Print Page | Close Window

King's Tourney #1

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Tournament I - Hold the Flags!
Forum Description: 1st Tournament - Details, progress, reports & awards
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1404
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 19:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King's Tourney #1
Posted By: The_Dude
Subject: King's Tourney #1
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 20:54
I thought a separate thread for Tourney #1 would be appropriate for The Caravanserai.

This is a place for Taunting, Bragging, and general discussion of strategies and happenings during Tourney #1.

I think this will be great fun for all of Illy!Clap

Replies:
Posted By: some random guy
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:04
Yo' mammas so dumb she tripped over a cordless phone!!

-------------
Soon, very soon, my name will become synonymous with chicken alfredo.... mmm.... chicken alfredo....

Posted By: King EAM
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:09
Yo' Mamas so stupid it took her 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.

Most of my Yo' Mama jokes are to bad to be put on here Wink

-------------
"It's hard to know until you're a Crow"

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:09
This tourney gave me a reason to study the Strategic Map to see where the various alliances are located.  This was very enlightening as so many alliances have radically relocated during the Great City Move.   My mental picture of the lay of the land was way out of date!

Since I'm a solo +1 alliance, there's not a realistic probability that my alliance could win any of the flag sites.  Though we might try for grins.  :)  So that means that I have time on my hands to think how others might play the tourney.  So all of the following are strictly my speculation and I have ZERO knowledge as to how anyone is actually planning on playing the tourney.

A lot of the relocations were toward the south.  Flag site 0|-500 should see a lot of action from several of the top alliances.

H? has -500|500 fairly central to a large number of its cities.  I suspect it will tough to keep H? from winning that site.

DB is in strong position for site 500|500.  But with the war with Cala, DB might not be a strong competitor in this tourney.

The various Crows alliances each have flags they could each make a play on.  But will they work together to try to get one of thier group the Big Prize for overall time across all 8?  I can see a strategy where 1 Crow alliance is the capture/hold (maybe for 2 or 3 aitses) and the other Crows set about smashing the sites being held by competitors to prevent a non-Crow from winning the overall prize.

The northern sites have the least competition ... in terms of being near large alliances.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:12
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

This tourney gave me a reason to study the Strategic Map to see where the various alliances are located.  This was very enlightening as so many alliances have radically relocated during the Great City Move.   My mental picture of the lay of the land was way out of date!

Since I'm a solo +1 alliance, there's not a realistic probability that my alliance could win any of the flag sites.  Though we might try for grins.  :)  So that means that I have time on my hands to think how others might play the tourney.  So all of the following are strictly my speculation and I have ZERO knowledge as to how anyone is actually planning on playing the tourney.

A lot of the relocations were toward the south.  Flag site 0|-500 should see a lot of action from several of the top alliances.

H? has -500|500 fairly central to a large number of its cities.  I suspect it will tough to keep H? from winning that site.

DB is in strong position for site 500|500.  But with the war with Cala, DB might not be a strong competitor in this tourney.

The various Crows alliances each have flags they could each make a play on.  But will they work together to try to get one of thier group the Big Prize for overall time across all 8?  I can see a strategy where 1 Crow alliance is the capture/hold (maybe for 2 or 3 aitses) and the other Crows set about smashing the sites being held by competitors to prevent a non-Crow from winning the overall prize.

The northern sites have the least competition ... in terms of being near large alliances.

No, we are playing fair. We are not working together on this however we might try to steer clear of each other we are not helping each other.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:20
Oh, I don't think my strategy idea was "unfair" at all.  I think it is a perfectly legal method to work the Crows in a coordinated manner.  However, I can also see how each Crow alliance would pick 1 or 2 sites for itself and see how the chips fall.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:46
Right now, the only flag with an occupying army is -500|-500.  My money says that is H?  :)

Posted By: Strategos
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 21:47
Just to clarify one point.

The developers do *not* penalize underhanded, creative or down right dirty tactics in any aspect of the game, provided it does not exploit a bug or violates the rules regarding third party software.

So while many tactics might not be very popular, any penalty for such behaviour would have to be given by other players, as non would be meeted out by the developers.

When we say sandbox, we're not kidding.

-------------
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 22:05
Well, I hope that everyone keeps the spirit of good sportsmanship in mind with the tournament.

Sort of "What happens in the tourney, stays in the tourney" approach.  I think it would be a shame if the tourney sparked actual city attacks amongst the alliances.

Everyone tap gloves, return to your corners, and wait for the starting bell!  :)

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 22:28
/me get's his diversionary siege armies ready...

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 22:37
lol

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 23:26

Did you mean -500, -500?

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 23:27

Right now, the only flag with an occupying army is -500|-500.  My money says that is H?  :)

No what would make you think that? ;)

I nominate The  Dude as our sportscaster for the tournanement!

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 23:30
LOL!

Yes, that first post was a typo - I meant -500|-500 (southwest) as being central to H?

Posted By: bartimeus
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 23:47
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

I nominate The  Dude as our sportscaster for the tournanement!

I suport the idea.

@ the dude; just claim that resistance against H? is futile and you'll get your (small) share of gold.

-------------
Bartimeus, your very best friend.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 23:48
Hmmm.

Hey GMs!  Please notice this!

I want to create sub-threads here...1 for each of the 8 flag sites.  I was going to ask the general public to scout the flag site nearest them and post the reports under the respective thread.   This is an idea Kumomoto had on Global Chat and I really like it.  It will give a global data feed on tourney, it will be public so even playing field, and it will be an Illy community effort.

So, GMs, it seems that I can not create sub-threads under this topic.  But I'd bet a real American nickle that y'all can do that.  Please.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

TD

Posted By: sityviper
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 17:46
i will try and claim the northeast as OotP's if you want it please try and diplomatically talk to me about it...

-------------
§.i.†.¥.V.‡.¶.€.® 3

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 17:47
and on a side note... gl all

-------------
§.i.†.¥.V.‡.¶.€.® 3

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 19:23
Originally posted by sityviper sityviper wrote:

i will try and claim the northeast as OotP's if you want it please try and diplomatically talk to me about it...

Kinds of kills the concept of a tournament.

-------------

Posted By: Sister Nikki
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 19:56
As it's Kings Tournament and we just passing holidays without truce why not all alliances declare truce so all of you have a great Tournament competition ??? As was in Ancient Olympic Games Smile Here can be Kings Tournaments Cool

P.S. just an idea Ouch

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 20:23
Originally posted by bartimeus bartimeus wrote:

Originally posted by sityviper sityviper wrote:

Kinds of kills the concept of a tournament.

true, but i need this money and prestige, and i'de rather win by any means necessaryTongue

-------------
§.i.†.¥.V.‡.¶.€.® 3

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 20:24
without my armies dead

-------------
§.i.†.¥.V.‡.¶.€.® 3

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 20:27
lol. I thought you gave all of your money to me...

-------------
Soon, very soon, my name will become synonymous with chicken alfredo.... mmm.... chicken alfredo....

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 21:23

The tourney seems to have had an impact on the marketplace, though.  Leather Armor, Swords, and Chainmail all have very high Buy bids.  I even see HonoredMule buying chainmail at a very high price!

Posted By: kicking5251
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 23:13
oh yeah man I hope to make some big money on this
I am talking millions Smile

Posted By: G0DsDestroyer
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 00:09

The tourney seems to have had an impact on the marketplace, though.  Leather Armor, Swords, and Chainmail all have very high Buy bids.  I even see HonoredMule buying chainmail at a very high price!

eh..sorry about that i kind of bought all the stuff that was cheap.Disapprove
so now i have to deal with inflated pricesDead

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 04:21
I thought I'd snatch up early in case prices rise more.  I have a lot of sovereignty bonus for swords (due to the region I've settled, I think), so I tend to produce mostly them and try to trade for chain.

At least I won't have to swallow stiffer prices than these, though. Smile

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 04:45
I greatly enjoy hearing about trading, and motives, etc.  Very entertaining to me.  :)

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 07:49
I recall someone in alliance chat saying they sold 1000 bows for 6M so there's sure to be some big money to be made for those that wont be participating in the tournament. Seems like everyone is going to win at this rate, in some form or another. 

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 18:22
As they say: "war is a very good business."  I believe some rich guy in the U.S.A. said this, around the time that WW I was kicking off.

-------------

Posted By: theblackmofia
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 20:53
Aesir will stand Strong,   Aesir will kill All.
Aesir will be Triumphant, Aesir will not FALL

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 20:53
Thank you, TBM.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 20:55
Sorry, I didn't notice that was a scouting only thread

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 21:45
I encourage all players to post Scout Reports for the Tourney Flag Sites under the respective Scout Flag Site Scout Report Topic.

I created a separate topic thread for each flag site and I would like to use those threads for Scout Reports only.

This is a project for all of Illy to participate in and I think posting the scout reports will help everyone follow the tourney with a clearer view of the action.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 02:24

This is a project for all of Illy to participate in and I think posting the scout reports will help everyone follow the tourney with a clearer view of the action.

Up until someone puts in false reports to throw off competition.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 03:27
My reports are honest and will come about every 24 hrs.

Posted By: Faya
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 03:43
I say.. Let people get their own reports. 
Besides, Scout reports are only reliable if they are recent.. usually by the time you get the report and get your army there, a lot has changed..esp in this tournament. 

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 03:57
I agree completely that these reports are NOT useful for planning.  I am only trying to be a bit of a journalist.  Anyone interested in planning is doing thier own work.  This is just a project to add "flavor" for all of Illy to see the entire tourney as best as I can do, with help from others.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 03:57
So people will be able to see one side and put together what happened by looking at herald and seeing losses and all that good stuff. So if it bothers you...well it doesn't bother me, so i say don't worry about it.

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 16:21
I think it's great TD!

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 17:00
Thanks for the postive feedback, guys.

I remind everyone to feel free to post scout reports of the flag sites.  My first scouts launched at the NE flag still are outbound (ugh).  I have now launched for 3 days so soon a daily report will be available for each flag (though at different times for each flag).

Dlord has held the SE flag uninterrupted.  H? has done the same for the SW flag.  Both flags are being contested though.  But so far the defenders have held tight.

The NW flag has seen much more action than I expected.  Curse is really commiting the troops at that flag.

The N flag was an interesting choice by Peace.  It looks like that they spaced their armies too far apart and lost the flag, at least for now.

The W flag has had several possession changes, too.  The mighty T? have staked a claim and made thier appearance on the leader board.

The NE flag is a surprising choice (at least to me) for H? to claim.  I expected H? to focus on the W, SW, and S flags.

It looks like there is a high level of player interest in this tourney and that is exciting.Clap

I'm interested in hearing y'alls observations, too.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 17:31
Just saw this on The Herald:
03JAN11 17:21
Epic Battle at http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk/view_map.asp?CenterX=500&CenterY=500 - 500|500
Well over ten thousand troops perished in the battle.

Maybe someone from that battle could post the battle report here.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 01:41
Hey TD just a suggestion, perhaps you could total up the amount of troops in your scout reports that you post so we know the total amount there at that time.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 19:28
We at H? have to thank VIC for all their help in skilling up our commanders. Your interest in their professional development is greatly appreciated and their careers are blossoming because of it!

;)

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 19:37
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

We at H? have to thank VIC for all their help in skilling up our commanders. Your interest in their professional development is greatly appreciated and their careers are blossoming because of it!

;)

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 20:17
Now that's Trash Talk with Style Points, Kumo!

VIC has been hitting Dlord at the SE Flag, too.  I wonder if VIC should have concentrated on just 1 flag.

Where are Crow, CrowB and CrowW?  mCrow has been very active and successful.  Are the other 3 Crows waiting for attrition to take a toll?  OR...Are Crows letting enemies exhaust themselves in the tourney and once thier enemies are depleted, the Crows will ravage thier foes?  Hmmm.  This might be an interesting sub-plot developing.

At least so far, Cala and DB appear to be focused on their war and not showing interest in the tourney.

0-0 has tried to no avail at the south flag against H? - even before VIC hit there.

The NE flag now has more than 100K casualties.  Man, it must really stink there from all the rotting corpses.  I hope y'all are setting up funeral pyres during the lulls in action.  Last man standing has to clean up the mess.  :)

West flag has the least casualties at only 13K.

My expectation that the north 3 flags would be the least contested has been blasted to smithereens!  Those are 3 most active flags...shows how good my crystal ball is.

I'm a bit surprised that the #2 alliance Peace has not been more active.  Maybe they are playing Rope-a-Dope and have a massive attack planned for a flag while using the north flag as a deception.   Hmmm.

Good and Crow are the only top 10 alliances yet to appear on the leaderboard.  But I suspect that wont last much longer.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:05
Ouch!  This was at the SE flag.  And then more Dlord troops arrived.

04JAN11 18:47 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=46 - VIC ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=2648 - Sloter5 arrive with orders to Occupy. 17494 casualties inflicted.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:08
Over at the SW flag, L W O is again moving against H?  The challenge for L W O is sustain the effort at this flag.  Kudos to L W O for the Chutzpah.  And I like the fairly tight group of 6 Attack armies in roughly 4 1/2 hours.   
04JAN11 21:07 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=88 - L W O ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=17480 - Trix arrive with orders to Attack. 802 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 17:48 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=88 - L W O ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=15932 - Iselde arrive with orders to Attack. 172 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 17:29 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=88 - L W O ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=17480 - Trix arrive with orders to Attack. 1116 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 16:52 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=88 - L W O ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=9497 - Zolvon arrive with orders to Attack. 117 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 16:44 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=88 - L W O ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=15932 - Iselde arrive with orders to Attack. 148 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 16:28 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=88 - L W O ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=15932 - Iselde arrive with orders to Attack. 509 casualties inflicted.

Posted By: kicking5251
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:14
22:12 server time 4th of January

note by kicking5251

0, 500 is currently unoccupied how is this possible?!?!?!?

Shocked 

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:17
K51 -

Date Event
04JAN11 22:04 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - Peace ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=21335 - Naper arrive with orders to Attack. 352 casualties inflicted.

Note that the last army used Attack strategem, not Occupy.  So Naper wiped out the defenders and left.  We should expect to see more Peace armies arrive with the Occupy strategem.

Good job, Peace!

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:33

We should expect to see more Peace armies arrive with the Occupy strategem.

Good job, Peace!

Better to expect mCrow to take it back shortly. =P

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:45

Now that's Trash Talk with Style Points, Kumo!

VIC has been hitting Dlord at the SE Flag, too.  I wonder if VIC should have concentrated on just 1 flag.

Where are Crow, CrowB and CrowW?  mCrow has been very active and successful.  Are the other 3 Crows waiting for attrition to take a toll?  OR...Are Crows letting enemies exhaust themselves in the tourney and once thier enemies are depleted, the Crows will ravage thier foes?  Hmmm.  This might be an interesting sub-plot developing.

At least so far, Cala and DB appear to be focused on their war and not showing interest in the tourney.

0-0 has tried to no avail at the south flag against H? - even before VIC hit there.

The NE flag now has more than 100K casualties.  Man, it must really stink there from all the rotting corpses.  I hope y'all are setting up funeral pyres during the lulls in action.  Last man standing has to clean up the mess.  :)

West flag has the least casualties at only 13K.

My expectation that the north 3 flags would be the least contested has been blasted to smithereens!  Those are 3 most active flags...shows how good my crystal ball is.

I'm a bit surprised that the #2 alliance Peace has not been more active.  Maybe they are playing Rope-a-Dope and have a massive attack planned for a flag while using the north flag as a deception.   Hmmm.

Good and Crow are the only top 10 alliances yet to appear on the leaderboard.  But I suspect that wont last much longer.

Well to answer some of your questions about Crow... CrowW is a training alliance therefor isn't getting involved. CrowB well... you'll see... Exclamation Caution!
Good is staying out of it at least for now.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 22:59
LOL.  Y'all make me laugh.  But don't the trainees need battle experience in "peaceful" setting?  I would think this is the best training opportunity possible.  Back in April/May in my 1st alliance, I conducted "jousting tournaments" for my allliance so we could practice moving armies (no NPC's at that time) and earn XP for our Cmdrs.

And here the trainees could learn about timing army movements in a alliance coordinated manner.

Anyhooo...I'm just sayin'  :)

I'll pull my nose out from under your tent, now.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 00:08

The saga at the north flag continues...

04JAN11 23:15 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=153 - mCrow ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=6757 - ScottFitz arrive with orders to Occupy. 535 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:46 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=1 - H? ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=24652 - Mr Andersson arrive with orders to Occupy. 483 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:36 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=1 - H? ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=24652 - Mr Andersson arrive with orders to Occupy. 1561 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:32 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - Peace ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=2942 - DarthVader98 arrive with orders to Occupy. 0 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:04 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - Peace ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=21335 - Naper arrive with orders to Attack. 352 casualties inflicted
As we saw in an earlier post...Naper cleared the north flag with the Attack command which left the flag unoccupied.  But this was a well planned attack.  Peace armies (that's ironical) had been hitting this flag for several hours before Naper cleared it.  And just 18 minutes later my neighbor and former alliance-mate DarthVader98 arrived and claimed the flag for Peace.
Not for long...I didn't notice if H? snatched the flag between Peace and mCrow...

I think this little snap shot illustrates the ebb and flow of the tourney perfectly.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 00:42
In 10 minutes this will all change... 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 00:58
Sent By:System
Received By:some random guy
Sent:05JAN11 00:53
Subject:Failed attack against Rashamon's forces at Square 0|500 by some random guy's forces from Some Random City 4

Two opposing forces clash against each other.

Large hills such as this are difficult for attacking mounted units, but provide opportunities for ranged to unit to show their worth. Arms-bearing footsoldiers take it all in their stride, of course.

Manueverability and lines of sight are the keys to defending very hilly terrain. Lightly armoured units such as spearmen and ranged units find it easy going here.

Attackers:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Commander: some random commander 3Stalwart1Damaged for 100, 0 health remains.
Troops:Axmen12120
Troops:Stalwarts6416410

Despite your troops' defeat, word reaches you concerning the defenders' forces in this battle.

Defenders:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Commander: LoKiWolfrider1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Kobold Cohorts1157523634
Troops:Clan Guardsmen1014556
Troops:Fangs1265769
Troops:Fists300135165
Troops:Clanguards101
Troops:Death Dealers814368446
Troops:Wolfriders1486682
Troops:Death Packs299135164
Commander: The Black KnightKnight1Damaged for 27, 34 health remains.
Troops:Knights20291111

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 00:59
Originally posted by some random guy some random guy wrote:

Received By:some random guy
Sent:05JAN11 00:53
Subject:Failed attack against Rashamon's forces at Square 0|500 by some random guy's forces from Some Random City 4

Large hills such as this are difficult for attacking mounted units, but provide opportunities for ranged to unit to show their worth. Arms-bearing footsoldiers take it all in their stride, of course.

Manueverability and lines of sight are the keys to defending very hilly terrain. Lightly armoured units such as spearmen and ranged units find it easy going here.

Commander: some random commander 3Stalwart1Damaged for 100, 0 health remains.
Troops:Axmen12120
Troops:Stalwarts6416410

Despite your troops' defeat, word reaches you concerning the defenders' forces in this battle.

Commander: LoKiWolfrider1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Kobold Cohorts1157523634
Troops:Clan Guardsmen1014556
Troops:Fangs1265769
Troops:Fists300135165
Troops:Clanguards101
Troops:Death Dealers814368446
Troops:Wolfriders1486682
Troops:Death Packs299135164
Commander: The Black KnightKnight1Damaged for 27, 34 health remains.
Troops:Knights20291111

Try harder next time SRG Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 03:12
Here's a developing story at the West Flag...

05JAN11 02:33 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=173 - CrowB ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=17847 - King EAM arrive with orders to Occupy. 1606 casualties inflicted.
05JAN11 01:59 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - Peace ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=3558 - ratboy arrive with orders to Occupy. 0 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:42 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=153 - mCrow ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=23230 - Snagga arrive with orders to Attack. 0 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:14 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=153 - mCrow ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=23230 - Snagga arrive with orders to Attack. 21 casualties inflicted.
mCrow destroyed the Sir defenders.
Peace (shout out to ratboy) grabbed the flag and then we get our first appearance (as promised) from CrowB in none other but King EAM, himself.

Do I see inter-Crow cooperation here?  mCrow clears the flag with Attack strategem and CrowB follows with Occupy strategem.  That's good teamwork, folks.

Wow! 

Watch these alliances battle it out.  This is exciting stuff, folks.  You can't find find this kind of action on just any street corner.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 03:40

Here's a developing story at the West Flag...

05JAN11 02:33 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=173 - CrowB ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=17847 - King EAM arrive with orders to Occupy. 1606 casualties inflicted.
05JAN11 01:59 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - Peace ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=3558 - ratboy arrive with orders to Occupy. 0 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:42 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=153 - mCrow ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=23230 - Snagga arrive with orders to Attack. 0 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:14 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=153 - mCrow ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=23230 - Snagga arrive with orders to Attack. 21 casualties inflicted.
mCrow destroyed the Sir defenders.
Peace (shout out to ratboy) grabbed the flag and then we get our first appearance (as promised) from CrowB in none other but King EAM, himself.

Do I see inter-Crow cooperation here?  mCrow clears the flag with Attack strategem and CrowB follows with Occupy strategem.  That's good teamwork, folks.

Wow! 

Watch these alliances battle it out.  This is exciting stuff, folks.  You can't find find this kind of action on just any street corner.

Love the reporting! Clap

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 13:50

last time I checked the NE flag took heavy casualties early on but has been more quiet for the last 2 days... around 60k casualties total.

NW flag hit 100k casualties before any other flag.

S flag is very heavily contested though, it will soon be the most bloody flag at this rate. H? has held it from the start but VIC is throwing almost everything at it. H? defence is still holding pretty strong though.

EDIT: indeed S flag at 0|-500 is now the most corpse strewn area of illyriad. 118k casualties and rising.

Posted By: Darth Vader
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 15:35

The saga at the north flag continues...

04JAN11 23:15 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=153 - ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=6757 - arrive with orders to Occupy. 535 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:46 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=1 - ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=24652 - arrive with orders to Occupy. 483 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:36 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=1 - ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=24652 - arrive with orders to Occupy. 1561 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:32 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=2942 - arrive with orders to Occupy. 0 casualties inflicted.
04JAN11 22:04 [ /view_alliance.asp?DisplayAllianceID=180 - ] forces sent by /view_player_profile.asp?DisplayPlayerID=21335 - arrive with orders to Attack. 352 casualties inflicted
As we saw in an earlier post...Naper cleared the north flag with the Attack command which left the flag unoccupied.  But this was a well planned attack.  Peace armies (that's ironical) had been hitting this flag for several hours before Naper cleared it.  And just 18 minutes later my neighbor and former alliance-mate DarthVader98 arrived and claimed the flag for Peace.
Not for long...I didn't notice if H? snatched the flag between Peace and mCrow...

I think this little snap shot illustrates the ebb and flow of the tourney perfectly.

Thanks for your efforts, TD. Your commentary makes the tourney a bit more exciting.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 17:15
OK, I'm using midnight server as my start point for this report...

North Flag:
22 Armies have hit this flag since then!  That's a busy flag.

Northeast Flag:
H? has reinforced, but I also see some H? armies coming through with Attack orders which tells me that H? thought they might lose this flag.  In other words, H? feels a little vulnerable here (hint, hint).  Only 1 small GOON army contested the flag.

East Flag:
GOON continues to hold the flag and reinforce.  Peace hit the flag with 6 armies but did not take it from GOON.  A big Dlord army (Flipper) hit and the flag had 16,912 casualties - my very rough estimate makes that a roughly 5K army flipper sent/lost [I encourage GOON to post a copy of the battle report in this thread].  H? sent 2 armies to this flag.

Southeast Flag:
Dlord continues their monopoly of this flag.  Reinforcements are still arriving.  VIC has hit the flag hard...Old friend WarriorBunny (Savior of The Alamo!  God bless WB) caused 14,984 casualties here....another large army destroyed.  [I encourage Dlord to post a copy of the battle report in this thread.]

South Flag:
H? continues their monopoly of this flag.  VIC has hit it with 8 armies.  And mCrow sent an army here...mCrow is all over the place in this tourney.

This is now the bloodiest flag in the tourney.

I wonder if VIC has made a mistake in attacking 2 well defended flags...splitting their attacks has left them with no flag to show for their efforts.  Not that concentrating on a single flag would have assured success, but it would certainly improve the odds for the attacker.  We'll see if VIC modifies their strategy over the next few days.

Southwest Flag:
Another H? monopoly.  Very quiet at this flag.  No one seems interested in trying to wrest this flag from H?'s mighty grip.  Seems like this would allow H? to send more forces to the South flag as well as make plays on other flags.  (Hint, Hint...perhaps one or more top 10 alliances (Crows?) could pressure H? at the SW while VIC concentrates on the S flag...which I'm sure would tickle Dlord's fancy.)

West Flag:
Lots of activity here.  Peace, Curse, T?, Strike Team, and Sir all have sent armies here.  The appearance of ST is notable given their general quietness.

Northwest Flag:
Activity is slowing (at least for the moment).  Curse continues to reinforce.   A few small attacks have taken place here.

RECAP: 3 Flags have been held by just 1 alliance for the entire tourney.  1 Dlord and 2 H?.  I suspect that if these flags are to be captured, 2 or more alliances will need to work together at each contested flag.

Good luck and good gaming to everyone!Clap

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 17:30
Interestingly the H? S flag has more defence than the all the GOON/Dlord/Curse stronghold flags combined even after VICs most recent wave of assaults, almost triple the defending army size of any other flag in the tournament...

I wonder if there is a little more motivation VIC has for going for the toughest flag in the tournament than meets the eye?

IMO if VIC just wants a flag to earn a share of the prize they could not have picked worse flags. Possibly VIC leadership has made a very poor decision. I have little doubt that they would have captured any other flag in the map by now if they had shown it the same attention as they have put into 0|-500.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 17:46
Sometimes being the "Big Dog" attracts attention.  True competitors are drawn to tough challenges.  Best wants to fight the best.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 18:06
I'm glad they're going after tough flags. That means less pressure on the rest of us. 

Posted By: Iduna
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 18:13
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

IMO if VIC just wants a flag to earn a share of the prize they could not have picked worse flags. Possibly VIC leadership has made a very poor decision. I have little doubt that they would have captured any other flag in the map by now if they had shown it the same attention as they have put into 0|-500.

Once you have commited this much troops to a position holding on to it seems the only choice and hoping for the best.
I can understand VIC is holding on to that flag..... I feel if they would change their focus it would feel a little like defeat.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 19:42
Originally posted by Iduna Iduna wrote:

Once you have commited this much troops to a position holding on to it seems the only choice and hoping for the best.

VIC don't have a position at the moment and haven't had one all tournament... they are attacking a very well defended H? position.. keep up.

I can understand VIC is holding on to that flag.....

ditto what I just said

I feel if they would change their focus it would feel a little like defeat.

sure, now they've throw so many troops down the same drain... all I was saying was that if VIC wanted a flag so they could get a share of the prizes then picking ANY other flag would have been easier. Which is why I think either VIC leaders made a mistake... or they have a seperate agenda to just winning flags.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 19:42
Maybe we can get some input from VIC directly on these topics.  (nudge, nudge)

I want to give a shout out and props to my Very Good Friend, The Most Honorable Pasi/Rymis (peace).  He has made his 1st appearance in the tourney at the north flag.  And grand entry indeed!  He captured the flag for Peace with an engagement causing 3,797 casualties.  Word of caution...Pasi fields big armies.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 19:57

Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

I can understand VIC is holding on to that flag..... I feel if they would change their focus it would feel a little like defeat.

It strikes me as pouring good money after bad...

Posted By: Faldrin
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 20:52
Received By:Faldrin
Sent:05JAN11 09:05
Subject:Victorious defense by Feonite's forces at Square 500|-500 under attack by Warrior Bunny's forces from Larkeslia

Swordsmen, and especially cavalry, find attacking into very mountainous terrain difficult - although ranged units can excel.

Narrow passes and gulleys hinder any mounted units' ability to defend adequately. Nimble spear units have no such worries here, and defending bowmen are able to use their height advantage to maximum effect.

Commander: BainElven Trueshot1Damaged for 250, 0 health remains.
Troops:Elven Trueshots593959390
Commander: LongramMarshal1Damaged for 200, 0 health remains.
Troops:Swiftsteeds1401400

Commander: GramhaldYeoman1Damaged for 91, 109 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen462125
Troops:Halbardiers945
Troops:Axmen789360429
Troops:Stalwarts19811
Troops:Slingers1257
Troops:Crossbowmen1046
Troops:Packsmen523
Commander: Daxin SilverhoofRunerider1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Runeriders1235667
Commander: Kabbar GraybeardHalbardier1Damaged for 91, 109 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers285130155
Commander: Gimli DarkforgeAxman1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts687314373
Commander: Ragknot StonebowCrossbowman1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen1637489
Commander: Gunthry PackmulePacksman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Packsmen833746
Commander: YeoYeoman1Damaged for 55, 66 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers18685101
Troops:Axmen371621
Troops:Stalwarts1597287
Commander: CrossCrossbowman1Damaged for 55, 66 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen1768096
Commander: StalStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts1406476
Troops:Runeriders835
Commander: AxelStalwart1Damaged for 53, 63 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers19187104
Troops:Axmen312
Troops:Stalwarts511233278
Troops:Slingers202
Troops:Crossbowmen19287105
Commander: Balin QuickaxePacksman1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers823745
Troops:Stalwarts1074859
Troops:Crossbowmen1336073
Troops:Runeriders291316
Commander: BuzzStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts1597287
Commander: Licorice StickHalbardier1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers723240
Troops:Crossbowmen1436578
Troops:Runeriders945
Commander: TuronStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers264120144
Troops:Axmen264120144
Troops:Stalwarts702320382
Troops:Crossbowmen391178213
Commander: BomburCrossbowman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers442202240
Troops:Axmen445203242
Troops:Stalwarts843385458
Troops:Crossbowmen895409486
Commander: BalinorStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers1336073
Troops:Axmen1064858
Troops:Stalwarts516235281
Troops:Crossbowmen327149178
Commander: The Unusual SuspectCrossbowman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers697318379
Troops:Crossbowmen698319379
Commander: OrthwynHalbardier1Damaged for 86, 104 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers421923
Commander: DurzoCrossbowman1Damaged for 86, 104 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen421923
Commander: KelsierRunerider1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts552530
Commander: ThrasyvoulosStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts984454
Commander: MontgomeryYeoman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen532429
Commander: LeonidasPacksman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Packsmen492227
Commander: RommelRunerider1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Runeriders1358
Commander: Leader DefYeoman1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen291316
Troops:Halbardiers291316
Troops:Crossbowmen291316
Commander: Leader OffYeoman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Axmen421923
Troops:Stalwarts421923
Troops:Packsmen421923
Troops:Runeriders202
Commander: Delbert PackerPacksman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Packsmen945
Commander: Stokman AxhelmAxman1Damaged for 53, 63 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts1406476
Commander: Gilbi SwiftboltCrossbowman1Damaged for 91, 109 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen291316
Commander: Roc BlackaxeAxman1Damaged for 58, 69 health remains.
Troops:Axmen20191110
Commander: Titchy RazorsliceStalwart1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts442024
Commander: AruthaStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Commander: Nain GrimPackerPacksman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Runeriders552530
Commander: Dwain GlimmerStalStalwart1Damaged for 91, 109 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts264120144
Commander: Dolmak Bolt-FeatherCrossbowman1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen552530
Commander: Nori IronheartHalbardier1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers552530
Commander: Sir JervalStalwart1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts18785102
Commander: Sir TorrenStalwart1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers773542
Commander: Sir EyractStalwart1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen793643
Commander: Sir FraxtalStalwart1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Runeriders401822
Commander: Sir NervalAxman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers512328
Troops:Axmen19811
Commander: Sir TepalaAxman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen1466680
Commander: FCPYeoman1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen984454
Troops:Halbardiers492227
Troops:Axmen592633
Troops:Slingers502228
Troops:Crossbowmen1486781
Commander: Commander StalwartRunerider1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen945
Troops:Halbardiers221012
Troops:Axmen945
Troops:Stalwarts713239
Troops:Slingers945
Troops:Crossbowmen1679
Troops:Packsmen945
Troops:Runeriders19811
Commander: Markris Death RiderRunerider1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Runeriders592633
Commander: Dribble Master AxmenStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts1466680
Commander: Crass the Deadly StingCrossbowman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen592633
Commander: Kibrik the Stave LordHalbardier1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers592633
Commander: Balin LongaxeRunerider1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers683137
Commander: Thrain BitebladeRunerider1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts954352
Commander: Thror SteelboltRunerider1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen954352
Commander: Commander HalbardierRunerider1Damaged for 53, 63 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen835
Troops:Halbardiers492227
Troops:Axmen835
Troops:Stalwarts1727894
Troops:Slingers835
Troops:Crossbowmen492227
Troops:Packsmen734
Troops:Runeriders251114
Commander: Thye OmanYeoman1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen1074859
Troops:Halbardiers1336073
Commander: Captain SwarthyStalwart1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Axmen823745
Troops:Stalwarts1074859
Commander: Nock DarrowSlinger1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Slingers1074859
Troops:Crossbowmen1336073
Commander: Jack AssaddlePacksman1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Packsmen552530
Troops:Runeriders1074859
Commander: WengalfRunerider1Damaged for 86, 104 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers823745
Commander: LoganStalwart1Damaged for 53, 63 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts552530
Commander: KylarRunerider1Damaged for 86, 104 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen823745
Commander: NuramonCrossbowman1Damaged for 53, 63 health remains.
Commander: FaldrinStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers642935
Troops:Stalwarts486222264
Troops:Crossbowmen389177212
Commander: YrsdalStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts18584101
Troops:Crossbowmen237108129
Commander: Sir BaxterStalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts19589106
Commander: Sir GabrielAxman1Damaged for 45, 55 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers246112134
Troops:Crossbowmen335153182
Commander: Sir NormanRunerider1Damaged for 68, 82 health remains.
Troops:Runeriders572631
Commander: Holgar FirestoneYeoman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen241014
Commander: Fergal TonhefterAxman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Yeomen413
Troops:Axmen291316
Commander: HarmfulHalbardier1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Halbardiers484221263
Troops:Crossbowmen484221263
Commander: Commander StalwartRunerider1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts622834
Troops:Crossbowmen1235667
Commander: Stalwart 2Stalwart1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Stalwarts542430
Troops:Crossbowmen984454
Commander: CrossCrossbowman1Damaged for 43, 52 health remains.
Troops:Crossbowmen823745

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 21:07
I've figured out a way to make millions! We will feed the entire Illyriad world. H? is going into the sausage business...

Thousands of tons of inexpensive tasty sausage is soon to hit the market. Please enjoy!

The initial brand is named "Vicworst". Bon appetit!

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 21:18

Big thanks for the battle report!

WarriorBunny attacked with 6,081 units - mostly Trueshots.  While her army was destroyed, Dlord lost 8,903 units...defender losses were 146% attacker losses.

But to me, the most important observation is that this attack killed about 45% of the defenders.  If VIC had 2 more armies of the 5K-6K size that followed closely behind, VIC would have captured this flag from Dlord.  This illustrates the importance of Attacker massing force on a single target.  And timing multiple armies closely together.

Looking at the Dlord defenses, I see a fair number of Cavalry defending in the Mountains which is putting the most expensive offensive unit on defense in the worst possible terrain for Cavalry.  But the spears and bows really showed their advantage in Mountains...despite facing Trueshots.

Good battle on both sides!

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 21:53
I'm seeing a lot of kitchen sink attacks rather than using the right tools for the job - that result shows why those attacks are bad.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 23:49
I think KillerPoodle is seeing what I am seeing.

I also see the common "Point and yell 'Charge!'" tactic.  By this, I mean a war-boss tells his alliance to send everything at a target now (hence, charge!).  Which is why we often see a single army from an alliance hit a flag with many, many hours passing before the next army arrives from that same alliance.

Here are my thoughts...
For holding a flag (i.e., defense), Spears and Bows are the prime defensive units.
For clearing a flag (i.e., offense), Swords and Horse are the prime offensive units.

Now, let me add that the above is a general rule.  Terrain can alter this.  Bows don't do well in woods, for example.

Race can have an impact, too.  For example, while Bows are ordinarily defensive, Elven Trueshots can be very effective on offense.

Commander bonus can also have a signficant impact if properly matched to units and mission.

I think a lot of players combine all they have into a single army and send it with Occupy orders.  I suggest that the alliance will do better if players separate their units into separate Offensive and Defensive armies and send them separately.  Offensive armies using Attack order.  Defensive armies using Occupy order.

The alliance that makes the effort to gather army speeds and schedule out launch time across a group of members and armies such that arrival at flag by all armies is as close as possible will achieve the best possible results with the least possible cost.  A superbly executed assault would see several large Offensive armies all arrive at a flag within 1 hour or less.  And in the minutes following the last Offensive army, Defensive armies would arrive so that all defensive armies for that wave arrive within 1 hour.  This would then provide a large defensive stack of armies ready to absorb several offensive armies.  And overall, this tactic should result more total flag possession time with less overall unit losses for the alliance using the tactic.

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 23:54
I posted the following in game suggestions but look forward to feedback here:

Ive noticed on Global a number of smaller alliance leaders understandably stating their displeasure with the tournament. Due to their size they feel its pointless as they're unable to compete.

A possible solution to this would be for future tournaments the ability for alliances to confederate and work as one/in unison. This would allow all Illyriad players to compete. Realistically as it stands now only the top 5 or so alliances have any realistic chance of holding a flag.

Thoughts Gents?

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 00:06
The hard limit of single alliances holding up to 100 players (and disabling NAPs and Confeds) is a key factor in making this tournament fair.  What would help more people participate is having more advance warning that a tournament of this nature will be upcoming.  In that preparation time, players can make temporary moves to competition-capable alliances that have room to spare.

Smaller alliances still could not compete, but many players within them could.  Of course there's no way that everyone can enjoy a fair chance, but that's life.  To an extent, the competitive advantages of the more advanced players is fair reward for effort already invested into the game.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 00:14
Switching alliances for competition is not an easy thing.

1) Player/Alliance loyalty/pride is very important.

2) Cooldown times

3) A record of the exit/rentry could be misinterpreted later as the player being "difficult" within an alliance

4) Not all members could exit an alliance and still preserve the alliance

5) The founder, likely an important military contributor, could not easily switch for the tourney.  Doing so requires moving the alliance capital.

6) Prize sharing is difficult - esp the special units.

7) No sharing of the glory to the unnamed alliances

8) Loss of Alliance chat, in-game forums to the swithcing alliance.  And exposure of temporary members to another alliance chat/in-game forum.

I think swithcing for the tourney is only practical for the large alliances with sister alliances.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 00:19
Ive inadvertantly started a duel discussion (here and in Game enhancements) on evening the tournament playing field. For continuity of purpose please state all opinions/contributons in this thread as the game enhancement thread was placed for GM benefit.

My last stat on the issue :

In a confederation of alliances the rule would apply for a limited (maximum) number of players ie 100 (the current Alliance member max). This would obviously rule out larger alliance confederation and place the benefit with the smaller alliances ie the desired effect.

Small alliances could, for the duration of the tournament, act as large single bodies, enabling them to be competitive.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 00:21
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

Realistically as it stands now only the top 5 or so alliances have any realistic chance of holding a flag.

I wouldn't say that. mCrow is rank 12 and we're doing quite well given our size. We're only 29 hours behind in total flag time and we're up against alliances twice our size and even if we don't win the overall I'm confident we can win the prize for holding one of the flags the longest. I think it's really the alliances from rank 15 and down that suffer.

I suppose one way you could potentially solve this problem is to host a tournament that only alliances below X rank can join but this could be difficult since players could drop out of the alliance temporarily so they'd fall within that rank grouping then join back in.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 00:59

Dateline: South Flag

It’s a ghastly sight here at the south flag.  The stench is sickening (yes…I was sick).  With deep sadness, I can tell you that more than 150,000 brave soldiers have perished at this flag.

I have interviewed survivors and this is what they have told me…each saying the same thing:

"Dead Orcs are the most horrible smell ever known!"

They also described berms built from corpses.   Attackers climb these corpse-berms to close on the defenders only to be shot down by archers and run-through by spearmen in a reverse-slope defense.  And the corpse-berm grows.  This cycle has been repeating itself for days now.   These corpse-berms can now be seen from nearly a mile away.  The most horrible aspect of the battlefield is the moans and cries from the dying buried within the corpse-berms.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 01:00
But what about alliances with large numbers of new players?
(putting this here per request of Llyorn)

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 01:21
Originally posted by some random guy some random guy wrote:

But what about alliances with large numbers of new players?
(putting this here per request of Llyorn)

Well they could 'marry' with a more established Alliance. But as HM pointed out the rewards should steer towards those more invested in the game (as they naturally do) and if you had a COMPLETLY even playing field (ie all random variables were excluded) then by definition no one could win.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 01:27

OK, I began compiling this report at midnight server...

North Flag:
Unoccupied.  mCrow (h8tedoak) killed off Rymis using Attack order.

Northeast Flag:
H? continues reinforcing

East Flag:
GOON continues reinforcing.  A small Peace army challenged.

Southeast Flag:
Dlord continues reinforcing.  2 smaller VIC armies hit...but 6 Dlord armies arrived as reinforcements between those VICs.

South Flag:
Over 150K casualties
4 VIC armies hit within 3 hours.  That's a significant tightening of army arrival by VIC.  These 4 armies caused 28,326 casualties.

Let's recognize AH alliance for showing their colors here!

Southwestg:
L W O hits with 8 armies in 6 hours.  There's some planning going on there.  :)

Let's recognize these alliances for showing their colors here - of all flags, I mean come on...These alliances are showing they intend to compete:

In addition to L W O
Ana
Beer!
ARR

West Flag:
A small GOON army (Faya) died here.  Curse (Tanis) makes a move and captures the flag!

This flag attracts smaller armies.

Northwest Flag:
Curse continues to reinforce.  FDU (JCD64) makes a valiant showing, as does =CE=.

Let's recognize the competitive spirit these alliances are showing.

I'll say that again...HUZZAH to all the alliances participating in the tourney, most especially to those alliances that know their only reward is showing their alliance's colors.  That's serious competition.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 01:38

South Flag:
Over 150K casualties
4 VIC armies hit within 3 hours.  That's a significant tightening of army arrival by VIC.  These 4 armies caused 28,326 casualties.

VIC have been arrive pretty scattered over an extended period of time. I reckon they thought they would have the flag by now too because there's ALOT of defesive armies attacking the flag with rather bad ratios.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 02:26

I'll say that again...HUZZAH to all the alliances participating in the tourney, most especially to those alliances that know their only reward is showing their alliance's colors...

...or contributing clearing attacks in exchange for goods and services rendered by other competitors.  And that brings to light an important note, that players who can't compete can still profit, and not just via trade.  Last I checked, there were no rules against cooperative agreements or hiring mercenary alliances to help clear the way.  This might also prove a more sensible explanation for VIC's choice of strategy.

Suffice it to say Harmless is not counting our chickens just yet.  We may not even know who is our real competition. Clap

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 05:30
You may not actually have competition, at least not for the overall flag holding time. I can't see anyone getting ahead with you guys being 13 days ahead of second place. 

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:48
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

I can't see anyone getting ahead with you guys being 13 days ahead of second place. 

Pretty much wrong... there are 203.2 total possession days remaning (with only 44.8 passed) in this tournament as of right now, imo it can still go any way, especially given there are several big alliances that didn't make an appearance while everyone else is killing off their troops.

Posted By: Faldrin
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:59
Using the right troops for the job. Just the timing was all wrong:

Sent By: System
Received By: Faldrin
Sent: 03JAN11 17:14
Subject: Failed attack against Faya's forces at Square 500|0 by Faldrin's forces from Borchium

Cavalry comes into its own when able to strike hostile forces at will, and from unexpected directions - and nowhere is this more feasible than on open plains. Lightly armoured spear units, however, prefer terrain where there's some cover available.

Fighting defensively on open plains, cavalry draws strength from the ability to form and reform their lines of engagement depending on the direction of battle, and it is here where cavalry excels.

Attackers: Unit: Quantity: Casualties: Survivors:
Commander: Narlin Runerider 1 Damaged for 100, 0 health remains.
Troops: Runeriders 2000 2000 0

Defenders: Unit: Quantity: Casualties: Survivors:
Commander: Crystal2 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Phalanxes 119 45 74
Troops: Wardancers 119 45 74
Troops: Elven Trueshots 119 45 74
Commander: Crystal3 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 30, 50 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 903 348 555
Commander: Gordon Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 80 30 50
Commander: Axel Axman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Yeomen 13 5 8
Troops: Halbardiers 76 29 47
Troops: Axmen 19 7 12
Troops: Stalwarts 268 103 165
Troops: Slingers 9 3 6
Commander: Ardlett Packsman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Packsmen 53 20 33
Troops: Runeriders 221 85 136
Commander: Packard Packsman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Crossbowmen 124 47 77
Commander: Faya4 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 31, 50 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 303 116 187
Commander: Sir Robin Longbowman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Archers 6 2 4
Troops: Longbowmen 138 53 85
Commander: Sir Lothar Swordsman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Militiamen 6 2 4
Troops: Pikemen 114 43 71
Troops: Swordsmen 11 4 7
Troops: Men-at-Arms 72 27 45
Troops: Charioteers 5 1 4
Troops: Knights 144 55 89
Commander: Crystal4 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 24, 40 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 412 158 254
Commander: Speedy Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 26 10 16
Commander: Packist Packsman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Yeomen 6 2 4
Troops: Stalwarts 77 29 48
Troops: Crossbowmen 10 3 7
Troops: Runeriders 61 23 38
Commander: Faya1 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 31, 50 health remains.
Troops: Phalanxes 268 103 165
Troops: Wardancers 267 102 165
Troops: Elven Trueshots 640 246 394
Commander: Dirk Militiaman 1 Damaged for 42, 69 health remains.
Troops: Charioteers 525 202 323
Troops: Knights 739 284 455
Commander: Horse Packsman 1 Damaged for 28, 46 health remains.
Troops: Packsmen 143 55 88
Troops: Runeriders 148 57 91
Commander: Rork Marshal 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 95 36 59
Troops: Marshals 142 54 88
Commander: Yum1 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 32, 53 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 175 67 108
Commander: Yum2 Marshal 1 Damaged for 32, 53 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 169 65 104
Commander: James Marshal 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 101 38 63
Troops: Marshals 101 38 63
Commander: Speed Bug Charioteer 1 Damaged for 31, 50 health remains.
Troops: Charioteers 386 148 238
Troops: Knights 268 103 165
Commander: Grant Militiaman 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Charioteers 26 10 16
Troops: Knights 52 20 32
Commander: NoOne Protector 1 Damaged for 24, 40 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 408 157 251
Commander: Crystal1 Charioteer 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Charioteers 327 126 201
Commander: Sleepy2 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 32, 53 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 88 33 55
Commander: Sleepy3 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 22, 36 health remains.
Troops: Phalanxes 103 39 64
Troops: Wardancers 103 39 64
Troops: Elven Trueshots 103 39 64
Commander: Sleepy4 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 253 97 156
Commander: Beau Wolfrider 1 Damaged for 42, 68 health remains.
Troops: Wolfriders 1396 538 858
Commander: Beau Wolfrider 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Wolfriders 1894 730 1164
Commander: Toeless1 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 218 84 134
Commander: Toeless2 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 32, 53 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 89 34 55
Commander: Toeless3 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 22, 36 health remains.
Troops: Phalanxes 25 9 16
Troops: Wardancers 25 9 16
Troops: Elven Trueshots 103 39 64
Commander: Horsie Charioteer 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Charioteers 218 84 134
Commander: Alumi Shadoweye Marshal 1 Damaged for 21, 35 health remains.
Troops: Marshals 71 27 44
Commander: SiegetheDay1 Swiftsteed 1 Damaged for 31, 50 health remains.
Troops: Swiftsteeds 190 73 117

-------------

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:00
As for tactics and/or conspiracy/mercenary theories....
We never worked as mercenaries (at least since I know), and won't do in near future!
Just look on the map, look where our town are, and then try to find out what were the nearest forts to attack... fine, think you all had math in school Clap

Now I just heard of an inbound attack on a member of Invictus, so why?
I just thought H? is happy with us sending them training material, I wonder why noone brought up the theory of us working together with H? to train their commanders  LOL

So let's stay just fair in this game, and keep all action at those forts, please

Hora, member of Invictus

Posted By: warriorbunny
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 14:29
Excellent reply from Hora - just thought I would jump in and reinforce that message.

What happens in the tournament should stay on the tournament squares, (Kumo).  If we are sausages, why do you need to hit our towns with diplo and magic to lessen our forces?  Surely, sausages are no threat to you!

WB

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 14:54
HOLD THE PRESSES!

Am I reading here that the competition has left the flags and moved to cities?

I understand that the losses are starting to mount up.  I understand that long-term resiliency in the tournament rests on an alliances economic output.  I understand the temptation to attack a competitors economy (i.e., cities) to weaken competitors.   However, I think King Sigurd created this tournament to provide his champions an opportunity to flex their muscles and strut their stuff in a setting that would avoid war.

Keep in mind, fellow Illyrians, that opening campaigns on cities can quickly escalate into Global Thermo-nuclear Warfare (i.e. sieges and loss of cities).  And for all those that think "well, it is just a game." I want to highlight the important fact that when alliances do go nuclear, they select high value targets (big players, big cities) and the end result is that the defeated player leaves Illy for good in many cases.  And when a player leaves Illy, remaining players lose a friend and Illy becomes less fun for the survivors.

I, for one, implore all Illyrians to maintain the proper spirit of good sportsmanship in the tournament and restrict all activites to the flag sites.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 15:03
Fladrin,

A couple of observations re: your attack at the east flag above:

1) Hey!  Dlord attacked another flag.  I don't recall seeing much Dlord activity away from the southeast flag.

2) GOON had 13,407 defending the flag.  You attacked with 2,000 and caused GOON 5,125 casualties.  This is an outstanding loss ratio at over 2.5 defenders killed for each attacker killed.  This compares very favorably to the last battle I analyzied which had a loss ratio of 1.45 defenders killed for each attacker killed.  2 more armies just like this attacker and Dlord would have taken the flag from GOON.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 15:10
There's a whole range of things that could be done outside of a tournament square from a simple scouting expedition to find out what further attacks might be incoming all the way up the diplo chain into assassinating commanders to delay potential attacks.   Players could even go beyond that to a siege on a capital to cause a mass withdrawal from a square so it can be taken.

All of these options are "sanctioned" and "fair" - this is a sandbox after all - but some are more evil than others so it's a case of how much you want the victory, how evil you want to be and whether you want to accept the consequences.

Personally I feel that using scouts on an alliance that is attacking the fort you hold to see what strength they have left is just common sense and that, compared to the 700K+ tournament casualties so far, assassinating some commanders to get an edge is pretty small change.

OTOH - I can also see how people might have expected tournament things to stay on tournament squares - despite Strategos's comments in the other thread.

With all that said - H? members have now voted *not* to use diplo methods to aid us in the tournament unless we are the recipient of those same methods.

KP

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 15:40

The whole "sandbox" rationale is bunk.  The argument is that I am theoretically able to play "my own game" in Illy.  Yeah, I was able to do that exactly 8 days until someone decided that his "own game" meant attacking me.  The reality is that only the biggest player/alliance gets to play their game.  And everyone else has to do it their way or die.  The only working ethic in Illy is Might is Right.

Man, I'll tell you flat out, this news of city attacks has really disspirited me.   Now instead of this being a friendly competition, it is a prelude to war.   This is a total buzz-kill.

Posted By: warriorbunny
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 15:44
Hey, Dude (long live the Alamo!)

No worries, it was just a blip and has all been worked out.  I agree that anything is "within the rules" but some stuff is more evil than others... and H? have made a good and fair decision.

WB

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 15:59
Originally posted by warriorbunny warriorbunny wrote:

No worries, it was just a blip and has all been worked out.  I agree that anything is "within the rules" but some stuff is more evil than others... and H? have made a good and fair decision.

WB
Human nature being what it is...The genie is out of the bottle, I fear.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 16:25
MY HEAD EXPLODES

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 18:36

Originally posted by warriorbunny warriorbunny wrote:

WB
Human nature being what it is...The genie is out of the bottle, I fear.

I think The Dude doesn't find the tournament satisfyingly entertaining and would rather see "quickly escalate into Global Thermo-nuclear Warfare".

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 18:38
speaking of thermo-nuclear warfare

whe i find that punk ass who is sabotaging me i kill you.
HEAR ME!!!! I KILL YOU

Posted By: Jasche
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 19:02
Just to confirm what has been explained by some of our management team in VIC... there has been no mercenary or other 'secret' rationale for our attacks. And to add to that, over the last 24 hours we've been hit by a series of magic and diplo attacks. I'm glad to see this has been resolved now...

J

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net