FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IllyCon 2018 Rundown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GM Cerberus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Creativity & Community Czar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GM Cerberus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IllyCon 2018 Rundown
    Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 21:59
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to start with a mountain of thanks to all the attendees of Illycon 2018, we had such a fantastic time meeting all of you and getting to know you!  Most of us traveled a long way to get to Northern Ireland, but the trip was well worth it as i'm sure everyone will agree.  A big thanks also goes out to SirTwist for lighting the spark of Illycon; without his aid none of this could have happened.

It was a weekend full of fun events and sightseeing, so here's a rundown of everything that happened!

Day 1: A Night at the Pub

We started off with an evening at the pub.  It was a night of laughs, drinks, good food, and perhaps revealing some Illyriad secrets.  We started at a great placed called Joe Macs in Portadown and eventually wandered our way down the street to Schvargo's for more drinks and banter!   It was a really great way to kick off Illycon...to be honest i'm surprised I remember as much as I do.

Day 2: Touring the Northern Coast

Early the next day (perhaps too early for some of us shaking off a hangover) we took the bus up North to see a few of the wonderful sights Northern Ireland has to offer.  We took the scenic route up along the North East coast to take in the beautiful countryside.  

Our first stop was a hearty jaunt to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, known to many Game of Thrones fans as an infamous Iron Isles locale.  Not all of us had the will to cross the bridge, but those of us that did were treated to a spectacular view of the coastal cliffs.  

Some of the attendees claimed vertigo...

After hiking back to the tour bus, we enjoyed a quick respite and were then whisked away to our next stop: Giant's Causeway.  The Causeway is an awe inspiring sight; a natural rock formation of hexagonal stone pillars that are constantly battered by the chilling waters of the North Atlantic.  

After yet another brisk hike back to the bus, we embarked for the finale of the tour: Dunluce Castle.  A personal favorite of the tour, Dunluce castle sits atop a cliffside overlooking the ocean.  The location emanates history, no doubt many epic stories came from these ruins.   Even though we got a bit drenched from a steady rain, our spirits stayed high from the spectacle of this great castle.  Game of Thones fans will recognize this castle (with a bit of CG touch-up) as the House of Greyjoy on the Iron Isles. 

We concluded the day after a long trip back with a special Illyriad reveal that only attendees were privy to.  More on that to come!  

Day 3: Time to Shoot Each other

Those of us who didn't have to travel back home on Sunday decided the best way to end Illycon would be to shoot at each other with tiny plastic pellets at The Mill in Portadown.  We enjoyed two intense hours of adrenaline fueled combat with 40 other local combatants.  Even though we all had very visible welts the next day, it was an incredibly fun time.  

The remaining few, pushing through the exhaustion of the weekend, convened at the Bann Riverside to enjoy some Pizza and Irn Bru.  We even had a special 4 legged guest called Strider join us.

Illycon 2018 was a very memorable experience for the Dev Team, and we hope that everyone who attended had a wonderful time.  Thanks again and we'll see you next year!

Edited by GM ThunderCat - 18 Dec 2023 at 15:03
willd elff View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willd elff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 22:30
Awesome!!!😍😍
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 09:52
great weekend!! 
My memory has never been very good, but I think the memories of IllyCon 2018 will stay with me!

If everyone enjoyed their time here, and it appeared they did, then I see the event as a successful one.
thanks to everyone who made the effort to attend, and thanks to the devs for covering the cost of much of the weekend... and to those who couldn't make it, hopefully next time!

lastly.... to those Illyrians we have loved and lost, we raised a glass for them on the Friday night, and we'll remember them always
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 15:29
It was great fun, and truly wonderful meeting y'all - the general awesomeness of Illy players never ceases to amaze me.

Especial thanks to SirTwist for organizing things on the ground in advance; much, much appreciated.

SC
rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 09:04
I was at the Mill too in my full lurker armor... 😈

Now you know where those phantom shots came from... 😈

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 10:31
Hey everyone,
Both Christina and I had a blast at the weekend of IllyCon. I was a bit worried she would be bored and not enjoy being part of our nerdy universe, however, thanks to all of you being open and talkative about other things too and not just Illyriad, she was really into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tCC6L1JJQ
Irish Folk Music with a band called Sprag Session.

We found a specific radio channel we liked and they played lots of good local Irish music. 
http://https://www.rte.ie/radio1/simply-folk/

I too enjoyed the Castle ruins and tried to think about what atrocities had happened there as well as what life was like living there in those days. Makes you think about today's life when you visit these places. There is something fascinating about those times. I guess we can glamour it all up when in reality it sucked in quite a few ways.
On our further trip through the Irish landscape, we saw many more ruins, churches en mass and cathedrals. A game like Illyriad surely portrays some of the action and which had happened through history. I think I also saw a few scriptures and writing styles on our journey that have similarities to our beloved game. What a great place to find inspirational sources.

We visited a copper mine in the Killarney National Park, where there was now a beautiful pond from the excavation site.
http://https://ibb.co/iYVicp < Copper mine excavation site

Also we visited the Trinity College in Dublin, where this guy was
https://ibb.co/bZdYA9 < Newton

Coat of arms
https://ibb.co/hY3Q7p

Bloody mary with some prawn lovin'
http://https://ibb.co/jiWj09

And here we saw a Grey Heron lurking in a tree (unusual)
https://ibb.co/eHYpiU

Thanks a bunch to the GM's. It was so good to meet and get to know everyone a little bit, as well as meet their partners and good friends. I'll be in Copenhagen and have a bed available to anyone who feels like stopping by to see the city.

Big hug from Josh & Christina

PublicRelations
HumanResources
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 10:41
Congratz to all who organised and attended Illycon. You are all stalwarts of the gaming world! Clap
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 22:57
That evening, however, we're having an open pub and food for IllyCon Attendees that will also include some talks from the developer team

and? ...
Bill_Cipher View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Cipher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 05:10
To bad I couldn't of come looked like fun
Let fate chase you not me
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 15:33
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

That evening, however, we're having an open pub and food for IllyCon Attendees that will also include some talks from the developer team

and? ...

...and we had some talks and chat about the upcoming releases and content updates; full details - and release - to come.

It was also - specifically - great to bounce some future ideas off the wider group, and see which areas got the most traction.

SC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic