opportunity to round building times to a more sensible value than eg 12H 51M 37S); and beyond about level 6 or 7 buildings you won't notice much of a difference.

To illustrate the construction time differences  before and after this change, here are some pretty pretties.

The total change in the overall time to construct a building is very small.

For example, to take a Lumberjack from L1 to L20 used to take 11 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes and 54 seconds.  It now takes 11 days, 4 hours and 55 minutes; and that extra time saved is simply weighted up front to make new players have slightly more fun, faster.

We have also taken this opportunity to change some of the research times for the very basic skills needed ingame.  Timekeeping, Haggling, Militia, Spearmaking, Tanning, Arcana & Negotiation have all been made faster to research to help get new players on their feet quicker.

The costs for these things (buildings and research) remains the same as it was.

Regards,

GM Stormcrow

Replies:
Posted By: King EAM
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 12:11
 Good idea Clap
Im sure it will keep new players interestd more.

-------------
"It's hard to know until you're a Crow"

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 12:28
King Sigurd's welcome caravans have also received further spellcasting buffs from the Archmage Faer Smyss at Tempus in Perrigor - and now move themselves to the furthest flung new player settlements on the map at the equivalent of a faintly hair-raising 480 squares per hour.

SC

Posted By: G0DsDestroyer
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 13:46
How much would one have to pay in upkeep for one of those vans?LOL
only 3 gold p/h like the rest right?Big smile

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Posted By: Attila the Hun
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 13:57
so thats why my warehouse takes so few time.. i thought it was jackpot of all buildings..

-------------
It's just a game. :)

Posted By: Raritor
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 14:46
Good idea, but now you mention this, maybe new players should start with paddock level 1, this way they can start to build things quicker, and so, getting interested in the game.

Another thing, how much does it cost to hire Archmage Faer Smyss for a couple of days? Maybe i'd like to discuss some spell castings with him  LOL

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 17:12
So the way I read that is everybody gets a free horse?

Please send Lawn Horse to Munich.

Thank you.

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 18:24
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

King Sigurd's welcome caravans have also received further spellcasting buffs from the Archmage Faer Smyss at Tempus in Perrigor - and now move themselves to the furthest flung new player settlements on the map at the equivalent of a faintly hair-raising 480 squares per hour.

SC

I have GOT to get my hands on 40 of those...!!!

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 20:24
Great work there...... windypigeon. LOL

Posted By: Attila the Hun
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 20:27
please excuse LOJ having reading my response to Sc's post to Merlins "hello" topic has rendered him with the funnies.

-------------
It's just a game. :)

Posted By: Alimi
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:38
WOOHOO!!! *throws confetti*

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 12:08
Originally posted by Raritor Raritor wrote:

Good idea, but now you mention this, maybe new players should start with paddock level 1, this way they can start to build things quicker, and so, getting interested in the game.

Another thing, how much does it cost to hire Archmage Faer Smyss for a couple of days? Maybe i'd like to discuss some spell castings with him  LOL

Faer Smyss is a "her" not a "him", and is terribly insulted by your mistake Wink

I quite like the idea of Paddock L1, possibly also Common Ground L1 for New Players by default.  Will discuss further internally.

Posted By: Raritor
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 08:55
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Faer Smyss is a "her" not a "him", and is terribly insulted by your mistake Wink

My true apologies to Lady Smyss

Posted By: bow locks
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 17:33
what sort of wheels and bearings does that thing have? let alone the blinking carthorse.

Posted By: lokifeyson
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 22:14
WOW, it would probably be great for new players to be able to not have to choose what buildings they want, since they would already have them....

not like it really matters anyway anymore with common ground and paddock only being 4 or 5min builds

I remember having to wait and wait and wait and wait some more

-------------

Posted By: Lord Loss
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 23:58
When you have a warehouse should you get rid of your storehouse??

-------------
Have a nice day :)

Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 00:27
The capacities of the storehouse and the warehouse are added together for a total of 767,508 with both at L20.    Don't forget to build your vault to protect those numbers from thieves.

-------------
I am a Machine.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net