illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Code: 2nd Draft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Code: 2nd Draft
    Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 05:21
Here's a 2nd draft of The Code, simplified and integrating selections from the feedback I've received. Thanks to all who have encouraged and participated! Your feedback will determine whether there's a 3rd draft, or if this will become the final draft. Thanks in advance!

THE CODE

Preamble
We, the honour-bound Adherents to The Code, seeking to encourage friendly and fair contests of strength among all willing Illyrians, desiring that those defeated in such conflicts be allowed time to rebuild their might, and embracing an optional alternate feudal hierarchy, put forth the following code of conduct for the consideration of all.

Articles
1. Proclaiming Adherence. I publicly proclaim my adherence to The Code and understand that I must do so by posting notice thereof to this thread with a link to my profile, at the top of which will be written "Adherent to The Code: " followed by a link back to this thread. Furthermore, should I ever choose to suspend adherence to The Code, I shall post notice thereof in this same thread and make note of that suspension on my profile as well.
2. Mutual Defence. I pledge not to attack any Adherents to The Code that show any activity on their growth charts, except as permitted within the Articles of The Code, and to defend those who follow The Code against any outside aggressors who do not.
3. Friendly War. I may, at times, seek out friendly conflict with other players who abide by The Code. It shall be understood by all parties that such a conflict carries with it no emotions of anger, hostility, or ill will, and therefore may be deemed a "friendly war".
4. Public War Declarations. I shall publicly declare my intent to initiate a friendly war prior to any military actions by creating a War Declaration thread on the forums proclaiming that this conflict is to be carried out under The Code, with a link to this post.
5. Fair Targets Only. I shall only declare a friendly war against another Adherent who has a population no less than half my own population, whose growth charts show activity within the past week, and who is not currently engaged in a similar war, said war having been previously and publicly declared.
6. Joining Existing Conflicts. I shall only join an existing conflict if my population plus those on whose side I would join would not be more than twice the population of the opposing side, and only upon receiving a written request by the primary participant (being the participant with the earliest join date) on whose side I would join. Furthermore, prior to taking any action related to the conflict, I shall post notice of joining it within that conflict's War Declaration thread, including the written request to join it, the name of the requestor, and my current population.
7. Yielding & Tribute. I shall cease all hostilities against an opponent if I am shown proof that a payment in gold equal to 100 times that opponent's starting population (as previously captured in the related War Declaration thread), hereafter known as tribute, has been sent towards the primary participant on my side. This will serve as an offer to yield, which I shall automatically accept. If I am the yielding player, I shall post notice thereof on the War Declaration thread, which will serve as proof of that action to all adherents to The Code.
8. Peace & Right of Vassalage. Upon having accepted an opponent's yield in a friendly war, I pledge not to attack them or join in a conflict against them for a period of no less than three months. Furthermore, I shall accept their Right of Vassalage, should they choose to claim it, in which case I shall pledge to protect them from any who would aggress against them for a period of no less than three months and shall add their name to a "Vassals" section within my profile. If it is I who am claiming Right of Vassalage, then I shall state that claim in my yield notice on the War Declaration thread, and during the time it is in effect I shall add "Liege: " followed by the name of my primary opponent in the conflict in which I yielded near the top of my profile.
9. Lieges & Vassals. I recognize that any two players may agree to adopt a liege/vassal relationship at any time, provided that a vassal may have only one liege, and that this relationship requires the liege to protect the vassal, the vassal to faithfully support the liege, for the vassal to post notice of this relationship in this thread with a link to their profile, and for both players' profiles to be updated to publicly proclaim that relationship. Furthermore, I understand that any change in this relationship must be proclaimed by a post in this thread by the initiator of that change, and reflected in the profiles of both players at the first opportunity. Further, that I may not include the population of a player's liege or any vassals when considering whether that player is a fair target, per Article 5, even though a liege may join a conflict on the side of their attacked vassal, as they are honour-bound to do, even if this results in the combined population of their side being greater than twice that of their opponent.
10. Adoption by Alliances. I understand that The Code is not limited to individuals, but may be adopted by alliances. In the event an alliance adopts The Code, its leader is to be treated as the point of contact for purposes of tribute and yielding, and the current member list along with their populations (as taken from the Alliance Members page) is to be posted in the War Declaration thread and used for determining the fairness of a target (e.g. with no less than half their combined population) as well as the amount of tribute the alliance must pay should it wish to yield. If individual players leave an alliance during war, they may be considered part of the conflict until they pay their individual tribute.
11. Ceasing Hostilities Without Tribute. I understand that I may release an agreeable opponent from conflict at any time, for any reason, and will post notice thereof on the War Declaration thread.
12. Titles of Honour. I shall recognize those who follow The Code and honour them by giving them a title related to their number of vassals, including in this number any and all sub-vassals, which the recipient may request be taken from any culture as long as it is roughly equivalent to the following:
Sir: no vassals
Lord/Lady: 1 vassal
Baron/Baroness: 3 vassals
Count/Countess: 7 vassals
Duke/Duchess: 15 vassals
Petty King/Petty Queen: 50 vassals
King/Queen: 100 vassals
High King/High Queen: 250 vassals

Again, feedback is welcome. 

Also, I will be creating a Slack channel that will only be available to those of you who become Adherents to The Code. If you think you might be interested in following The Code and wish to be a part of this Slack channel, simply send me your email via an in-game message and you'll receive an invite.

Yours,

Mafro
Kimmyeo View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimmyeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 05:31
I really like your idea. I am considering it for my entire alliance. I will be taking this to the council for discussions. Thank you for all your hard work. ClapClapSmileSmileWinkWink
Highest Regards

P.S. I had an idea that you could sell a specific medal that said that player was and Adherent. 55 prestige to buy it from you, and I'll help with minting cost. Just an idea

Edited by Kimmyeo - 07 Sep 2019 at 05:34
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 05:49
Thanks again for all your feedback!

I have posted what I hope will be the final draft of The Code, simplifying it further and incorporating additional feedback. Here's a link: https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/the-code-final-draft-for-feedback_topic10677.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic