illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Player Created Tournaments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 17:40
New Version ready for testing
The revised database and code is now ready for testing/evaluation. I've created 4 tournaments for folks to look at and evaluate. Unfortunately all the previously submitted reports were not compatable with the new version of the database and software.

I've also added a bunch of battle reports from my main account to each of them so you can have a look at how they currently work. If you want to you can also add your own battle reports to any of them (I hope you do).

Restrictions on battle reports:
  • The battle must have taken place during the period of the tournament.
  • It must be a battle where you attack an NPC. For the purpose of this factions are not counted as NPCs.
To include a report in more than one tournament you have to add it to each separately.

The management of tournaments is currently disabled.

I'm currently working on a help file that will explain the various terms used and how the calculations are done.

All feedback/suggestions (good, bad or indiferent) are more than welcome.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 17:47
Suppose a link to it would be handy...
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 20:36
Looks great!

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 07:59
Progress report

Pretty much all my coding time is going into this and I am slowly but surely finding bugs and fixing them.

I recently had to completely re-design the database that holds the data from the submitted reports and this resulted in having to re-work all the serverside scripts that access it. Most of that is now done. During this I found some errors in my logic for parsing the XML that meant all the data stored on casualties for both sides of the battle were wrong - I'm now pretty sure I've got that sorted and will be pushing that change out very shortly.

A side effect of working on that was I also realised that a battle where the attacker lost no troops would crash the system. The cause of this is that things like the Kill Ratio are:

Defenders killed
Attackers killed
Looks inoccuous but computers really don't like trying to divide by 0. A simple solution would be to replace 0 attackers lost with 1 attackers killed when storing the report but that would destroy the integrity of the stored data so that option was discarded. I also didn't like the fact that this approach would show no difference in the ratio if the attacker lost 0 troops or 1 troop so I decided to go for 0.9 instead of 1 as the divisor.
The way the system works is that all the calculations are done by the database so that meant I had to go do a load of reading on how I could incorporate all of that into the database query. Again, pretty sure I've now got that worked out.

I've added a 'Terms Explanation' button that hopefully will explain what I mean by things like MDQ and how they affect the results. If there are any parts/terms that you're still not clear on please ask.

I'm now working on double checking and tweaking the Tournament Management part of the system. I need to make sure that this part of the system is as foolproof as possible so that those without great computer skills can also create and run tournaments.

In summary, I'm not there yet but certainly getting closer Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic