Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grandpa... tell us about the war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cilcain View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cilcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 14:26
Well written Deranzin - in the spirit of the OP.  And well played.

Although your 'victory' at Xarva was a little Pyrrhic to say the least.

Originally posted by Deranzin Deranzin wrote:

... I expect this to be my last victory of that kind

I certainly hope so!

but that is indeed a good way to go down ... by having fun at it LOL

Hear hear!!

Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deranzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 14:46
Originally posted by Cilcain Cilcain wrote:

Considering the odds I do not think that there was ever even an option for any other kind of victory Tongue at least the city was so thoroughly destroyed that there weren't any rooftops left, so I was safe LOL (sorry bad historical joke, but I couldn't resist)

Btw, I forgot to write that I'd be glad to hear the other side of the story as well. Smile

Just like a "before and after" ad ! ahahahaah :p
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 21:56

Considering the odds I do not think that there was ever even an option for any other kind of victory Tongue at least the city was so thoroughly destroyed that there weren't any rooftops left, so I was safe LOL (sorry bad historical joke, but I couldn't resist)

Btw, I forgot to write that I'd be glad to hear the other side of the story as well. Smile

Yeah me too, lets hear it guys.
Jenin View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 20:42
I mostly enjoyed this thread, especially the parts about their calculation of risks and timings they undertook and the excitement as their battles unfolded!

The parts I did not appreciate so much were largely conjecture about the motivations of other players, back handed compliments and slanders.    

FACTS and REQUESTS for facts are what win the day in any social context.  Everything else smacks of passive and or outright aggression, which just plain is NOT necessary.

I found Honored Mule's conjecture as to other folks motivations and cases for actions particularly offensive.  I really think that  if SERIOUS communication were to take place, that QUESTIONS be asked and that FACTS reviewed and even if debated and parsed between the opposing parties, (rather than seeing bitter conjecture posted), we might have room for all of us to feel happy in this game.  Please HM, take that to private communications with the actual parties that you feel committed offenses and ASK them why they did things, instead of posting it in the format of a political diatribe comprised of uninformed editorializing.

And did I say how much I enjoyed the posts about the educated guesses, gambles and the fellings of hope and loss these warriors took?  Smile

Myzel View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 21:29

I think I came off pretty well in your story. Fact is I was not home when raze time came. When I returned my alliance leaders were unsure if there were any troops in Lar Toribar, so I sent my knights to take a look. They confirmed that there was in fact no army hiding in the basement of the one hut left standing, so my army went ahead and razed it.
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 01:47
Just little tale about the war to keep it lighthearted.....

How Starry's Lake Resort became Starry's Lakeside Dude Ranch

One day I woke up to find the Concierge knocking on my door telling me that I had quite a few visitors next to my town of Nova. While I was flattered by the attention, when I saw 85 incoming armies to my city, I realized they weren't here to take advantage of the legendary hospitality of my Lake Resort...

Very soon, I had blockades landing. I dodged most of the attacks and the Call To Arms went up to defend my quiet little resort town. I killed the blockades and soon we had quite a few sunburnt resort enthusiasts mustered behind our walls, repelling wave after wave of cavalry from our Dark and VCrow neighbors. We also had a siege set up against us from a large hill next to us where we used to hold our sunrise yoga classes. Instead of Downward Dog, they were flinging down boulders on Club Starry! The Social Director, HM, had to be torn away from leading the Bingothon and tried to tell them that the Volleyball tournament wasn't scheduled until later that afternoon, but no one seemed to listen! (perhaps they were already taking advantage of our legendary open bar policy).

Regardless, a large number of attacks started rolling in each with 30 building engines each. Obviously, if they'd read the notice on the Activities Board, we weren't scheduled to have our waterballoon fight until after jetskiing at 3pm. Regardless, they managed to mostly expire at our walls and the darnedest thing happened. They kept leaving their Draught Horses in the town! And we didn't have a stables! We're a lake resort after all and very focused on water sports!

Needless to say this kept continuuing. And, at some point, the crowd on the Yoga Hill kept diminishing and ultimately, they expired. If they'd only gone to more of our cross fit classes! But the darnedest thing happened... They kept sending their waterballoon siege armies at us! So, despite some pretty excellent horse riding demos they did for us outside the city (Ditto's were almost as good as Lipizzaners, but need a bit of training on how to jump over walls), the waterballoon folks kept leaving more and more horses! After it was all done, the quite exhuberant water balloon folks left over 1,730 siege engines in firewood outside our little resort and left over 1,000 Draught Horses!

What to do with all these burly horses? So... being good Hospitality professionals, we have reinvented ourselves! We are now Starry's Lakeside Dude Ranch! We offer trail rides, log pulling demonstrations, swimming with stallions, etc. Also, we're set for firewood and will be having nightly campfires with S'more Roasting just after sunset cocktails at 7pm!

So thank you all for your visit, unconventional as it may have been, and please don't forget to give us good reviews on TripAdvisor!

Starry
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Neytiri View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neytiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 04:59
This is a great thread.  Now all it needs is Cliff's Notes.
"It is well that their bodies know the heat and the cold; it will make them strong warriors and mothers." - Absaroke elder (from Edward S. Curtis's book 'The North American Indian')
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 05:06
I think Cliff quit the game.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellusRex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 18:48
Nice post, Starry...
"War is the father of all things..."
darpansah View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darpansah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 21:03
I had 138 attacks on my city and I thought they were less....lol

Edited by darpansah - 06 Mar 2014 at 21:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic