Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChapter 1: The out of place man.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
(EOM) Harry View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chapter 1: The out of place man.
    Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 20:46

Robert hated running.

But whatever kept him away from the computer made his life so much easier, his friends had seen the state he was in and it had been getting to them too, Rob had gotten angrier and more hostile since the summer had started. His eyes were always blood shot and the bags under his eyes had doubled from the last time he had come out into town, even then he seemed pre-occupied and blank, staring in to the distance with an uneasy look, sometimes moving erratically on his chair, shuffling from side to side as to get a better view into the distance.

So his friends took him running, swimming, drinking all to keep him away from an unknown pain.

Rob walked up the second part of the hilled wood, he was pleased with himself because he always walked at the start of the hill, this time he ran. He had more energy, more adrenaline, a will to finish the run as quickly as it had started.

It was never enough.

His friends were slimmer and fitter than him and had run ahead. They were already calling for him to take the next left down the hill so that they could start the 2 minute sprint to the finish. Robert hated sprinting as well; his belly and chest wobbled and shook as he ran, not by a lot but just enough so he could feel it.

Robert came to the path that lead towards the downward slope to the end of the forest. Out grown trees and bramble bushes clung to Rob’s shirt and tracksuit bottoms, the clearing shrunk into a small and muddy path.  In the distance a dark cloud brewed over the tree line and birds flew from the swaying branches, He was almost alone in the forest now, it was late and all the dog walkers and runners had all left to return home to their Saturday night TV and warm beds.

The only person left beside Rob was a tall man standing on top of two tall stumps, his arms held onto two nearby branches and the two piece suit he wore blended into the night, only his white under shirt could be seen under the pressing light of the upcoming moon.

'Hey, are you alright mate?!' Rob had a feeling that the man was out of place.

Not that he wore a suit in the middle of the forest or that his featureless face seemed to blur into the surrounding trees and bushes. He was just out of place.

Rob ventured forward, his friends voices dissipated into the thick growth of the forest and soon all that Rob could here was the cracking of sticks underneath his feet and his own heavy voice. Even the forest grew deathly silent.

Rob came into the clearing, a perfectly spherical opening with two tall logs crossed over each other, forming an X over the forest floor. There stood the man, feet either side of the middle of the X. He was not standing on two tree trunks, his legs were the trunks, they were ridiculously tall, slim and tall. His suit stretched over his twig thin legs that lifted him high above the biggest branches of the trees to either side of him. His arms were not hidden by the branches. They were the branches, both spread wide root like finger tips filtered down each other and spread themselves wide, stretching across the cold and harsh air.

Rob looked up and cried, the figure had no face and no hair. The head sharply tilted downwards, looking at Rob as if the creature had eyes and burned his very soul. Rob fell to his knees and coughed violently. A piercing headache split his head in two and his eyes dripped blood every time he blinked, soon his eyes were full with tears of blood and his coughing had forced him to lie crumpled on the floor. The figure contorted over Rob’s violently twitching body and pressed his head against the crown of Rob’s cold and sweaty head.

A voice shot through Rob’s headache and spoke into his deepest consciousness.

“You researched me, you wanted to know me. So I wanted to know you, I have watched you in the darkness and in the light, I was with your enemies and your family and your friends, I watched you sleep and eat and cry, and I deemed you not worthy, not strong enough for me. You were a waste of my time and now I will take your fear so that you can repay the time you wasted' His voice was cold, monotone, distorted.

Rob screamed through his coughs as the branch like arm wrapped over his chest and his neck.

'YOU...WEREN’T...REAL! YOU... WERE... A.... STORY!'

The slim man spoke into Rob’s head once more.

'YOU Humans brought me to life with your thoughts and fears, now I will use them to bring myself into this plain'

Rob spoke for the last time: 'You are Slenderman'

'I am Slenderman' 

Edited by (EOM) Harry - 12 Jul 2011 at 22:25
Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 20:52
4\5

Edited by Kurfist - 12 Jul 2011 at 20:53
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
tallica View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by Kurfist Kurfist wrote:

4\5

Only cuz you weren't in the story!
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 22:54
Good start. Sort of classic "dream becomes reality", which is fine, of course. And the description of the treeman is catching.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 23:32
Originally posted by tallica tallica wrote:

Originally posted by Kurfist Kurfist wrote:

4\5

Only cuz you weren't in the story!

True, any story with me in it becomes true work of literature
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
(EOM) Harry View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 22:30

Ch.2

The inspectors claim.

Malice entered the inspectors office, it was dank and grey. Family portraits held up with blue tack encompassed the computer screen and the smell from DCI Trent’s breath made Malice even more angry than she already was; she had phoned the police four hours after they got home from the run, scared that Robert had not come home,  she told the police about his recent “troubled state” and managed to blag an immediate search of the area, a minimal search but it was better than nothing.  They never found him.

After the search had found clothes in the position of a curled up man and Malice identified the clothes as his, the search became extensive. The local newspapers had even picked up the story and it had been front page of the “Weston Mercury” for some time, however with no body and no evidence of harm, the papers quickly lost interest and so did the police, after three months. The police claimed that they had reason to believe Robert had “legged it” as the inspector abruptly put it. A premeditated act, a quick change of clothes and he had walked out the woods to start a new life.

Malice laughed in his face.

She was disgusted, Robert was not a coward. He was always on his laptop, researching his next big adventure or his next adrenaline “hit”, he wasn’t a normal junkie though. Instead of sky diving and rock-climbing he liked to scare, nay petrify himself with hunts for the paranormal.

Malice went with him once, hours before he started to change.

They were all there; Craig, Malice, Jimmy, Franks, Spongy and Rob, he had driven them into the heart of Glastonbury. Three hours down the motorway in the dead of night, Rob comforted them as they blasted down the vacant stretch of road “This one is a piece of piss, it’s basically already proven to be just an internet fake but there were some sightings last Glastonbury festival and I want to start you guys off slow” Malice could see Rob’s trademark wry smile appear in the glow of the passing headlamps.

They took a left into Glastonbury and parked on a one way street, A sleepy cottage stood to the left of them and an open field to the right. Rob had jumped the fence eagerly and strode into the distance, whilst the rest of the group sleepily dragged themselves out the car. They had walked half way to the first turnstile and.....

Malice drew a blank, she remembered it so clearly a minute ago but now her memories seemed to vanish, replaced by a burning white and a screaming silence that pierced the back of her very brain. Almost like standing too close to a speaker when it’s plugged into the audio system. She stormed out in blind rage of the inspector’s office and headed off back to Rob’s flat, hoping she would find some answers to the night she forgot and her missing friend.

Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic