The Horror Has Stirred (May-2019)

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Elgea
Forum Description: For everything related to the Elgea Continent
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10636
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Horror Has Stirred (May-2019)
Posted By: Wartow
Subject: The Horror Has Stirred (May-2019)
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 17:08
Greetings experienced mystery adventurers!

Looks like the Heart of Corruption has wrapped up activity for May 2019.  The temples are no longer corrupted and the tentacle droppers are finishing up their work.  I didn't see anything in the chats that indicated a change with the percentage of attacks that generate tentacles (still about 5%).

Did anyone receive this Old Crone message on this go around as of yet?  May I speculate that this message comes only once on your journey to solve the quest?  Is it once per player, or once per town?  I did not receive this expected message and its warning not to be foolish.

An old crone arrives at the doors of ******.

Into the Gatekeepers' hand she presses a small piece of parchment that reads:

"The Horror has stirred; and the fools continue to feed it - making your task ahead more arduous. You've spoken with the Ancient Dwarven warriors, and you've made your choice to stand in opposition.

Once it is sated, the next phase will begin.

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. If you're not well prepared to defend your city against the corruption, this could prove disastrous.

I wish you luck, ******. Stand firm. And if you cannot stand firm, then die well."

As swiftly as she arrived, she is gone.

We are into the third quarter moon phase as of this writing.  I hope more is coming once we get into the new moon phase.  

Please post your updates here.  I'd like this thread to focus on the efforts of those that are currently with all required tentacles and have sent messengers to Duraz Karag.  Anyone with incoming of the swift and/or ruinous nature can plea for help if any time remains!

If you are still collecting/trading tentacles then I suggest you continue your journey here:  https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/the-greatest-quest-on-illyriad_topic5771_post77613.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/the-greatest-quest-on-illyriad_topic5771_post77613.html

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Asvenger
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 23:11
Wartow - thanks for leading the way on the mystery. I have two quest towns. One got the Duraz Karag "Your diplomat walks .." message in Jan 2019, the other got the Duraz Karag message in May 2019 after the Heart started beating. Both towns have the tentacles stored in vaults. I have not received the Old Crone message yet.

Posted By: Yitshak
Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 21:56
Nope - not had that message yet, waiting....

-------------
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 27 May 2019 at 09:11
I got the crone message this time around too.
I also got it previously in a different town.
So your theory about one per account is off I should think. One per ton is more likely.

I've been holding back but I may kick off and do the next phase soon.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: zolvon
Date Posted: 27 May 2019 at 09:39
Also remember that things are research related, and they keep adding more to the tech tree's.

The fortune teller messages change when all research in a town is complete.

So that may be one of the boxes needed to be ticked (all research complete) along with, maybe...

Vault at lvl 20?

Have thieves present?

Surround town with armies?

Send something some where ???

I dunno :-)

Date Posted: 27 May 2019 at 13:54
Originally posted by zolvon zolvon wrote:

Also remember that things are research related, and they keep adding more to the tech tree's.

The DEVS previously stated that the "new" research will not alter the ability to progress on this quest.  I think there is still an open question as to how much, and what, research must be completed prior to being able to move forward.  The fortune tellers will probably let you know when you've done enough, I think as a community we've decided that it all must be complete because that is where we all end up in the long run.

Definition of "new" research:
  • https://assets.illyriad.net/www/ReleaseEquipmentNotes.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://assets.illyriad.net/www/ReleaseEquipmentNotes.pdf
  • https://assets.illyriad.net/docs/EnchantmentReleaseNotes.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://assets.illyriad.net/docs/EnchantmentReleaseNotes.pdf
Remember that the crone visits multiple times.  Once to tell you about the tentacle collection and another that the "horror has stirred".  I want confirmation that the "horror has stirred" message has been delivered during this activation of the HoC.  My suspicion is that if you received this message from a previous activation that you will NOT receive it again.  

We await the new moon... and your updates!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 15:56
I wonder if Swift and Ruinous had the wrong coordinates for my cities?  I can generate Master-Crafted Chainmail messages from the Fortune Teller but I get no further Crone visit and neither does a messenger to the Duraz Karag generate what one would expect with the required tentacles assembled.  

All dead air here...  

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 03:46
Silence for me too. I'm thinking the last chance this round is the next full moon. I don't recall any discussion of whether group action needed to kickstart the "horror has stirred" message. I'm going to resend diplos from quest towns to the Heart, Duraz Karag and fortune tellers. 

Posted By: Ryklaw
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 03:05
As one who succeeded in getting a response (many years ago) that resulted in the vines growing outside my city, I am sure that this quest is broken. In 2017 I sent a support petition outlining the proof that this quest was broken. (I am accustomed to my petitions being ignored with the oldest petition dating back to 2015.) 

I am glad to see people with an interest in this quest. But I am sorry to say, that I have completed the known portion of the quest every time possible. Only the first time did it progress properly with myself and others failing to properly safeguard the tentacles and having the growth outside the city. 

Since the quest is broken, it is unknown what is the status of cities who had tried before and failed. Likewise what is the status of the cities who have tried since then and the system is broken?

I do not want to discourage people from trying to solve this quest or any of the many others which are still unsolved, but I do want people to know it is not their fault that they do not get a response. Many of us are doing the right thing to no avail. Maybe someday somebody will acknowledge that some parts of this great game are simply broken.

-------------
Finishing the Race!
II Tim 4:7,8

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:58
Originally posted by Ryklaw Ryklaw wrote:

As one who succeeded in getting a response (many years ago) that resulted in the vines growing outside my city, I am sure that this quest is broken. In 2017 I sent a support petition outlining the proof that this quest was broken. (I am accustomed to my petitions being ignored with the oldest petition dating back to 2015.) 

I am glad to see people with an interest in this quest. But I am sorry to say, that I have completed the known portion of the quest every time possible. Only the first time did it progress properly with myself and others failing to properly safeguard the tentacles and having the growth outside the city. 

Since the quest is broken, it is unknown what is the status of cities who had tried before and failed. Likewise what is the status of the cities who have tried since then and the system is broken?

I do not want to discourage people from trying to solve this quest or any of the many others which are still unsolved, but I do want people to know it is not their fault that they do not get a response. Many of us are doing the right thing to no avail. Maybe someday somebody will acknowledge that some parts of this great game are simply broken.

It is easy to get the feeling that Ryklaw experienced...  At this point I can generate the fortune teller message but the old crone won't visit any more.  The messages I get from sending a messenger to Duraz Karag isn't the same... And as I mentioned "the horror has stirred" message never came this go around.  

I think there are a few explanations which make me think things aren't broken:

(1) I believe there is a maximum number of cities which can be actively participating in the quest.  I think that number is five.  Once I got visits from the crone in five different cities, along with visit Duraz Karag, I cannot get her to visit any more.

(2) "The horror has stirred" message may only come the first time you have advanced to that stage in the quest.  Remember when this mystery was first implemented that the Heart of Corruption was active for just a few days, perhaps the length of a moon phase, and there was not anticipation that players would attempt the solution from multiple cities simultaneously.  

(3) Why didn't the signs of failure appear the last time the Heart of Corrupt was active?  I propose that at least one player advanced further than has been accomplished previously and doing so didn't result cascading failure to those who did not make progress.  Perhaps this was an implementation to keep sprawling corrupted squares from taking over the map.  For this I am appreciative.  I'd hate to exo multiple cities. 

Just my thoughts... I have not completed this mystery and if I'm withholding anything it is other crazy conjectures that I'm trying to see what works.

-------------

Posted By: Hopper
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 17:30
Audrey/HoC activity

September 2020,
no tourney on going...
48 spots around Audrey with tentacles...

quite a few cities from different players with sets of tentacles, having visited Duraz Karag...

Shall we try and wake the Heart of Corruption one more time?

(I have one city in my alt and my first geared:
5+ tentacles for each race, vaults
8 armies - with diplos - ready to sit around the cities
troops - and diplos - garrissoned in the cities
defending spells up
)

Shouldn't we try to wake Audrey up?

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 15:18
... [silence! no one interested?]

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 18:16
I'm in

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 18:46
Great!

All help is welcome!

Anybody willing to contribute, igm in Illy to Ada (dlord)…

I'lll try and find a way to build some sort of an 'Ops Center'...

Best,

Ada, aka Hopper (and other nicknames Wink )

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 19:29
Would be interested in helping out

If you end up making a slack or discord, lmk.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 13:47
My latest theory...

Five tentacles of each race is needed in this quest.  Each race must be involved in more ways than just the generation and distribution of tentacles.  I've been sending troops and diplos at Audrey for some time now with little growth.  I recently was assigned to be a sitter for an orc that is leaving the game and decided to send off some of his armies into Audrey.  The numbers weren't astonishing but the resulting growth in corrupted squares was!  At this time I would plea to elves and dorfs to consider tossing some troops and/or diplos at Audrey to continue the expansion and hopefully awaken her sooner rather than later.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 14:26
Thx, Wartow!

I'm sending from my active accounts some dwarves/elves armies to Audrey.

Helga has opened a Slack chat for HoC. I anyplayer wants to join, please send an igm with email adress either Ada [dlord] or Helga [laugh] so that we can invite.

Anyway, I'll try and copy relevant info/questions here.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 03:24

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 15:23
And less than 12 hours later... +5 corrupted squares.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 16:07
Mmh! some of my dwarves visited HoC lately:
Heart of Corruption Visited (!)
14 hours ago
21 hours ago
2 days ago
2 days ago
3 days ago
etc.
Some elves are due in 3 days…

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 16:12
But this morning, kubuntlu's tool (updated at 23h39) hadn't noticed any increase.

Updates may be registered once a day (just as Fortune Tellers moves)?

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:35
56 minutes ago
11 Sep 2020 08:34:55
(dwarves)
1 hour ago
11 Sep 2020 08:25:10
(elves)
69 corrupted sq. (+9, as HoC+surrounding tendrils)

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 20:21

Perhaps 5 more squares to go?

Are you ready?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 22:12
A few elves sent… army, and diplos… 1h27m and 58m resp.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 07:36
Only 3 sq. to go! I'm positioning some armies on the 3 temples so that they'll be occupied when Audrey starts beating and they convert. (One army has some scouts in a separate div…)
I wonder what will happen:
  • mere disparition?
  • Melders retaliation army?
  • other?

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 16:46
Originally posted by Hopper Hopper wrote:

Only 3 sq. to go! I'm positioning some armies on the 3 temples so that they'll be occupied when Audrey starts beating and they convert. (One army has some scouts in a separate div…)
I wonder what will happen:
  • mere disparition?
  • Melders retaliation army?
  • other?

Interesting!  Maybe this will PREVENT the awakening?  I like the experimentation.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 17:00
I keep sending Elf and Dwarf suicide missions on HoC… No new corrupted sq. atm!
Occupation armies set on the temples:
Ada's [Dlord] units from 4. Marylebone arrive at [-990|-817] in Kumala with orders to occupy
6 hours ago
20 Sep 2020 09:51:29
Ada's [Dlord] units from 4. Marylebone arrive at [-989|-817] in Kumala with orders to occupy
6 hours ago
20 Sep 2020 09:48:03
3rd occupying army to land in a while (5hrs 17 mins atm ) on
-979|-836 in Kumala

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 01:00
Three squares remain.  85 total needed.  73 squares + HoC 9= 82.  Just.  Three.  More.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 18:51
Wait.  An army RETURNS from Audrey?!?  What?!?!

As your army from ********* moves deeper into Melder territory, the vegetation becomes twisted, wildlife scarce. Your troops have heard the rumours, that none who enter these lands return, and they are greatly concerned. But you command, and they obey.

As they approach their destination they can see trees twisted out of shape, their trunks split by fungal growths which have erupted from within, dark vines strangling their branches. It seems that the creepers ensnaring the trees are moving slowly, perhaps blown by the wind. Or perhaps it is not the wind.

Moving into this twisted landscape, the vines seem to reach out towards your troops, but draw back when your Elementals approach. Deeper into the dark land, your soldiers find huge, foul-smelling fungi, looking like huge seed-pods, which quiver as they approach... but when an Elemental moves close, the fungi shrivel away, until they crumble into harmless dust. Some of your troops say that they see movement in the trees, perhaps figures moving, but nothing emerges from the foliage to threaten them. The trees themselves seem to draw back from your Elementals, so that wherever your soldiers look, the trees seem to be leaning away from them.

Your army reaches [-994|-824] in Kumala without incident.

They are now returning home, unscathed.

Rumour reports that after your units disappeared in the Corrupted Lands, more land became twisted and dark. Verdant jungle has become infested with putrid fungus and dark creepers, as though the destruction of your forces had fuelled the spread of the corruption to nearby lands.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 07:14
It would be interesting to send an army with elementals against sq. occupied by escaped tentacles from cities!
It could perhaps wipe them?

Later (we wish to waken Audrey asap!) another experiment should be conducted : check if armies with elementals can wipe corrupted sq. around its core.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 14:50
FYI - Sending an army with elementals to The Misted Lands doesn't show anything new.

Army from ******* enters The Misted Lands.

Sent By: System
Date: 24 Sep 2020 12:38

Your Army from ******* enters The Misted Lands, heading towards [-636|756] in Kal Tirikan.

Within the fog they cannot see even an inch in front of their faces.

They blunder around for a while hoping for some break in the mists, but all in vain and they head home - defeated by the swirling, clammy, enshrouding air.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 15:23
Have a try around one of Ryklaw's cities? (if any has kept escaped tentacles?

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 15:58

Have a try around one of Ryklaw's cities? (if any has kept escaped tentacles?

I'm trying one of the squares around Alcie's Fry city to see what happens.  

It appears my "discovery" that elementals can return from the HoC isn't new news.  

https://illyorcs.forumotion.com/t12-unsolved-unlocking-the-advanced-race-specific-weapons-armor" rel="nofollow - https://illyorcs.forumotion.com/t12-unsolved-unlocking-the-advanced-race-specific-weapons-armor

-------------

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 16:06
But did your army actually return?

The next paragraph says otherwise.  This may be a corruption of the original message.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 03:56
Originally posted by Lagavulin Lagavulin wrote:

But did your army actually return?

The next paragraph says otherwise.  This may be a corruption of the original message.

The army was on its way to return to the city.  I think the DEVS have a message to clean up there.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:51
Latest suicide expeditions from Elves, Dwarves didn't add any extension to Audrey...

Shouldn't we try and find some Orc help? — if a ration between races is asked for?
or
Should we investigate on a calendar factor (day, moon, season, ...) ?
or
numbers of/in the armies/expeditions within a delay ?

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:54
Another point:

in case Audrey gets beating again, players owning Elementals should consider sending them as reinforcement of cities qualified with tentacles, Duraz Karag visits etc. in case this could prevent the evasion of tentacles.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 16:15

Latest suicide expeditions from Elves, Dwarves didn't add any extension to Audrey...

Shouldn't we try and find some Orc help? — if a ration between races is asked for?
or
Should we investigate on a calendar factor (day, moon, season, ...) ?
or
numbers of/in the armies/expeditions within a delay ?

It is known that the final few corrupted squares require more sacrifices than the earlier squares.  The developers may have designed it this way to (1) raise interest in the quest as we approach awakening, (2) provide time for those who are feeding the growth to yield to others as to not be seen as "fools" according to the old crone after awakening, (3) just encourage more clicks such that awakening doesn't occur too frequently.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 16:17

Another point:

in case Audrey gets beating again, players owning Elementals should consider sending them as reinforcement of cities qualified with tentacles, Duraz Karag visits etc. in case this could prevent the evasion of tentacles.

I'd encourage anyone who has the required minimum of five tentacles per race AND who has been to Duraz Karag to make their status known.  We may need to arrange some NAPs between alliances to support each other from the "swift" and "ruinous" disaster (in all seriousness).

SkB leadership is willing to entertain temporary NAPs to appease my annoying requests for the purpose of this event.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 17:22
atm, I geared two cities with all the prerequisites (tentacles, visits, etc.)
- one with Ada in Dlords (dwarf, then, oc)
- one with IbnBattuta in Ache (elf)

I'm ready to defend them in and around with allied help, if ever we live a new episode of activity.

btw, I'm about to suggest, in a few places, Orc (and other) players to contribute to the quest... All support welcome!

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 22:48
I prepped a city with the 4 sets of 5 tentacles and did everything in theory required for the quest.  I previously heard that they would be 'locked' in the city but that appears to not be the case, basically nothing happened to the city for months.  

Also if it was locked behind elements then only a few people would even be able to go for it.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 03:08

Three more squares yet to corrupt.

I guess I'm just most familiar with black panthers in the arctic, but I guess some of the older ones prefer a warmer climate?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:08
It seems Black panthers have been unlocked in Kumala…

I noticed some around my outpost North of HoC, and my skinners were able to get a few anatomies.

Nice to get, whilst shards and essences are so costly to produce!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:44
* silence * * sleep *  * perplexity * ???
It seems we are stuck at 83 out of conjectured 85 corrupted sq.
Any advice on quantities/XP value/ETA/season/or else? to try and get a response from HoC?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 01:08
Keep on sending Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 11:29
Fyi i have two cities that recieved the old crone messages and i may be holding the spots with those two cities (Wartow has previously mentioned that he thinks only 5 towns can have the quest active at the same time) 
Ill do my best to try snd proceed so someone else can use those spots if it is true about 5 towns.

I think i gotta send Spies (200 T2?) To Duraz Karag before the heart beats. Am i right?

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 13:45
When you have at least these quantities of these items in your town's inventory, send a messenger Messengers from to the great hall of Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock.

No spies, if you've already got the 'old crone' message, only a messenger!

Action on the cities holding tentacles would happen after HoC STOPS beating (apparently, from 'history') on the next New Moon.

Then tentacles would evade, neighbouring villages be attacked… unless defences, warding measures were up to an undefined level.

I'm gearing up to have in-town defenses (both military and diplomatic of any denomination) and out-of town allied forces (with diplos) all around the first circle...

Vault up, Allembine Scribes, ...

If any other pre-trouble measures come into your prospects, let's share the idea, and implement.

(Meanwhile, let's find a way to waken HoC soon!  The armies I postiioned, as a test, on the three temples, might head back before 'beating', if we don't succeed in raising havoc! )

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 14:08
Thanks for the update on what I need to be doing. Messengers will be sent today from one of the towns. Mainly because i dont want to have 2 towns holding tentacles that try to escape.

I am going to attempt blocking the tentacles with other towns and using terraforms and my own towns to do so.

Oh  and Hopper: If Audrey doesn't beat before your amies are set to return, send new ones before other ones leave? Cheers mate

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 14:34
Thanks for the support!

I'll try and send a send a new batch on the temples, in order to have occupation armies if/when HoC starts beating…

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 17:26
Armies sent back to occupy for the next fortnight... (2 out of 3 temples — the South one is occupied by another player)

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 11:56
Armies set to occupy two of the three temples (another alliance set on the trird) for the next fortnight…

Sending other armies to HoC, but help is obviously needed to waken Audrey, numbers, XP, frequence, time of arrival, I've no clue about what could trigger the last sq./activiity! Confused

Posted By: Grimar
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 05:12
Orc here! Sent a batch of diplos to the heart. I assumed that more tentacles have grown? Or is that a generic message?

Rumour reports that after your units disappeared in the Corrupted Lands, more land became twisted and dark. Verdant jungle has become infested with putrid fungus and dark creepers, as though the destruction of your forces had fuelled the spread of the corruption to nearby lands.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by Grimar Grimar wrote:

Orc here! Sent a batch of diplos to the heart. I assumed that more tentacles have grown? Or is that a generic message?

Thx!

It doesn't seem HoC reacted, atm.
You can check on the growth of tentacles thnaks to a spreadsheet regularly updated:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KAj9waudZUlRQn9Vv9ODe9RWwV6awkwQa6C5fNbxTzM/edit#gid=700826357" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KAj9waudZUlRQn9Vv9ODe9RWwV6awkwQa6C5fNbxTzM/edit#gid=700826357

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 07:52
Interesting experiment from Princely: sovereignty II set on temple @ -990|-824 in Kumala

Would the last three squares missing be the temple sq.?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 18:28
Audrey still needs donations.  All races encouraged!  The final three squares take a large quantity of donations before she activates.  The hope is that once activation is close more people will contribute to the effort.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 18:50
any idea about the amounts to be sent?

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 01:24
Probably some kind of Fibonacci number - to the 83 step would be 61,305,790,790,721,611,591! So maybe something else. Some folks think it's about getting different races. Wartow - what's your thinking these days?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 04:06
Originally posted by Asvenger Asvenger wrote:

Probably some kind of Fibonacci number - to the 83 step would be 61,305,790,790,721,611,591! So maybe something else. Some folks think it's about getting different races. Wartow - what's your thinking these days?

Send more elves and dorfs.  The final push is a big one!

-------------

Posted By: Grimar
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 14:23
Wow, that is a big number Shocked
So far 13k T1 orc scouts have been sent from me. Do we have a datasheet calculating how many units we have been sending?

-------------
Grimar of ORCS

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 17:51
Originally posted by Grimar Grimar wrote:

Wow, that is a big number Shocked
So far 13k T1 orc scouts have been sent from me. Do we have a datasheet calculating how many units we have been sending?

This would be difficult to maintain as participation would be optional.  I'm going to guess that the effort will be on hold until after the winter tournament.

-------------

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 06:21
After a comment by Snagglepuss in GC I decided to see what happens if you send trade units to corrupted squares. Since I had some un-needed cotters in my alts town as well as some miners and vans I used that as the base of operations. Below are the messages I got.

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 20:17
Audrey's Beating!
[20:10]<System> ** News flash: The Circle of Five report the sudden appearance of an unnatural undercurrent in the magics of Illyria.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 20:52
Send an IGM to me if your alliance is willing to join in a NAP and send military reinforcements to those cities needing help from the "swift and ruinous" onslaught.  Reinforcement would only be necessary for those who have advanced beyond the stage of at least 5x per race tentacles, Fortune Teller spying, and Duraz Karag messengering.  

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 10:01
I'll gear up two cities (4x5 tentacles, visit to Duraz Karag acknowledged, vault, etc.) for the next step, when Audreys stops, next new moon arises and - possibly - tentacles get restive and try to escape.
  • I'm going to garrison each of the cities with both (as high as possible, allied or own) armies and diplos of mine of various denominations in town
  • I'm going to set 8 occupying forces (2 divs, 1 with commander and T1 defense, 1 with a set of T1 diplos of every denomination…) around each of the cities…
  • any ideas to add sthg about this basic setup?
btw, one city with my elf account, IbnBattuta, one with my dwarf alt (or the reverse ;-) alt-wise ?) Ada…

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 11:22
"""Interesting""" feature! sending from a city set close to the temples:
 outgoing: e.g. adv scouts, 18sq. away, ETA less than 3§ mins...
 incoming:r eturning corrupted units and melders ETA?! more than 14hrs !!!

Mmh! devs and Illy authorities, any hint about this?

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 15:52
anybody with elementals in garrison? Couldn't it be interesting to send them to a relevant active HoC temple?

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 18:46

anybody with elementals in garrison? Couldn't it be interesting to send them to a relevant active HoC temple?

It has been done.
All gifted troops have been tried.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 21:05
Please let me know if you receive the "horror has stirred" message.  I suspect they might come once we exit the current moon phase (full moon).

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 17:22
I'm bracing up for a (potential) action against 2 cities (one dwarf, one elf)
  • storing 4x5 tentacles
  • visited Fortune Teller
  • visited Duraz Karag
  • received the Old Crone
  • garrisoned with defending military, and a lot of diplos of every denomination (with a lot of T1 thieves)
I have built a vault in each one, keeping armies, one commander, equipped against undead, exotics…
I surround them with 8 occupying armies, one cdr, elite defending divs + one div with a set of every T1 diplo (2 units each at least).

Hoping the setting to prevent evasion of the tentacles…

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 17:45
But has ANYONE received the "horror has stirred" message?  If the devs have extended that time (between Audrey awakening and the "horror" IGM) then it is appreciated... but it is leaving me with the belief that I'm no longer on the right track to take the next step in this quest.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 17:48
not yet got that! just taking care to be ready if the devs trigger sthg early!

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 14:46
Interesting feature I hadn't heard of:

Incoming Melders/corrupted units are immune to Woard of detruction:
An army of the Undead was seen approaching the outskirts of your city, and passed by your defensive wards as though they were not there.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 15:57
Ward of Destruction…

n.b. commander garrisoned was equipped with Possessed Falchion, deemed to be +45% against undead;

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 01:37
Dungshoveleux will exchange Dwarf tentacles in batches of 5 1:1 with other races.
There are currently 30 up for trading so 6 deals to be made.
Elves and Orcs preferred.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 21:55
Audrey's inactive again.  Did anyone receive ANY messages?  I got nothing.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 23:05
Nothing here either, but I think the order I did my step in was wrong and I should have sent the duraz karag spies before audrey started beating. Didn't do that.
I did send spies after audrey started beating with the crone towns, which I have 2 of.

::EDIT::
Didn't we at one point talk about having our diplo/army/van spam arrive on the full moon with the +7 mana bonus? Did anyone do that?

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 15:39
no message in my two qualifying cities either, but I remember that int last sequence of Audrey activities:
  • you had to conduct research and qualify for the 'discovery' while Audrey was inactive
  • you could only get tentacles while Audrey was beating (then trade with other races) to build the sets
  • 'restive' tentacles would be activated a short while after Audrey ceased beating (probably on the 1st full moon after sleep time
So I'd advise to keep an eye on the calendar, and gear up ditto cities for
  • containment of tentacles inside vaults/inventory
  • defense against a potential 'swift and powerful' undescript menace

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 02:56
iirc, people have been waiting for the Swift Menace for something like 5 years now

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:35
while waiting to see if next moon phases trigger any activity,
I tried sending explorative missions from my qualified cities for the next step:
  • to Duraz Karag (both center and threshold)
    no different feedback from the 'successful' scouting/messengers
  • to HoC center
    no different feedback, the usual your troops disappeared, etc.
and, obviously, no warning messages about pending catastrophy!

Best regards let's go on challenging Illy's myseries ;-) (or desist?)

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 07:16
The first Full Moon after HoC sleep approaches.

I wonder if some corrupt units and Melders are still on the move.
Is there any player still waiting for these?

Could activation of the 'evasion phase' be postponed till all Melders are spent?

Posted By: MacheteV97
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 18:54
Yes, I am still waiting.
My last attack is 1 day and 21 hours away!

-------------
Once orc, always orc!

https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/387788" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 14:07
Checking on forums archive about moon phases, I dug out the following post:
Freyja View Drop Down

New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote&nbsp;Freyja https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/new_reply_form.asp?Quote=1&PID=96745&PN=4&TR=38" rel="nofollow - Quote   Post Reply https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/new_reply_form.asp?PID=96745&PN=4&TR=38" rel="nofollow - Reply
https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7037&PID=96745&title=feeding-the-corruption#96745" rel="nofollow">Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2017 Jan 10 at 13:12
Tentacles escaped from towns on the 1st NEW moon after the heart stopped beating, and the New Moon is mentioned in the system message that players got when that happened.

Other parts of the quest could be based on other moon phases though. I wouldn't rule it out.

I totally agree with Rill that people are not going to want to send the best commanders, and they tell me so. All the time. That's like the first thing some people say to me when I'm talking about feeding the heart, like before I get a wise ideas or anything. They are also not going to send units that were tourney prizes. Although, Nesse did send his elemental units and they are the only thing that has ever come back.

Someone said, here in a forum thread, that they figured it took 250K of attack to corrupt a square, and didn't think it was based on the number of units. I sent an army with slightly over 250K attack (about 30K kobolds) and nothing happened. I've sent several of those and nothing happened. I tried upgrading heroism and close quarter penetration (for spear unit attack), and sent another army with 250K of attack, but with a commander fully upgraded for attack skills and less troops. Nothing. And many others have said similar things and tried things like I did. So, I'm not convinced that it is attack, and think it's an insane amount of units.

A lot of us have been talking lately about the moon phases and a coordinated arrival, so let's do it. The next full moon is February 11 and we can do a coordinated arrival for February instead of sending on the 1st. Many of us will need to send in the first few days of the month anyway, so it won't really be that different from what was already planned.

Let's go with 00:01 on Feb 11 as the arrival date and time, and we'll see what happens.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 19:28
Full Moon, first night after HoC 'dormition'…

All set in my two test cities…

But, most probably, from previous 'Audrey events', we should wait for the next New Moon.

Any relevant message, anybody, meanwhile?

-------------
aka ibn(whatever), or computer science developers…

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 22:01
If its NEW moon then we still have 2 weeks to wait.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:40
Full moon is over.
Has anybody received a notification or message about the tentacles?

Seemingly, nobody!
So, now, we should prepare for the next New Moon, as last chance to get some info about the mystery.
(btw, it would be useful to compile whatever info we got about the last period of activity, dates, moon phases, rates of corrupt units, etc.)

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 15:40
if nothing (meaning 'NOTHING!' :-) ) ) happens next New Moon, I'll venture and petition the devs about  the relevance of the mystery…

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 23:37
I'd like to report that I have nothing to report.  :(

-------------

Posted By: zolvon
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:16
Ditto

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:04
lol to everybody wthout any report!

Let's barce up for next New Moon, and if not any symptom of any activity, place questions to the devs?

Best to all,

Hopper (etc.)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:21
*brace up

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 07:11
New moon is on.

No sign of activity here, as yet.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 07:38
Waxing crescent...

I guess I can cancel any disposition set to progress and solve the mystery.

Has anybody noticed any rational for this situation?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 17:12
Full  moon…

No sign of activity.

• Did we miss a feature triggering the evasion of tentacles during the previous episodes?
  • Was it hand managed by the devs?
  • Is the algorithm broken?

Any idea, anubody?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 18:20
Full moon is over.

Nobody mentioned any activity.

My opinion is that we should consider the topic as closed, and stop trying to solve the riddle.
One more fool's errand!

Illy devs have already shown their ability to launch tracks, and not implement. Disappointing!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 18:27
I need proof that this is solvable. Devs could solve it and put up champion armor for 10billion in centrum juat to prove its doable.
Otherwise I agree with Hopper. Case closed.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 15:36
Oldwolf told me about an exchange on GC about HoD:
Owning elementals (won from an old tourney) and garrisoning them in the city keeping the corrupt tentacles could be a condition in order to trigger the step of escape.

Has any vet or seasoned player any information about this?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 23:06
I am not under the impression that elementals do anything for or against this mystery.  

I am under the impression that it is a huge waste of time given the number of players required to build up and activate Audrey and the lack of feedback when you have the tentacles that do not escape.

It is also frustrating that the Old Crone won't visit certain cities any longer...  

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 19:23
I still can't get the Old Crone to show up.  Has anyone else had success in 2022?

FYI.  On Jan-20 2022 FIFTY SIX new squares were corrupted.  At this point only the three temples await their corruption and I suspect the New Moon phase that is near will trigger the awakening. 

How do FIFTY SIX new squares get corrupted at a single time?  I don't think it is anything that a single player can do and I'm not aware of any massive efforts in which another alliance dumped that quantity of troops into the quest.

Let the conspiracy theories commence.

-------------

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 21:35
The developers are Up To Something.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:17
Something is obviously brewing up!

No success from any of two accounts with the third message of the old crone to send to Duraz Karag (while I did get in each the message "I'll come back to you...".

Other cue: on Saturday/Sunday the world map datafile again had wrong coords for the 8 FT pos. (It is back to correct, this Monday 31st.)

The corrupt places did appear suddenly: I didn't see any massive incoming these last weeks (I've set a city North of HoD, and keep sending herbalists, skinners across the place, and armies killing critters).

I'll brace up in order to try and keep my tentacles in store, even if it's rather inconvenient during the winter tourney.

I'm considering occupying one of the temples with an army, just for the test.
Any advice, experience are welcome!

Hopper on the Forum, players nicknames: Ada, IbnBattuta

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net