Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeanwhile, In Tor Carrock ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zillee View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meanwhile, In Tor Carrock ...
    Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 03:29
((ooc: No comments please, but if you would like to join the story then feel free, either interacting with those in Booshka or with another story set in Tor Carrock that runs in tandem. The direction of the tale of Booshka will be guided to a large extent by the settlements progress IG))

Meanwhile, in Tor Carrock, a caravan wound its way along a dusty road. The horse pulling the cart stepped out with a lively pace, its ears pricked towards the gathering of buildings set amongst newly ploughed field that lay ahead. Home, oats and a roll on the grass in the paddock. Smashing - what animal would not increase its pace with such to look forward to? And also considering that the cart was empty ... well, that made it an easy trot home.

Except that the man holding the reins was not letting the animal have her head. Rather he seemed reluctant to be returning home, a frown of worry marking his whiskered face. Walking alongside the cart were a young man and woman hand in hand, their pickaxes in the cart.

"She's gonna be mad, yer know," the lass ventured. "She won't like it, us coming home with nothing to show ..."

The elder man on the cart grunted. "Not our fault," he muttered. "'Tis the king's law to give way to those arriving after yer. Not our fault ..." He stuck out his chin in defiance of the expected onslaught of rage that he knew would be coming his way. "She can't expect us to start defying the king's law."

"Anno," the lass replied, with a shrug as they entered the settlement known as Booshka and headed towards the store. "Mebbe she'll be busy elsewhere," she added hopefully.

Hearts sank however when the familiar sight of the lady in question came into view. She was tall, and skinny, with dark eyes against a pale skin and long hair braided out of the way. Dressed for labouring in the fields, there was little to distinquish her as the leader of the settlement except for the air of authority that she carried. Nodding at the three approaching, Zillee smiled in welcome.

"Yer back just in time for the breaking of the bread. No trouble on the road I hope?" she said, trailing a hand along the horse's neck as it came to a halt, and then stepping up to look into the cart.

"Um, m'lady, um ... we -umm were ... bumped."

Stammering the words out, the driver sat with furrowed brow, not daring to look her in the eyes. There was a silence briefly and then a heavy intake of breath. When her reply came it was a low tone of simmering menace that grew into sharp anger.

"And yer thought to come back here with nothing, did ye? That seemed like the best plan to the three of ye, did it? Ye gormless fools ... ye blethering, useless idiots.  Donkeys, the three of ye! No, donkeys have more sense that yers! Get on with yers! Go on, get back out there and don't ye dare come back with nothing but yer sorry tails between yer legs again! Where's mah whip! Who has mah -"

The caravan was already turning around, the three workers not daring to stay any longer for fear of what might happen if she found her whip. Not that they'd ever seen her whip anyone, but she was a fearsome woman when her temper was up.

Zillee View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 05:48
"And what was that all about?"  The voice came coolly from the doorway, its origins residing in a man of younger years to the lady of the settlement. "Making a display of yerself for what? For a pittance of stone we can hew out of the rock in the quarry in a few hours?"

Zillee shifted in her chair, her only acknowledgement of the criticism as she continued to read through the latest messages that a lad had brought up to her in the main hall of the castle.

"I don't know why ye get so worked up over ... nothing," the man continued. "It's not like we're in dire need, with the gifts that keep coming."

"Alex, ye know nothing. We need ... all we can get if we're gonna be ready before the shield lifts. If I'm harsh, it's because I have to be," she finally replied. Zillee looked up, eyeing her brother with slight exasperation. "Time is running out. We have to be ready."

He crossed the flagstones of the floor to where the long table was set in the centre of the hall. "What do ye think will happen when the protection lifts, Zillee?" he asked more gently. "Hordes of orcs crashing through the gates? Armies laying seige from all quarters? Ye worry too much."

He moved around the table to stand at one side of her chair, reading the letters over her shoulder. His eye caught one that his sister had just finished writing, a reply of thanks for the last caravan of welcoming goods that had arrived at Booshka. "Ye could be a little more gracious, ye know, in yer wording," he observed drily.

"Never asked for their help," she muttered, picking up the parchment in question and folding it up ready to be sealed.

"No, you didn't," Alex acknowledged. "But I bet ye aren't gonna return them either." He smirked as he spied the small smile on her lips. Point. "Can't ye just accept them for what they are? Gifts of welcome, ye stubborn idiot."

"Nothing comes for free," Zillee replied, her lips setting into a thin line. "There is always a price."

Alex shrugged. "Worry about that later, eh. For now, as ye said, we need all we can get. What's this?" He picked up another letter, skimming it briefly. "Seems like a good offer this. But where the feth is Windlost?"

"No idea," she said. "Doesn't matter. I've put them off for now. We'll be fine on our own."

Alex fell silent, contemplating his sister as she hunched over the plans for the library expansion. She looked tired, strung out. And it had only been a few days since they'd arrived and Booshka had been founded. "Come with me," he said softly, and pushed the plans away, taking her hand and leading her back outside. A few minutes later they were climbing the steps that led up the side of partially constructed walls.

"Look," he said, directing her gaze to the land before them. It was a pleasant view, predominantly green plains with clusters of trees sporadically placed. In the distance a range of mountains and to the north denser forests. And all about, in every direction, other settlements. One in particular rather imposing and only a short walk away. "We will not be able to sneeze soon enough without our neighbours calling out 'bless you'. Is this where you want to be?" he asked.

"It's the land we were given," Zillee replied slowly, but with a frown.

"There are alternatives," Alex said simply. "Don't cut us off, Zil, don't isolate us because of some misplaced sense of pride."

She glared at him. "If ye weren't my brother I'd have yer tongue for that," she snapped.

He folded his arms and stared back at her. No smile now, just a look of steady regard. "Think about it."

Zillee squeezed her eyes shut as she fought back the desire to smack his smug face. By the stars, she hated it when he was right. She took a deep breath, opened her eyes and made her way back down, heading to the library. Where the feth was Windlost anyway?

Edited by Zillee - 11 Oct 2011 at 05:57
Zillee View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 04:41
Adam knew what he liked. Gold in his pocket, a foamy tankard of ale and a long pipe stuffed with good weed, all to be enjoyed in congenial company in the tavern. Sat in his favourite chair close to the warm hearth, all should have been well. Crocker and Bills had joined him, Crocker reeling off his usual off-colour jokes with aplomb and Bills silent but grinning as the three of them supped their ale served up by Moll, the best sort of tavern wench one could hope for. Adam eyed the buxom lass with appreciative eyes as she moved about from table to table, rolling her hips in sassy walk. She had a figure a man could truly enjoy, padded just enough to give plenty to grab hold of but not so much that you were reminded of a sow. And yet, the man was distracted by other thoughts.
Finally he grimaced and after a long puff on his pipe, shook his head.

"I dunno," he said and heaved a sigh.

Crocker looked at Adam, puzzled but staying quiet, knowing that if he waited long enough whatever was vexing Adam would come out without prompting. It didn't take too long.

"I dunno ..." Adam repeated. "This move when we've only just got established. Doesn't sit right."

"Ah," Crocker said, and nodded his head.

"Just seems a bit sudden, yanno?" Adam continued, looking to his friends for agreement. "Not sure about this whole ... teleportation thing either. Don't seem right that such a thing can be done with no sacrifice or whatnot."

It would not be an exaggeration to say that Adam's knowledge of the arcane arts was limited at best. But he knew, like most did, that at some point of the casting ritual, a cow was killed.

"You'd think that such a powerful spell would take a whole herd," Adam said, knitting his brow. "But her uppiness seems to think it'll work without a bit of spilt blood. Just seems strange that we can be here in Tor Carrock one moment and then in another place in the next. And nothing goin' wrong in between."

Bills gaped a bit at this, his jaw slackened and his eyes wide. "What d'you mean by goin' wrong, Adam?" he asked.

Adam sucked on his pipe thoughtfully, leaning back in his chair. "Well, may be we won't be quite the same as we are now. May be yer teeth drop out, or your hair goes grey. Or ye lose a leg or summat. These are funny magiks, powerful stuff. A whole hamlet being moved with no consequence? I think not!"

Crocker grinned, showing the gaps from already missing teeth. "May be I'll get some of my teeth back!" he said with a laugh. "Could be that there are changes for the better. May be Moll will decide she likes me enough to take me home for the night!"

Adam raised an eyebrow at Crocker, a bit put out that the man had decided his tankard was half-full, rather than joining in the gloomfest. "That would take a miracle, Crock. Ye'd have to be the last man alive and Moll turned blind, deaf and dumb."

Crocker snorted and lifted his tankard to his lips, drinking deep. The wench in question had wandered over and smiled brightly at the trio. "Did I hear my name being mentioned?" Moll asked. "What yer looking so miserable about, Adam? Ye'd think someone had peed in yer ale!"

"Ahh ignore him," Crocker replied. "He's grouching over this teleport-a-tational spell that's gonna zoom up across the land. Thinks it'll turn out bad!"

Moll laughed. "You daft thing," she said to Adam. "It happened half a candlemark ago and ye didn't even notice!" Shaking her head, she replaced the empty tankards with full ones and then sauntered away, three pairs of eyes watching her rather splendid behind as it swung from side to side.

"Ah well," Crocker finally said. "No new teeth for me then."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic