illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Was the Map Created?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Was the Map Created?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 18:43
I know there was a map.  Then the devs overlaid some sort of "fractal map" on top of the map.  But how did they create the original map?  Was it hand drawn or was there code to create that?  How did they create the "fractal overlay".  Was it based on Perlin Noise or some other type of fractal algorithm?  Did they use separate fractal overlays for land height, tree density, soil moisture, etc...?  How did they create lakes and rivers?  Did they develop a technique to create those from a fractal algorithm too or were they hand drawn?

Really curious because the results are interesting for a completely computer generated map.

GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 18:47
Here's a bit of history about the map creation from the dev blog. 

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 19:55
The Devs tore its raw elements from the Aether and forged it from will alone.  They first wrought the ancient montains and the deep places of Illyriad, then the seas of the south and the rivers that flow accross the land.  Next, they hung the sun and the moon in the heavens, and causes great forests and grasslands to grow across the land.  They then created the creatures of the world, the spiders and wolves and fish and birds, and set the lines of mana surging accross the realms, which in turn created new creatures undreamed of even by the Devs.  Still, the world's creators felt it was not yet complete, and so finally created the five great races, the elves they grew from the wood of the trees themselves, the dwarves were hewn from the stone of the mountains, the orcs they molded from mud and clay.  Another race they formed from the strongest iron, though it has been lost to time, and few remember it once existed.  The Devs looked upon these creations and saw that while each was strong in its own way, their weaknesses would cripple them even more, and none would achieve the perfection the Devs sought.  And so the Devs created a fifth race, humans, weaving together the wood, the iron, the stone and the clay in equal measures.  And thus the world of Illyriad came to be. 

The exact methods the Devs may have used, I suspect, would be too arcane for a mortal to even speculate on.

Edited by Aurordan - 03 Apr 2012 at 20:00
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 20:11
The devs also created a forum, with distinct sub-forums for discussions on "Technology & data" and "Travelers Tales"...  

Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 20:20
Originally posted by Salararius Salararius wrote:

The devs also created a forum, with distinct sub-forums for discussions on "Technology & data" and "Travelers Tales"...  

Some Truths are too great to be contained by subforums.
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 21:38
Thanks Luna, that was helpful.

I'm still curious (if anyone would care to elaborate) how the dev's generated the overlay's, especially the river one.  The other overlay's look like they could have come from a derivative (modification) of Perlin's functions but I wonder how they managed to map the single scale on a fractal function (Julian, Mandelbrot, Perlin, etc...) to the multiple scales seen in the biome overlay?  Actually, the biome overlay isn't continuous and suggests it is more than one overlay.  The deserts are especially discontinuous with the rest of the biomes.

Clap
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 22:03
I believe they started with fractals and then did manual modifications.  Or rather, started with a hand-drawn map, then added fractals, then did manual modifications.  Doesn't it address that in the forum post?
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 02:17
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I believe they started with fractals and then did manual modifications.  Or rather, started with a hand-drawn map, then added fractals, then did manual modifications.  Doesn't it address that in the forum post?

Actually, the link from Luna was very helpful and did give a level of insight into what the devs did.  Do you think the forum post from Luna answered the types of details outlined in my last post?  I did not see that it did, that's why I posted more specific questions.  I did not mean to be critical of Luna, I was just curious for more detail if it was out there or someone had the knowledge and was willing to share.

Thanks

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 02:23
sorry, I meant the blog.
lokifeyson View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:14
i made this back in the day