illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thieves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 20:36
ah - that is where there is a difference

One caravan could carry an almost infinite amount of gold, but for thieves one piece of gold is the same as one of anything else. So yes, gold is limited by their carry capacity.

So that's 64 gold per human master thief, 60 gold per dwarf halfling, 54 gold per elven dark elf and 76 for each orc plunderer

Pity thieves can't take a caravan with them ;)
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 20:45
The 1 gold = 1 item rule is silly from a logical perspective, but it's necessary to preserve game balance. Otherwise you could just disband armies with a single big t2 thief strike. We accept lots of absurd abstractions, such as a city of 10000 people being unable to notice a theft attempt by 50000 thieves that takes literally all supplies in the city. Or the absurdity that highly trained thieves might randomly prefer a giant pile of lumber over all the swords and armor in the city arsenal (or for that matter, all the rare and precious minerals used for crafting).
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 09:59
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

Troops do not steal books or beer.
Hmmm... My mistake I thought that we were talking about thieves. t1 thieves do.
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:23
The classic way to identify who has thieved you is to note the direction the thieves came/went and continue the line until you hit a town. It's not conclusive and leads to frequent arguments. However, if you have a reasonable number of thieves yourself and a suspect, you can look at the suspect's diplo score and look for a jump at the time of the robbery. By this method I know the following players have the following number of thieves in one of their towns (The vector method can help identify the town)

Korg 45,600
Stuebenus 75,000

This may be of help to other players - so maybe post big numbers in this thread.

Edited by Hucbold - 22 Jan 2018 at 11:24
Zenorra View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenorra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 13:42
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

The classic way to identify who has thieved you is to note the direction the thieves came/went and continue the line until you hit a town. It's not conclusive and leads to frequent arguments. However, if you have a reasonable number of thieves yourself and a suspect, you can look at the suspect's diplo score and look for a jump at the time of the robbery. By this method I know the following players have the following number of thieves in one of their towns (The vector method can help identify the town)

Korg 45,600
Stuebenus 75,000

This may be of help to other players - so maybe post big numbers in this thread.

First off, this thread was about what things each kind of thief can steal, not about how many thieves are in a specific player's city.

Second off, I guess this should tell you not to mess with TCol. Wink
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 15:47
The change in diplo score corresponds to the diplo defense that was defeated (or the attack that was successfully resisted). It does not correspond to the points in the successful side. If you send 100000 spies against 5 spies, then your diplo score will climb by 5 spies, not 100000.

Anyone making an accusation should first do the math. Assuming there were still theft-worthy items remaining, you can total the stolen goods. By dividing the carrying capacity of all racial thieves, only one should come out to an integer without a decimal fraction. That gives the race of the thief. Of course, if they steal everything available, there is no tracking via that number.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 17:27

Well, that's partially correct, you can extrapolate a line drawn from the thieved city, through the fleeing thieves to the thieves base city. However, there will certainly be many cities along that line, because you do not know how long the line needs to be. Knowing the race will reduce the number of suspects, but you still have to pick the fly sh*t out of the pepper to get down to one suspect.

And as Ken Tulch correctly states

Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

The change in diplo score corresponds to the diplo defense that was defeated (or the attack that was successfully resisted). It does not correspond to the points in the successful side. If you send 100000 spies against 5 spies, then your diplo score will climb by 5 spies, not 100000.

This means that the "diplo spike" is not conclusive. Any increase in diplo activity may be due to other diplo action. The only sure way I know is to track the thieves to their den and watch them go in. Foreign offices are a boon for this purpose.

As for this comment

Korg 45,600
Stuebenus 75,000

I could add Xander 20989, although that number may be smaller now because his city is a lot smaller now after exoing to a couple of feints and gold burn may be an issue.

Edited by Yitshak - 22 Jan 2018 at 17:31
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic