Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions about battle magic.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about battle magic.
    Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 18:10
The tournament introduced battle magic. But I think it arise some questions:
  1. Why does some units cast spells that wont help them (lower defense against other unit type)?
  2. Why is only one spell cast even a lot of the unit types could cast spells?
  3. Is the magic scaling after the amount of troops?
  4. How will the magic be implemented for players?
Feel free to add questions or answer them Wink
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 19:03
Pure speculation here:

1. Perhaps to test the implementation without players feeling it was sprung unfairly on them?  
2. Probably just easier that way.  Fights should still be mostly actual fighting anyway.
3. The few spells I've seen don't seem to, but I dunno really.
4. Probably it will require a large amount of prestige (like 1k) for special, "premium" commanders with spellcasting abilities.  Naturally, this cost will also be built in to the cost to resurrect them , and likely there will be a prestige upkeep cost at some level.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 21:23
1.  I think they fixed the issue with for example ranged lowering defense against cavalry and by the end of the tournament all units cast spells relevant to their unit type.  At least on the reports I saw.

2.  It was not always the case that only one spell was cast.  Moumiyas attempted to cast multiple spells in some cases.  To my knowledge, they also failed every time they attempted to cast anything.  I still haven't seen a report of successful moumiya magic.

3.  The magic appears to depend on the type of the casting unit, with various unit types casting different spells that affected different numbers of units (for example on the spells cast by langs) or different percentages of attack/defense of different unit types.

4.  There has been reference to the "Abjuration" spell school, which sounds defensive in nature.  It's possible that the first combat magic available to players will be this school, which would protect from faction magic.  It's notable that all magic cast so far has been offensive EXCEPT in the last battles where the Crimson Dawn faction employed a defensive magic.  Perhaps a first demonstration of Abjuration at work?  That's just a guess.

As for magic-wielding commanders being available at a high cost of prestige, I'm guessing that was an attempt at humor since it would be inconsistent with the way prestige is used in Illy thus far and with the principles laid out by the developers.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 19:54
Here's some more info from Stormcrow on moumiya magic:

[07:02]<Ryelle> GM Stormcrow is it true that moumiya magic was so difficult to balance you decided not to release it, even for the tourney?

[07:04]<GM Stormcrow> @Ryelle - heh. It's a good supposition. The sad truth is that we couldn't get it to work. The moumiyah curses take effect at a random period *after* combat has occurred, and for a variety of reasons we couldn't easily make this work at the time. It's now working just fine, though, but too late for the tournie.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic