illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Smorgasboarding: Pros and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 04:10
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Could we adjourn the bullying discussion to another thread?  The purpose of this thread is to discuss "smorgasboarding," which is the use of in-game mechanics to intimidate, dissuade or otherwise influence (coerce?) players into not expressing viewpoints with which one may disagree.

Thanks!

Is that what this is all about?  Here I thought you just had a deep passion for smorgasbord.  My bad.
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 04:35
Sorry Stukahh, entirely different thing.  Smorgasbord is a noun.  Smorgasboard is a verb.
Thorgrim View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 13:03
How about Smorgasbored? It is a state of mind.

Wink

Edited by Thorgrim - 31 May 2015 at 13:04
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 23:34
Originally posted by Thorgrim Thorgrim wrote:

Wink

Not familiar with it.  Is it relevant to this thread?  If so, please define.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 15:10
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Originally posted by Thorgrim Thorgrim wrote:

Wink

Not familiar with it.  Is it relevant to this thread?  If so, please define.

Seeing as this is a pointless thread any post would be relevant to it thus making a pointfull thread with no relevance. Beer
Kaggen is my human half
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 17:29
If you believe the thread is pointless, there is not a need for you to post here.  I think the topic of whether and under what circumstances it is a good idea to attempt to prevent a person from expressing ideas in chat or on the forum through using game mechanics such as diplos, attackes etc., is an interesting and worthwhile topic.

Therefore, I'd appreciate if people returned to the topic at hand.
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 19:24
anybody watching the hockey playoffs?
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 22:32
I do agree with Rill.  Let us discuss the relationship between the forum and the "in game" aspect.  If we allow that they are the same thing, as Rikoo seems to think, then there is a price to be paid for saying things others either disagree with or get upset by.  In the end it would seem only those strong enough will be free to express their opinion as the rest may find it just too costly. 

The answer seems to me to be what do you want the forum to be?  If it's an extension of the game then the large alliances should tell us all what we can or cannot say right up front. For me it's not fun to be attacked for what I've said in the forums and it would be just better off if those who want to dominate the forums as well as the game would publish a nice list of my opinions for me. 

On the other hand, if the forums are a place where all players should be allowed to express their opinions (within the bounds of civility I would think), then there must be a general consensus that letting forum disagreements spill over into GC and game action is not healthy for the gaming community.  And if we were to have that I think the forums could be a lot of fun.

So the question revolves on to what purpose the forums are to be put.  As an extension of alliance power and control, or as a free wheeling (more or less) and free discussion of important topics where all members can speak up without fear of in game reprisal.

AJ
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 23:13
I do not see the forums as "separate" from "in game". I see it as an extension of GC where one can speak in paragraphs without getting hammered for walls-o-text. More importantly, it has a permanence that GC does not.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 23:39
In reviewing some of the comments I've missed I find this:

"Are you really proposing that you should get to trash talk however you like, and nobody responds within the confines of the video game? That's just silly. An in-game action is far more reasonable than a lot of your trash talking."

From Brandmeister.

My response is two-fold.

1) First, since the word has been applied to my actions, let's see if my actions were or have been "trash-talking."  We can of course call anything we disagree with by the term, but to do so is to ignore the purpose of language, to communicate.  I could call you a 'racist pig' and make it stick so long as you let me define what "racist pig" means....in this case I would just claim I meant it to mean a "nice guy"...but you wouldn't believe me, would you?  So definitions are not arbitrary things to just throw around and we are not the Cheshire cat who famously said, "A word can mean whatever I want it to mean, nothing more, nothing less."  So from the dictionary:  Trash Talk: "insulting or boastful speech intended to demoralize, intimidate, or humiliate someone, especially an opponent in an athletic contest."    Since Brandmeister has decided that some of my comments were "trash talk" do tell me which were of that nature. Which were insulting or boastful statements intended to demoralize, intimidate or humiliate someone? 

2) Second, I've also been accused of slander.  The definition of slander is simple: to knowingly say something that isn't true with the intention of damaging the reputation of another.  The key to understanding it is that the one slandering understands that the evidence of his or her statements does not fully or strongly support the conclusions (meaning that they are jumping to conclusions) and thus the statement may not be true to the point that a reasonable person would not have said it.  Thus, you to slander you must both know what you are saying is not warranted by the evidence (not "proved" but warranted) and you must actually damage the reputation of the other person.  I bring this up because when you say I have engaged in "trash talk" one of the following three things must be true: 1) you have evidence that such is the case and can and will provide it; 2) are mistaken about the term and have miss applied it; or 3) you knew that the statements I've made were not trash-talk but used the term to damage my reputation.  My belief is number 2.  I don't think you would have intentionally used the term if you had understood that what I have done is not "trash talk."  But since terms do have meaning and that meaning is best adjudicated by a dictionary I would suggest that you should produce said evidence or an apology for your understandable mistake.

AJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic