Topic ClosedGame of Risk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Taron View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game of Risk
    Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 03:30
As we all well know this is a great game, Friendships are built, people talk to one another, share ideas, and everyone tries to make this Illyriad a way they want it to be. That all everyone wants to do is own a little section and claim it to be theirs. We want to build cities and grow, have tournaments and compete. Everyone likes to be in chage of something and do anything to defend what they have created. Just like Risk.

If people are not fimliar with the game Risk it is completely based off... well taking a risk. 3 to 8 people play and try to dominate the world, kinda like Illyriad, except its more like a couple hundred players and alot more time involved. But in Risk it enforces more action then in Illyriad. In order to win in Risk You have to attack in order to win. Ya I know you cant really win at Illyriad but its still played like Risk.

See in Risk everyone starts out happy, cause its a game, and you know the players, most the time. In Illyriad, you know a hand full or less, maybe no one at all. But its a game and you are happy cause games are fun. In Risk though you pick or randomly get your spots and stratagize. Usually you make an instant ally, cause having more armies than another makes you stronger, usually. The same in Illyriad. But where Illyriad some times dosent go is to the risky part.

Risk, its a game of stratagy, you have to choice who to attack and who not to. Illyriad has the same situations, except its not by force but by words. Risk has the same thing, you talk trash bout someone, you most likely wont last long. Illyriad has the same effect, you talk smack to someone who is bigger, you most likely will get a nice knock on the head and sat back in place. Then there are times when in Illyriad people dont get smacked back in place and therefore are removed by force.

This is where the whole communitee gets involved like in Risk. In Risk when one player takes out another, INSTANTLY that person is considerd the biggest threat. Why? Because he whiped someone off the bored. This is the same in Illyriad. But instead of one person, its alliances. When one alliance decides to destroy another, and succseds, they are considered "dangerese". Then the entier Illyriad decides to get all up and about and yelling at each other like a bunch of old men about how prices where lower in the 70's. The funny thing is, nobody does anything.

I'm not saying we need more war and less politices. The thing behind this post is simple:
Its a game of strategy, risk, and how the communite will react.

The Other point I'm trying to make as well is that, ya there are big mean bullies out there, but if a new player keeps there head down, find an alliance to help or maybe start there own they most likely will do fine. But, if a new player starts yelling out and punching at people who are bigger..... They better be ready to be smacked back. Like in Risk, you talk trash, you'll get trashed.

Peace, Love, and happienes
I am Responsible for what I say.
I Am not responsible for what you understand.
Attila the Hun View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 03:36
Hail Aesir..
It's just a game. :)
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 16:05
I have no idea what Taron is saying.  But that is typical.  :)

Taron, using another game as an analogy only works if your audience is familar with the other game.

Is your complaint that you can not find enough enemies to fight?  If so, make a "Enemies Wanted" thread in Politics and ask for an enemy...size and composition of alliance, terms of victory for your war.
Attila the Hun View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 16:26
That's not what he is saying TD, he even said this "I''m not saying we need more war and less politices. The thing behind this post is simple:
Its a game of strategy, risk, and how the communite will rea

It's just a game. :)
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 16:55
That's an interesting analysis, but I'd like to offer a few points of diversion:

Risk has an endgame and a single winner.  That's a very powerful and fundamentally different premise.  In Risk, considering a player who has just wiped out another as the biggest threat is a convenient way to finger the next victim who isn't you.  It's political strategy.  In Illyriad, no one has to vie for position on the global axe list.  Here we genuinely don't want to see good players squeezed out of the game, because that hurts the game population and community.

The result may often be the same, but it's still a political struggle which interests some and bores others.  And the difference in underlying motive is very crucial to the outcome/effect.  That's why players have been wiped out in the past and the actors were absolved of their involvement.  Because the removed players did more damage than good, the "enforcers" were considered (by the majority) to have done the community a service rather than damage.

Another fundamental difference is in the level of scrutiny.  Risk has up to 8 players, and when one player takes another down, there's no missing it.  Here such deeds can be performed under the radar.  Few players actually participate in the forums, and if necessary an enemy can be vilified so his removal does not cause sufficient offense to generate blow-back.

At a social level, these factors also generate a lot more randomness of chance.  Will the victims cry out for help?  Will the community accept misinformation as fact?  Who's taking notice, and what is their moral persuasion?  This likely leads to some people wanting to misbehave but fearing the risk involved.  They probably don't notice much how there's a lot of risk in anything approaching evil or success or weakness.  The latter two cover just about everyone else as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic