illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Roman Empire Coup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ES2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Roman Empire Coup
    Posted: 24 May 2015 at 09:21
(Hello,

I've been a bit bored lately, and decided to leave my mark with a few histories on the forums. While these are certainly events in the game that I personally was a part of (and tend to be one of the major figures) they will most likely remain up to debate over every detail(if anyone bothers to debate them anyway).

These are subject to be edited(as I find more and more of my saved documents), and I hope that the readers will walk away with a little more knowledge of some event or another.)

After some time of wandering around, I found myself in Roman Empire under the alias Flavius Aetius. Due to my knowledge of the game (and my hand in a number of events) I was quickly promoted to a senior leadership role. Around this time, Broken Lands became a very popular subject in Roman Empire. Why you ask?

Roman Empire was in an interesting situation that many other alliances large and small also found themselves in. Should they risk their Elgean investments and focus settlement in BL? Should they do 50/50 in both continents, or avoid the new world altogether? These questions plagued the Roman Empire leadership, and only a few members stepped up to push for BL settlement.

I was one of these members (and backed by junior officer Lord Moonpie). Together, with our varying realms of influence, we pushed and successfully persuaded Zynot to settle in Broken Lands, Westmarch. Our base of operations was the island on the West coast, and further plans were drafted to settle the nearby coastline and expand outward. 

However, these settlement plans were still met with internal hostility. Roman Empire leadership still wanted to invest new cities in Elgea, as they were not all too ready to abandon their prior investments, despite repeated assurances that settlement in the much more fertile Westmarch was the better action.

Settlement by itself was not unstresssful in any case. Already met with increased hostility to those that wanted to continue settling in Elgea, there were sects of the leadership that were intent on striking out at those that dared to place land marker armies *near* where Roman Empire intended to settle their cities. With my intervention, we avoided many a pointless war. 

This led to an interesting divide in the Roman membership. There were those that sided with Zynot, myself and Moonpie, or those that adopted a 'wait and see' approach. While this continued argument on settlement was enough to split opinions, it was not enough to warrant a coup. What brought forth my decisive and fateful action was Roman Empire's behaviors towards WAVE.

Roman Empire originally allied with WAVE, but then when met with oncoming conflict against FAIRY, opted to sit back and watch their allies suffer, regardless of the pacts made. This prompted myself, and my trusted friend Moonpie to act. 

I used superuser role privileges assigned to me and appointed myself Emperor of the newly titled Holy Roman Empire. I then appointed Moonpie to a higher rank. In the face of what we predicted would be a Civil War at worst, armed revolt at best, we assigned the alliance capital to my own city, and we 'liberated' their funds, a some 200m gold. This stash of gold was assigned to a nearby hub for safekeeping.

Some Roman members questioned the coup, but as noted earlier, there was the divide of 'opinions', for lack of a better word, for how the Romans should be ruled, and how they should rule. Most of these members opted to wait and see what would come of the coup, rather than openly side with one party of the other and risk retaliation from the winner.  

However, since Moonpie and I advertised our Coup as to benefit the Romans, we risked alienating our members by keeping power solely to ourselves.  So, we re-assigned superuser privileges to Isabella and opted to see what would come of it. Shortly thereafter, she removed us of our positions and reinstated Zynot. 

Moonpie was able to safely flee to Fairy, while I was not as fortunate. My colorful past was well associated with Flavius(in fact, it was known from the moment I joined Roman Empire), and no one was quick to take me in. Fortunately, Trout opted to allow me momentary refuge while they performed their own investigation. I foolishly believed they could shelter me forever, and didn't do much with the gold I had stashed at the hub. It was only after their investigation ended, and the Romans were allowed to continue their execution did I realize I needed to move the gold.

I quickly recovered the gold from the hub, and sent it to a 3rd party player for later useage, and resigned my account to its fate. From this moment on, Roman Empire would continue to send either military or diplomatic attacks onto Flavius Aetius, regardless of what alliance it belonged to, the capacity of harm Flavius could manage to do, or how much damage they had already managed to do over the existing time.

Through Roman intentions to attack those that established land claims, intentions to abandon allies, and a fierce and ongoing resistance to settle more fertile lands, the Roman Coup was born. 

Edit:

Another day I'll add this in to the actual body. Moonpie and I pushed regularly for a lesson plan to the masses, this was constantly met with disinterest. Even when the leadership finally agreed to creating a plan, they delegated it to Moonpie, and then ignored his submitted plan.

Edited: June 16th

Edited by ES2 - 17 Jun 2015 at 05:15
Eternal Fire
Patience King View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Patience King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:02
I am glad I have read your side of the coup. I only heard of the twisted stories of Queenie and Zynot. They made you out to be condemned to Dante's 7th circle of hell. I see now you acted out of the best interest of Rome. And I thank you for it. You were right to move to westmarsh but incorrect to preform a coup. This is my opinion. I, Patience King, a senator of Rome, forgive you for your actions. But I cannot speak for RE. 
hrandjt View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrandjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 12:24
Regardless of your "justifications" you stabbed in the back those who took you in and trusted you despite your past. The irony of claiming the WAVE/Fairy incident justified your actions is thick, you took Rome's focus off those events at a time when it appeared that war was a real possibility.

The only thing members were "wait and seeing" about was if we could get rid of you.

It was a cynical grab for power and gold and it backfired wonderfully.
jtk310 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtk310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 14:26
EF, you were found to be in the wrong by TROUT. They made a just decision in letting us execute you after conducting a solid investigation themselves, as you mentioned. If an impartial third party, especially a group so venerable as TROUT, saw it as just retribution, it probably was. 

Our member-base was divided, sure, but only in that we hadn't fully decided the path to take. We encouraged debate among the members on big issues, and encouraged that people make their opinions known. Them speaking up as we asked about a certain topic is certainly not a sign that they wanted to change leadership. Your claims are, simply put, bunk. I no longer check the forums, and Zynot brought this to my attention despite no longer playing himself. Did you think you could get away with slinging your falsehoods (as you have always done) now that we are gone? 

Same old EF can't let the past slide. You were tried for your crimes, and punished. Your punishment befit a player who swore they would always be a thorn in our side. Waiting until all the people involved stopped playing to make your case is a good sign you don't have one. By the way, moving to BL was a great idea. One RE eventually adopted and would have without your coup. We could have all worked together. I put trust in you and vouched for you when no one else would. I learned my trust was ill-placed and any who believe the things you say will likely one day learn the same lesson.

EDIT: Also, after reading your other post about TLR, I remembered that I was one of the members who carried out your executions on 'spies'.  Is it considered ironic when a king is executed by his own executioner?

Edited by jtk310 - 03 Jun 2015 at 15:44
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 14:39
I can most certainly understand the hurt and hard feelings that RE members have toward EF over the coup attempt. No one would begrudge them that, and if it had happened the same way in my alliance, my ire would be up as well.

I learned of the details of this coup after the fact, and so I come at it from a dispassionate perspective. I will say this: no one in the years that I have been playing this game has managed a coup like EF did, as well as his embezzlement of the RE treasury, and the subsequent punishment as described by jtk above. From a purely gaming standpoint, the entire sequence of events is one of the most unique examples of the "meta-game" in the history of Illyriad, and shows how even administrative features of the game can be wielded as key catalysts for intriguing gameplay.

ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ES2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 21:06
Originally posted by jtk310 jtk310 wrote:

Same old EF can't let the past slide.

That boredom, let me tell you.

You were tried for your crimes, and punished.
Yup, though it ever amazes me that you ignored the other major player in the coup. I think the old RE profile said I managed to manipulate him or something to that regard, and I find that excuse to letting him go hilarious. 

Your punishment befit a player who swore they would always be a thorn in our side. Waiting until all the people involved stopped playing to make your case is a good sign you don't have one.
That boredom though

By the way, moving to BL was a great idea.

Thank you

I put trust in you and vouched for you when no one else would.
I appreciate it.

I learned my trust was ill-placed and any who believe the things you say will likely one day learn the same lesson.
Probably. 

Eternal Fire
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ES2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 21:11
Originally posted by hrandjt hrandjt wrote:

Regardless of your "justifications" you stabbed in the back those who took you in and trusted you despite your past.

Those Romans and their politics. Roman Coups! Who could have possibly seen that coming?

The irony of claiming the WAVE/Fairy incident justified your actions is thick, you took Rome's focus off those events at a time when it appeared that war was a real possibility.

Not really. Then RE trying to start a war with HAREM(Seraglio?) over a marker army would have been just of a good of a time. 

The only thing members were "wait and seeing" about was if we could get rid of you.

If that makes you more comfortable when sleeping at night.

It was a cynical grab for power and gold and it backfired wonderfully.

Not really. Look at the map, you have Moonpie and I to thank for your uncontested base of BL operations. We had everything in the alliance, cushy jobs, pleb respect and so on. We risked everything to better Rome, when our actions have already paid off for Rome ten fold. 

By the way, what happened to Orin's  message of support? Internal pressure mayhaps to remove it?
Eternal Fire
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ES2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 21:17
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

I can most certainly understand the hurt and hard feelings that RE members have toward EF over the coup attempt.

At the least I'd like to think we did them a favor. Gold is the root of all evil, and we should all really try to prevent Roman corruption from getting out of hand. 

No one would begrudge them that, and if it had happened the same way in my alliance, my ire would be up as well.
I would have executed players for less...ohwai

I learned of the details of this coup after the fact, and so I come at it from a dispassionate perspective. I will say this: no one in the years that I have been playing this game...
years? It's been years!? Man..I feel old

...has managed a coup like EF did
I seem to recall a very old alliance, either Tranquil peace, or made of members from that alliance, that suffered a coup of similiar proportions. The difference being members from that coup were very loyal to the original leaders..and well. *cough*

..as well as his embezzlement of the RE treasury, and the subsequent punishment as described by jtk above. From a purely gaming standpoint, the entire sequence of events is one of the most unique examples of the "meta-game" in the history of Illyriad, and shows how even administrative features of the game can be wielded as key catalysts for intriguing gameplay.

<3

Eternal Fire
jtk310 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtk310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 21:25
Originally posted by ES2 ES2 wrote:

Look at the map, you have Moonpie and I to thank for your uncontested base of BL operations.

Sorry to burst your bubble (well, not really), but Zynot and many others also wanted BL to be the only base. 50/50 was my idea and a bad one, one which would have been overruled anyway as our plans took shape. Your coup had literally nothing to do with the decision to settle Westmarch, something you know because that settlement was already underway with YOU as coordinator.  Taking all the credit for that when the actual leader of the alliance and a large part of the member base were on your side is nonsense.

Originally posted by ES2 ES2 wrote:

That boredom though
Maybe take up a hobby other than acting righteous about fights you lost long ago. This isn't the first time you have brought up an old illy battle that you lost months/years later. 

In short:
Your coup achieved very little (stolen gold) and lasted a day, but Rome is doing great even without pretty much any of the people involved in this situation. I guess we were both superfluous to a successful member base, who thrives despite the machinations of power.
Patience King View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patience King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 19:54
By the looks of it, I have been fooled by ES2's words. I was wrong to forgive you Flavious. No matter how much we continue to talk here on the forums, I will never have the full story. Because I never will have the full story, I can not trust either party. I will default to my original stand point and to do what I feel is best for Rome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic