illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Now Offering: ~50k Military Units in BL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 04:50
Thank you all for your time and interest! All winners have been informed and their armies are soon to be set to their tasks. Big smile

Yours,

Mafro
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 06:33
Quick update: the operations by my auctioned armies are now over. For those of you who approached me worried you were going to be targeted...well...if you haven't been yet, then you won't be.

There's been a fair amount of interest in what happened, so here's what I can share:

On one hand I consider this a smashing success in that it was SUPER FUN! The sheer amount of intrigue, hidden grudges, etc. in this game is awesome. For those of you who confided in me - don't worry, your secrets are safe, even if you didn't end up winning any of the auctioned armies. Wink

It was also fun to engage in various military maneuvers and see their impact. I'm pleased to say that one of the winners of the auction was even able to use the armies they acquired to bring an end to an undesired conflict by forcing their foe to surrender on favorable terms. All without the time or ongoing cost of having to build or use their own troops, and with minimal risk if it failed - now that's smart.

On the other hand, I lost gold on this, mostly because I structured the auction poorly. In particular, players waited to bid until the last minute, and then several bid just a little more than the last amounts I had published. As a result, most underbid, failed to win any armies, and later told me that they would have bid much more had they realized they had been outbid. The result was that in some cases I didn't even cover the basic production costs of the troops, and in no cases did I also cover their upkeep for even the single week during which they were in use. I also completely neglected to consider the cost of resurrecting dead commanders.

That said, the sheer fun factor here made it totally worth the cost.

In addition, in a mixed blessing, most of my armies made it out intact, which was unexpected. In fact, I only lost about 5k of the 50k units. The bad side is that I still have the upkeep costs for them, which I thought would've been much more greatly reduced. The good side is that this affords me the opportunity of doing a second auction, which I am highly motivated (by my gold burn) to do. And maybe this time I'll figure out a better structure for it.

Thanks for reading and taking part in this experiment in game play! Please note that I won't be sharing anything with anyone about who won what, etc. If those that won armies come forward, I will validate that they did so, but I will not reveal anything to anyone outside of that validation.

Look for a new thread on my second attempt at auctioning my troops, coming soon...bye for now!

Yours,

Mafro
zolvon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolvon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 09:54
Brilliant! Thumbs Up
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 22:26
Thanks, Zolvon! It's definitely been fun!

If you'd like to follow the 2nd auction, here's a link to that thread: https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/2nd-military-auction-in-bl_topic10626.html.

Cheers!

Mafro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic