illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Now Offering: ~50k Military Units in BL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now Offering: ~50k Military Units in BL
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 08:19
So, I've been restructuring my cities and military recently.

One side effect of this is that I've got about 50k troops left over from the old structure that I no longer want, mostly in small numbers. Rather than just sacrificing them to Her Great Spikey Floralness, I thought it'd be amusing to make a quick post here and see if anybody wants to hire them for their own purposes.

Now, this can be for any purpose your dark little heart imagines. Want me to launch them at a dear friend of yours? As you wish. :) Care to have them harry a foe or support a siege - that works too! I fully don't expect these troops to survive wherever your whims may send them, and if anyone who you direct me to attack gets pissed at me...well...they need to chill. :) Naps and/or confeds will be signed during these operations, so you can treat these troops pretty much like those of any ally.

Here's how its gonna work - this will be a silent, private auction for the next several days that will end at midnight server time on the morning of April 24th. Just send me a mail with the number of the army (listed below) and an offer of gold for its use. If I get multiple offers for one or more armies, I will either post them on this thread or contact the lower bidder so that if someone bids higher, you'll know and can revise your offer if you want. Note that all those making offers will remain anonymous during and after the auction.

When the server clock strikes midnight on April 24th, whoever has the highest bid for a given army will be notified that the army is theirs to order as they wish. Don't wait until the last minute, offer ridiculously low bids, or offer a bid that's only just a smidge higher - I reserve the right to ignore such silliness.

Once I've confirmed that you've won, and your gold is en route to any of my cities, just send me a mail with the coordinates of the square you'd like hit, the server day/time you'd like it to be hit, and the order you'd like me to use (e.g. attack, reinforce, etc.) along with any other details. I will time my launches to fulfill your order as best I can (even waking up at odd hours, if needed). If anything survives to return to me after the order completes, then I will have that to do with as I please - you get one order...so make it count! :)

Also, again, all orders given will be held in the strictest confidence, especially who gave them. So, feel free to use this to troll your friends or weaken an unsuspecting and now newly paranoid rival! :D No matter the bribes or threats, I won't tell anyone that it was you. :P

Lastly, I have a variety of commanders I can use with these armies. I will choose the best one to accomplish whatever goal you set for me, though you are welcome to suggest the qualities you'd like to see in your commander. I may combine these forces into a single army, if you hire multiple armies from the same city and want them to strike the same target at the same time. If multiple naps or confeds would conflict, then whichever side has made the largest total offers will win and I'll ignore conflicting offers from the other side.

Here are the armies available for use, grouped by type, including their home and number of units.

Pikemen
#1: Mafrovia - 7,000
#2: Afrovian Dreams - 5,200
#3: Afrovian Heights - 400
#4: Afrovian Pastures - 3,200
#5: Afrovian Peaks - 2,200
#6: Afrovian Watch - 7,250
Total: 25,250

Longbowmen
#7: Mafrovia - 2,000
#8: Afrovian Dreams - 2,100
#9: Afrovian Flow - 2,500
#10: Afrovian Pastures - 1,100
#11: Afrovian Peaks - 1,350
#12: Afrovian Pulse - 100
#13: Afrovian Watch - 2,500
Total: 11,650

Men-at-Arms
#14: Afrovian Heights - 7500
Total: 7,500

Charioteers
#15: Afrovian Flow - 1,000
#16: Afrovian Heights - 1,000
#17: Afrovian Pulse - 1,000
Total: 3,000

Knights
#18: Afrovian Flow - 1,000
#19: Afrovian Heights - 500
Total: 1,500

Your mail to me can be as simple as:
100k gold for #12

If you send me a mail that says something like "10 million gold for all your pikemen", I will treat it as a bid for each such army, evenly distributed across all such armies based on the number of units in each. In this way you may win some of the pikemen armies, but someone else who bid higher on a specific army might win just that one.

I'm curious to see what happens here...if people jump on this idea or ignore it...if it's used for "serious business" or just for a bit of fun. I look forward to seeing your messages! :D

Yours,

Mafro
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 07:18
Thanks for the interest so far, the many of you who have wished me well in the endeavor, and the few of you who have given initial offers - good to know these troops are going to a good home to die.

As it's been 24 hours since my original post, I thought I'd quickly answer the most common questions and comments I've been getting.

Mafro, what if someone retaliates against you?
Yeah, could happen, though I'm not really worried about it. I'm getting rid of these troops because I have too many...so...if someone sends attacks against me in retaliation, so be it. If this turns into a full-on, siege-Mafro-out-of-the-game scenario, then frankly someone is taking things a bit too serious.

Mafro, can I have you send these troops against me, myself, and I?
Yes, though you, yourself, and, er, you are rather weird.

Mafro, can you post links to these operations so we can watch them hit?
You don't get out much, do you. I suppose that wouldn't violate any anonymity and might increase the fun factor a teensy bit for those that care. Sure, I'll do that if the buyer doesn't object and if I remember to do so.

Mafro, this is such a cool idea...hope it works out for you!
Thanks. As they say, boredom is the mother of all inventions...or was it the Darwinian compulsion to procreate? Something like that.

Mafro, are you becoming a merc?
Naw...this is most likely a one-time event, just to get some amusement out of getting rid of some troops that no longer fit my battle plans. Well, unless I make boatloads of gold from their deaths...then who knows!

Mafro, if you make boatloads of money doing this, then I'm totally going to do it too!
Good for you, sparky.
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 05:30
We're down to the last couple days of this little experiment, so I thought I'd give a quick update. So far, while lots of people have expressed interest, only two have bid for any of the forces. For my own amusement, I am going to refer to them below as "Fatty McGhee" and "Toll Booth Willie".

Here are the current bids for these armies...as you can see, they are going cheap...! LOL If you'd like a small military force to do your bidding, drop me a line with a bid that's reasonably higher than one of the ones below!

Pikemen
#1: Mafrovia - 7,000 - Toll Booth Willie for 140k gold
#2: Afrovian Dreams - 5,200 - Toll Booth Willie for 104k gold
#3: Afrovian Heights - 400 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
#4: Afrovian Pastures - 3,200 - Toll Booth Willie for 64k gold
#5: Afrovian Peaks - 2,200 - Toll Booth Willie for 44k gold
#6: Afrovian Watch - 7,250 - Toll Booth Willie for 145k gold

Longbowmen
#7: Mafrovia - 2,000 - Toll Booth Willie for 40k gold
#8: Afrovian Dreams - 2,100 - Toll Booth Willie for 42k gold
#9: Afrovian Flow - 2,500 - Toll Booth Willie for 50k gold
#10: Afrovian Pastures - 1,100 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
#11: Afrovian Peaks - 1,350 - Toll Booth Willie for 27k gold
#12: Afrovian Pulse - 100 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
#13: Afrovian Watch - 2,500 - Toll Booth Willie for 50k gold

Men-at-Arms
#14: Afrovian Heights - 7500 - Toll Booth Willie for 150k gold

Charioteers
#15: Afrovian Flow - 1,000 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
#16: Afrovian Heights - 1,000 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
#17: Afrovian Pulse - 1,000 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold

Knights
#18: Afrovian Flow - 1,000 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
#19: Afrovian Heights - 500 - Fatty McGhee for 25k gold
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 06:25
Okay, it seems that some additional bids have started to come in. To save myself some hassle, going forward I will ignore any bids that aren't at least 5k gold higher than the previous bid (and I may raise this minimum increase further in future).

Two additional bidders have joined, who I'll be referring to as "Buddy" and "Assistant Principal Dunbar". However, as Assistant Principal Dunbar outbid Buddy and everyone else for every army, that will be the only name on the list below.

Pikemen
#1: Mafrovia - 7,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 250k gold
#2: Afrovian Dreams - 5,200 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 200k gold
#3: Afrovian Heights - 400 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 30k gold
#4: Afrovian Pastures - 3,200 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 80k gold
#5: Afrovian Peaks - 2,200 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 65k gold
#6: Afrovian Watch - 7,250 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 300k gold

Longbowmen
#7: Mafrovia - 2,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 75k gold
#8: Afrovian Dreams - 2,100 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 80k gold
#9: Afrovian Flow - 2,500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 101k gold
#10: Afrovian Pastures - 1,100 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 30k gold
#11: Afrovian Peaks - 1,350 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 40k gold
#12: Afrovian Pulse - 100 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 30k gold
#13: Afrovian Watch - 2,500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 101k gold

Men-at-Arms
#14: Afrovian Heights - 7500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 251k gold

Charioteers
#15: Afrovian Flow - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 51k gold
#16: Afrovian Heights - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 51k gold
#17: Afrovian Pulse - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 51k gold

Knights
#18: Afrovian Flow - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 76k gold
#19: Afrovian Heights - 500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 52k gold

Edited by Mafro - 22 Apr 2019 at 06:25
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 08:11
Another bidder, referred to herein as Bill Spindel, has joined the fray, topping the bids for Army #1.

To address some new questions/comments....

Mafro, can I target other players or is this only for NPCs?
Yep, you can target anyone.

Mafro, is there a time limit on when I can use these troops?
I dunno...I probably should've set one. Dammit, yeah, I totally should've set one...the upkeep for a week is more than any bid so far...lol, oh well. So, please, at least start them marching within a week or two.

Mafro, are you going to offer more troops later?
I hadn't planned on it. To be clear, I'm not intending this to be serious or ongoing...this is just a way to get rid of some extra troops. That said, if you're in need of something like this then let's talk.

Mafro, why are you doing this?
Well, it's sorta like a social experiment blended with performance art that hasn't been fully thought through. Guess I'm doing it for the fun of it.

Pikemen
#1: Mafrovia - 7,000 - Bill Spindel for 350k gold
#2: Afrovian Dreams - 5,200 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 200k gold
#3: Afrovian Heights - 400 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 30k gold
#4: Afrovian Pastures - 3,200 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 80k gold
#5: Afrovian Peaks - 2,200 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 65k gold
#6: Afrovian Watch - 7,250 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 300k gold

Longbowmen
#7: Mafrovia - 2,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 75k gold
#8: Afrovian Dreams - 2,100 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 80k gold
#9: Afrovian Flow - 2,500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 101k gold
#10: Afrovian Pastures - 1,100 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 30k gold
#11: Afrovian Peaks - 1,350 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 40k gold
#12: Afrovian Pulse - 100 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 30k gold
#13: Afrovian Watch - 2,500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 101k gold

Men-at-Arms
#14: Afrovian Heights - 7500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 251k gold

Charioteers
#15: Afrovian Flow - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 51k gold
#16: Afrovian Heights - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 51k gold
#17: Afrovian Pulse - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 51k gold

Knights
#18: Afrovian Flow - 1,000 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 76k gold
#19: Afrovian Heights - 500 - Assistant Principal Dunbar for 52k gold
smilee View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 17:25
Given the gold cost of items to make a knight the current offers ought to be considered dumping... *ponder*
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 18:26
Would you be able to land all your troops on a respective square at the same time?

- a worried player

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 19:03
Originally posted by smilee smilee wrote:

Given the gold cost of items to make a knight the current offers ought to be considered dumping... *ponder*

Yeah, no kidding...cheap bastards....

Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

Would you be able to land all your troops on a respective square at the same time?

- a worried player

Pffft.
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 02:28
It's now less than 24 hours before the auction ends and things are starting to get serious. I know this because I have now been asked - twice - if these armies can be given custom names, quite possibly highly offensive to those whom they are targeting.

The trolling is real.  (And the answer is "yes".)

While trolling appears to be the main planned use for these armies, I've also heard of the following:
  • NPC hunting (boring, but...okay...)
  • Revenge on the fledgling account of an old enemy (soooo devious...I like it)
  • Clandestine military support for friends at war (because you're friends, but can't act in the open - I get it)
  • Massive trolling and "lots of head games" (not sure what this means, but I'm intrigued...)
  • Keeping them alive as long as possible to troll me and my upkeep (Ouch)
Anyway, the opportunity for you to play a part in this weird little experiment, soon to be a quirk of Illy history, is quickly coming to an end. If you'd like to remedy that situation, drop me a line with an offer for one, some, or all of these armies.

Cheers!

Mafro
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 23:22
Less than 2 hours left before the auction ends! I will no longer be updating bids as I just can't keep up, plus I've learned that there are a number of you who are planning to bid at the last minute.

So, at this point, please just mail me your "final" bids and whoever gets the highest bid in before midnight server time will get these armies.

Cheers!

Mafro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic