illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peace Terms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peace Terms
    Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 15:54
Here are some terms I've been thinking about.  Full disclosure - I have not discussed this with my alliance - I think I know them well enough that they will be behind me though.

I expect that many will look at these and find them ridiculous - I ask those folk to look again and think harder about what is best for the game as a whole - what will make this a place where people can enjoy themselves and want to stay. Providing an environment where all can play the way they want to play (as far as possible) without fear of destruction but where some "pain" can be applied if folk feel it is necessary.

It's effectively the next evolution of the environment we (H?, Dlords and others) faced annihilation in order to create at the beginning of this game over 4 years ago.

1) I, KP, will personally post a surrender in public on this forum.

2) H? will pay 2 billion to the victors to do with as they please.

3) The Grand Alliance will repay a TBD amount of the 38 billion gold they already extracted from H? allies as a gesture of good will for the future.

4) Both sides will become the first signatories to an Illy War Convention which defines a code of conduct for alliance wars - terms such as not razing or sieging to under 2K pop, more than 30% of a players cities.

5) All signatories will work together to persuade other alliances to sign up and to prevent infractions.

6) Both sides will use what permasat accounts they have to provide cities to help those who lost more than 30% of their account in the war to rebuild.

I suggest something in a ratio based on current member numbers (E.g. 10 cities for each 100 members in the alliance) - a point for negotiation. I also suggest an independent coordinator for this exercise to help avoid contention.

I believe that if we can agree these terms or something close to them it will be for the net benefit of all parties involved and the game as a whole.

KP
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 16:20
Based on comments in GC it seems like term 3 wasn't written clearly enough.  Here's a (hopefully clearer) attempt.

The GA has received 38 billion gold so far from alliances who have surrendered.  That's a lot of cash and my suggestion was that the GA alliance might consider giving some portion of that back to those alliances to help them rebuild and as a gesture of goodwill for future relations.

Edited by KillerPoodle - 01 Jul 2014 at 16:26
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
dantem View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 16:30
Wow Clap

First offer of peace from H? side...congrats!!

Dunno about the term, they are up for debate between you and GA, but good work. Atleast now everyone knows you are interested in terms.

Cheers
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Luciferous View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luciferous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 16:35
The terms are excellent .. this is a perfect start for a decent agreement imo (if my opinion is considerable) terms 4 and 6 are excellent.
Gdluck
auel View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 17:32
Purely a personal view and not in any way "official".
I am glad to see a positive contribution from H? and I very much hope this wont now degenerate into the usual "he said, she said" standard of debate seen on these threads.
Good luck finding an independent arbiter though, in my experience they are either not sufficiently trusted or they don't want the job.

Josiah
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 18:10
I am really glad to see some movement toward peace on the part of H?

I have a question about the first term, just so there is no confusion later.  Do you mean that you will surrender on behalf of H?  Or that you will personally surrender?

I don't actually care if anyone ever "surrenders," -- I'm perfectly happy to see a statement that parties have agreed to peace terms -- but I think it is important that statements include Harmless? as a whole making peace rather than a single member of it.

Congratulations on this post, KillerPoodle, and I hope that the offer is considered in the spirit in which it was made.
Grainne View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grainne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 18:10
I sincerely hope something positive can come out of these terms--I think they're a great start.  Perhaps a representative from mCrow could mediate?  They are Crow and have a NAP with H?....(Just an idea).

I am more than happy to help anyone, from either side, rebuild.  Time to move on.
jtk310 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtk310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 18:25
These terms seem quite fair! It is great to see work being made in earnest toward ending this long war. As for the repayment of the 38B gold, choosing to repay some of the spoils of war would be a great act of kindness to counteract some of the resentment generated from this war. 

I now speak regarding the fourth and fifth terms:
The Roman Empire would be pleased to be part of such an organization! Much would still be needed, of course, to make an organization of this sort successful. Many questions race: 
What sort of structure would such an organization have?
How would decisions be made?
How would enforcement happen?
Obviously these questions shouldn't be answered in this thread, but should be decided while drafting the charter for such an organization.

If such a thing were to exist, specifics such as what enumerated powers it has and how votes are conducted among members would be important. Be careful, though, that you include a counsel on security with a real, built-in power to enforce decisions. Such an organization without the ability to back up their decisions could very well prove to be unsuccessful or ignored.
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StJude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 18:52
I don't really want to comment on the war or appear to be.

Point 4 is extremely intriguing, would it be possible to start another thread elsewhere to further explore that idea? 
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 19:43
Written by Gragnog (who can't access his forum account):   

Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

I applaud KP and the H? members.  It seems like a really good attempt at peace.  I especially like the bit about the vultures paying back some of that massive amount of gold to those alliances so they can rebuild.  It will show real charachter.  My money is on the fact that they will find some excuse to continue killing H? as they seem to be focused on it.  I really hope they prove me wrong.
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic