illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peace Terms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
lethargic0N3 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lethargic0N3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 10:55
Maybe I don't understand the way the game deals with it but my understanding is that the gold is not actually paid but stored in escrow.  To be paid should the agreement be broken if thats not the case I apologise.

But its certainly not the same
Mahaut View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mahaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 12:20
I remember paying H? and their allies when Vicx surrendered in the last conflict - I also don't remember thinking there was anything intrinsically "bad" "evil" or "vulture like" about having to pay to get out of a war, when you are losing and someone else is winning. 

Anyway paying H? seemed perfectly reasonable to me back then.

As does the alliances who surrendered this time paying the G/Alliance.  

The idea that the alliances winning the fight should pay back the ones who have already surrendered is not in the slightest bit logical.
It also has nothing to do with H? any more as the alliances in question made their own arrangements with the G/A and if they wish to ask for, or if the GA wished to extend, some sort of helping hand they would have to do it as individual alliances in the same way they got their surrenders organised. Such things may be seen as a courtesy, politeness, ways to mend fences between 2 formerly at war alliances, BUT they do not belong on the discussion agenda with an entirely different alliance.

End the war first - which is a matter for peace terms and is pretty much the same as its always been in every previous war. It also does not require the calling of GA alliance leaders 'Vultures' or any other form of personal insult.

Then discuss some sort of helping hands/United Nations thing (pretty unworkable from first thoughts on it but maybe doable at some basic level though personally I've never been in favour of any sort of policing of the server by any alliance or group of alliances).
Don't confuse the two and think that because they are in KP's post together they are somehow related - they are not necessarily so.
Janders View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 14:33
From a total outsider, I think there are some interesting features of this potential deal, with some parallels to actual history---
(1) A statement of surrender
(2) Some type of reparation from the losing party (i.e. 2 Billion gold from H?) [History is replete with examples of this]
(3) Some type of mutual effort at rebuilding the war losses (towns) from BOTH sides, using resources from both the winners and losers (i.e. donated permasat towns, gold from reserves).  [Perhaps our own illy version of the Marshall Plan?]
(4) Some type of long-term, international convention / body aimed at preventing future wars of this severity (i.e. an agreed upon charter not to raze more than 3 towns per player in future wars, with neutral alliances promising to render aide if this charter is broken) [Parallels to the League of Nations after WWI, or the founding of the UN...]

Anyway, I think all 4 pillars of this initial proposal are reasonable, though certainly the exact nature of each (amount of reparations, etc) would be open to negotiating!

Just a random third party opinion :)

Janders_  WoT
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 14:51
Thank you to all of those who have offered kind words and support.

It's been nice to see that the majority of responses I've received both in game and on this forum have been positive.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 15:32
KP, I greatly appreciate Harmless? making a post, instead of just commenting on others. Regardless of your intentions, this atleast shows your are attempting to do something. 

Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

4) Both sides will become the first signatories to an Illy War Convention which defines a code of conduct for alliance wars - terms such as not razing or sieging to under 2K pop, more than 30% of a players cities.

5) All signatories will work together to persuade other alliances to sign up and to prevent infractions.

A very interesting idea, but one I do not think will pan out. 

Too much abuse can be allowed by creating such a convention. 

For example, the do not siege under 2,000 pop players, means that dummy accounts can be used to take up geographically significant areas, and enemies can't do anything about it because sieging the city would be breaking the War Conventions. 

It opens up a whole new era for harassment. I think the war conventions would only work if geographic areas were claimed by a system outside of the 10 square rule. 

We would have to be clear on what the consequence of breaking War conventions are. And who will enforce them. 

Step 5 sounds like force could be used. If an alliance doesn't agree to the terms of the war conventions, they get sieged, etc. 

All of that said, I like the idea of having some mutually agreed upon guidelines for engaging in war combat. 

I think it would go along way if you worked with a few other long term alliances and players and came up with a some verbage to describe the protocols you have in mind. Once agreed upon, simply post them on the forums, and say you follow them. 

No need to try and encourage other people to follow them. let public opinion do that for you. 

Zenorra View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenorra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 19:03
The following statement does NOT reflect TCol nor the Dominion. It is meant to be a personal opinion only.

This whole war has been the most stupid war I have ever been a part of. I play Illy for the fun, and not so much for the tactics or the politics that is forced down my throat on a daily basis. I also hardly EVER read the forum because there are just too many childish people posting their idiotic opinions and trying to disguise them as 'debates'.

There seems to be a lot of 'HE'S LOOKING AT ME!' and 'He touched me!' going on here. I don't know about you guys, but I pull the car over, beat/threaten/bribe my kids, and go on with life. All of this 'He hasn't responded' and 'He said this to me!' shouldn't even be in the forums!!! All of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

The fact of this war is... EVERYONE WAS IN THE WRONG. I do mean EVERYONE. I could sit here all day and defend both sides, upset everyone, and still sleep very well tonight. Rather then stooping to that level, I WILL NOT. STOP POSTING this...stuff.. in the forums! Why do you people let things get to you so much? It's A GAME. Hellllllo?

I would really like for EVERYONE to get back to playing the game now. Not talking about playing it. This war is STUPID and I want it to go away now. You people are making Illy more about drama and politics then it should be! Message to both sides of this: STAY ON THE PATH OF PEACE AND STOP SPITTING ON EACH OTHER IN THE PLAYGROUND!
DaniSuper View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaniSuper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 19:20

Bravo! A well worthy attempt by H? towards peace. It shows that they are sincere and want the hostilities to end.

I think the terms are quite good and worthy of consideration. I dont understand the *Throwing Dirt* attitude towards KP though. As KP mentioned the terms are by no means final and are negotiable. As requested H? are paying tribute and publicily going to surrender , the two major terms demanded by the victor side.

Surely as a gesture of goodwill , an amount of gold can be given to help rebuild the victims of war. Maybe not the whole amount KP suggested, but maybe some of it as a gesture of goodwill.  Illyriad is not just a war game, and not like Evony, LoU etc where lots of worlds were added after specific time. Plus it takes a lot of time to build up in Illyriad, people cant just leave for another world, so its better to resolve conflicts in a nicer manner and not let the hatred/anger prevail. 

Even in history Good Conquerors, rebuild and facilitate the people they won against. Some might argue that its *Just a Game* but its certainly different than other online games out there. I am afraid the *Conquer and Raze* attitude might bring harm to game and destroy its uniqueness.

A spark leads to fire we all know that, if we set some bad examples, then future newcomers will be following them as well, and in time it might make Illyriad slowly just like other war games. I personally dont want to see that happening Smile

I am certainly hoping both sides come to a conclusion based on some mutual goodwill and trust and not illwill/hatred.
Anyways done with my speech Tongue

Cheers and hoping for peace!
Dani

Gemley View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 19:53
Originally posted by Zenorra Zenorra wrote:

The following statement does NOT reflect TCol nor the Dominion. It is meant to be a personal opinion only.

This whole war has been the most stupid war I have ever been a part of. I play Illy for the fun, and not so much for the tactics or the politics that is forced down my throat on a daily basis. I also hardly EVER read the forum because there are just too many childish people posting their idiotic opinions and trying to disguise them as 'debates'.

There seems to be a lot of 'HE'S LOOKING AT ME!' and 'He touched me!' going on here. I don't know about you guys, but I pull the car over, beat/threaten/bribe my kids, and go on with life. All of this 'He hasn't responded' and 'He said this to me!' shouldn't even be in the forums!!! All of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

The fact of this war is... EVERYONE WAS IN THE WRONG. I do mean EVERYONE. I could sit here all day and defend both sides, upset everyone, and still sleep very well tonight. Rather then stooping to that level, I WILL NOT. STOP POSTING this...stuff.. in the forums! Why do you people let things get to you so much? It's A GAME. Hellllllo?

I would really like for EVERYONE to get back to playing the game now. Not talking about playing it. This war is STUPID and I want it to go away now. You people are making Illy more about drama and politics then it should be! Message to both sides of this: STAY ON THE PATH OF PEACE AND STOP SPITTING ON EACH OTHER IN THE PLAYGROUND!
You think yelling about the stupidity of this war helps in any way and does not make you look childish?
Oh the irony
�I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend� - J.R.R. Tolkien
Zenorra View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenorra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 21:23
What evs. Ermm

rofl
Aral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 01:50
Originally posted by Gemley Gemley wrote:

Originally posted by Zenorra Zenorra wrote:

***Interesting and relevant comment***
You think yelling about the stupidity of this war helps in any way and does not make you look childish?
Oh the irony

Real interesting and relevant comment there gemley.  It sure is on topic and totally helps everyone a lot.  
Aral Llc is not responsible for any grievous bodily harm sustained while reading this signature. No rights reserved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic