Print Page | Close Window

06NOV18 - New User Interface (UIv4) Alpha Test

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10553
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 20:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 06NOV18 - New User Interface (UIv4) Alpha Test
Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Subject: 06NOV18 - New User Interface (UIv4) Alpha Test
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 16:18

NEW USER INTERFACE (UIv4) ALPHA TEST VERSION (INCOMPLETE!)

Hi everyone,

INTRODUCTION
We're delighted to announce that we're opening up a new User Interface (UI) for testing by the general community.  This new UI (UIv4) is a significant enhancement to the (frankly rather old UIv3!) existing user interface, in terms of visual impact, the amount of information you can get from the world map, better usability and performance, and enhanced functionality in areas ranging from chat to saved map locations.

The new UI is a direct result of development we've been carrying out for Age of Ascent (AoA)'s UI, and has significantly enhanced technologies churning away in the background, with multi-tier architectures and improved networking and distribution capability.

4K for UIv4
The new UIv4 is fully responsive for any resolution; including 4K:

https://assets.illyriad.net/uiv4/illyriad_4k_full.png" rel="nofollow">Click for fullsize Illyriad in 4K
Click image for full size (18MB image)

ALPHA VERSION, INCOMPLETE!
The new UIv4 is not complete - we haven't yet converted most of the functional 'sub'-pages into the new content window; but we'll be doing that in swift order, to the point that the new UI can work entirely standalone.  You will find many pages linked from the main menu are currently placeholders.

We're going to run the two UIs (the current UIv3 and the new UIv4) side-by-side for quite some time, so if people prefer to continue to use the v3 UI they can do so for the foreseeable future.  At some point we're going to want to deprecate UIv3 - but there's a considerable amount of testing that needs to happen first, and we're also very much aware that players use third party code assistants such as Durctools, and want to continue to do so.  Hopefully we can assist the writers of third party tools to migrate over to UIv4, and we'll be getting in touch with them shortly to work out how best we can help.

THIS UIv4 IS LIVE
Please bear in mind that this new UI is 'live'.  Any action you perform in the new v4 UI will also occur in the old UIv3, and vice-versa.  It's not a separate game in any way; it's an improved interface to the same game data.

FEEDBACK
We'd very much like your feedback, suggestions and bug reports; please submit these either as petitions in the old UIv3 - or as comments in the relevant subject thread in the forum.  We really, really want to hear what you think.

We hope you enjoy the new UIv4, as it's substantially better - in practically every way - to the old version.

ACCESSING THE NEW UIv4!
To access the new UIv4, log into the current version of Illy as normal, and click here:  https://map.illyriad.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - https://map.illyriad.co.uk/

The first time you load the new UIv4, it will take a few seconds - but should then be cached thereafter.

A run-down of the major UIv4 features follows in separate posts:

1. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-new-world-map_topic10554.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 NEW WORLD MAP
  2. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-main-menu_topic10555.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 MAIN MENU
  3. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-chat-enhancements_topic10556.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 CHAT ENHANCEMENTS
  4. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-clock-season_topic10557.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 CLOCK & SEASONS
  5. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-player-information_topic10558.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 PLAYER INFORMATION
  6. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-information-popouts_topic10559.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 INFORMATION POPOUTS
  7. https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov18-uiv4-what-else_topic10560.html" rel="nofollow - UIv4 WHAT ELSE?
Hope you enjoy!

SC & The Illy Team

-------------
GM Stormcrow | http://bit.ly/rLKfoT" rel="nofollow - Twitter | http://on.fb.me/uvfajA" rel="nofollow - Facebook | http://bit.ly/rBzlzf" rel="nofollow - G+

Replies:
Posted By: Wartow
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 16:35
Is Tensmoor okay?

-------------

Posted By: Fanuidhol
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 16:45
Looks cool Cool

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 16:59
Looks to be working in Chrome but not in Firefox.  At least for me.

Posted By: Grom
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 17:43
My map zoom does not appear to be working, while others in GC report that it does for them. Running Chrome on Chrome OS. Both buttons and slider are non responsive. 

Posted By: Fanuidhol
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 17:50
A few comments from a hunter vs. the older map is that the NPC encampents are very difficult to distinguish from one another and impossible when zoomed out, plus it doesn't tell you the type or group size when clicked on within city visibility. A remedy might be to change the size of the encamped NPC flag to match that of the moving units. Also, being able to use the directional arrow on the right hand side of the old map 2 clicks north, south, east, or west for a completely new area to scan for NPC on the hunting map is quite useful rather than click and drag.

Interesting, it works for me in Firefox...

Originally posted by Lagavulin Lagavulin wrote:

Looks to be working in Chrome but not in Firefox.  At least for me.

Posted By: Thirion
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 18:08
Originally posted by Fanuidhol Fanuidhol wrote:

A few comments from a hunter vs. the older map is that the NPC encampents are very difficult to distinguish from one another and impossible when zoomed out, plus it doesn't tell you the type or group size when clicked on within city visibility.

I agree, its hard to see NPC encampments.

In addition you cannot see the current level of your Sov which would make claiming Sov even more tedious.

Other than that the new Map looks amazing! Smile

Posted By: Alain_is_Ulysses
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 20:42
If you click on a square, you have all the usual options (center map, send resources, send diplomats, send army) EXCEPT for "harvest resources".

Posted By: Marquesta
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 21:18
I've read through all of the info links, and didn't see mention of forums or IGMs. 
Are there plans to enhance these features as well? 
The only issue I have with it so far, only played with it for a couple hrs, is the chat window. ITG has a very active chat, not sure I like that it covers the map when it's open... Will definitely take some getting used to.
It looks awesome, well done Devs! Clap

-------------
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 21:28
If you click on the '?' to the right, it shows the values of whatever square your mouse is on, in addition to ownership and sov level if applicable.

-------------
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 21:43
I have also grown very dependent on the info shown in the city drop down, hoping all the same information will be shown in the city drop down in the new UI

-------------
~~Marquesta

Posted By: KarL Aegis
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 03:17
New Biomes! 
Steppe
Mediterranean
Tropical Forest
Fresh Water
Ocean
Shallow Salt Water
Rainforest
Tidal Water
Prairie
Semi-arid Desert
Xeric Shrubland
Tundra
Dead Water
Warpe...
Monsoon Fore...
Arid Desert
Boreal Forest
Taiga
Ice Sheet
Polar...

-------------
I am not amused.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 03:39
Originally posted by KarL Aegis KarL Aegis wrote:

New Biomes! 
Steppe
Mediterranean
Tropical Forest
Fresh Water
Ocean
Shallow Salt Water
Rainforest
Tidal Water
Prairie
Semi-arid Desert
Xeric Shrubland
Tundra
Dead Water
Warpe...
Monsoon Fore...
Arid Desert
Boreal Forest
Taiga
Ice Sheet
Polar...

Hey Karl,

These biomes have actually been in place since we introduced biomes!  They're used by the Nature NPCs for spawning/nesting/feeding preferences etc.

For combat purposes etc, we do only still have the jungle/desert/arctic biomes.

Best,

SC

Posted By: Yitshak
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 08:05
Holy moley !

What an awesome upgrade. The new Ui - with the icons around the main map area is great. It gives a much bigger viewing area, yet still allows access to the game features. It will take a while to get used to it, but it is, imho, a major improvement - on many levels.

Obviously, as this is an alpha release, there are many bits missing (like audrey) but it looks good so far.

In the UIv3 the drop down town menu shows warning symbols for low resources, incoming hostiles etc. I do not see this in the new UI (I did test this with a city running -ve in a resource type). I'm guessing, (and hoping) this is on the list.

I did find one "glitch" where, after resizing (via F11) to access other tabs, the whole screen was shifted up and the highlighted map square was about 3 squares above the cursor (in both full screen and with tabs showing). 

I logged out and back in - same situation, so I closed the tab and reloaded - problem went away. I have tried to replicate this without success, so it's one of those intermittent faults (sorry). Hopefully it was a one off, possibly due to my poor internet (3g mobile phone network) but it's possible others have also had this.

Anyway, outstanding upgrade, many thanks to all. Clap

-------------
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.

Posted By: glumetzul
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 08:40
I'm gonna give you some honest feedback and I don't think you're gonna like it but here's for the best.

1. I'd say that, if the old UI was stuck 10 years in the p, this is just 3-4 years behind the present. It's not exactly ugly but it's not pretty either. I find it difficult to read some of the texts like the resources quantity at the top. Anyway browser games are well known for having overloaded UI and I was already playing the game with the old interface so obviously this aspect isn't really that important for me.

2. You added some animations like showing/hiding the menu on the left and showing/hiding the towns list. That's cute but I think they're a bit slow. I think they are set at 1000ms and this takes a while. If a user is in a hurry and just wants to click on the name of another town, those 1000ms are a nuisance. Generally I use 300ms in cases like this but it's not my place to call it. I just think they ought to be faster.

3. It doesn't seem to remember my option about what to show and what to hide on the map. I usually keep the terrain hidden and I did it here as well but as soon as I refreshed the page, the terrain was all back.

4. Those 3 panels on the right that I can chose to hide are nice. However if I decide to show only the first and the third then they will be separated by the icon for the second so there is a solid ~80px space between them that I can't really use but it doesn't look good either. I would suggest that the icons for the panels that I keep hidden to stick to the bottom or to the top and let the opened panels just stick to each other. And it would be lovely to be able to increase the height of one of them if I don't have all three visible. The notifications would be great to have always opened but only if I can have it a bit larger.

5. The navigations between cities really sucks. Not only do I have to wait one second before the cities panel is fully shown but now I also have internal scrolling in there. I only have a mere 7 towns, probably 8 soon, but I can't click on my 8th without scrolling there. That alone is a good reason for me to stick to the old interface as long as I can. Also, I use a lot the arrows to navigate between cities. Even now, when there is no animation or scrolling, in 75% of the cases I would just go to each of my cities to give orders and add things to the building queue so I'd use the left / right arrows. I might not be the only one who found thos arrows really really useful.

6. I have a daily routine of checking all squares that are a certain distance from my main town. For that I used a specific map zoom level and those arrows that would scroll the map only a certain number of squares with each click. I cannot do this anymore because there are no more arrows for navigating the map. There is a chance that I can get used to this new map and benefit from having it full width and height so I can do the same routine even if I am stuck with drag & drop. But it would be nice to know I still have my arrow navigation as a backup. Perhaps you could intercept the user keypress and translate the arrows from the keyboard to the old arrow navigation so you don't really have to add new buttons (actually that would be a lot more awesome).

7. I seriously dislike the way you open up old pages in an internal popup. I hope this is just temporary, until you get to redesign all the old pages but that popup design that goes in line with the new UI makes me fear that you consider this to be a permanent solution.

8. While we're at it, is it just me or the building / research queue is missing? I mean, I can see that it's missing from the city map but I don't see some clever pannel hiden somewhere else. I guess this is work in progress since there's no way you would have decided to remove the building queue from a city building game :D

9. I really really hope you plan to release a fully responsive version that would adapt to mobile devices as well. I'm not desperate but it would be cool to check out Illy while on my mobile every once in a while. And there are tons of possibly new users you could get by having it adapted for mobiles and then release a native Android / iOS app that simply acts as a web browser by loading the mobile version of the UI. When I first read about a new responsive UI I was certain that mobile responsiveness was part of the deal, but then I clicked on the town icon and that ugly unresponsive popup showed up and my heart just sank. I still hope you plan this for the near future.

That would be all for now. This is obivously not usable as the main UI at this point, once it will be I plan to switch to it and perhaps I can find more good / bad points.

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 16:43
Wow! This is beautiful! 

Could you also please make the mini-map window on the bottom right resizable? 

Some map features (like the Wolgast swamp) are easily identifiable in a minimap which aids navigation by clicking on it. That is how I remember most cities (east to the swamp is so-and-so guys, beside the lake in the desert is so-and-so tradehub etc)

Posted By: Herod
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 20:59
        Nice !!
.       New  interface  is  extremely  more  comfortable , enjoyable  and  beautiful ! I  will completely  appreciate  it .
.       I  hope  only , that  some  not  very  far  day  you  will  also  make  more  complicated  also  a  whole  game - in  way  in  which  we  will  have  a  much  more  abilities  at  game  and  at  politics  and all  actions .
.       Great  modernization , thank  you  for  it .

Posted By: Tucic
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 23:00
I am just going over the new UI and most of the buttons and everything seems in order but the Map feature in the bottom right does not seem to be working, buttons and slider. I am a Chrome user and if this has already been addressed forgive me.

I also cannot seem to find my profile page with my BIO, friends lists... etc. I have clicked on my portrait to no avail assuming this would be the way to open the profile section.

Love the map set up in the background but seems like some of the icons are a little too crowded for my taste but that is nothing major to the game mechanics. 

When I open Global chat the most recent message is blocked by my tool bar when I play on browser. I do not know if you are gearing more towards a steam layout over browser but thought you should know if that was not addressed. 

Overall a very nice upgrade and only a few issues. 

Decent work Devs!

Posted By: Tucic
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 23:06
Forgot the mail button is not working as well. 

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 17:12
Wow, I'm sorry but it's not something I like at all.   I'll get a list together but it's not something I want to use.  

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Posted By: fortebraccio
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 17:19
At first sight I like the map on the whole screen.

Sadly I must say that when trying to do and focus on something I don't feel at ease.

All is too dark and hard to distinguish.

Hopefully there is time to improve that!

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 17:32
The cloth texture background looks good - a work of art. Thumbs Up

The colour difference between allied sov (pink) and enemy sov (orange) is a bit too similar, while the stronger colours of moving units are much clearer.

The red "box" in the mini map does not correspond to the the area displayed by the main map. The centre of the map appears to line up with the top of the "box" (Y axis)  The X axis looks ok. (full screen mode)

When not in full screen mode, the red box does not show in the mini map and therefore you can't navigate to the south by clicking in the mini map.

No diplo units are visible in the new UI yet.

Trade units are now displayed for both outward and return journeys, Thumbs Up  although while harvesting they display as race type, same as a military encampment, rather than gatherer type.

Coming along nicely Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 21:38
I think we need to wait for the UIv4 to be properly finished.  The feedback can assist in refining and checking it. Can't fault the devs for asking the players to test it out. Only time will tell if this is akin to the microsoft menus vs ribbons saga in terms of user acceptance. I hate the ribbons BTW and still use word and excel from xp days. Once more of it is plumbed in I'll take it for a proper test drive.

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 22:27
I agree with Dung and am reserving my overall decision on it until a lot more of it is finished. I do like that we are being given a chance at this stage to review and comment on it. It also gives me a great opportunity to look at possible tools and how I can code them which in turn means that (hopefully) there will be at least core tools available when it goes fully live.

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 13:43
Can you leave an option for those who want to continue using the old UI, please?

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Posted By: Whakomatic
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 19:09
I do not agree with "wait until it is done to provide feedback" as the whole point of an alpha is to get reactions and comments from us, the players.

For the good:
Full size screen is clearly awesome. The speed of load and scroll is great. Stained glass UI elements are cool and interesting. Using popups for all menus makes sense considering the UI is full screen.

Now the comments. I wont mention obvious things that are missing like screens & choices and focus instead on what is currently implemented.

1) Left click on map opening an "action menu" popup is annoying. I just want to move the map around and randomly clicking on it is habit since it is the entire screen. Windows UI paradigm is to open that menu with a right click instead and left click is just distracting.

2) The "action menu" showing the terrain type is redundant to the upper right "current square" information area so it can be removed without losing anything. I would just keep it as the right click action menu to send diplo, troop, etc.

3) The "action menu" should remove "send resources" unless it is on something it is possible to send resources to. Same applies to other relevant actions.

4) With the map being so large and easily scrolled, a "center in map" choice is not useful enough to dedicate an entry in the menu.

5) When you hover over a sov square it gives information about it in the "map info" area, specifically the city name. However when you hover over the city itself, the info area does not show the city name.

6) Moving units and camps are not clickable. Even if you dont have any details about them my impulse is to click them and the fact I cannot feels annoying.

Posted By: Timrath
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 23:26
1. It's virtually impossible to distinguish sov levels and encampments on the map past a certain zoom level.

2. The background texture on the map is too noisy. The pattern burns after images into my retinas that persist for almost a minute after looking away.
The old map looks much cleaner.

3. The map doesn't remember the last position and zoom level.

4. The icons on the left are semi transparent, which adds more noise to their already noisy design.

5. There's no way to resize the popup panel. It has always bothered me how you can't resize the notifications panel in the old version, but now that you made it even smaller, it has become completely useless. If it's to remain a fixed size, it needs to be at least 4x as tall. That, or be freely resizeable.

Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:05
Initial comments:

-There are obviously a lot of submenus in overview and city map that don't exist yet. Search, friends, mail, etc. also seem to not work yet. The more I look, tons of menus don't work or exist yet so I won't comment more on those. I do hope every menu we currently have gets shoved in somewhere--over the years a lot of handy things have been added.

-Random center drift by zooming out and in again is weird/bad.

-Hard to Tell NAP/confed/etc. I believe the colors are messed up. I see my town green-ish, confed green, some NAPs green but some are yellow for some reason? My alliance towns are now.. pink? FYI, my color vision is normal. Colors need to be distinct and consistent.

-Please add the standard options in a reachable place to remove/add terrain/encampments/towns etc. The new map is pretty but even the normal simple map is too crowded for many purposes so it is handy to turn things off when you don't want them.

-Because menus can now be left all over the screen, super useful would be a button in the upper corner to shrink/close all menus. This way if you want to see the whole screen you could do so without having to close/shrink 3 different menus. We are used to being able to go to map with 1 button press so this would be similar. Also, is there any reason you can't open a city view and a trade view at once? In the current UI there is no room, but in the new UI there is clearly room if you have a big monitor. It would be also nice if we could resize the non-chat menus, though the multiple windows open at once would be handy even without that.

-As others have said, it is slow/kind of hard to switch between cities right now.

-When the city view window pops up, it is a bit jarring visually and retro looking even though it is what we are used to seeing. The other menus which currently exist (such as the training menu) meld reasonably well with the new art/UI. The city view though really just looks like older art in a square in a bigger square in an even bigger square of a different style. For some reason you suddenly expect to be able to move around the city view or zoom in etc. I don't really have a suggestion here, just a comment that it is aesthetically jarring.

-Overall, it looks pretty. The animation when you are automatically sweeping along the map to a location is gorgeous. And the long npc arrows are nice. Once it is finalized I think it will take awhile to get used to and many people will complain because it is different, but I bet most people will like it when they get used to it.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:18
Originally posted by Whakomatic Whakomatic wrote:

I do not agree with "wait until it is done to provide feedback" as the whole point of an alpha is to get reactions and comments from us, the players.

I concur. In fact GM Stormcrow actually asked for feedback - 

FEEDBACK
We'd very much like your feedback, suggestions and bug reports; please submit these either as petitions in the old UIv3 - or as comments in the relevant subject thread in the forum.  We really, really want to hear what you think.

This is a massive update, and this is just the alpha test, the first look at the partially complete UI. There are bound to be things that don't work as expected, and the more eyes on, the quicker any issues are picked up. I notice some of the issues previously mention have already been addressed Clap

So, a bit more feedback.

Sov. 

The sov is hard to see on many forest tiles without the border, especially yellow or green colours. 

There are some inconsistencies in sov colour. Whilst blue for own cities and pink-ish for alliance cities looks consistent, the green for confed cities is not. Most confed cities have green sov, but some have yellow, even from within the same alliance. In fact there are a couple of cities I see with both yellow and green sov tiles.

Watching all the activity during a siege is much more engaging, with much more information on screen than before. Seeing the race of moving units, their diplomatic status as well as the eta and target tile when close is a nice touch. Of course, when there are a lot of movements close together, some of the details are hard to see. Fog of war I guess.

-------------

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 17:33
Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

Can you leave an option for those who want to continue using the old UI, please?

Yes, completely.

Though your feedback on the new UI and what you don't like about it; or what could be better, would be very valuable.

Posted By: Wraith
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 17:33
A little thing that I don't like is that many textual elements of the new GUI became impossible to select as text and copy to the clipboard, making it not so convenient to share some info to other players, e.g. a line with your stored basic resources.

Posted By: rajput
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 18:29
Hi Folks,

Overall I'm pretty happy with the direction taken for the new interface. Super liked the idea of map being main background or the table and we are simply opening and working on different scrolls on top of it. I dig that. ๐Ÿง 

Interface is fluid to work with when loaded completely, but there are jitters and delays when working at a pace. ๐Ÿ˜”

I really like how sovereignty is depicted on map. Very easy for me to follow. ๐Ÿ‘

I have issue with the small strategic map at bottom left of the screen. The strategic map is collapsed a bit and does not focus correctly. However, on MS Edge there are no Zoom in/out buttons. Plus it seems we cannot zoom using mouse/touch-pad or touch-screen.

Like few players have already pointed out, the compass-like-navigational button in UIv3 are quite useful. I think they can be added without cluttering the the interface in similar fashion as the Map Options dialogue box.

Similarly the town scroll/change buttons. A very small thing but very useful as it helps speed up the click-away routine passes which all of us make many times on daily basis. ๐Ÿ˜

Also on map screen, I cannot see harvesters harvesting a square. I can see them traveling to the square but after that they are not reflected on the map. ๐Ÿคจ

Cannot see the NPC camp size... This totally kills the purpose of having Foreign Office in town, if one have to scout out every camp to approx. their size. ๐Ÿ˜’

Cannot see diplo units activity on the map. ๐Ÿ˜•

Other than that... Love the in-game music... So now I can rest my Nightwish and Buckethead collections. ๐Ÿ˜

-------------

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...

Posted By: Arcania
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 07:41
Looks great at present.  World map much easier for these old eyes to see!

Posted By: Ruarc
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 18:50
Some feedback on the new UI.

Good stuff
  • I love how far you can zoom out.
  • Being able to see moving armies without zooming all the way in is excellent.
  • Sovereignty claims are (mostly) far clearer.

Bad stuff
  • It is significantly slower to load and use than the current UI. Even once cached it's not particularly fast to load the next time. Definitely smoother on the map though.
  • It is much harder to see camped armies, and what they are, than the current UI. This is true even when zoomed in.
  • The sovereignty claims of your own towns (and towns NAP'd to yours) are difficult to see, and basically impossible at the most zoomed out level. It should be just as easy to see your own sov at the most zoomed out level as it is neutral towns.

Other stuff
  • The city drop down menu could be longer. It only displays 4 and a half cities at a time. For those of us with a large number of cities (I've 20) the extra scrolling is a small inconvenience.
  • Why is the sov of other players in the alliance pink? Like... wut?
  • There are no tooltips for the resources displayed along the top, and a tooltip for the season and day/night indicator would be useful.
  • It might just take some getting used to, but the graphics used to represent caravans look funny.
  • The icons showing that you have a message or notification don't seem to work. I presume that they're in progress?
  • What is the logic behind the '1 other camp'? Would it not make more sense to be something like 'X camp(s)'?
  • It would be nice to be able to zoom out on the strategic map as well.
  • Will we be able to set our own 'locations' on the 'locations' list?
  • Could an option be added so that all of the user-elements of the UI be hidden and we're just shown the map?

Posted By: Mordok
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 20:51
Nice but please make it playable on a mobile device..i need a excuse to buy a new smartphone eheh

Posted By: R88
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 08:52
hi guys i love the new UIv4 just when we view the towns there is no next button an i love the next button when i cycle through my towns to see what is happening  

-------------

Posted By: elrond
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 00:44
Sorry, I am not a fan of this new UI. I have been going through it side by side with the current interface.

I will echo what others have said regarding the NPC encampments, it is very hard to recognize them and you must zoom in to see what they are - which rather diminishes the cool bit about how far out you can zoom.

In general, I find the new interface very hard to read and decipher. It is very dark and that makes it very hard to read or evaluate the icons. I also find the placement of the chat windows to be very poor. If you have both open it takes up a lot of screen space it ens up covering up other information.

Lastly, is there a list of what is and what isn't working? I get alot of blank screens and don't know if do to slow loading times and mentioned by others or if it just hasn't been done yet.

Thanks.

Posted By: Rusty
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 04:21
I have just recently joined Illyriad. When I tried to type in global chat it said I had been silenced.

Posted By: Rusty
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 04:23
I have just recently joined the Illyriad. When I tried to type in global chat, it said I have been silenced. My account name is Rust Lord.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 08:38
Are you actually using the new UI? https://map.illyriad.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - https://map.illyriad.co.uk/
If not then this is the wrong place to post this.
If your first post contained words/phrases that are not allowed then it may well have triggered the automatic ban system causing you to be silenced for an hour.

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:42
You also need to have a library to speak in GC.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: Cronica
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 21:57
Keep moving. I want to see soon the new UI completly working. Good work there.

Posted By: Hiei
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 05:40
can we please have the complete version. I cant even send out caravans or military to another city.

Posted By: Taz
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 04:42
So .. is this coming out for Christmas? Big smileBig smileBig smile

Posted By: Frodo
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 21:00
I hope so Taz. We don't want to have it the same fate as this preview

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 20:55
And this is why we don't share our plans, ideas, thoughts, or works-in-progress ever, anymore ;) 

Posted By: Frodo
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 17:53
Good decision!

I like to login on Illy and read the Herald we have a new feature available then to read something on this forum about an update going to happen soon. 

Glad to hear there is work in progress ;)

-------------

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 11:01
@GM Stormcrow
The Great Book of Illyriad must be shown to the public once again, and when I say public, I of course mean publicrelations.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: Bill_Cipher
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by Taz Taz wrote:

So .. is this coming out for Christmas? Big smileBig smileBig smile

Which christmas?

-------------
Let fate chase you not me

Posted By: Cronica
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 23:32
A pity still without being able to play in the new interface, it has been more than a year that not a line of code has been added.

Posted By: Matteo
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 22:56
hey! does anybody know what's the status of this? it's such a pity it seems just abandoned :(

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 06:41
No idea Matteo but there is a very limited version of Durctools for it at https://dtuiv4.dewt.me.uk/gm/dtUIv4.user.js" rel="nofollow - https://dtuiv4.dewt.me.uk/gm/dtUIv4.user.js

It basically lets you search the larger map view for encampments/harvestable items with the results shown in a sortable table. It should be noted that this version gives you info on the actual camp size regardless of distance while on the current mao it only gives you that within your diplo visibility.

Posted By: Ordo
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 17:46
DLords razed a troll at 227/-670 in Arran. The new interface didn't show the last minutes of the attack/raze action, and kept the image and linked profile of the troll in place for longer than the old interface. The second siege camp at 226/-669 was not shown at all in UIv4.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 17:54
UI v4 shows that zero pop town both at the old location in Arran where it was razed, and at the new -78/325 location in Norweld. Relocation to newbie ring after raze was completed before 12 Sep 2022 16:27 server time.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 21:42
Subject: FW: New Settlement razed: player relocated!
Received: 12 Sep 2022 16:18
Original Message:
New Settlement, belonging to o*****III which was located at 227|-670 has been razed

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net