Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balkin View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Use of XML Data
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 06:12
Hi,

So I'm thinking about writing an application this weekend that does some analytics for me based on the publicly provided XML feeds. I just wanted to get a sense of whether or not any of the things I'm thinking about doing would violate the rules.

Ideally what I'd like to do is download towns_xml and aggregate it historically so I can do some general calculations to find inactive players near my towns that might be good targets for thieving or sieging or raiding etc. I don't plan to make the application do anything other than possible link to some of the pages like player profile, alliance profile, and maybe towns centered in map. Does any of this violate the rules for third party apps?

Also is ranking information available in XML format anywhere? I thought it might be nice to display that or possibly use it to do some extra analysis on targets.

Thanks,
Balkin
Koragg View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 15:06
The rules are all here;

Given that these rules apply only to ones that interact with Illyariad (for data mining or sending/retreiving data), and that your app only parses through what's available on the XML feedes, I'm pretty sure you are fine.
--------
Koragg, Faction Abassador for Dwarven Druids [Druid]
Phineous, Trade Co-ordinator for Fairy Road Authority [Roads]
Balkin View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 15:22
That was my impression from the rules as well but I just wanted to get some feedback and make sure I wasn't operating in grey territory since historical population data really isn't available through the current UI, at least not without manually keeping track of it.
Koragg View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 17:52
Quote The tool must only use the data that is publicly visible and explicitly available on the User Interface to all players without having to go into the source code.

If, for example, the publicly visible interface does not tell you where an army is travelling to, then this is something we do not intend for you to know, and tools that attempt to extract this data from the source of the world map are not allowed.

Since you are not trying to extract data from the source code, merely parsing data that is avaialable to all players (via the XML feeds), I'm confident that you are fine.
--------
Koragg, Faction Abassador for Dwarven Druids [Druid]
Phineous, Trade Co-ordinator for Fairy Road Authority [Roads]
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 18:02
The XML data is free to mine for whatever you like.  The only restrictions are on how often you download the XML (which of course only changes once per day anyway).
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Cheers2012 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:10
 Thank you for posting this , I don't know a lot about XML Data ,helpful for me .thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic