Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Honest Review of Illyriad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duran View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Duran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honest Review of Illyriad
    Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 03:20
Hello everyone,

So i've been off and on playing illyriad since 2013. I have met some incredible people here. And currently am fortunate enough to kick it with my Dwarves over in Dwarven Lords for a majority of that time off and on. This game has a definite way of always keeping you coming back, and in large part I think it has to do with the community the players themselves have built. 

I do think there's some definite things that could be improved upon. The narrative I have seen since 2016 when I began playing militarily here, is that "The game is dying, it's on life support." My personal belief. When they upped the city count from 10. It really took away the feeling of completing your journey to city building. And was a cash grab to keep the server running because it encouraged players to keep purchasing prestige. Now I don't know if that is or was the outcome of that. But I imagine it is what keeps the server open for us to continue playing. 

We had tournaments once a year for some time. Then we had no tournaments, and now we have 4 a year. So that's something to keep the players engaged. Cool. They haven't always been my cup of tea. I imagine it's fairly difficult to appease everyone well enough to keep the lights on. 

Now that's all the doom and gloom I can think of off hand. There's a lot of good things this game has going for it. I don't think you can avoid giving the community, the alliance leaderships, the environment enough credit. Developers. Please stop by from time to time. Take 5 minutes of your day every week or so. Just interact with the players again, so you can stay relevant and in touch with your players wants/requests. So you can see the state your game is in.

Other players who happen to even look at the forum anymore, please add to this with your opinions on Illyriad, and maybe we can get something rolling. 

D.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
lonewolf View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 03:38
i agree we dont see the devs very much and hope to see them more in GC to let us know how every  things is going
willd elff View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willd elff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 03:50
Devs!Big smile
LoonieOne View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LoonieOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 02:59
Devs?
     Aren't those the mythical creatures people tell stories about?  That people claiimed would mysteriously appear and make pronouncements from above, as people groveled at their every word?  And the people would plead for them to preform miracles that could reshape the very world we inhabit?
  We have all heard this stories so many times that our minds start to play tricks.  Starting to believe we ourselves had once actually seen these mythical omnipotent beings.
    Don't be so easily lead astray citizens of Illy!  No such beings exist!  To entertain such ideas would be so absurd, so ludicrous as to be downright loonie!

William the LoonieOne
Hiei View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 06:53
I wish the devs were actually paying attention.

ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ES2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 08:36
Originally posted by Duran Duran wrote:

Hello everyone,

So i've been off and on playing illyriad since 2013. I have met some incredible people here. And currently am fortunate enough to kick it with my Dwarves over in Dwarven Lords for a majority of that time off and on. This game has a definite way of always keeping you coming back, and in large part I think it has to do with the community the players themselves have built. 

I do think there's some definite things that could be improved upon. The narrative I have seen since 2016 when I began playing militarily here, is that "The game is dying, it's on life support." My personal belief. When they upped the city count from 10. It really took away the feeling of completing your journey to city building. And was a cash grab to keep the server running because it encouraged players to keep purchasing prestige. Now I don't know if that is or was the outcome of that. But I imagine it is what keeps the server open for us to continue playing. 

We've been saying that for years in my shadow circle and yet the community with new members keeps kicking. Is it enough to keep the game and community afloat? Time will tell. 

Originally posted by Duran Duran wrote:

We had tournaments once a year for some time. Then we had no tournaments, and now we have 4 a year. So that's something to keep the players engaged. Cool. They haven't always been my cup of tea. I imagine it's fairly difficult to appease everyone well enough to keep the lights on. 

Now that's all the doom and gloom I can think of off hand. There's a lot of good things this game has going for it. I don't think you can avoid giving the community, the alliance leaderships, the environment enough credit. Developers. Please stop by from time to time. Take 5 minutes of your day every week or so. Just interact with the players again, so you can stay relevant and in touch with your players wants/requests. So you can see the state your game is in.

Other players who happen to even look at the forum anymore, please add to this with your opinions on Illyriad, and maybe we can get something rolling. 

D.

I haven't been on since I left. and to be honest this is the first time since then I've browsed the forums, but Duran is correct. Over the last few years GM involvement has been minimal. We all want it to succeed (either old players no longer playing or new and current). A show-in every week or every other day would go leagues while you all work your normal jobs. 

We've been hardcore fans for a decade, the lest those that remain can get is a concentrated conversation every week or so. 
Eternal Fire
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 18:28
In my opinion Illyriad is an amazing, deep game and there is always something to do, learn and improve. I love it for that. But it also has a lot of unused potential and a lot of room to grow and improve.

In my opinion increasing the city limit from 10 was an amazing change. Me and probably other players probably wouldn't have played the game otherwise.
  1. The game is supposed to be played for years. With 10 cities you are finished with the building part quite fast - which contradicts the base idea. In the current state you can put in the work and grow for quite some time.
  2. Having more then 10 cities is an amazing catch-up mechanic. With 10 cities max there is no way you can beat the player that is playing for 10 years, has an insane amount of troops and gear. In the current state if you work hard you can catch up fast and even overtake those old players (e.g. Quentin 2016, Thirion 2017, Mars 2019)
  3. As Duran already mentioned with the ability for more cities there is a huge demand for Prestige - which also benefits the PvP/military players (and the game overall).

When you look at success stories of other games then there is a common ground: Games need regular updates to keep being played.  Almost all of the big MMOs/MOBAs are an example for that. But even pure PvE games like Path of Exile show that you can keep and even increase your player base over a decade by providing regular Updates (for PoE thats every 3 month).

I think the crafting (Moonshatter and Kerberos gear) updates were a good update. Seasonal tournaments were an amazing change. Faction AI looks really promising and has a lot of potential for future updates and improvements.

That said i think the amount and the frequency of updates needs to be higher. A big content update every 2 years (Faction AI 2022, Seasonal Tournaments 2020, Multi-stage Release 2018) might not be enough. I would love to see regular (smaller) game updates like e.g. roughly every 6 (or 12?) months. Seasonal tournaments in addition to a lot of other games (Seasons in e.g. LoL, D3, ..., game updates) have shown that giving the players a reason to return is really important for the long term survival of games.

In addition i agree that the game needs a new community manager or at least more active participation from the Devs/GMs.

Thanks for an amazing game that has a lot of unused potential!

Thirion/Ellania
unplayer View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 11:27

Been playing this game for few years after the prestige sell and after the 60citys .

But as I see it there are some structure problems

BIGGER Problem is that there is not a gain for the warrior to fight except egoism and saying to GC how glorious he/she is OR if there is someone that fell good for causing damage to an other just for the bad feeling created ( I hope not much)

Before prestige sell I can imagine there was one category BuilderWarior cause you should build a stable account to be able to have an army.

Allow prestige sell make able the separation at 2 categories the Builder and the Warrior .

The Warriors no need to care about economy to pay their troops cause they pay with prestige that they sell to the builders ,and more than that the builders avoid to have troops to be able to have gold to buy prestige.

Increasing the max cities increase this gap between the the Builder and the Warrior .

And more than that it create a new problem :

problem is player don t want to loose their effort in the game and been a farm game for such long establish to the player base the feeling that this will not happen so putting more effort make sense since its not in a risk . So if and when someone destroy their effort it hearts deaply their feeling as it seems not right but the wrong was not the destroy it self, not the effort it self , but the feelings that it is wrong to lose your effort. No one likes to losses his efforts .

Which lead as to a Mutation : the NO RISKY TOURNEY players that without risking anything that don’t want to lose the kill troops and the NO RISKY WAR players that without risking anything that don’t want to lose ( having less than 8 cities to be easily replaceable ) .

which increase the gap even more

IMO . The faction play will drastically help the game cause I believe it will be a way to allow the sensitive “feeling” player-base to interact with each-other , not directly cause the player-base is to sensitive for that , but throw the factions with less bad felling and ofcorse without any risk .

There is a resent event that proves how much PtW the game has become .

One new account that heavily buy prestige challenge one of the best war players just because of that . ( Ofcorse without risking more that she want to put in ) .

eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 16:45
"BIGGER Problem is that there is not a gain for the warrior to fight except egoism and saying to GC how glorious he/she is OR if there is someone that fell good for causing damage to an other just for the bad feeling created ( I hope not much)"

That's because this is a sandbox... it's a feature, not a bug. PvP players are supposed to set their own goals- landclaim a region, attack player x, whatever. The game is not designed for pvp for its own sake- defence has far too much of an advantage and war is far too costly. 

I used to argue the game isn't p2w, but tbh it depends on playstyle. I've speed built an account to 9 cities in 2 weeks using a crap tonne of prestige, but I also played the game at a high level for 4+ years without spending anything at all. Sandboxes be sandboxy, and so more meta focused goals that are impossible to p2w are just as valid as mechanical p2w stuff like building 60 cities. 

Edited by eowan the short - 24 Jun 2022 at 16:46
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Sif View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 21:08
P2W and T2W ( Time to WIN) are bad and it has them both...
 but........
building 60 town s ofcore needs money to be paid  so its P2W ( which is bad IMO)  but it also need much skills so it not heavily P2W .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic