Topic ClosedPersonal API Keys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 16:04
Well, I think town data is one thing - as it's something you could already get in its entirety from the game interface - but something like combat reports should/would be an opt-in thing.

I think the limited key comes into usefulness if it's something that can't be gained (by a third-party) from the general game interface, but *might* be something you want to publish (in a standalone app / closed-user group / intranet application / public website context).

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 30 Mar 2010 at 16:05
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 17:55
Ok, I see.

I wouldn't think anyone would want to advertise battle reports outside their alliance, unless their own losses/survivors were not shown, but rather only the damage they caused.  Otherwise, why not just hold an open house for scouts while you're at it? Sleepy

Edited by HonoredMule - 30 Mar 2010 at 17:55
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 03:50
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Ok, I see.

I wouldn't think anyone would want to advertise battle reports outside their alliance, unless their own losses/survivors were not shown, but rather only the damage they caused.  Otherwise, why not just hold an open house for scouts while you're at it? Sleepy

That same argument applies to eve, and yet you see it all of the time. Eve is more time dependent, so the degree / timing of information released would be different. Still its a useful application.

Whether or not there are alliance keys (which make sense) personal ones are still necessary because otherwise you're artificially handicapping the abilities of non-alliance players. And unless you're willing to have every member in your alliance have full access to the key, then only the alliance leader gets any fancy tech toys, which is lame.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 04:14
Originally posted by Larry Larry wrote:

Ok, I see.

That same argument applies to eve, and yet you see it all of the time. Eve is more time dependent, so the degree / timing of information released would be different. Still its a useful application.

Whether or not there are alliance keys (which make sense) personal ones are still necessary because otherwise you're artificially handicapping the abilities of non-alliance players. And unless you're willing to have every member in your alliance have full access to the key, then only the alliance leader gets any fancy tech toys, which is lame.

Knowing that someone has just had their entire army smoked is a large intel point which does not have an equivalent in the Eve limited (or full) API - which is why battle reports are much less likely to be widely posted here. 

The other browser game I (and many of the Harmless crew) play actually has a gentleman's agreement that posted battle reports are edited to remove location coordinates before posting.  Unfortunately even that's not going to work here because the number of cities a player owns is much smaller.
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 04:58
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Originally posted by Larry Larry wrote:

Ok, I see.

Knowing that someone has just had their entire army smoked is a large intel point which does not have an equivalent in the Eve limited (or full) API - which is why battle reports are much less likely to be widely posted here. 

The other browser game I (and many of the Harmless crew) play actually has a gentleman's agreement that posted battle reports are edited to remove location coordinates before posting.  Unfortunately even that's not going to work here because the number of cities a player owns is much smaller.

Fair enough, but Killboards are honestly a pretty insignificant use of API keys anyway, that KB may or may not show up in this game doesn't particularly address the API question.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic