Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gifting Prestige
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 03:11
That.
Can we get a way to gift Prestige to someone?
Like the WoW cards you can buy at Walmart. Or just a link through FB. That's how I buy.

Edited by abstractdream - 06 Jan 2012 at 03:14
Bonfyr Verboo
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 04:58
If you are a sitter on someone's account; when sitting their account, you can buy them prestige using Facebook credits, PayPal or Google Checkout.

Also you cannot spend their prestige as a sitter.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 15:30
Much more fun to be able to surprise someone with a gift of prestige.

Gift cards have attendant complications, but I'm not sure why a field couldn't be added to the purchase conversation that would let you choose an account to credit the prestige to.  It would have to be decision made at purchase time, defaulting to the account making the purchase.  Prestige would still not be transferable once bought (can of worms, that).

TC, are you suggesting that this is not possible and/or not a good idea, or just pointing out a workaround that's already available?
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 18:10
Being able to buy prestige for another player (without having access to that player's account) opens up a lot of potential for extortion or prestige-harvesting protection rackets.  With credits that cost real-world currency involved, this becomes an issue of real crime.  I expect the devs and/or their bean counters are quite concerned about the legalities of facilitating such potential.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 18:53
Yes I'm not too keen on this idea either since gift can become more easily payment. 
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 18:56
There's two issues.

One, as HM has mentioned, is that there is a potential can full o' proverbs involving RL monies - and we'd like to stay away from that as much as possible.

There is also an increased potential for fraud v Illy corp as well.  

Currently, if a player chooses to buy prestige and spend it, and *then* chargeback (dispute) the transaction via the payment provider or credit card a few days down the line... well, they don't really get anything because we end up suspending their (and any related) game accounts pretty quickly.  This is why this happens very rarely; as there's very little advantage to it.  Players who try this can also end up in all sorts of knots with their payment providers (PayPal, GCheckout etc), which isn't worth the candle for £x of prestige.

But if they did the fraudulent chargeback route and had actually disbursed the purchased prestige to third party players, then things could get very, very messy indeed.  

This is why appointing a sitter has so many very dire warnings attached to it.  Sitters *are* treated by both the system and the GMs as though they were you personally, and if a sitter uses your account to trash it, or gets it suspended (or whatever) then I'm afraid that whilst it's unfortunate, it's also "final".

Any Petition variant based on "X player trashed my account whilst a) sitting it for me, or b) using my login credentials" gets a smidgeon of sympathy from us - but otherwise short shrift.

Regards,

SC
Darrell View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 16:03
Another Simpler Solution:
1) It is desirable at times to help your alliance member out - some of which lack Prestiage to quickly achieve goal - such as 10th city.  Yet they are dedicated players.
2) Easy solution: Allow users to mail up to 20 Prestiage per day to one (or more) persons.
3) Only allow Prestiage which has been in ones account for over 7 days to be sent.
4) The limitation is there to prevent weathy gamers from buying leadership roles.

Illyraid needs to increase revenues to improve game -- This could increase revenue from current players by 5% or more.  Without fraud problems.  Without gift card marketing problems.  And yet Benefit everyone in the game.

abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 06:47
I understand the points raised, on both sides of this issue. Its a shame though.
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic