illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCold front.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Marston View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold front.
    Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 18:05
The snow fell heavily, blocking the men's already limited vision. The men's minds went back to home and to the comforts that went with it. Food,water ,shelter,warmth ..... women. Months of cold temperatures, dodgy food and the ever lasting presence of death had made these ordinary things seem like a million worlds away. This was not the war that the Confederation had promised. They promised adventure, great food and most important good pay. This is what drove thousands of farm laborers into their ranks. The campaign poster also promised a swift conclusion to the war. Four years in, they were dead wrong. The men moved slightly, the only sound being the clear and distinctive crunch coming from their boots hitting the snow on the ground. They stopped their grueling march in some god forsaken wood. The gathered around in small- tight groups to preserve their limited body warmth. Fog clouds rising over them coming from their irregular breathing, It was here that Anthony's mind flashed back to basic training.... back to where it all began.      
P:S first chapter of my story, let me know what you think.Smile
Veni, vidi, vici
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 18:24
ClapClapClap
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 12:36
Chapter 2:

When the war started Anthony was seventeen. Baby faced, he dreamed of glory in battles in exotic lands, power among the people of  Aeryn and respect beyond measure. At the beginning of the war conscription was introduced to those of the age of twenty and over. With the war expected to be over quickly, Anthony  felt his chances of fighting were slim and so he was crestfallen. Like any boys his age at that time Anthony had to bear the shame of not fighting for his country, he endured the looks of disappointment and disgust when he went into town to buy food while boys barely older than him were fighting and dying. The war was not going as smoothly for the Confederation as anticipated.  The Blue order were proving to be a much tougher opponent. When Anthony turned twenty the war was very much still on and Anthony got the chance he craved for. Along with the other baby faced boys he packed his bags and went off to basic training. Unaware of the horrors that faced him, with his dreams of glory very much in his mind.

Captain James.W. Archer   was in charge of Anthony's platoon. A powerfully built man , he had a formidable presence which was exactly suited for turning these farm boys into soldiers and by extent into men. " You all know why you are here. You dream of glory. You fancy yourself to be the next hero of the Confederate army. Well let me get this straight most of you are returning home in a body bag, if you listen to me I might bring you home. Is that understood? ". Anthony remembered feeling terrified and confused when hearing the Captains words. Nevertheless , his voice rang out in unison with the rest of the platoon. "Yes Sir!".

From that moment on, Anthony's life was full of grueling marches and brutal hand to hand combat all the while suffering abuse from the Captain. He struck a close friendship with two boy's in his platoon. Mark and Chris. The three of them endured the Captains torture for six months until the day when he gathered them around and told them they were ready. "We are shipping out in the morning" is how he simply put it. This was it, Anthony thought. 

"Anthony.... Anthony?" , Mark shook him side to side. Anthony's mind went back into focus. He realized he must have been day dreaming for what felt like ages. " Come on Anthony... we are moving out, we've almost reached the target". " Ya , Ok let's go" Anthony he mumbled back. The men resumed their marching, the snow kept falling.

Edited by John Marston - 10 Mar 2013 at 17:14
Veni, vidi, vici
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 15:42
3rd para 1st line:
Hand to hand combat

second last line: he mumbled

Not as good as the first chapter..but I am looking forward to the third one

Edited by Gossip Boy - 10 Mar 2013 at 15:43
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:42
He always admired the view from the watch tower. The breathtaking landscape surrounded him while up here. Being lookout was one of the rare luxury's of being a Empire solider, because while on duty you could relax and be one with nature. His mind started to drift off as he watched the leaves on the trees move from side to side with the wind, perhaps if he had been focusing more clearly he would have seen that fateful flash of metal coming towards him. But alas, the only time he saw the knife that killed him was that moment it was plunged into his throat. The Confederation had breached the walls of the fort. The Empire had no defense now.

Anthony silently moved his knife from the lookouts throat and left the lookout to die lying on the walls of the fort in his own blood. Together he and Mark moved silently along the walls towards the guards over looking the gate. They both prepared their bows and let their arrows fly perfectly into the hearts of the two guards. Their intensity quickened, fog clouds grew quickly around them as they slowly pulled the leavers of the gate to allow their fellow company enter the fort. Anthony's heart raced. He knew that if they were discovered his death would be soon. When at last the gate was fully open, Captain Archer lead his troops towards the remaining Empire troops within the fort. With no warning, the Empire troops had no chance, most of them were still sleeping when the Confederation spears and swords pierced their Armour and ended their lives. Later the Confederation propaganda team would claim this to be a great victory in the war against the empire, it didn't feel like that to Anthony though.... it didn't feel remotely like that at all.
Veni, vidi, vici
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic