Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 21:39
END OF CHAPTER ONE

Comments are welcome.
Chapter 2 will start sometime over the weekend. 

Celebcalen, thank you for your words of encouragement :)

Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 17:55
If the antechamber was a cathedral of the damned, Orm Tullim thought, then I am surely in hell.

The vault beyond the door was immense, easily three stories high. An immense iron brazier dominated the center of the room, and even from a distance Tullim could feel the heat roil off of it. The air was full of ash, which settled everywhere; the smoke seemed to be pulled upward by a series of circular vents overhead.

"You are late with my supper, Rhaga, son of Rhugash, son of Jorgo, son of Jormu of the Lesser Line of Korgath the Half-Hand." The voice was mocking, but strong, like the rustling of a thousand bat's wings.

"Apologies, Old-Mother."

"Let's see what you have brought me." There was a rustling sound amongst the shadows. "Hmm. Old meat. Stringy most likely. And not dead yet."

Tullim realized with horror they were talking about him. "Now wait a minute-"

The shadow laughed, low and cruel. "Settle yourself, Silver-Chain. I won't cut my teeth on you just yet." There was a small pause. "Why are you here?"

Tullim frowned. "Rhaga said you wanted to see me."

"I did; Answer my question."

"I am here to see you, Old-Mother." Tullim said cautiously.

A long sigh. "The first answer is given. I ask you: What do you offer?"

A gust of chamber air fanned smoke into his face and he coughed. Orm Tullim thought, his hand drifting to his neck for comfort. "The only thing I have of value is my chain. It is a reminder of the unending cycle of life and death, and the imperfection of my own flesh. It is not for sale."

Another sigh, like a poisonous asp. "You offer your faith; this is good." 

The shadows moved again; was she circling around him.? Tullim looked to where Rhaga had been a moment ago, but he was gone, lost in the smoke and ash and darkness. He turned in the darkness, realizing how vulnerable he was. 

So be it.

"Good; you realize your life is not yours to give." The voice was next to him, it was in his ear. He forced himself not to scream. 

"The last question: What do you seek from the Eater of the Dead?"

Tullim did not pause for thought. 

"Vengeance."

Edited by Lashka - 14 Nov 2011 at 22:56
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 00:07
"Vengeance."

Lashka glowered at the elf seated opposite her. "I wouldn't call it that."

The elf looked at Lashka with deceptively calm eyes and took a small sip from the goblet next to her. "Of course you wouldn't." The elf considered the amber liquid in the firelight. "An exceptional vintage."

Lashka reciprocated with a sip from the iron goblet by her own hand. "It should be; you gave it to me." 

A gift in more stable times. Before the White War and the War of the Six Armies had consumed the nation, before discord had been sown like salt into the earth across tribes and races both. 

She had had no part in these conflicts, but she had heard the stories from her horde-mates and passers-by, orcs that went off to fight as sell-swords in the great wars; most had returned in leather satchels and rattled as they made their ways into the pit.

"Ah, yes." Myr said softly. Lashka could tell her thoughts had run a similar course. Myr has learned these lessons too, Lashka reminded herself, Else she would not be here. 

Myr studied her face. "I understand your need to avenge your tribe, Lashka. But do not forget you have other responsibilities."

"My lady, I assure you, my only goal is to retake my birthright. The Silver Chain are loved by no one. Least of all the Harmless Ones. And there is no love lost with the Lannigolds; the Silver Chain's feud with the Triumvirate is equally well-known." 

Still, Lashka was forced to concede Myr had a point. Lashka stroked a scar along her cheek like a memory-stone, a token from a wolf-pup that she had once thought harmless

And the Harmless Ones were no pups, but wolves grown, a full pack. It was wise to respect that which could kill you.

Here too their thoughts met. "We will not be able to assist you in this." Myr said. "If you fail, it will be on you."

"I understand, my Lady," gods this will be hard, "...and I humbly ask the forgiveness of my brethren for not asking their permission in retaking my land." 

Inwardly, Lashka seethed; to ask forgiveness was to show weakness, to submit. But it had to be done, for her peoples sake. And as bad as it was to have to seek the pardon of an elf, at least it was Myr, whom she respected. 

As much as an Orc could respect an elf.

"Humility and courtesy? From an Orc?" Myr seemed amused by the idea. "Now I have lived long enough to see everything; truly this world is a wonder. But I will carry your sentiments back to the others."

Lashka paused, the courtesies of elves and humans fragile and newborn to her. The speech was long and tiresome, but she began to see the benefits of it. "Thank you, my Lady...may I assume I have the permission of the others to drive the crusaders out of my lands."

Myr inclined her head in acquiescence. "You may. But remember that you are more than your horde, Lashka. We know you understand this." Myr rose purposefully from her chair. "I must ride tonight; the others gather at my castle." 

To hear of our outcome, Lashka heard in her voice. Lashka growled with pleasure, feeling as if a dangerous moment had passed between them. 

"Good Hunting," the elf said. Then she was gone, leaving Lashka alone with the wind against the old stones.

Edited by Lashka - 15 Nov 2011 at 02:47
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 09:12
This is awesome.  Even though your representation of humans is a bit...skewed.Tongue  Seriously though, I'm hooked. 
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 04:42

Orm Tullim felt feverish next to the burning embers in the brazier, which barely illuminated anything in the room. He could make out the edge of a dais a few feet away, and was aware of a restless shape at his side which he took to be Rhaga. There were other shapes too, shapes that crawled along the walls and at knee level, which he feared too much to look at directly.  

"Vengeance?" The Old Mother Redbones growled in the darkness. "What do crusaders know of vengeance?"

Orm Tullim's eyes strained against the darkness. He knew with uncomfortable certainty that the shadows were moving around him.  "I know that Lashka deposed you; I know you must hate her."  

There was silence for a moment; Tullim struggled with the hope that he might have reached her. Then she laughed cruelly. "You humans think that we are mere savages, so easily moved. You think that many of my kind cannot speak your language because we are too simple..."

He jumped as something hissed in his ear, so close that its breath raised the little hairs at the base of its neck. "But we listen, from the darkness, Orm Tullim. We watch as you murder out of fear, as you let the strong starve for a bit of gold and let the weak thrive simply because the one that had borne them wears it."

"It is is not the Uruk way," she said, "to let the weak burden the tribe."

He made a noise of protest, which was quickly choked back in the soot and ash. The Old Mother laughed again; this time the sound was distant, in the direction of the dais.

"How savage of me," she said, turning the word into a jape, "not to clear the air." There was movement by the dais.

"Open the vents, and stoke the fire," the Old Mother called, and the shadows moved to comply.

There was a great grinding sound like gears, and he startled as a blast of icy air hit him from above, accompanied by a dry leathery sound like the wings of a giant bat. The room was gradually bathed in  silver moonlight. As the room brightened, he began to make out details.

The moving shadows were kobolds – dozens of them. They crawled over every surface, tending glittering orbs that sat in niches set into the walls. Copper orbs, which sat on the lower tiers, were by far the most numerous, though there were silver and gold there as well. He took a step towards them in fascination. 

As one, the kobolds turned on him and snarled; he hastily took a step back.

Her attendants, Tullim realized. That meant she still had power in the camp. Perhaps he could use that. As the smoke cleared he turned towards the dais, where he assumed she had seated herself. There was a throne there that looked like it had been fashioned out of iron and a giant's pelvic bones. And seated on that throne was-

He fought the urge to scream. "Am I not fair, Orm Tullim?" the Old Mother said mockingly.

Edited by Lashka - 21 Nov 2011 at 04:50
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 04:57

He gagged. Ancient was the word that sprang to mind; as old and twisted as the elf-oaks , he thought. Her limbs did look like branches, all bones and dry leathery skin. She was naked, save for a piece of hide that hung beneath her bloated belly.

What we do not eat, we use. Rhaga had said. Eater-of-the-Dead, he had named her.

Her hair – what little there was of it – hung in wisps from her scalp, which was grey and mottled with boils. Her ears were gone. Her brow protruded over her remaining eye, which shone moss-green and cruel. Her lips seemed to be stretched into a permanent smile - all jagged yellow teeth and purple, bloody lips – the rictus of one who has been damned and knows it, a death-mask to the joy of battle.  There was a gaping maw where her nose had been, and her cheeks on either side looked pocked with what he feared were teeth marks.

Tullim shuddered involuntarily. 

She noticed his eyes on her face and smiled wickedly. "The Sundog Gith took my ears, the treacherous little shaggas.  I took three-score of their children as my blood-price, and a hundred of the Uruk Sma. They all feared me, until she took my nose to spite my face."

Redbones laughed.  "Did you know that you humans get that saying from us? A Horde-Mother without her nose cannot track. She cannot hunt her enemies. She is nothing to her tribe if she cannot lead them. She is only good, as the keeper of death. A gnawer of bones."

Redbones walked over the nearest niche. "A keeper of  the old memories, of the Time-Below-the-Mountains..." she lifted the golden orb down, "Of our strongest warriors; of chieftains and horde-mothers long gone." 

She turned the orb towards him so that she could seek the rows of teeth, still sharp after all these centuries, she tilted it so he could see that every inch was covered with the jagged runes that orcs called uruk.

Skulls, he realized with horror, so many skulls… 

He glanced upward, trying to calculate how many. Hundreds. Thousands.   

"I remember," she whispered reverently as she placed the gold-plated bone in a small wooden bowl to shine in the moonlight. 

She looked at him balefully. "I remember…that though she took my face, though she humiliated me, Lashka is still Uruk. And you, pathetic little man, are not."

Tullim took a step back in fear, "Then why all this? Why did you want to see me?"

Redbones smiled. "To see what we are up against, my little Silver-Chain. To see if your people will be worthy to serve us."

What we do not eat, we use, Tullim remembered bitterly, as far above him the war-drums began to sound.  

Edited by Lashka - 21 Nov 2011 at 04:59
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 05:44

This is my song, Lashka thought as she looked out over Ashk Harim, but do these children sing for me?

There were songs that the bards sang, she reasoned, songs that were as weak and watered-down as gnomish brew. This was different. It was the rhythm of sinew put to purpose, of the carving of wood and sharpened metal. It was a squealing calf as it was slaughtered for skin to make saddles and flexible armor; it was the exhalation of the bellows and the tolling of hammer on steel.

The wind carried other sounds to her ears - creche mothers singing to their whelps of the glory and battle their fathers would carry come first light. Old women sang the laments of chieftans long gone so that their spirits would give them courage. To the east, the servants of the gods spread the blood of slaves - elven, dwarven, and human - along each side of the triangular altar at the base of the temple complex.

Inside, she knew, the old priest Jaffa and his monks would be marking the heads and knives of the Iquadron acolytes with that same blood, so that even the shadows would melt before them, and the runes of power would tremble at their presence.

Old magic, she thought, written in the flesh. To be Uruk was to believe in the power of the blood. Why else take other races as slaves, or exact a blood-price from vanquished enemies? Why else consume the flesh of the dead, if not to gain their power.

"Rhugash is not happy to be left be left behind. He feels you shame him."

Lashka ignored Urgho for a moment, then sighed. "His son will honor his family; that should be enough."

"He says he is not ready to be fed to Old Mother Redbones just yet."

Lashka laughed. "I am rather fond of the fool, I must admit; she will not have him yet." She looked towards the southwest, towards the lights of Bristol Faire. "Besides, I need him here." In case I do not survive. He is the only one the others will listen to.

"Perhaps." Urgho said, "But my uncle will not survive a dozen more winters. Better he die in battle than a husk in a bed."

Lashka turned to him. "I need him," she said forcefully, "you will obey." His insolence was reminder that these were not really her people; not yet. She still had to prove herself in battle.

On the hill below them a great clamor came from the brewery. "Go see to the kobolds." Lashka said curtly. "I do not want them too drunk to fight in the morning."

Urgho inclined his head in submission. "As you say, Horde-Mother."

With Urgho gone, she was free with her thoughts, as unwelcome as they may be. On impulse, she unslung her battle horn, and placed it to her lips. The iron rim felt cold and cruel against her warm breath as she gave a might blast, which echoed off the wooden parapets of the gates below.

The clamor stopped suddenly; the entire city held its breath, and then a murmur started, building into a tide that coalesced around a single word taken up as a chant.

Uruk….Uruk…Uruk…

Now, she thought, my children sing for me.

Edited by Lashka - 21 Nov 2011 at 05:46
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 05:56
END OF CHAPTER 2

Comments, Suggestions as always welcome...

I apologize for the week-long delay in getting this up (life interfered)

On a related note, for those interested, Chapter 3 will begin on Wednesday... 

Edited by Lashka - 21 Nov 2011 at 05:57
Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 06:58
(In honor of the server move, I have decided to post one more chapter...)

In quieter moments, Shae tried not to worry about her grandfather. Of course, she wasn't supposed to know who the old man was - priests of the Silver Chain were expected to remain celibate their entire lives, but she knew. They had the same eyes.

Every night for the past six weeks she had climbed to the top of the hill outside Circlet. She could see most of the plain from here, even the top of the abandoned monastery that had been their reason for settling here in the first place. 

It seemed so long ago, but sitting here usually brought the memories rushing back. 

They had known it was dangerous. Even at eleven, she had known. Her mother's eyes had gotten wide as her father had described the orc-towns that lay to the east and south. 

Her grandfather had mesmerized them all with visions of rebuilding the Order's presence at the monastery, which had lapsed under the reign of the King's father. They had traveled to Centrum 'specially for the King's charter and his blessing, and with both in-hand they had set out to roust the orcs from the land.

Her father had sworn faith would protect them. He had even taken the time to show them all the other cities, full of elves and humans and dwarves, that had settled nearby without incident. 

They will help us, her grandfather had promised. They will have no more love for the orcs than we do; they will be just as glad to see them gone. 

Her father, grandfather and a thousand templars had set out a month before them with a group of Lannigold guides. 

Shae had thought the lions very pretty, especially a young cub by the name of Neiri who had smiled at her so fiercely she thought her heart might stop.

Her grandfather had taken her mother by the shoulders. "Herri and I will send for you, Urmilla. You must get the women to us. This is your pilgrimage. Do you understand?"

Urmilla nodded. "I do, Fath-" 

Her grandfather grimaced as she blushed, "your Grace," she finished clumsily.

Shae remembered the first time she had seen the smoke over the hills, nearly twenty years ago this very night. The burnt timbers of the orc-city had stretched omniously in the sky; her father and his men had been very thorough. 

Her mother had made her wait while she and the older women rode forward to meet the temple vanguard. In her darker moments, Shae suspected that the women had wanted to make sure that the ruins contained no traces of their former inhabitants.

Urmilla had spoken with old Basha, who had ridden out to meet them, under the shade of a pine tree. Back then he had been Basha the Bold, who had single-handedly killed a dozen orcs. 

Funny how, until now, she had never stopped to ask herself if they had been fully grown. Funny how in all these years, Shae had never asked about the circumstances of why the orcs had had to move. 

Not until three months ago, when the raids had begun. Not until orcs had returned, claiming the city as their own. By then they were a city, almost five hundred, not counting the soldiers. They had even begun rebuilding the monastery.

There had been war, they had said. And like before, the priests, led by her grandfather, had decreed they ought to go out to meet them. Since that day, every day, for six weeks, Shae had come here. To ask a question into the wind, and receive no answer.

Where are you, Orm Tullim? 

Lashka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 07:17
Snow was coming.

Urmilla stared out the door. Most likely that foolish girl had gone up the hill again. Too stubborn, by half, that one. Too much like her grandfather, the old bastard. Urmilla wondered if her father even knew that Shae cared if he lived or died.

Shae was probably the only person who cared. For her part, Urmilla hoped he was dead, like the rider had said.  He had brought her nothing but sorrow, never even sent her mother as much as a copper for her keeping. Urmilla had been a bastard and a girl, and were it not for her mother's religiosity, would most likely have been drowned in the river. 

At least you did something, Father, she thought ruefully, even if it was not your doing, but the Lady's.

Her father had left nearly two months ago with a few hundred men, to drive the orcs further east, into the forest. She could only assume they had failed, since the orcs were still there.

Oh, the city had had word, and she was one of a handful of elders who could be trusted to hear the message: their templars dead and scattered, her husband and son among those never to return. 

She gripped the wooden sigil that hung from a leather cord around her neck. Guide them to your embrace, my Lady, and the the promises of the life after.

Would that she didn't know; it would have been easier. Now the Lady had left her alone with that useless girl who was a woman grown yet acted half her age. 

"Shae," Urmilla called out into the darkness across the city, "Come in before the cold sets in your bones." She shivered, as her words faded into the calm that lay over the city. She looked past the city light to the dark line of the forest just beyond. She felt with some certainty that there were eyes watching her.

She shivered again, but it had nothing to do with the cold. She could have sworn, just for a moment, that the wind had carried a single word to her doorstep:

Soon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic