illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tournament Square Update!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Hyrdmoth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyrdmoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 13:23
I'm not sure I understand the issue with the API key. If you are attacked by an army you receive this information as it is, as long as you aren't completely crushed.
Cilcain View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cilcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 13:51
Originally posted by Hyrdmoth Hyrdmoth wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the API key. If you are attacked by an army you receive this information as it is, as long as you aren't completely crushed.

Hyrdmoth - what you say is true.  The difference the API makes, is that the person receiving the data from the API will get data for ALL combats (crushes or otherwise), from ALL players who have provided their API key - whether the combat is part of the tourney or not.

The power of the data comes from its volume and granularity.  With it, you could build up a pretty accurate picture of everyone's strengths and weaknesses, even if you've never personally had a combat with them.

There's a Spiderman quote rattling around somewhere about power and responsibility.  I don't believe a player, however honest and honourable, should have that responsibility.

Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 18:33
You can send armies on covert operations if you do not want to have them listed in the combat API.
Arian View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 21:06
Any way not to have my city name on it?  Maybe I'll just rename all my cities to LazyDevs  1 through 10...........
'Do you want ice with that?'
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 21:33
Unfortunately there is no way to keep out your city. And sorry Arian. Even if you rename the city... each city has an unique ID which is also included in the reports.

But neither te city nor the city ID will be tracked for Kodabears tournament because this information is not relevant for the tournament.
ubluntu View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubluntu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 02:36
Please prevent players that are currently occupying a square from leaving their alliance. This was the case for the last official tourney and I feel is expected behavior.

Thanks!
mjc2 View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjc2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 19:40
Originally posted by Luffster Luffster wrote:

I cannot see any reason why the town from which the armies were sent from would be required for any Tourney

if the Tourney grouped cities by region instead of alliance or player name this could become required because then a player could potentially have cities on multiple "teams" in that Tourney.  Storm has been debating on doing an internal Tourney using region as the deciding factor on which "team" everyone is in and there are several members that would be on 2 or 3 of the 5 proposed "teams" we have based on which city they launched from.
mjc2 View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjc2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 20:02
Originally posted by Cilcain Cilcain wrote:

– but my point is, that security of this type of information should not depend on personal trust. 

here is where i disagree with you, but that may be how i see this game verses how you see it.  i do not see this as a war game, i see it as a political game that has "war" as a political tool to help achieve some of your objectives.  in politics, personal trust is everything, if you dont trust others then you cannot achieve your goals as easily/quickly but you also need to learn how to tell who you can/cannot trust.  the easiest way to figure this out for someone you dont know is to rely on their reputation, hence i still think my wording of the question is still valid, just replace "koda" with "tournament organizer".
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 09:30
I also found a bug in the combat API.

When you send an army to occupy an empty square it produces a report.
But in this report there are no division names.
Ingame it shows the name of the division but in the API report it only shows the division ID, not the name.
In all other cases (attacks, defenses, ...) it also shows the division name.

Example:
<armies><army><armyname id="577286">Sov</armyname><divisions><division><divisionname id="891940"/><commandername id="259946">Katherina Heilenhorst</commandername><commanderhealth>100</commanderhealth><units><unit><unitname id="89">Mangonels</unitname><unitquantity>1</unitquantity></unit></units></division></divisions></army></armies>

Usually it should look like this to include both the ID and the name.
<divisionname id="923968">Test</divisionname>

And I also have a suggestion which makes using the API easier and will also reduce the load on the server.
Please include the X/Y coordinates of the battle also in the combatreportsapi, not just in the reports. Kodabears King of the Hill tournament happens only on specific squares (the designated tournament squares). Having X/Y in the combatreportsapi would be very helpful because the reports for other squares can be sorted out immediately without the need to check them first.
Captain Kindly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Kindly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 14:22
Everybody can hold their own tournament, under their own rules and circumstances.

The whole API-key distrust seems to come mainly from the top alliances. Planning a war, guys?  TongueWink

From a player who has always competed in tournaments while in a smaller alliance's pov, I would not mind at all if the big guys stay out of it. The tournament that ran during the Consone war (the one with the soul-forged blade and naked warriors as prizes) was one of the most exciting one, exactly because of this reason. Because tournaments are more exciting if the battles and sides are closer balanced. But if you are less paranoid about the available data, feel free to join in. I understand H? is competing too. Wink

I like Digioso's suggestion to add coordinates for sorting purposes. 

HUGcr is not a big alliance and many of us are busy in RL this Spring, so I've decided to go for a smaller tournament later this year, as a battle training that is more fitting to our smaller players, without getting wiped out 5 mins after arrival by whoever comes by. I'm sure there are alliances sharing the interest in such an option. I would like to thank Kodabear and the Devs for making this a permanent possibility without the need to go and change diplomatic relations all the time.

Speaking of which, are we going to revive the tournament forum for logistics around this, so that no tourneys are overlapping on squares?

Edited by Captain Kindly - 02 Apr 2016 at 14:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic