Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 03JUL15 - No More Research Technology Carry Over
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

03JUL15 - No More Research Technology Carry Over

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Agalloch View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 08:20
its no trick to wanna keep the hard work you spend starting this game, how many buildings wrong ... wrong  researches started , harvesters send on weeks long trips its more than a *trick*.
Dravin the Sloth View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dravin the Sloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 09:38
an addendum

i mean to make no suggestion that use of the safety net for the reasons it seems most likely meant, retention of players, a softened landing for the vanquished, is remotely tricksy.  it would be the subversion of that intention into other purposes that merits the description.  
Malek View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 11:41
Agalloch, 
I could not agree more. To me it appears that the people that take the military path in this game are penalised the most. The others that just log in to chat and build pretty cities have the free ride and think they know best. Players like you and I that like the military route, we lose a town we have to undertake all the same research tasks again. The others they build towns and only have to do it once.  Its just not cricket, military players tend to spend more on prestige, this stems from prestiging armies for both offense and defense, for high troop production towns, there is prestiging basics to compensate for that, and prestige building for various operations as well as prestiging diplos. 

The Devs have oft spoken of more friction in the game. If you want more friction in the game, do not put roadblocks in the way of that. If I can cap a town to get full tech I will, I do not care 1 iota about research, it hinders my gameplay in being able to achieve the desired result. I have done the research, why should I have to keep doing it over and over again when i lose a town? Its counter productive and makes people not want to lose their precious cities as they know that they could lose the work that they put into them. 
The investment in time to build a city is exceedingly high, the amount of time to lose that city is exceptionally low, surely this can be seen. As I have recounted previously, the braking for the research in this game is crippling. There are still a lot of vets that play that have been here for a number of years and have up to 10 or so established cities. How are newer players able to compete on an even keel with these guys?The research is what holds them back in building towns able to compete as each town that is settled needs to start from scratch. With the new sat account rule, there will be a steady decline in high researched cities as the town base in the game shrinks. 

Simply, stop penalising military players, as we are the ones that put our towns on the line for our gameplay style, why should we be penalised for research? I am already bored with research at some point if i keep losing cities I will simply stop playing because I really cannot be bothered logging in just to queue the same research I keep losing when a town is lost. 

This shortcut would have been good to use (and i did know about it) as it allows me to play and get back into the action. Yes I have to exodus and prestige build, but at least I can build what I need when I need it.  I would be out of commission for 3-4 weeks rather than 2 months doing stupid research that I had already completed. 

The entire research process needs to be overhauled, whether research times are increased and are carried over for the entire account so you only have to research it once, times are further adjusted or we can queue up to 10-20 at once as you cannot prestige research where is the harm in queuing multiple research items. Say you click on plate armourer and it will queue all the pre-requisite research to achieve that, similar to the civilization games. 

Just my further rant on how bad the research mechanic is. 

Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 13:14
Good call devs! Clap
If you clone the research game is just pay to win.

Now you must at least compete for the abandoned cities or to capture active researched cities and that is real friction. I'm sympathetic to "military way" but there must be other way to make war more profitable. 

twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 13:30
totally agree..current research times also brakes active game playing....maybe the devs need to bring this function of the game into line with other functions as it seems to ruin many other game activities and deters not only attracting new players but discourages players from continue log in.....I suggest no research times over 12 hours...let's promote active playing and get more players in the game
Malek View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 13:38
Originally posted by Thexion Thexion wrote:

Good call devs! Clap
If you clone the research game is just pay to win.

Now you must at least compete for the abandoned cities or to capture active researched cities and that is real friction. I'm sympathetic to "military way" but there must be other way to make war more profitable. 

Cloning Research towns is not pay to win. Even if you did clone the towns you would then have to build them up. Should that be done you are just left with a built town. No troops, no sov claimed, 0 xp commanders. It will take you a month or two even with pres building to be semi combat effective. Definitely not pay to win. It will become pay to win when you can buy gold direct instead of prestige or insta build armies. Gold is still the most limiting factor in this game as it should be. 

As for competing for abandoned cities, it will be hard to do that if you are sieging from broken lands when the sieges can take weeks to arrive only to find someone else got in looooong before you.

If you have another way to make it more profitable put it up, the people with the free and easy ride in this game are the city builders. 

Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 14:50
I have many times read version of "its not farmville"sentence which I agree in essence with but its not Travian either you can also try some other game if only want war. War is costly in illyriad and building take time. I have done that and it was quite interesting in my opinion to begin again from few towns.

There is plenty of ways devs could make war and military more profitable and interesting:
-Siege captures also the resources, and the resources of traders of that town.
-Make part of the population return after the siege is over and them repair the damages automatically
-Allow raids and attacks capture advanced and crafted resources
-Make harvester raiding possible by making it anonymous if you win with also allowing scouts and troops attached to harvester caravans.
Possibilities are endless..

Use prestige to speed up building and clone your research means surely another step closer to pay to win game.  Also if it would not be fixed it would be another step towards game where you just try to new find loopholes in game mechanics and take advantage. I don't think that game would be fun to play or to follow for many years.    

Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 15:51
The problem here is still caused by the clunky mechanic that research can be captured intact from an unwilling populace, but not taught between your own cities. Presumably that is why people were repeatedly capturing the last city of a 0 population account--it had complete research, allowing them to focus only on buildings. The complete research was never destroyed because every time the account's last city was captured, it would pop up again on the map with research intact.

That loophole couldn't be allowed to remain when people are (hopefully) getting closer to finishing the Audrey quest. But it's also rather silly that it was required in the first place.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 16:31
brand there are other tricks that are still in game play that accomplish trading research that are still in game play...what this deletion accomplishes is to end one way for new players to get into battle ready ness quicker....tricks are used daily and many are easy to spot....just look at accounts in the game after deletion time and figure out how is done..........tricks usage is part of any game and with the complexity of this game they are hidden every where.....if the devs want to slow the game maybe they should also consider taking away prestige building...that function is really pay to win especially in a building game..research mainly limits other functions and not building...there are other ways to brake the game so again ask the devs to reconsider this

Edited by twilights - 05 Jul 2015 at 16:33
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 18:40
Illyriad is not pay to win. The very suggestion is laughable. I have played P2W games where a player can spend $1000 and instantly be the most powerful account on a server by a factor of 5x. That is pay-to-win. Until Illyriad offers a way to immediately produce troops with in-game currency, it will not even distantly resemble P2W. Building completion is a convenience, but it does not result in the same huge power shifts associated with insta-troops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic